Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

mloc123 wrote: »
    *now to back away from this glass house*

Yes you better Mr Phelps...I have seen seaweed float faster than you can swim:)

Looks like Mr Tunney has had a busy Fathers Day!!

Sunday
    30min OW Swim
    Quick dip down in Clogherhead, in for 32mins and probably about 1.5kms. Ok swim.

2hr Long Run
    Long Run was broken down into 19:30 run and 30 sec walk breaks. This garmin file looks like a rogue file and has been causing issues with uploads since on the 305, any way i digress. This was a good strong run, take out the walk breaks and its close on sub 3:05 marathon pace for what felt like a relaxed effort:eek: a further sign that Barca was a bad day for me. I found form and efficiency was spot on.
    Time:2hr, Pace:4:28km

Weekly round up
    Missed half the week whilst sorting the injury out but still managed to get 2 swims, 2 bikes and 3 runs for a total of 10hrs. The weekend long bike and run got me back on the horse for Roth.

Monday
    1hr easy spin
    Not a great spin, i hate my position on the road bike having rode the tt for so long. Hopefully physio gives the ok to get back to riding in the aero position. Kept things easy.
    Time:56:42, Dist:27.01kms, Power:AP171/NP174, Cad:89

Club swim
    Final session with Mr Tango and i have found the 4 weeks very helpful. Session was mostly drill focussed and i did find one or two things starting to click. Finished with some swim golf at the end which is very useful in getting the balance between fast times and reducing the no of strokes. Good session.
    Time:50mins, Dist:??1.5km or so

Tuesday
    30min easy run
    I had planned a 1:30 bike before work but snoozed so settled on getting my other session in for the day. Rolled out of the bed into running gear, no brekkie and out the door.
    I was convinced throughout the run that the garmin was displaying incorrect pace information, why? because it was showing sub 3 marathon pace and it was feeling very easy....conversational pace. My form felt perfect and my run cadence was hovering along at 92-94, practically skipping along. I really should not be running as well as i am right now:confused:
    Time:34:10, Dist:7.98kms, Pace:4:16km

In with the physio for what should be my last session today and hopefully the all clear that the injury is done with.
    Buzz for Roth is steadily rising, i really want to smash myself over there. Really want to deliver a good result for both myself and my coach who has invested a lot of time and effort throughout the preparation for this. Time to step up!!

Tuesday cont
    1hr bike
    This session was changed around shortly into it. I was due to do some IM work +10w to +40w but i was very tender from the earlier physio session so spun it out easy home. Back on to the TT and i was not holding the aero position for too long.
    Time:1:02, Dist:30.74km, Power:AP191/NP201, Cad:77

Wednesday
    Swim
    3k set with some balance drills to start off with, finding these very useful. Main set consisted of 10x200 alt p and sw. I was really concentrating on the areas i have been working on in the Monday club sessions. Times were coming in reasonable with the sw around low 1:50s and the pull efforts mid to high 1:40s. Happy with this one.
    Time:1:10, Dist:3000mtrs

50min run
    Run was set out as 20mins easy, 20mins @ IM effort and 10mins easy. Still tender from yesterdays work but got into my running on the 20min IM effort which felt very relaxed. I think there is a strong possibility i will be targeting 4.30km pace off the bike which would lead to a marathon time close to 3.17....all going to plan that is:rolleyes:
    Time:51:06, Dist:11.12kms, Pace:4:36km

The good news is i got the thumbs up from the physio on the injury so ready to rock and roll. A few more days work to get through and then taper from next week. 16 days and counting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

3:17 off the bike would be a very impressive run and would surely bank a comfortable sub10 :cool:

Good to see you are keeping positive

3:17 off the bike would be a very impressive run and would surely bank a comfortable sub10 :cool:

Good to see you are keeping positive

Comfortable my a$$ i will be busting a gut to get under 10:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Mr Tango has distributed key photos of us swimming. Yours is here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

tunney wrote: »

Just a chip off the old block of his mentor then eh..

cement+block.jpg
    A piece titled: "Tunney Swimming" by Mr Tango

Some bricks can travel fast if enough force is used.

Heard a vicious rumour that you have had to put a cushion on the drivers sit of your car to help you see out over the steering wheel. Any truth to this????

Heard a vicious rumour that you have had to put a cushion on the drivers sit of your car to help you see out over the steering wheel. Any truth to this????

Tell the truth did a physio tell you to put a cushion on your seat to raise the height that you sit at?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

tunney, jb and friends try out their custom fit wetsuits.

82521275_8aa90b0db7.jpg

Oryx wrote: »
    tunney, jb and friends try out their custom fit wetsuits.

82521275_8aa90b0db7.jpg

The one third in looks like Tunney.

I have just been invited to a midnight swim tonight in Clogherhead with hot drinks and BBQ. I must be mad to be even contemplating going. Swimming at night sounds sort of cool but never done it before.

No truth in that rumour whatsoever.

No truth in that rumour whatsoever.

Really. You sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭El Director

Great to hear the good news on the thumbs up, must be a weight off your shoulders.

A night swim, I have always been intrigued by this :P did a couple of night scuba dives Sch were the bomb.

I also did night dives, tho never just a swim. Phosphoresence is amazing, like sparks in the water.

Well thats me sorted for next year.....expensive those IM thingys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

I have just been invited to a midnight swim tonight in Clogherhead

Surely that's well past your bedtime ? I suspect they won't let you bring your teddy either. ;)

You back before July 21st for the round the head swim this year?

interested wrote: »
    Surely that's well past your bedtime ? I suspect they won't let you bring your teddy either. ;)

You back before July 21st for the round the head swim this year?

I did not go in the end, work and kids had me tired. No i will be away on hols for that. No doubt you will come down to win by about 5mins again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

I did not go in the end, work and kids had me tired. No i will be away on hols for that. No doubt you will come down to win by about 5mins again?

Id hope to swing by for the splash. Best of luck to you and Coach across the way.

• Advertisement

Thursday
    1hr bike
    An easy bike with a few surges over 400w thrown in. The muscle which was in spasm for a few weeks was twitching a little on the surges, need to be very careful with it.
    Time:1:02, Dist:34.38kms, Power:AP211/NP213, Cad:81, KJ:840

Stretch & Roll
    Its a while since i paid any attention to this.
    Time:30mins

Friday
    45min run
    Run set out as 15mins easy, 15mins @ IM pace -15secs and 15min easy. Done at lunchtime and i felt pretty decent. The IMpace -15sec was a little quicker than planned but felt fine holding that pace.
    15mins easy @ 4:32km, -15sec IMpacec @ 4:08km and 13:10 @ 4.35km pace.
    Time:43:10, Dist:9.81kms, Pace:4:23km

4000mtr swim set
    I missed the early morning option with kids and work going a little nuts so i slept in and got this in after work. Main set consisted of 2600mtrs with 400s, 200s and 100s. I had fast 50s at the end and i faded badly towards the end of the session, arms were hanging of me and felt like i was swimming in concrete.
    Time:1:30, Dist:4000mtrs

In other news signed up for IM Frankfurt next year, aim is qualify there and race Kona in October. Simple plan really:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

What kind of result would it take in Frankfurt to get the qualifying slot?

What kind of result would it take in Frankfurt to get the qualifying slot?

9.15 should be good enough for an automatic slot, rather that than depending on a roll down slot as it almost feels like not getting in on merit. Not thinking of qualifying times yet until i deliver a good result in Roth and then there is another years solid work to be put in.

Saturday
    1hr Bike
    Originally a 3hr bike and 20min run off cut down to just a 1hr bike. Nothing major to worry about just felt like sh!t this morning when i woke up. Normally i would have plodded along but this close to my A race and power 20% off common sense prevailed. A PM is more than a useful training tool, back up information when by feel you know something is off!! Good to get any sickness out of the way now than in two weeks time.
    Time:1:04, Dist:31kms, Power:AP171/NP182, Cad:80, KJ:655

2 hot whiskeys in me tonight and feel like i have been on the sauce all day!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

It's the taper madness setting in already. Hope you feel better in the morning. Is Roth the same day as Frankfurt?

It's the taper madness setting in already. Hope you feel better in the morning. Is Roth the same day as Frankfurt?

No taper madness, it's man flu and can be fatal. Yeah Roth and Frankfurt is on the same day alright.

Sunday
    40min run
    The plan called for 1.5hr of running but with the head cold and after Saturdays lethargic bike i opted for a shorter run. Even though i was breathing through my a$$ and my hr felt elevated the legs wanted to run faster. Clicked along at 4:30km pace handy enough. Once again i finished along the Boyne and was thinking of the closing stages of the run in Roth and pushing myself right to the edge.
    Time:42.36, Dist:9.46km, Pace:4.30km

Weekly round up
    An ok week to finish off prior to taper at just over 11 hours with 3 swims, 4 bike and 4 run. Really pleased with the running last week, swimming was ok and bike was a mixed bag. Unfortunate i had to cut the last long bike and run short but an extra hour or two at this stage will not make any difference.

Monday
    2000mtr swim set
    Feels strange only clocking one session in a day but i may get used to it. I ended up hitting the pool late last night got my wu and balance drills in before the tri club jumped in and took over all the lanes. I had no option but to jump into one of the lanes (2nd fastest one). My own set called for 12x100s alt sw/p and all at steady effort. I was swimming well and coming in low 1:40s, most of that has got be down to chasing and following feet though.
    A few things i was happy with,
    I was pushing down at the front - helping with body position in the water with the legs raised at the back
    Keeping the stroke long and finishing it out
    Keeping the elbow high under the water and pushing back water with a forearm paddle rather than pushing down water
    Not fighting with the water
    Time:45mins, Dist:2000mtrs

12 days to Roth, i want to put on the tri suit now and race....eager to get going.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I hope you're not racing in that technicolour yoke?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Technicolour yoke?

Only a select few people are able to wear that coveted kit.

To quote the great Chinese Philosopher Gok Wan "It's all about the confidence!"

Just in case I don't get to say it, lots of luck in your race. May it all feel like its downhill. Even the swim!

• Advertisement

I hope you're not racing in that technicolour yoke?

Nothing wrong with our race colours:). I had contemplated racing in the Irish tri suit but they are not suited for long distance tri so wearing the club gear.

Advertisement