Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I think what is more worrying is when you are cranky whilst training and not hitting the sessions in the way you would like. There was an element of that creeping in the back end of last week and it should have been a warning sign for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭El Director

1 swim, a bike and 2 runs all done easy and garminless. Its really only on this mornings run i felt i was coming back to normal from whatever i had. This week will be put down as an easy/recovery one. I was bit like those recent Snickers tv ads......i don't cope well when i cannot train:rolleyes:
    I got a good bit of perspective from the missus and my coach, its not my living, i am not a pro and above all it's my hobby and one which should be enjoyed. Perhaps i was putting too much pressure on for Roth and lost sight of actually enjoying my training.
    Still learning that this game is not all about just getting out and doing the training its about using the brain and dealing with the training lows from time to time and when to let go of sessions.
    Hopefully back up and running properly for next week.

Ya, good points made there. Recently I meet a couple of triathletes and although they are doing very well I good sense an uneasiness about them...the fake/forced smiling is a dead give away. Not being in the moment is another imo. Now it could be nerves but I just got the sense that the enjoyment of the sport was something they'd lost sight of. It just struck me. Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better, time spent recovering now will end up being the best thing for you, though you never think it at the time :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Ya, good points made there. Recently I meet a couple of triathletes and although they are doing very well I good sense an uneasiness about them...the fake/forced smiling is a dead give away. Not being in the moment is another imo. Now it could be nerves but I just got the sense that the enjoyment of the sport was something they'd lost sight of. It just struck me. Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better, time spent recovering now will end up being the best thing for you, though you never think it at the time :rolleyes:

It does seem that a lot of triathletes never seem to enjoy their sport. From reading the logs, you guys do appear to lose a bit of perspective sometimes, grinding out the sessions, stressing over numbers etc.

Seems more prevalent in tri logs than the running logs for example. It's not a bad thing to reminded once in a while that you are doing it for fun and that training needs to be enjoyed.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    It does seem that a lot of triathletes never seem to enjoy their sport. From reading the logs, you guys do appear to lose a bit of perspective sometimes, grinding out the sessions, stressing over numbers etc. Seems more prevalent in tri logs than the running logs for example.
    I suppose it can and does come across like that at times.
    You need to bear in mind the triathlete is trying to perfect/balance three sports. If you speak to most it is very rare they have all three fine tuned at the same time and this can sometimes lead to frustration as they constantly strive for improvement. Running is well...just running. I do really enjoy running but as a single focus it is much more relaxed and requires less juggling than 3 disciplines!! All imo of course.
    nerraw1111 wrote: »
    It's not a bad thing to reminded once in a while that you are doing it for fun and that training needs to be enjoyed.
    Very true it applies in every sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

1 swim, a bike and 2 runs all done easy and garminless. Its really only on this mornings run i felt i was coming back to normal from whatever i had. This week will be put down as an easy/recovery one. I was bit like those recent Snickers tv ads......i don't cope well when i cannot train:rolleyes:
    I got a good bit of perspective from the missus and my coach, its not my living, i am not a pro and above all it's my hobby and one which should be enjoyed. Perhaps i was putting too much pressure on for Roth and lost sight of actually enjoying my training.
    Still learning that this game is not all about just getting out and doing the training its about using the brain and dealing with the training lows from time to time and when to let go of sessions.
    Hopefully back up and running properly for next week.

Whenever I start to lose perspective, I go to Bally8's log and am reminded of the point of all of this. And then I smile. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

I suppose it can and does come across like that at times.
    You need to bear in mind the triathlete is trying to perfect/balance three sports. If you speak to most it is very rare they have all three fine tuned at the same time and this can sometimes lead to frustration as they constantly strive for improvement. Running is well...just running. I do really enjoy running but as a single focus it is much more relaxed and requires less juggling than 3 disciplines!! All imo of course.

Very true it applies in every sport.

Agreed. Wasn't referring to yourself in particular as you seem to enjoy a lot of it. Triathletes seem to push themselves a bit harder which leads to honest critical appraisal of performances.

Normal service resumed
    Friday
    AM - 1hr turbo
    Again garminless/powerless and just a 60min easy session. Felt good on the bike. I had made a few adjustments to the bike late last night, lowered another 5mm and brought the bars in closer. Felt ok but will not get a real feel for it until i get out on the road. Looks to be a fairly good aggro position but its about getting the balance between aero/comfort/maintaining power.
    Felt around an easy 175/80w
    Time: 60min, Dist:33km

Lunchtime Swim
    Set in total had 3100mtrs of work with a 1000mtrs of B+B. Bryangiggsy was in doing his thing and we only 1 or 2 others in the lane for company. Swim started off poorly but i started to find a decent stroke eventually. In particular i felt i was catching the water better and my pull was much stronger going further on each stroke. I was really making the effort of "thinking" about what i was doing rather than muddling through the session which i do sometimes when it comes to swimming.
    Time:1:05, Dist:3100mtrs

Hope to try a few wetsuits on the weekend in B2R as i am upgrading. I shall also be attempting to repair my tub now my Wiggle order and Acetone has arrived for cleaning down....should be fun:rolleyes:

Saturday
    2.5hr Easy Bike
    Out with Bryangiggsy on this one and it was good to have company for a change instead of going solo. Effort was very easy although there was one or two steep bits had me breathing out my a$$. Wind was not the 20kmph MET.ie had predicted, funny that as i thought they were always right:rolleyes:
    Time:2:31, Dist:67.97kms, Power:AP151W/NP175W, Cad:74, TSS:120, KJ:1357

2600mtr swim set
    Main set called for some steady 300's sw and mod 300's with pull. Once again i concentrated on finishing the stroke and not pushing down water with my left hand. Some silly cow near took the head off me in the next lane doing some sort of strange breaststroke/drowning combo.
    Time:55mins, Dist:2600mtrs

Sunday
    1hr Easy Run
    I had company from a few from the running club for this one. Out around a 1km grass trail which is lovely to run on. Felt very good and had to reign the effort in at times, ran strong towards the end. I ran slightly over the prescribed hour to finish up with another lad. Very enjoyable run.
    Time:1:17, Dist:17kms, Pace:4.32km, TSS:138

Weekly numbers
    14th May-20th May|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|9|9:54|173.68kms
    Swimming|3|2:50|8.1kms
    Cycling|3|4:32|133.97kms
    Running|3|2:32|31.61kms
    Strenth/Core|0|0:00|N/A

A pretty low week to start off and the prescribed week had to be ditched for an unplanned easy one to help me recover. Back with a bang now though and with only 47 days to Roth i need to make every single session count between now and then. Decent work lined up this week and an FTP test tomorrow which i am eager to stick my teeth into.

I have decided i am not going to race Challenge Barcelona in September for a few reasons. I want to save racing two IM's in a season for when it counts when the Kona year hopefully comes around and i just do not have the hunger for doing the event. Instead i am looking at doing a HIM as an end of season blow out and i am considering France 70.3 as the climbs should suit a light short a$$ like me.
    It will be up to Abhainn and MCOS to race it out in Barca:)

Monday
    30min Lunchtime Easy Run
    An ok run in warm conditions. I love when the weather is as good as this, makes getting out the door much easier.
    Time:31:35, Dist:7.04kms, Pace:4.29km

30min Bike - testing disc cover
    Just a short enough spin to test out the newly fitted rear tub and also the disc cover. I went at a good clip for about 20mins holding HIM effort to see how it fared. Not sure i felt any advantage apart from the placebo effect. I was holding around 35.5kmph for the 20mins. At least the rear tub stayed on:p
    Time:31:24, Dist:18.29kms, Power:AP229/NP235, Cad:82, Avg speed: 34.9kmph, TSS:44, KJ:418

PM - Group Swim
    I found this very helpful as it was working on balance and body position which for me is a weak area. I found some of the drills tough but thats to be expected. I really want to get good at this swimming lark:o
    Time:45mins, Dist:1500mtrs

Tuesday
    T5+T20 Bike testing
    I did not get on the turbo until late as Michelle was out running and by the time i jumped on i feared i was too tired for it. Took a gel before the WU, stuck on HHNF and away i went.
    The first 5min effort i blasted out the blocks at 370/380w but could not hold it and the power dropped towards the end to come out at 357w leaving me gasping for air. I needed the full 10mins of easy spinning in between to get me ready for the the 20min tt effort.
    Stuck on the 20min segment of HHNF video and got stuck in. I was very careful not to go off too hard as 20mins is a long time in hurtsville. For the first 10 minutes or so i was holding 309w and on the limit but i stuck it in the 53/12 and pushed it on. I was dying a slow death at 16mins and hung on for dear life. At this stage my left glute was causing me some bother but I blanked it out to finish off with 314w and a new FTP of 298w. Thats a 4% improvment and 14w from the last test and an overall 44w/15% improvement since my first test back in October. I was a tired but happy chappy once i peeled myself off the bike. I don't think i nodded off for at least two hours with the adrenaline still pumping going to bed.
    Upload stats later

Wednesday
    30min stretch & roll
    I had the alarm set early for my swim but decided to push it out until lunchtime as i was tired and stiff as hell. I done plenty of stretches to open the hip flexors and also to help with the glutes. It feels like i have been kicked in the a$$ by a donkey from the test last night. Felt a 100 times better after it.

Wednesday cont
    Lunchtime Swim
    Set consisted of 3200mtr in total. I tried to focus on some of the areas i covered off on Monday nights swim and most of it was paying off. WU consisted of some swim, kick and pull and i had some fist and r'n'r drills before the main set. I had 2x400 which i have no time for as i hit some traffic on both but the 3x200 steady came in on 3:42 and 3:44 so nearly back to where i was at. I was focussing on trying to swim downhill and it was paying off as i could feel the back end come up. Fast 50s came in on 48,47,48 and 46. A positive swim for a change.
    Time:1:10, Dist:3200mtrs

45min easy run
    Straight after work and into a straightforward 45min easy run with 5x20sec fast thrown in. Legs did not like this one bit from last nights FTP test and everything felt tight and stiff however i did loosen out towards the end. Fast 20s all ranged from 3min to 3:20km pace. The weather was fantastic, love it.
    Time:43:11, Dist:9.34kms, Pace:4.37km

1hr 20 easy ride
    The eldest lad had scouts to go to so i decided i would throw the bike in the car, park up and head off for an easy cycle to free up the legs further. My garmin edge would not power on for some reason even though its fully charged, luckily i had the 305 with me. A fantastic evening to be out cycling, took it handy (est 180-185w) and was rolling along nicely for an avg speed of 33kmph+
    Back to collect the eldest lad and when we got home there was panic and blood everywhere in the bathroom. Our eldest girl split her mouth open getting out after bathtime. Michelle is not good with blood and it took me an age to stop the bleeding (considered A+E). Rest of the night was spent with her in my arms wimpering. Bad nights sleep and wrecked tired today in work!!
    Time:1:20, Dist:44.65kms, Avg speed:33.4kmph

• Advertisement

At least no stitches were necessary. Whew!

Thursday
    45min lunchtime easy run
    Just not firing on the run today so kept the effort levels very easy almost recovery pace.
    Time:41:38, Dist:8.62kms, Pace:4:50km

1hr bike with 20mins steady/tempo effort
    So after a full hard reset i got the garmin edge working again. This was the first session in the new zones from the test on Tuesday. The aim was 20minutes easy, 20mins steady/tempo effort between 76% and 90% of FTP which is established at 225w to 268w. I kept up the power towards the upper end bringing it in on 256w/86% ftp for the 20mins. Thats the great thing about training with power i find, you are prescribed the set and there is no guesswork if you are/are not pushing hard enough.
    I felt good and strong even after the lacklustre run earlier. I was pushing an avg speed of 35.8kmph into a slight headwind for most of the 20min effort.
    Time:54:41, Dist:31.42kms, Power:AP223w/NP230w, Cad:77, TSS:75, KJ:730, Avg speed:34.5kmph
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    At least no stitches were necessary. Whew!
    No stitches but she still managed to make it down to A+E for a seperate issue. Currently waiting on an X Ray for her ankle this morning with Mummy whilst Daddy plays house wife at home. She is not having a good week of it!! Have not slept properly since 6am yesterday morning....fvked.com

Friday
    I was due to have a run and swim today but i had to drop one session due to lack of time and tiredness. Swim needs to be focussed on so that won over.

4400mtr swim set
    I actually got through this session well and did not tire too much towards the end. Main set conisted off some 400B+B, some 300p steady and 200sw mod effort. Fast 50s came in between 46 and 48secs. That feeling of swimming downhill is certainly helping things.
    Time:1:30, Dist: 4400mtrs

Saturday
    4hr bike and run off
    Bike
    Up at 4:30am for brekkie and down to Dublin for an hour starting at 6am before hooking up with Bambatta and ElDirector for 3hrs with them. I changed the plan slightly and got straight to work doing an hour at IM effort before meeting the lads. To be honest it felt easy and relaxed and i was moving along nicely. Back to meet the lads and we spun easy for an hour before i got stuck into another hour at IM effort. This rose a little higher due to a heafty enough headwind/crosswind. Another 10mins easy before 10mins of HIM effort (8mins only recorded) before spinning home easy.
    ElD was off doing his last effort when myself and Bambatta stopped for a quick can of coke. All i will say is i need stabilisers on the bike as i ended up on my ass in the garage forecourt with my pride and finger sore. My immediate response was to look around to see did anyone spot me falling followed by crap is my bike broke finally followed by ouch!! How Bambatta kept a straight face i do not know:o
    The last 20mins home was uncomfortable with the finger and sore ass. The PM was not working properly, when it did switch back on it was very erratic.
    Probably about 10/15mins info missing as i forgot to restart the garmin on a few stops. Felt good getting off the bike.
    1st hr effort @ AP216w/NP218w, 78rpm, 32.6kmph
    2nd hr effort @ AP222w/NP226w, 81rpm, 31.3kmph
    10min HIM effort @ AP223w/NP233w, 79rpm, 37.5kmph
    Time:3:38:09, Dist:115.38kms, Power:AP197/NP212, Cad:79, Avg speed:31.7kmph, TSS:177, KJ:2325

Run
    A slow enough transition as the three of us chatted whilst changing. No finding my legs and straight into my running. I clipped along at sub 3hr marathon pace and what felt like HIM effort. I will be targeting 4.15km pace or below for TriAthy Double Oly next week to see how i get on. I would be chuffed with a low 1:2x run off a very strong bike.
    Time:15:19, Dist:3.73km, Pace:4.06km

I was due to go for an OW swim after but the finger was throbbing and i suspected it could be broken so straight home to ice it.
    A good days work put down and good company. I can feel like i am building nicely for Roth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

37.5kmh for your HIM pace and planning to run 4:15 pace off it. Tunney may be right. My little advantage at T1 will be short lived! good session today... great to have those 2 lads for company

When you ride with other lads do you draft off each other, or is that a no-no in training?

Sunday
    2hr Long Easy Run
    Out for the long run nice and early and it was already warm at 8:30am. This was far from my best long run and in fact i found it a bit of a slog. Not sure if it was the warm weather but found the IM pace of 4:40km verging on low steady effort were it normally feels very easy. I am not so happy with my running this week.
    Time:2:02, Dist:26.14km, Pace:4.40km

30min OW Splash/Swim/Gargle salt water
    Straight down to the beach after the long run for a dip. I met Bambatta and his missus for a quick OW swim down in Clogherhead. Even though it was a lovely day there was some mad surfing waves along the beach. The water was cold enough getting in but after a few minutes it was lovely. Very hard to get any decent swimming going as i was constantly being turned by the waves and it was very choppy. I like the feel of the wetsuit and cannot wait to see how it impacts on the 3k swim time this weekend.
    Time:31mins, Dist: no idea about 1km

50min easy spin
    I decided to go out for a short spin after i got the kids to bed. Lovely end to the evening and again out in the summer gear. Fantastico
    Time:53:05, Dist:30.11kms, Power:AP216/NP219, Cad:78, Avg speed:34kmph, TSS:46, KJ:678

Weekly numbers
    21st May - 27th May|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|16|17:14|349.53kms
    Swimming|4|3:56|10.1kms
    Cycling|6|8:33|284.56kms
    Running|5|4:15|54.87kms
    Strenth/Core|1|0:30|N/A

A decent week put down. Really pleased with the cycling and swimming this week as always its hard to have all three going well and i felt my running was a bit off for the week. Hard to explain but you know when you are not running well. I missed one session this week which is not ideal but i made sure every session counted. Standout session for the week has got to be the bike test, i really pushed myself hard on that one.
    I really cannot believe that Roth is only 40 days away. I have to say i am getting really excited about racing there. Its mad how thoughts get consumed about the race as it draws closer. Double Oly in Athy now this weekend and we shall see how we go. Time to put this training into practice!!

37.5kmh for your HIM pace and planning to run 4:15 pace off it. Tunney may be right. My little advantage at T1 will be short lived! good session today... great to have those 2 lads for company
    All well and good targeting paces but they need to be delivered on the day, anything can happen on race day:). It will be good to have a target to try and chase down. Likewise i know you will be doing your very best at staying away;)
    I think i would need to post a very very fast bike/run split and even still the 10minutes i give up to you in the water it will not be enough.
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    When you ride with other lads do you draft off each other, or is that a no-no in training?
    In fairness we kept a couple of bike lengths apart. The one thing i did notice is that when i did drift onto a wheel 50% less power was required to sit in behind. This leads me to believe that training in a large group of cyclists is a waste of time imo as you will not get any training benefit out of sitting in a group and essentailly freewheeling.
    Also ElD was off doing some efforts at pace, i was off doing IM efforts and it was just a recovery ride for Bambatta. Even though we went out for a spin as a group of three we essentially drifted in and out and got our own sessions nailed down.

Monday
    50min run
    I forgot the garmin along with my running socks so out at lunchtime sockless and garminless:o Another "just ok" run, i think i need just one really good run to get my run mojo back as the last few have been lack lustre.
    I have a 1hr run at lunchtime today and my long run early tomorrow morning which will be a 5am out the door job so hopefully one or both of those will go well.
    Time:53mins approx, Dist:11.2km, Pace:4.43km approx

45min Club Swim
    Down for another session with Mr Tango putting us through our paces. Some more drill focus and this time we worked on the front of the stroke. I have a lot going wrong with my swimming and i am fighting the water a lot. Its good having someone on pooldeck giving feedback otherwise one could be blissfully unaware of any such problems:o Very frustrating at times as its not like i have not done the pool time/volume.
    Time:45mins, Dist:1500mtrs approx

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Just from a quick read you're flying it and Barcelona hasn't taken much out of you. No idea how you find the time with family (hope the youngster is ok after the injuries), work and all the training
    Good luck at the weekend...

When are the IM's you have planned?

Just from a quick read you're flying it and Barcelona hasn't taken much out of you. No idea how you find the time with family (hope the youngster is ok after the injuries), work and all the training
    Good luck at the weekend...

When are the IM's you have planned?

Cheers, cut it back to one IM this year which is Roth on the 8th July. I will be doing The Lost Sheep HIM in September as an end of season blow out before taking a few weeks off.

• Advertisement

Tuesday
    1hr Lunchtime Easy Run
    I had planned on doing this early before work but i did not get back until late on Monday night and had a few work e-mails to go through, that and the little one decided to wake early.
    This was a better run than previous and i can feel the run legs come back a little more after each run.
    Time:1:01, Dist:13.52kms, Pace:4.32km

PM - Very Easy Spin
    Popped out for a short one when the missus came back from the running club. Kept it very easy and sat up for the majority of it. I was not going to push the effort at all with a key long run the following morning. Concentrated on holding a higher cadence than usual.
    Time:49:57, Dist:25.3kms, Power:AP177/NP185, Cad:89, Avg speed:30.4kmph, TSS:30, KJ:513

Wednesday
    2hr 2.5hr Long Run
    So alarm goes off at 4:30am and i switch it off convincing myself "sure it will be ok i will get it done this evening". Five minutes later and guilt is setting in, at this stage i am lying in the bed thinking of Oryx (sounds wrong:)). I tell myself if she can bother her ass to get up that early for a long run then so can i.
    5am and i am out the door running, the first 4km i am waiting on the body to wake up and finally i get into some decent running. My watch dies around 7km but at this stage i am moving well. A warm light rain starts to come down so i whip off the top whilst running a few km on a back country lane. The birds are chirping, cows are mooing and the sheep are bahbahinnnng. So this is what its like to enjoy an early morning run.
    Que about an hour and a bit later and about 26km into the run and i am back hating life and running as i run up the gradual incline of Mell. Saved by a little downhill and back along Oldbridge for the last few kms and i push the pace to what feels like 4.15pace to finish strong. I wrap the run up at just over 32kms with a beaming smile on my face. A quick glance at the clock at 7.30am when i get in and a route check here shows a total run of 32.7kms in a time of 2.29. A good bit over the planned run time although i would have kept it lower if i had known with the garmin on.
    I enjoyed having breakfast with the kids who wondered what Dad was doing getting up so early. I have just enjoyed my second breakfast at my desk, famished:) No doubt i will be needing a power nap at lunchtime:o
    Run mojo returning a little!!
    Time:2:29, Dist:32.7kms, Pace:4.33km

That is over 80kms of running in the last 4 days and the legs can feel it. I am very tight on the left hamstring/glute/hip flexor and a slight strain on the groin. Going to get myself booked in for a loosen out tonight or tomorrow if i can. This race on Saturday should be good fun on tired legs:o IM training takes priority but i will still give the race the best the legs can offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

at this stage i am lying in the bed thinking of Oryx (sounds wrong:)). I tell myself if she can bother her ass to get up that early for a long run then so can i.

A warm light rain starts to come down so i whip off the top whilst running a few km on a back country lane. The birds are chirping, cows are mooing and the sheep are bahbahinnnng. So this is what its like to enjoy an early morning run.

Oh well, at least it was Oryx you were thinking of and not any of the lads:D

Its heaven when the early morning runs work out like that - hope you didn't startle anyone running topless :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

at this stage i am lying in the bed thinking of Oryx
    My work here is complete.

Wednesday PM
    40min OW Swim
    Some difference from Sundays swim as it was pan flat with only a few ripples breaking onto the shore. Straight in and fast for a min to get the hr up. I then picked a point to sight off along the shoreline and just swam and practicised sighting every couple of strokes. Goggles keep fogging up so i had to stop once or twice. I have used the anti fog solution prior but i may as well be pi$$ing on my googles, any tips welcomed?
    Love the new TYR suit, it feels like a second skin. Not sure on distance lets call it 2k.
    Time:40mins, Dist:2kms

Thursday
    Bit of a washout day as work was nuts, i was due to get a swim set in and a 75min spin with some 20sec bursts. I only managed to get 30mins of very easy spinning on the turbo after getting back from the physio.
    He diagnoised the problem as Anterior Pelvic Tilt on the left side as its above normal levels. He generally said most peoples range of anterior tilt in the pelvis can be 3 to 6 degrees in a male whilst mine appeared to be closer to 12degrees:o. This explained the tightness and pull i was getting around the groin area and in particular my back, glute, adductors and hammers as a lot of muscle groups hang off the pelvis
    It was sore working the area and there was also a large fibourous lump on the outside of my leg which hurt like fck when he worked on it. Just need to keep an eye on it but it should be ok.

Aim today is a short swim at lunchtime and a 30min bike with race pace efforts and into a 15min run with race pace efforts. It will gauge how the body feels. Need to get my gear organised tonight and then get up at an ungodly hour to head down to Athy. Looking forward to racing, hopefully i will avoid potholes this time.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

So alarm goes off at 4:30am and i switch it off convincing myself "sure it will be ok i will get it done this evening". Five minutes later and guilt is setting in,
    5am and i am out the door running. The first 4km i am waiting on the body to wake up and finally i get into some decent running. My watch dies around 7km but at this stage i am moving well. A warm light rain starts to come down so i whip off the top whilst running a few km on a back country lane. The birds are chirping, cows are mooing and the sheep are bahbahinnnng. So this is what its like to enjoy an early morning run.
    Simply it is hard to beat the experience of nature waking up at that hour. Any other time of the day is a distance 2nd.
    I'd had a few bikes at that hour that I will never forget. I also ran in Jan when life was asleep at 5am, a different experience but unforgetable also
    Well done on that

Goggles keep fogging up so i had to stop once or twice.
    I have a number of pairs put away because of this. Any possible solution I been told never works. I usually buy a new pair

All the best for Sat. Enjoy the swim in your new skin:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Goggles keep fogging up so i had to stop once or twice. I have used the anti fog solution prior but i may as well be pi$$ing on my googles, any tips welcomed?

Dash of washing up liquid at home, get them sqeaky clean, into the case, then saliva clean before they go on your head. No guarantees, but no harm in giving it a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Dash of washing up liquid at home, get them sqeaky clean, into the case, then saliva clean before they go on your head. No guarantees, but no harm in giving it a shot.

......or rub a small amount of toothpaste on the inside of the lenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Best of luck tomorrow Fran. Enjoy it and happy hunting! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Luckily its straight up and down a river a couple of times so sighting easy. I generally just spit into them before I put them on. Does the job. Getting up before the crack of dawn myself. See you there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Abhainn wrote: »

I have a number of pairs put away because of this. Any possible solution I been told never works. I usually buy a new pair

This works brilliantly - anti fog and you can also buy as spray. Lasts for about 3/4 swims
    Here

Advertisement