Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

right side was not great either.

I would say the entire body is not great at this stage with your workload - good news though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Back logging sessions!!

Thursday
    30min very easy run
    First session back and eased my way into it. Pi$$ing rain but happy to be out in it. I paid no attention to pace on garmin and just focussed on keeping it easy. Could still feel a bit of tightness but certainly it has loosened out from yesterdays physio session. I felt my leg turnover and stride length was good. Certainly noticed a big difference and i realise now that i have had that tightness for the last 3 weeks hence not feeling it on the running front. Surprised at the avg pace for my first run back and what felt very easy as i felt i was going around 5:30 pace!!
    Time:27.40, Dist:6kms, Pace:4.37km

30min easy spin
    As expected felt this a bit more, given the injury its going to flare up more on the bike than the running. Just stayed out of the Aero position, I was going to push on for 45mins but decided softly softly catchy monkey!!
    Time:30mins, Dist:17.2kms, Power:AP186/NP188, Cad:89, KJ:331

Not the training i want to be doing this close to Roth but hey easy training better than no training at all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Hey Fran
    For some reason I read 'mechanical' from initial reports of your DNF from Athy and hadn't realised it was an injury. DC's a great guy and sorted out a peroneal issue I had a few years ago, always very efficient and informative at the same time.
    You've done so much with so much focus this year and the race is so close hopefully it'll all come together over the next while and on the day itself. I'm sure you appreciate that your coach is taking one for the team and trotting about the event itself purely to encourage / berate you in the best possible taste at every opportunity.

All the very best of luck.

Friday
    Swim session - 4km set
    A big old set with lots of balance drills to start off which I am finding a great help. Then some 400s and 200s, did not feel great in the water hardly surprising seen as I have missed a few sessions.
    Time:1:33, Dist:4km

Getting my gear ready for a 4:30am long bike, cannot wait. Hopefully injury holds out ok but staying close to home in case I need to abort at any stage, hopefully not.

@ interested - I am sure there will not be much trotting around:)

Saturday
    5hr 3hr Long Bike
    Alarm went off at 4:30am and i snoozed an extra, was out on the bike at 6am. Only managed 3hrs as the injury was making things very uncomfortable on the bike. Did not even get any IM effort work in as i could simply not hit the numbers as power down by about 20-30w. Felt like i had done 180km getting off the bike.
    Time:2:55:44, Dist:86.65kms, Power:AP184/NP186, Cad:77, KJ:1871

30min run off
    I had to stop and try get some relief to my back & backside twice but other than that it was an ok run.
    Time:30:26, Dist:7kms, Pace:4.21km

• Advertisement

Sunday
    OW Swim
    In to the sea for just over an hour of steady swimming. Need to learn how to swim straight:)
    Time:1:06, Dist:about 3km

Better to try and fail than not try at all. That's how the long run went today, pulled up shortly after 3k in. Plenty of thinking time on an enjoyable walk home with the main thoughts of focus on now just getting to Roth start line injury free.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Plenty of thinking time on an enjoyable walk home

Been there before, it sucks. Hopefully it picks up for you this week. Run fitness goes quickly but comes back quickly too. IMO bike fitness does not fade quickly, especially the longer steady stuff.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Been there before, it sucks. Hopefully it picks up for you this week. Run fitness goes quickly but comes back quickly too. IMO bike fitness does not fade quickly, especially the longer steady stuff.

It sure does although it was a head clearing exercise!!
    Agree with you on bike fitness taking a while to go, bigger difficulty at the moment is being able to cycle without pain or discomfort.

In other news stepped on the scales this morning for the first time in a few weeks. I felt as if i put a small bit on from the 66kg i weighed in at a few weeks back, 68.5kg......fuvkb@lls how did i allow that to happen. Need to keep a close eye on the diet especially with the lack of training volume recently.

No more slagging Tunney over his weight!!

Monday
    Another swim session with Mr Tango & co which i am finding a huge benefit. I felt better doing some of the drills from week 1 and i know what i am doing wrong just need to start implementing it and not resorting to fighting the water. Back went into spasm early on during the kicking drills but got through most of the session but shortly into the fast 100s at the end it was becoming a bit too much and jumped out.

Tuesday
    Nothing

Really in tatters today with lower back pain, the muscle has gone back into a contracted state and causing pain around the sacrum, literally a pain in the a$$.
    Missus has threatened to move me out into the shed because i am becoming such a moany git:). 25 days is all thats left to race day.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Am crossing my fingers for ya that this will get sorted very soon. What a rotten bit of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Monday
    Another swim session with Mr Tango & co which i am finding a huge benefit. I felt better doing some of the drills from week 1 and i know what i am doing wrong just need to start implementing it and not resorting to fighting the water. Back went into spasm early on during the kicking drills but got through most of the session but shortly into the fast 100s at the end it was becoming a bit too much and jumped out.

Tuesday
    Nothing

Really in tatters today with lower back pain, the muscle has gone back into a contracted state and causing pain around the sacrum, literally a pain in the a$$.
    Missus has threatened to move me out into the shed because i am becoming such a moany git:). 25 days is all thats left to race day.
    JB our respective logs seem to go through simultaneous peaks and troughs swings and roundabouts. Im gonna dig some karma out of somewhere and share when I find it... !!

Wednesday
    No training at all but in for another physio session to try get this injury sorted. Mucho pain but i know its helping.

Thursday
    Woke up and felt like i had been kicked around a field by a mule. I actually feared the muscle had already gone back into spasm but it turns out it was just the residual soreness from the physio session
    60min bike
    Out at lunchtime, started off gingerly and built the effort up to a mid easy level. I was overly concerned about the injury which took some enjoyment out of the spin but i was glad to be out doing something.
    I felt almost normal coming off the bike so getting the muscle groups working in that area helped loosen me out.
    I will say its an awful feeling not knowing if/when this could flare up again. First few days are critical as the body needs to learn that the muscle should stay relaxed and not tense up.
    Time:56:28, Dist:28.65kms, Power:AP193/NP195, Cad:88, KJ:640

So with nearly 3 weeks to Roth i have yet to get excited about the race. Normally by now i am buzzing about the place having put the "icing on the IM cake" i guess i will be going without icing for Roth and hope its enough on the day although i have no real idea what "enough" is right now.
    Missus who knows me better than i know myself knew doubt and negativity had crept in, even about getting to the start line. Sure the coach even spotted it a mile away.
    I have come to the conclusion i am a mentally weak athlete, not mentally weak as not being able to hurt in races or training as i have shown in the past i can suffer and will again. I love the aspect of putting yourself out there and pushing the limits of your ability on race day. I am talking about the non training side that i am mentally weak on. The side of dealing with injury, not being able to train properly, letting negativity creep in and having a poor attitude when the chips are down. Need to work on it as it can really eat away at you, i can even read it through my last few posts on the log and i know i let it get to me pre Barca (my other A race of the year) when i was sick.

So some positivity and a good attitude for a change. I will be fit and injury free come race day and i will give a performance i can be proud of in my A goal race. Now fvk off piriformis syndrome and inflict someone else, i am done with you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

"piriformis syndrome"
    Also know as short ar$e syndrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oryx is mod of the Paranormal forum, maybe she has some pull. ;)

tunney wrote: »
    "piriformis syndrome"
    Also know as short ar$e syndrome.

In a way the muscle does shorten and the muscle is located in my a$$ so technically you are right.:p

In a way the muscle does shorten and the muscle is located in my a$$ so technically you are right.:p

And that is why it is so funny.

"What was wrong with Fran again?"

"Short ar$e syndrome"

And that is why it is so funny.

"What was wrong with Fran again?"

"Short ar$e syndrome"

The fckin irony of it all.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Oryx is mod of the Paranormal forum, maybe she has some pull. ;)

Oryx can pull all she wants*

sorry Oryx really i am its just i am a bit giddy this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Good that you can have a laugh about it! Keep positive dude and have faith.

The fckin irony of it all.

Guess what the driving music for Roth will be????

Driving music - SFW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Guess what the driving music for Roth will be????

Driving music - SFW

LMFAO - Classic

Tunney wins the internet. Have not heard that song in years.

Not as good but i also have this on tape for you on the drive to Roth. Stick a pair of 80s speedos on him and they are an identical match folks.

Tunney wins the internet. Have not heard that song in years.

Not as good but i also have this on tape for you on the drive to Roth. Stick a pair of 80s speedos on him and they are an identical match folks.

Mrs JB is a funny gal.

Mr B is my role model

Mrs JB is a funny gal.

Mr B is my role model

I actually came up with that one all by myself!!

Thursday cont
    40min easy run
    I went up to the running club for this one as i am coaching about 25 runners across 3 groups for DCM and had to go through the plans with them. Once done i was into the pissing rain for a few easy laps of the field. As with the bike earlier in the day i started off very easy to see how my a$$ felt:rolleyes:, it felt good so increased the pace to around 4:20 for the last 2km. Another session down without issue, keeping those fingers crossed.
    Time:37:37, Dist:7.75km, Pace:4.51km

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Oryx can pull all she wants*

sorry Oryx really i am its just i am a bit giddy this afternoon.
    Whatever gets you through the night, honey. ;)

Friday
    1200mtr swim
    Just a short one to keep some sort of feel for the water. WU was 200sw/200p, 2x50 swim downhill drill, 2x50 r'n'r, 2x50 catch up and 2x50 archer and i just swam a 400sw steady as i was short on time.
    Time:25mins, Dist:1200mtrs

30min easy run
    Felt good on this one which was surpising give lack of running lately and had to keep reigning it back in so as not to go into steady. I did verge into steady towards the end of the run though. I was running along the ramparts beside the Boyne River in what will be similar conditions to the canal path run in Roth....i was doing a bit of visualising of what i will be like at 36km of the run, in bits i would say:)
    Time:30:57, Dist:7km, Pace:4.25km

Saturday
    4hr 4:40 Long Bike
    I was probably as nervous as ever heading into this session hoping that the injury did not flare up like on last weeks long bike. I was only out 10minutes and the heavens opened but i did not care. Plan called for an hour easy and 3x45mins @ IM effort. I was moving nicely for the first hour of easy at my IM wattage (AP212w), it felt easy so decided to just stick with it.
    I had decided to head up to Newry and around to Carlingford and back home. Most of the journey i was faced with hailstones, crazy winds and torrential rain as the avg speed shows but i loved it:) The first 45min effort finished strongly with an AP222w and a cadence of 85. Second effort was in to a b@st@rd of a wind for the last 20mins or so. I was only averaging 25kmph for AP221w and a cadence of 81 (near in granny gear:rolleyes:). The second one broke me a little and i only managed 30mins of the third one at AP210w and a cadence of 77 (again into wind) I spun home easy as i knew i was over running the planned 4hr spin with such a low avg pace and the weather giving me a kicking.
    There is about 13km missing from the end as i forgot to restart the garmin after a pee stop. Whilst the power dropped a little towards the end the legs felt good getting off and no niggles from the injury. I was due to do a 15min run off the bike but being nearly an hour home late Michelle had to go out and i was not going to rip the pi$$. She knew by my drenched but smiley head when i got in that i had a good one, she seemed more relieved than me:) Not going to lose the run of myself as its still early stages. If i can get through the log run tomorrow without issue i will be happy.
    A badly needed confidence booster i can tell you.
    Time:4:42, Dist:138.24kms, Power:AP209W/NP212W, Cad:81, Pace:29.3kmph, KJ:3121

imag0795.jpg

Your kids were so good to you on fathers day

A good photo of JB in a suit for fathers day

imag0797.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

A good photo of JB in a suit for fathers day

That can't be JB, the littel guy in the suit looks like he can swim..

*now to back away from this glass house*

• Advertisement

Double post

Advertisement