Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭El Director

Best of luck tomorrow dude, really looking forward to all the race reports to read on Monday over a cup of tea and also catching up on logs now that I've the time :cool: you will be on tired legs I know but I still reckon you will perform very well and the main thing is that you learn something that you can take into your A race.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Nest of luck dude. Enjoy the battles. Might pop down to see yee if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

You'll fly tomorrow!!!!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Friday
    Race tune up 30min with race spurts and 15min run off
    Just a 30min spin with a couple of short vrace efforts thrown in. I will probably target somewhere around 240+ watts and see how that feels tomorrow.
    Efforts
    Power/Pace
    261/34.9kmph
    255/37.7kmph
    255/37.9kmph
    271/33.1kmph
    261/45.9kmph
    297/40.9kmph
    284/40.5kmph
    I was 2mins into the 15min run and pulled up. This tightness is still there in back and groin, not good. Not going to stress and just play it by ear tomorrow. Going to go for a soak/stretch in the bath and off to leaba for an early start in the morning.

Thanks for the well wishes...sure we will give it a decent lash:) Sure there is a few targets to try and chase down:cool:

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Good luck! Woo its early :)

• Advertisement

DNF 30k into bike, could not push pedals...broken and need to get fixed quick. Big concerns now for Roth.

DNF 30k into bike, could not push pedals...broken and need to get fixed quick. Big concerns now for Roth.

You're broken or the pedals are?! :eek: Sorry to hear that Fran. How'd the swim go?

You're broken or the pedals are?! :eek: Sorry to hear that Fran. How'd the swim go?

I wish it was just the pedals broken. Not sure on swim time it felt dreadfully slow and sore. Pi$$ed off

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Crap sorry to hear that. Hope you get to the root of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Unlucky Fran, but better now than in July champ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Moments like these build character. This was just a stepping stone of a race, you've got time to resolve all issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Unluckky JB.
    You've worked hard all winter and spring and know that you can easily do the IM distance work. So just put it down to a bad day in the office, get back on the horse and look forward to Roth.

That was you I saw walking back, then. (shouted hard luck at ya) Sorry man, that sucks badly. Hope you get whatever the issue was identified and sorted.

Tri Athy Double Olympic
    Swim - 71mins
    Terrible swim and a huge confidence knock for Roth (not what i wanted). The start of the swim was nuts and I got my fair share of kicks and elbows to the face but i felt relaxed about it. About 20mins in and my back was flaring up and the swim was becoming very uncomfortable. I swam all over the place, stuck on feet that were too slow to follow instead of pushing ahead. It was a tough swim with the upstream sections and perhaps a bit long? but even i thought worse case scenario that i would be under 60minutes.....some way off that
    Lessons learnt for Roth
    1. Sight more and don't depend on people ahead of you going straight.
    2. Don't follow the ropes as it may not be the shortest route (something i copped when crossing over the bridge heading back to the car)
    3. Don't start to the back as the first 400mtrs was about climbing over bodies.
    4. Bi lat breath, it's what i am used to and swim quicker than breathing to one side.
    5. Don't follow feet that you know you are faster than.
    6. Swim smarter, be more tatical, surge if needs to be catch on the back of faster groups.
    7. Swim straight as 3.8km is long enough
    7. Learn how to swim properly.

Bike - DNF 30k in
    I knew based on during the week, last nights race pace efforts and the warm up that i was struggling with an injury and this could be a likely scenario. It's only when i came out of the water and onto my bike i realised how fvked i was. I could not even hold 180watts and put power down on the pedals(bike here). I was in agony and not moving well, my groin and back were doing a double act on me, i even sat up a bit but no relief. I knew about 20km in i was doing more bad than good and possibly making the injury worse so bailed out and cut my losses.

Got back to transition, fvked everything into my bags, just wanted to get out of there and not hang about. Got back to the car and i was devastated. Not so much about DNF the race but the timing of this injury, the 5 weeks lead in to Roth, the two most critical weeks of preparation coming up in jeopardy and the thought of all the work for a sub10 in Roth going down the pan. Not to mention i have no marker put down in a race setting, nothing to gauge my training or performace on.

The drive home was a long and painful one as my back was going into spasm. I straight away sent a text to one of the best guys in the business and told him i will take whatever slot he has available to get this sorted. I am not sure i totally agree with the tilted pelvis story i got midweek as even the back and groin area feeks like a strain or pulled muscle.

I was that miserable when i got home the missus sorted a babysitter and we went out for a bite to eat, drink a few craft beers and catch a flick. It took my mind off things but as i look out the window and see the lashing rain this morning there is nothing i would like more than to be out doing my planned long bike off the back of a great result yesterday. Sure my internal alarm clock went off at 6am this morning expecting to train:(

A bit whingy and depressing reading i am sure but hey i needed to offload. Will chat to coach later and see whats best to do. Trying to keep positive!!

Good to put a face to the name MCOS & BennyMul.
    Well done to all those who raced yesterday and due to race today, some great performances put down.

Oryx wrote: »
    That was you I saw walking back, then. (shouted hard luck at ya) Sorry man, that sucks badly. Hope you get whatever the issue was identified and sorted.

Sorry Oryx i was probably on a different planet at that stage. Great racing by you yesterday, well set for Austria.

Sorry Oryx i was probably on a different planet at that stage. Great racing by you yesterday, well set for Austria.
    Not quite but thank you. :) Didn't expect a reply but I felt for ya, didn't know what was up but you looked well pissed. Hope to Christ your physio can get you motoring again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

JB hope thinks get sorted quick for you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Abhainn wrote: »
    JB hope thinks get sorted quick for you
    +1 JB. good to meet you and hope you get sorted asap

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭El Director

difficult reading that JB as I, like everyone here, want to see you reach your goals because we all know how much you have come a long in a short period of time, not to mention your dedication and how you balance family life. So look at the long term, the big picture, this is just something else that will eventually shape you into the athlete you want to be, and your effort deserves. I hope the outlook is a little better today and you are getting this problem sorted...don't forget it ain't over till its over :)

Also on missing the key weeks, recently I was sick on my most important weekend and the coach didn't even blink, just told me to rest, eased me back into it and adjusted accordingly for the following weekend, no biggie and it worked out fine despite my serious concerns.

Ah dude, you almost brought a tear to my eye reading that. :D 5 weeks Fran, 5 weeks in training is a LONG time. Timing isn't ideal but it's far better than this happening with 2 weeks to go and less time to recover. Yeah you've missed out on a race but you've put down some serious work, a week off to recover from injury is not going to erase all that. Endurance will stand to you on the day.

Hope you get it sorted quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Tough going, mate.

However, your training seems to have been going very well, so this is just a temporary ailment?

All the best for the next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Sorry to hear of ur injury JB... Still plenty of time to get it right..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Fingers crossed JB. I hope you get sorted soon.

Thanks folks, managed to get an appointment with the guy tomorrow afternoon. Everyone who has been speaks highly of him so I am hoping it's an easy fix. Really let go and boozed it up the weekend and ate crap....not good. Even played a bit of poker which I have not done in an age (mind you near won the price of a decent new road bike:)).
    Itching to get back training but need to be patient to see what's up, no point in stressing over it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Sorry to hear of the trouble, the main thing is to get it sorted and the fitness you have wont disappear over night, loads of time to get the Sub 10 in Roth.

Ah some relief finally. In this afternoon for a physio session. Within a few minutes he had located the issue as my piriformis muscle which was stuck in a state of conctraction and has been for some time. My sciatic nerve could also not pass through because of it. Rightly fooked myself but he worked the area and by jesus did it hurt, even let out a few yelps all the while holding in the urge to fart:). Back in next week but can get back to easy training tomorrow.
    It pays to deal with people who know there stuff, tilted pelvis my a$$.
    Cannot tell you how relieved i am right now:) This also explains why my running had felt laboured and not fluent the last few weeks.

Who'd you go to? Corcoran?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

thats brilliant to hear! He's some man so it is. Fingers crossed it doesnt go back to that state!

Who'd you go to? Corcoran?
    Bambaata wrote: »
    thats brilliant to hear! He's some man so it is. Fingers crossed it doesnt go back to that state!

Yeah, good guy and knows his stuff. Hopefully it does not go back the same way hence the follow up next week ad right side was not great either. Not taking any chances with Roth nearly 4 weeks away!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Great news Fran. Fingers crossed mate!

Advertisement