Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

haha that sounds deadly "leading" the race, hope the hip's ok. Looking forward to see your total time this week!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Bambaata wrote: »
    haha that sounds deadly "leading" the race, hope the hip's ok. Looking forward to see your total time this week!!

It was pretty fun alright and same happened on Saturdays spin as well. Will try stick up a weekly summary tonight but i reckon its over 30hrs of solid work put down!!

Friday Eve #7 Turkey cont
    Long Recovery Run
    I had planned on a short recovery run but this turned into a very slow junk recovery mileage type run:rolleyes: but enjoyable at that with the Father. It was his last run and i felt i owed him the company on this one with all his help through the week. He ended up doing a 110km running for the week, not bad for an aul boy!!
    Legs actually felt better coming back than going out and this almost felt like walking pace:)
    Time:1:36:53, Dist:15.57km, Pace:6.15km, TSS:101

Saturday #8 Turkey
    2hr Easy Bike
    This was well within easy, headed out to watch stage 7 of the tour. Ended up waiting around for an hour for them to start. Did end up spinning with Renshaw & Co from the Rabobank team as they were heading to the start:) I felt embarassed on my old road bike compared to their machines.
    Time:1:52, Dist:50kms, Power:AP180/NP193, Cad:73, TSS:109, KJ:1087, Climb:705mtrs

45min Core & Stretch
    Legs felt much better than yesterday. Got this in before packing up and heading home

Sunday
    Short Run
    It actually made a refreshing change heading out into the wind and rain. Plan was to run this easy and short as i was not sure how the legs would feel. Headed out turned the garmin on under rain jacket and off i set, i knew i was moving very well with great leg turnover. Effort felt top of easy and pushing into low steady at times. Legs feel super strong and i was surprised when finishing and looking at the avg pace...it felt about 4.30/4.40km effort:)
    Time:35:18, Dist:8.31km, Pace:4,15km, TSS:77

Weekly numbers
    Turkey week|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|27|32:21|608.52kms
    Swimming|6|4:57|14.77kms
    Cycling|8|16:59|502.40kms
    Running|9|7:40|91.35kms
    Strenth/Core|4|2:45|N/A

Biggest week ever put down. Solid work put down in the sunshine of Turkey and i finish the week with the work in the bank and not overly tired. The cycling in particular was challenging with rolling hills and generally poor surface, sure was averaging around 27/28kmph on most rides to give an idea.
    I was really happy with my work ethic for the week and there is a few standout sessions. I have an idea now on what i expect to target for splits in Roth and there is no reason to suggest that sub 10 will not be mine. I did start to miss the family towards the end of the week but happy to be home now and with all house related stuff sorted as well.
    Recovery week next week and it will allow me absord this training. My CTL/ATL/TSB are at an all time high but you need to factor in no work/life stresses last week. If i had to try and do a similar week with all that stuff mixed in i would be in bits right now!!

Monday
    2600mtrs swim set
    A mix of 200's steady and some 100's mod hard. Felt very good in the water and the frequency of swimming last week seems to have helped a great deal.
    Time:55mins, Dist:2600mtrs

Seems we are back in business on the turbo front, replacement interface unit returned from Bike24 who are fantastic to deal with. Machine was out of warranty and they still shipped a replacement part costing €200 with no questions asked. Thats what i call customer service.

I am actually looking forward to getting back on the turbo....i missed it.

• Advertisement

Tuesday
    Lunchtime dreadmill, 45min progression run
    I took one look outside the office window and seen a gale and rain blowing about so decided on the gym. I was due to do 45mins but lasted 37mins, i hate the bloody things. I upped the pace after each km and at a guess i probably started at 5min km pace and finished somewhere around 4min km pace. It was only starting to pinch after i passed 7km.
    Time:37mins, Distance:8.29kms, Pace:4:27km

Very late turbo
    Missus was out running and i was having a ball with the kids, the smallest one is now running about the house so now 4 mobile and active kids to chase after. This was due to be 75mins of an easy turbo but i did not get on until after 10pm far too late. I was sort of glad when the little one woke up 26mins in so i could get off as i was not enjoying it. No stats uploaded yet but avg wattage getting off was 185.

Feeling a bit flat this week and no motivation to get out and train. Its expected i suppose as i have been non stop training since October and the IM journey one can be a long one. I know i went through a few "why do i this to myself" moments last year but they do not last long.
    Hopefully a run at lunchtime will help and i have a tough turbo on paper for tomorrow.
    I rolled over on my swim this morning but will need to try and get it in at at 9pm tonight. I have agreed with Michelle that between 5.30pm and 9pm i simply cannot train they have my complete attention so it really places the importance on hitting my early morning or lunchtime sessions. Late sessions are not fun and i have seriously let the early morning sessions slip of late.

Where i think i am at right now
    Goal is still very much sub 10 however the perfect race and performing to what i believe is my absolute best would look like…….….

Swim: 1:15
    T1: 5:00
    Bike: 4:59
    T2: 5:00
    Run: 3:17 (4.40km pace)
    Total: 9:41

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Feeling a bit flat this week and no motivation to get out and train.

Feeling a bit like that this week myself. Two hard races the last two Sundays, and the weather hasn't helped either. Still, its not as if I have only my second HIM ever in just 10 days.

Hope you snap out of it soon.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Jesus, lads, there must be something in the air. I think its the fact that the weather is still like January (ok today is better) and we have been on a training hamster wheel for a long time.

Feeling a bit like that this week myself. Two hard races the last two Sundays, and the weather hasn't helped either. Still, its not as if I have only my second HIM ever in just 10 days.

Hope you snap out of it soon.
    Oryx wrote: »
    Jesus, lads, there must be something in the air. I think its the fact that the weather is still like January (ok today is better) and we have been on a training hamster wheel for a long time.

I suppose you have to experience the downs to enjoy the ups throughout the training process. Cannot feel the training love all the time!!
    Hamster wheel is a good description Oryx:)

• Advertisement

Wednesday
    45min Lunchtime run with 5x30builds
    Fairly normal run nothing too exciting about it, build pace was all around 3.55 down to 3.30 pace.
    Time:41:40, Dist:9.38kms, Pace:4.27km, TSS:83

3000mtr swim set - Missed session:mad:
    Having rejigged things around in my head i forgot i had to drop the eldest lad to scouts so a late swim was off the cards, annoyed with myself as i cannot afford to miss any swims.

Thursday
    60min turbo with 2x20min @ 100% FTP
    I had contemplated doing this before work but its not the type of session you can roll out of bed into, come 10pm last night and i wish i had a go that morning:rolleyes:. Given the fact i have done no work around threshold due to being turboless the last while, it was late and generally i was having a "training low" for the week. I did not want to do this and expected to fail miserably hitting the numbers.
    I buckled up the seatbelt, jumped on to see how i got on. I had downloaded one of The Sufferfest videos to see what they were like and stuck on Hell Hath no Fury which boasted fine girls but it also helped there was two 20min segments to ride along to. The first 5mins of the first rep was a shock to the system and legs however i dug in for the first set and came out bang on my FTP of 284w but it was tough work. After 5mins easy spin i was dreading the 2nd set. I launched into it and i was really starting to feel the burn. It felt like an eternity so i stopped looking at the watch as time was standing still. With a few minutes to go i was hovering around 282w so i got into my happy place and pushed that little bit harder (there is always an extra gear) and brought it up to an average of 286w and just over FTP by the time i finished.
    I was a wreck getting off the bike but a happy one at that. Quick recovery shake and a shower and i could not sleep for an hour after as i was still pumped from the session. A big kick up the hole i needed, i secretly love these sessions but only when i get through the other side of them knowing i gave it everything:)
    Time:1:06, Dist:37.3kms, Power:AP250/NP263, Cad:79, TSS:118, KJ:985

Friday AM
    Core/Maintenance
    I had a 4km swim set planned this morning but given lack of sleep and the legs being tender i opted for a 45min session and i will do the swim later today. I had my two little girls for company at 6.30am so the session was done to a mix of Dora the Explorer and Mickey Mouse clubhouse:) At least i got up to do an early session albeit a different one.
    Time: 45mins

I have the Boyne 10k on Sunday, unsure what i am capable of and slightly more nervous for Michelle who is doing her first 10k, excited for her. Some battle for training time going on in our house:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭El Director

Good luck on this weekend to you both Fran. Loving those best senario figures dude, that would be a dream come true. I think it is only natural for the mojovation (my new word :)) to be down after training in beautiful weather on good road surfaces with no work, especially coming back to that awful weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Where i think i am at right now
    Goal is still very much sub 10 however the perfect race and performing to what i believe is my absolute best would look like…….….

Swim: 1:15
    T1: 5:00
    Bike: 4:59
    T2: 5:00
    Run: 3:17 (4.40km pace)
    Total: 9:41

You planning on making tea in transition? Or do you need to get an adult (or adult sized person) to help you with your shoe laces?

tunney wrote: »
    You planning on making tea in transition? Or do you need to get an adult (or adult sized person) to help you with your shoe laces?

:)

Yeah taking a quick look i see MCOS was a 5.33 combined in both transitions and checking a few others they range between 4 and 6 minutes. As you say it could take me a while to find someone to tie my shoe laces!!
    I think your combined transition target time is 20mins what with that nice chilled bottle of sauv blanc and the family pack size of haribo jellies you have lined up in T1:)

Full of good intentions this morning for a 5am start to a 4hr bike session. Near 9 now and due to an attempted break in to work last night and feck all sleep I am now resigned to the fact that it will be 4hrs on the turbo trainer later....FML

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Full of good intentions this morning for a 5am start to a 4hr bike session. Near 9 now and due to an attempted break in to work last night and feck all sleep I am now resigned to the fact that it will be 4hrs on the turbo trainer later....FML
    You have my sympathies. A turbo that long would make me weep. Which is why I'm hoping for reasonable weather tomorrow... or Ill be doing one too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ah crap that sucks, I struggle to get to 5 minutes on the turbo an hour is a big achievment but 4?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

3 hours on the turbo steady is about as good* as 4 on the road IMO for an equivalent session. You spend longer with a higher HR on the turbo and your systems are working harder as a result...

Just saying in case 4 hours doesn't come to pass :)

*I have several of them coming up over the summer no doubt...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

3 hours on the turbo steady is about as good* as 4 on the road IMO for an equivalent session. You spend longer with a higher HR on the turbo and your systems are working harder as a result...

its ok jb has just divirsified for the day and is now on the pitch at wembley..as.craig bellamy #spittinimage

Job done but that took some focus.
    Oryx wrote: »
    You have my sympathies. A turbo that long would make me weep. Which is why I'm hoping for reasonable weather tomorrow... or Ill be doing one too.
    Ah crap that sucks, I struggle to get to 5 minutes on the turbo an hour is a big achievment but 4?! :eek:

Yeah I think they used similar torture methods in World War 2. 4hrs is a long time alright, pretty sure I done 1 or 2 5hr stints last year. Not fun needs must and it was my only option today.

Mike this really did not help as I passed the 3hr mark:) Good luck in GLR tomorrow.
    its ok jb has just divirsified for the day and is now on the pitch at wembley..as.craig bellamy #spittinimage
    Not the first to say it, perhaps it's because he is a short ass aswell. We did not deserve the win today, very close on Carroll!!

• Advertisement

Friday cont
    45min Lunchtime Run
    This run was cut short as my phone was ringing like mad and i needed to be back earlier than planned for a meeting. Run was due to have some steady and mod hard efforts, ended up getting 10mins of steady effort. I was clipping along nicely for a mid steady effort just under 4min km pace.
    Time:35:36, Dist:8.22km, Pace: 4.19km, TSS:75

3300mtr swim set
    This was originally a 4k set but i had to cut it short as i ran out of time. Just as well as i was swimming sh1t with an avg pace of 2mins on most of the 400s and 200s i had lined up. My stroke felt terrible, stupid swimming:(
    Time: 1:15, Distance: 3300mtrs

Saturday
    4hr bike with 20min run off
    Bike
    So 4 hours on the turbo....i was not looking forward to this:) Michelle had the two girls out shopping so it was me and the 2 lads in the house. I had full winter gear on tights included...anything to practice the heat in Roth:p Plan called for an hour easy and 3x40mins @ IM effort with 15mins easy in between.
    I had the Giro to keep me occupied for the first 1.5hr and then the FA Cup (we did not deserve to win) The first IM effort rolled by at 222w, the second 221w and the third bit at 214w. Even though i ran off the bike very well i think 210w is a more sensible target wattage and should be more than enough for the target split.
    It took some mental focus to keep trucking on especially the last hour. When i finished the last IM effort i had a half hour of easy left and i was convincing myself it was ok to get off...well i stuck it out. I was a sweaty mess at the end but i took plenty of fluids on. I had 3 750ml mixed with electrolyte, 1 500ml Lucozade sport and 500ml water along with an energy bar, banana, 4 gels and nutrigrain bar.
    Happy enough with this one.
    Time:4hrs, Dist:142.4kms, Power:AP 207w/NP 210w, Cad:79, TSS:273, KJ:2945

Run
    A quick transition out of the sweaty gear and stuck on a dry t shirt. Popped a gel and i was out the door within 3 minutes. My knees and quads were a bit stiff but once again i got straight into my running. I was counting my cadence and it was a low 88 starting off so worked on shortening the stride and increased it to 92. This made me feel more efficient and the avg pace dropped as a result. I was running well within myself so happy with the pace as it felt like mid easy effort. I was going to tack another 2kms along the Boyne but got to stick to a plan and the fact i have a 10k tomorrow. I finished feeling good.
    Time:20mins, Dist:8.22km, Pace: 4.28km, TSS:36

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good session well done.

Good session well done.

I am sure you cannot wait getting stuck into the same sort of sessions for Barca, these long turbos suck the soul from you:)

Fran good luck again for tomorrow. Just wondering what's the race plan for it? And also the big question will you defeat your fellow Activ teammate Macanrì??

Fran good luck again for tomorrow. Just wondering what's the race plan for it? And also the big question will you defeat your fellow Activ teammate Macanrì??

No real race plan as such ElD and in the grand scheme of things I just want to go out and enjoy my club race and avoid pot holes:). Legs are a little tired this morning which is to be expected but I will give it a good lash and see what result I get.
    Mac is flying and I know he has probably targeted this one so Mac would be firm favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Good session well done.

+ 1

Boyne 10k Race Report
    I was very unsure how this race would pan out as i knew i would be racing it on tired legs. Its our very own club race around my adopted hometown so my top priority was to enjoy it and hopefully nab a time i would be happy with.
    I jogged from the house down to the start which was about 3km to try and loosen the legs out a little and i included some 30sec efforts at race pace to try waken the legs up. I arrived shortly before the start and positioned myself near the front and bumped into Macanri who was gunning for a sub 38.
    Off we set down West St and as usual i was getting a bit carried away on the front at 3min km pace but that quickly slowed after 500mtrs or so. The first km was slightly downhill and i hit this in 3.40, the 2nd km is all uphill along Mell and some of the 3rd km is uphill and the pace slowed a little to a 4.04 and 3.47.
    I was finding that my head and parts of my body wanted to run fast but i could not turn the legs over quick enough:o. Km 4 and 5 passed in a slow 4.01 and 3.52 to bring me through 5k and halfway in 19.24. I was keeping an eye out on fellow clubmate targets and i noticed two ahead of me who i would normally be ahead of so I slowly started to work on closing the gap. As we turned to head for home we had a slight headwind so i was passing a few along here but also trying to keep with a group. There was another guy who i was working very well with and we took turns each time bridging to the next group ahead. Km 6 and 7 i hit a 3.56 and 3.59 and my legs were really starting to protest.
    Km 8 and 9 was along the Boyne on loose gravel and i was finding it really hard to drive off and felt i was getting little traction, these passed in 4.00 and 4.02 and the pace was slipping. I passed one of the club targets around the 8km mark and had shortened the gap from 200mtrs down to 20mtrs to my other clubmate.
    With 1km to go we were heading back into the town and the atmosphere was electric, i was getting plenty of shouts at this stage from club mates who were marshalling which was good but my target stayed away as he picked up the pace when he knew i was closing. Back onto West St with about 500mtrs to go and i was really having to work to keep the legs going. 200mtrs to go and not what i wanted there was 3 of us in a line, obviously club mates shouted sprint and i duly obliged taking the two of them and hitting 2.20km pace towards the end in the process:) Last km which again was a slight uphill was a 3.55.
    Overall i had a 39:27 and good for 35th place out of 1545 runners so top 2% of the field. It is not a fast course by any means but even on tired legs i would have expected to hit a low 38 (#neverhappy) but hey not to be but i really enjoyed the race. I done an easy warm down back along the course to give a shout out to the missus. I was well chuffed with her first 10k in 61mins and she certainly has the running bug now.
    A massive congrats to our club as it was a huge success and a huge thanks to all those who marshalled and helped with the event. Now the fun is over its back to the IM grindstone:)
    Time:39:27, Dist:10.05kms+(3km wu and 2km wd), Pace:3.55km, TSS:102

Weekly numbers
    30th Apr-6th May|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|11|11:45|249.02kms
    Swimming|2|2:10|5.9kms
    Cycling|3|5:33|197.7kms
    Running|5|3:17|45.42kms
    Strenth/Core|1|0:45|N/A

A pretty sh1t week to start off with and I lost my mojovation (TM of ElD) It turned around towards the end of the week with the solid 2x20min turbo and long bike and run off. I also think the enjoyment of yesterdays race helped a little and it was a welcomed distraction.
    Swim was pants this week!!

61 days to race day, holy cr@p

Well done yesterday Fran. A 10k on tired legs sounds punishing but so long as you enjoyed it. Won't it be really great to race on fresh legs??

• Advertisement

Monday
    Swim
    A mix of 100s with some pt paddles thrown in. Not a great swim as i have a bit of a head cold coming on and i found breathing difficult.
    Time:38mins, Dist:1600mtrs

1hr recovery turbo
    Just an hour easy to loosen the legs out from yesterdays 10k. Took me about 15mins to warm into it. Nasty crash on the Giro!!
    Time:60mins, Dist:31.6kms, Power: AP168/NP170, Cad:87, TSS:45

Another bloody head cold:o all 4 kids noses are running like a tap!! I also have one of those nasty and unsightly cold sores to boot. I need to make sure i am taking all my multi vits, manuka honey and echineaca as i have lapsed of late.
    I have another tough turbo tonight and i have Fight Club Sufferfest video lined up for that.
    Well done yesterday Fran. A 10k on tired legs sounds punishing but so long as you enjoyed it. Won't it be really great to race on fresh legs??
    Yeah racing on fresh legs will be good alright. It was a good race and a bit of a blast, it has left me thinking what i could hit in a targeted 10k RR. That will have to wait until the job gets done in Roth.

Advertisement