Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Friday PM
    40min easy run
    Decent run and decent pace. Legs did feel a little weary starting out but soon loosened out.
    Time:39:02, Dist:8.94km, Pace:4.21km, TSS:80

Saturday
    Brick Session with race pace snippets
    Bike
    Plan called for 1hr on the bike with with 5x1min race pace +30watts at the end of the bike and just before the run. Legs felt a little dead tbh and the wind was bloody savage as you can see from the avg speed on the 1min race pace intervals:o
    Time|Dist|Power|Avg speed
    1min|.53kms|283watts|31.5kmph
    1min|.44kms|297watts|25.9kmph
    1min|.37kms|278watts|21.7kmph
    1min|.46kms|304watts|27kmph
    1min|.59kms|287watts|34.3kmph

Time:1:05:37, Dist:33.16kms, Pace:30.3kmph, Power:AP203w/NP210w, Cad:79,TSS:74, KJ:785

Run

A quick 30sec transition off the bike and straight into a 20min run which included 6x1min at race pace and 1 min easy. It took me about 2/3 minutes to settle the legs and the race pace efforts did feel tough, i was working darn bloody hard i can tell you. Whilst they were slightly downhill it was head first into a gale so probably equalised each other out.
    Tough enough work and i am looking forward to/dreading tomorrows race in equal measures. Short and fast is a different type of suffering:)
    1min race pace efforts went, 3:50, 3:32, 3:39, 3:35, 3:31, 3:24
    Time:19:17, Dist:4.59km, Pace:4.12km, TSS:40
    Having a laugh at the name calling myself. In my head don't see you as real people but rather have carton characters in your place :)

How did Mr Tango get his name? I can have a rough guess at the rest.
    Not sure how he got his name but i am sure i will find out:) The name calling and banter adds a bit of fun to things alright. All set for London?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Friday PM
    40min easy run
    Decent run and decent pace. Legs did feel a little weary starting out but soon loosened out.
    Time:39:02, Dist:8.94km, Pace:4.21km, TSS:80

Saturday
    Brick Session with race pace snippets
    Bike
    Plan called for 1hr on the bike with with 5x1min race pace +30watts at the end of the bike and just before the run. Legs felt a little dead tbh and the wind was bloody savage as you can see from the avg speed on the 1min race pace intervals:o
    Time|Dist|Power|Avg speed
    1min|.53kms|283watts|31.5kmph
    1min|.44kms|297watts|25.9kmph
    1min|.37kms|278watts|21.7kmph
    1min|.46kms|304watts|27kmph
    1min|.59kms|287watts|34.3kmph

Time:1:05:37, Dist:33.16kms, Pace:30.3kmph, Power:AP203w/NP210w, Cad:79,TSS:74, KJ:785

Run

A quick 30sec transition off the bike and straight into a 20min run which included 6x1min at race pace and 1 min easy. It took me about 2/3 minutes to settle the legs and the race pace efforts did feel tough, i was working darn bloody hard i can tell you. Whilst they were slightly downhill it was head first into a gale so probably equalised each other out.
    Tough enough work and i am looking forward to/dreading tomorrows race in equal measures. Short and fast is a different type of suffering:)
    1min race pace efforts went, 3:50, 3:32, 3:39, 3:35, 3:31, 3:24
    Time:19:17, Dist:4.59km, Pace:4.12km, TSS:40
    Having a laugh at the name calling myself. In my head don't see you as real people but rather have carton characters in your place :)

How did Mr Tango get his name? I can have a rough guess at the rest.
    Not sure how he got his name but i am sure i will find out:) The name calling and banter adds a bit of fun to things alright. All set for London?

I will ask Mr Tango tomorrow about the origin, although a have a fair idea already.

Sportsman Duathlon Race Report
    A very short one as DNF. Set off at the front and just slotted behind the lead group, I was tracking Fazz and realised 2:50km pace would not be sustainable so slowed a little. Through 2k in just under 7mins, i was moving well and probably sitting top 20. Into a pothole shortly after and over on the ankle. Ran on for 300mtrs but copped on as it felt bloody sore, hobbled back to transition and into the pub to get ice on it straight away.
    End of race report and an expensive bowl of soup and 2k run for €20 :(
    What a load of sh1t, hopefully no serious damage done as I cannot afford time off training with Roth fast approaching. A pretty meh day tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I hope the soup was at least quite tastey. Tend to the ankle - swimming might be your best bet for right now...depending...

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

Did the same thing to my ankle a couple of weeks back, back on bike and swimming straight away, just take it easy on the running for bit lad, hopefully it's just an over stretch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭El Director

Dude how are we today?

Dude how are we today?

Ankle is stiff but not too sore, thankfully no swelling or bruising this morning so thats a good sign.
    Just a swim tonight with pull and no kicking off the wall. I am hoping i can get back biking and running straight away but not going to be stupid about it either.
    Glad i pulled up yesterday as could have done damage carrying on.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I hope the soup was at least quite tastey

This made me laugh DD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

;)

And I'm glad you're on the mend. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Unlucky with that pot hole JB but good call pulling up. Much much bigger fish to fry kid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Can't miss you on the photo just after the start either :D (nicely tucked in nr the front there)

sportsman-duathlon-april-dundalk-2012.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Which one?

Oryx wrote: »
    Which one?

The nice looking one on the left;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

The nice looking one on the left;)

How long after this was taken did Fazz trip you up and pretend there was a pothole there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

More to the point where the hell am I at this early stage???

Going away time or else so tucked in you can't even see me, my sunglasses, Pulse gear nor my shiny red runners???

That's gas!

Fazz wrote: »
    More to the point where the hell am I at this early stage???

Going away time or else so tucked in you can't even see me, my sunglasses, Pulse gear nor my shiny red runners???

That's gas!

Strange alright as i was tracking you :)

Monday
    2km swim set
    Full set with buoy and no kicking off the wall, just to suss out the ankle. Main set was 10x50p as 25fist/25sw and 2x200p steady and 3x100 mod hard.
    Time:45mins, Dist:2000mtrs

Tuesday
    Short/Easy bike
    Ankle feeling fine so decided to get out for a cycle while the young lad played ball. I had left the zipps/tubs on from Sundays race and just over 20mins in and 11km from where the young lad was playing ball the rear tub got a puncture. The rescue call home was made so i could get back and collect the young lad in time:rolleyes:
    The only positive is that i had no pain from the left ankle.
    Time:about 23mins, Dist: short of 12k, Power:about 196w.

If you get a puncture in a tub is it a case of now replacing it or can it be repaired? Never fitted a tub so pretty clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Monday
    2km swim set
    Full set with buoy and no kicking off the wall, just to suss out the ankle. Main set was 10x50p as 25fist/25sw and 2x200p steady and 3x100 mod hard.
    Time:45mins, Dist:2000mtrs

Tuesday
    Short/Easy bike
    Ankle feeling fine so decided to get out for a cycle while the young lad played ball. I had left the zipps/tubs on from Sundays race and just over 20mins in and 11km from where the young lad was playing ball the rear tub got a puncture. The rescue call home was made so i could get back and collect the young lad in time:rolleyes:
    The only positive is that i had no pain from the left ankle.
    Time:about 23mins, Dist: short of 12k, Power:about 196w.

If you get a puncture in a tub is it a case of now replacing it or can it be repaired? Never fitted a tub so pretty clueless.

They can be repaired but unless its a high value one its not worth the effort.

What tubs do you run and how do you stick them on?

tunney wrote: »
    They can be repaired but unless its a high value one its not worth the effort.

What tubs do you run and how do you stick them on?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=30230
    Conti competition tyres. They look to be glued on and the tyres would have low mileage on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=30230
    Conti competition tyres. They look to be glued on and the tyres would have low mileage on them.

same as myself, not worth sending away for repair. You *could* try and fix it yourself.

Its up there on my bucket list of things to do including :
    * learning how to repair tubs
    * building a wheel
    * I was trying to think of something funny and witty here to say about Mrs JB but no luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Best bet is sell those damn tubs and get Zipp Firecrest clinchers ;)

tunney wrote: »
    same as myself, not worth sending away for repair. You *could* try and fix it yourself.

Its up there on my bucket list of things to do including :
    * learning how to repair tubs
    * building a wheel
    * I was trying to think of something funny and witty here to say about Mrs JB but no luck.

You can always try your first repair on my wheel, i will drop it down to you:). Looking at you tube clips of changing over tubs and it really is putting me off them:rolleyes:
    Bambaata wrote: »
    Best bet is sell those damn tubs and get Zipp Firecrest clinchers ;)
    No more spending this year Ed:) well apart from a wetsuit with inflatable arm bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

I did know a few who repaired tubs and the general feeling was its not worth it. (this was many moons ago so may by things have changed)

there is a sealant option, not sure how good it is or if I would trust it for a race, but may get you through training
    http://www.totalcycling.com/a-z/tires/tires_road_tubular/prv_pitstop.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Do you want to be worrying about a repaired tub in a race or would you feel safer with a new one on your bike??

Also, I've recently glued a set of those tyres to my own race wheels.

Wednesday
    Lunchtime Swim - 2.7km set
    Kept the pull buoy in for this but the ankle is feeling grand so back to normal swimming from now on. I done a nice steady 1k wu and i was feeling good in the water clocking an 18.11 for a 1.49/per 100. I then focussed on some drills as 4x50 f/scull, 4x50 m/scull, 4x50 ripple, 4x50 catch up, 4x50 fist. Done 5x100 off 2mins coming all in around 1.45 for easy effort and finished with 200mtrs of back crawl and back stroke for a warm down.
    Time:60mins, Dist:2700mtrs

Run - Acid test!!
    This was due to be a short run to see how the ankle was, 10mins, 20mins kept progressing onto 50mins in total and no problems thankfully. I really enjoyed this run for some reason, nothing special about it pace wise or anything i just enjoyed it. Chuffed that there is no issue from the ankle and i can get back to training properly. The few 4:20s thrown in on this run felt effortless and even though i have not been running the last few days i was moving very well.
    Time:49:56, Dist:10.94km, Pace:4.33km, TSS:96

On the life front things are looking good. The project i have been working on in work for the last 6 months has now completed. Also an issue which has put me through the ringer and has taken up far too much head space/time for the last 5 months has finally come to an end. Both of these dropping off the radar at the same time now means i am ready to go into my "bubble" and concentrate at getting ready for Roth...... after all it is only 79 days away:eek: Sub 10 for sure!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Great to hear things are looking up JB. When are you off for your warm weather training? Anyone heading with you? Id love to have gone only it didnt suit Mallorca! Sounds like it will be great

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭El Director

Great to hear the positives JB on the injury front and life things!!

Bambaata wrote: »
    Great to hear things are looking up JB. When are you off for your warm weather training? Anyone heading with you? Id love to have gone only it didnt suit Mallorca! Sounds like it will be great

Flying out Saturday for a week. I have to sort a few things with the house and mgt company over there but apart from that it will be eat, sleep and train:)
    The Father is coming over to keep me company and help out with the house stuff. He will do a bit of his own training as well, not happy with his time in Barcelona he has targeted the Edinburgh marathon in May:rolleyes: Now i know where i get the craziness/stubborness from!!

Thursday
    Lunchtime Run
    Not sure what is going on with the running but you will not find me complaining. Easy run pace now edging into 4:2x territory...it must be difficult to read for Peanut Man & Mr Tango for Roth considering their easy pace is probably 20/30 secs slower:)
    I would have expected a bit of a drop off on running since dropping volume from the marathon but its clear the early season marathon focus is paying off in the legs as i just feel as strong as an Ox. So much so i may target London Marathon next year as my next sub 3 attempt #2:rolleyes:
    Time:39:05, Dist:8.85km, Pace:4.25km, TSS:79

Evening Bike
    Quick change over to the road bike with the PM etc as its travelling over to Turkey with me. It will take a ride or two to get used to it again compared to the P2, a bit like going from a Ferrari to a Fiat123. I also noticed my saddle is too low compared to the tt so i will be changing that.
    Time:59.53, Dist:28.67kM, Power:AP204w/NP208, TSS:66.

Friday
    4.1km swim set - Fight Fight Fight!!!
    After all the talking about swimming etiquette in the logs there was near killings in the fast lane at lunchtime with guys standing/blocking the wall....call it swim rage similar to road rage.
    They all went at it and had a covk measuring contest whilst I slipped into the other empty lane and got on with my work:). A 4.1km set with a good 1.5k of B+B work which i am now getting to grips with….a good but tough session.
    Set was
    WU, 200sw, 200p, 100k
    4x100 with pt paddles
    500p (5x100B+B)
    400sw (4X100B+B)
    300p (3X100B+B)
    200sw (2X100B+B)
    100p (1X100B+B)
    WD 200 b/crawl and b/stroke
    B+B work ranging from 2min to 2:10 towards the end.
    Time: 1:30, Dist: 4.1kms

Just printed off my Training Peaks training schedule for next week whilst away and i cannot wait to get stuck into the workload. About 25 to 30 hours of training with 2 nice long bikes with IM specific work, Long and Medium Run with IM specific work and a timed IM distance sea swim amongst other sessions.
    Focus is to finish the week tired but not broken or injured. Refueling and listening to the body will be important as my previous busiest week was about 23 hours or so. Bring it on!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Just printed off my Training Peaks training schedule for next week whilst away and i cannot wait to get stuck into the workload. About 25 to 30 hours of training with 2 nice long bikes with IM specific work, Long and Medium Run with IM specific work and a timed IM distance sea swim amongst other sessions.
    Focus is to finish the week tired but not broken or injured. Refueling and listening to the body will be important as my previous busiest week was about 23 hours or so. Bring it on!!

:eek: nice hours,

a silly question B+B
    this is band and buoy, do you find them any good, as I have tried the band alone and struggle with 100m.

tnks

Advertisement