Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

I hope you're not racing in that technicolour yoke?

+1 the kit is like an advertisement for the digital switchover :D

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

12 days to Roth, i want to put on the tri suit now and race....eager to get going.

Your going to love Roth, just soak up the support on race day.......and just wait till you get to the Solarberg, you round the bend and are faced with this wall of noise, guaranteed the hairs will stand on the back of your neck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

It's like they are testing my resolve in work so close to Roth.

Tuesday
    1hr bike with threshold efforts
    Went through the normal warm up process and into the first of 2x10min efforts at threshold. First one hurt a lot and towards the end i felt that bloody ass muscle starting to twitch. Finished off the first set and done a warm down, thought better of pushing things for the second.
    Legs felt like they would not have been able any way as i barely scraped by at the 298w for the first one!!
    Time:32:45, Dist:20.35kms, Power:AP234W/NP247 , Cad:78, KJ:460

Wednesday
    Swim test
    A good swim test in the pool to gauge possible IM swim split. I expect to be about 1:20 coming out of the water. Not where i wanted things to be but swim approach will be changed for next year. That IM swim trial in Turkey was clearly wrong at 1:12 as the distance must have been out or something.
    I do notice myself switching off in the swim, same in Athy, need to bring the same level of concentration that i have for bike and run to the swim in Roth...keep the stroke long and strong!!
    Time:1.35, Dist:4200mtrs

Down to Dublin later to pick up a loan of a bike box and then an easy 40min run to see out the day.

Wednesday
    40min easy run
    Did not get out until it was late and dark as the rain started to fall. Just another run, more kms logged sounds repetitive at this stage:o. I was garminless as i had left it in work but i kept the effort easy.
    Time:43:29, Dist:9.4kms, approx 4.37km pace

Thursday
    45min run with build work
    Wow wow wee what a run and not in a good way. Hayfever is driving me nuts at the moment even after the downpour last night. I actually had to stop 2 or 3 times on this run as i tried to scratch my eyeballs out and tear my throat to pieces. When i got back into work i am covered in a bloody hive/allergy/heat sort of rash.
    Hit me up with some old wive tails or suggestions on helping with hayfever as over the counter stuff does nothing to help. I think people in work are looking at me and saying "jesus he is hitting the drink hard...eyes are hanging out of him"
    A run to forget quickly!!
    Time:40:30, Dist:9.06kms, Pace:4.28km

I am now officially fed up training at this stage (never though i would hear myself say that). I wish Roth would hurry up so i can race the bloody thing!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Apparently this is the height of the hayfever period and from now on it should be getting better, I know that’s not much good to you right now, but think long term

Friday
    Swim
    2800 mtr of work. Felt ok in the water and decent enough swim although breathing was a bit of an issue as sinuses blocked up.
    Time:1:05, Dist:2800mtrs

Saturday
    2hr bike and 15min run off
    First off it was a very good session in terms of feeling and effort. Bike was strong and i was constantly having to hold myself back. I had 2x30mins at IM effort which came out at 217w, cadence 83 and 34.4kmph. Second one come out at 223w, cadence 83 and 31.1kmph (headwind and not aero)
    Time:2:16, Dist:70.31kms, Power:AP209W/NP214W, Cad 82, KJ:1672
    Run was a short one but a good one. No finding my feet and i had very quick leg turnover. I will need to keep a hold of the reigns early on in Roth and go slower than slow to start off.
    Time:15:11, Dist:3.74kms, Pace:4:04km
    So taper seems to be coming good i felt the benefit of months and months of training today which was good. Downside of today though was on the end of my 1st IM effort the aero bar fell off the bike and i noticed carbon cracks on the bar underneath (rotten luck on my long bikes this season). I was lucky my hand did not end up in the spokes as i fell over the bike:o I reckon this was caused as a result of a fall the bike took a few weeks back on the spin with ElD and Bambatta. Long story short and 420 quid later, new setup and bike is now back up and running. Blessed this happened now and not next week in the race as i would have been screwed.
    To add to the costly day i headed straight up the North to the in laws, 5 minutes later i am bringing our dog to the vet who needed operated on as she was savaged by the in laws dog and got ripped to pieces...had to step in and near got ripped to pieces myself seperating them. Poor border terrier did not stand a chance:mad: Another 250, and thats STG:o

So good day training but everything else was pants but at least the bike is fixed and the dog is back from the vets and stitched up.

Sunday
    1hr run
    I was up North for this and after yesterday i was tired heading out. Went along the Bann and the first 15mins went by easy at 4:33km pace even though not feeling too spiffy. Then into 30mins at IM effort which came out at 4:20km pace (will not be going at this pace in Roth) and 15mins easy home in 4:30 pace.
    In some way i was glad to get this out of the way.
    The Bann looked tempting so i decided to run back to the car and head back down with the wetsuit for an easy/recovery swim which felt good although i had to watch out for a few from the rowing club out training.
    Time:1:00:25, Dist:13.61kms, Pace:4:26km

Weekly round up
    A total of 9.5hrs work put down consisting of 4 swims, 2 bikes and 4 runs. I was feeling the taper benefits towards the end of the week and the hayfever is starting to lift so all good.

Look forward to Roth
    Work is done now and this time next week i hope to be celebrating a sub 10 with a nice German beer. I respect the distance but i am not fearful of it. You have got to have some self belief in this game as its "all up top". Looking at training volume last year and this year (comparitive purposes only) shows,
    Swim - last season 233.75mtrs / this season 266,920mtrs
    Bike - last season 6903.82kms / this season 5479.87kms
    Run - last season 1662.51kms / this season 1772.39kms
    No comparison this year with quality of work versus mindless training last year. Being coached has made a huge difference to me personally and i have made notable gains on both bike and run. Come this day next week its time to equate those gains and training into a time that i will be happy with.

Monday
    Swim
    2500mtr of work to keep the swimming ticking over. Some balance drills starting off and main set of 300's and 100s.
    Time:60mins, Dist:2500mtrs

60min bike
    Bike called for 2x20min segments at IM pace. I simply could not keep the power down, even in the easy sections i was holding intended IM power. First 20min effort came in at a very relaxed AP223w/NP226w/85rpm/33.3kmph with the second one again coming in handy at AP225w/NP228w/84rpm/36.1kmph.
    Felt like i had a turbo booster on the bike and i love the new position and feel of the aerobars, also very nice to have the garmin on a custom mount and off the stem. Not a bad avg pace considering the wind and heavy rain, Roth roads should be a joy to cycle on.
    Time:57:45, Dist:31.84, Power:AP220w/NP222w, Cad:83, Pace:34kmph, Work:735kj

Tuesday
    45min easy run
    Very slow starting off circa 4:40 pace for the first few km as i was taking it handy but quickened up without realising it towards the end. Another good run. I did not have km splits turned on so can only imagine i was running around 4:10km pace.
    Time:49:24, Dist:11.13kms, Pace:4:26km

475 sessions down and 5 more sessions until race day, exciting:).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Hey JB, they very best of luck in Roth.

Whatever the outcome, make sure you enjoy it - a fantastic race.

Your journey to Kona* makes epic reading...

* I, for one, won't think any less of you for accepting a roll-down :)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Best of luck with it. Will be thinking of ya. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Best of luck at the weekend, not that you need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Good luck at the weekend. Do those club colours proud! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Best of luck this weekend JB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nice numbers for IM pace JB. The very best of luck this weekend. Safe trip and make sure the mechanic does a good job on your bike! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭El Director

It's finally here JB (well almost) give it everything, be smart with your pacing and nutrition and that will hopefully see you home sub 10 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Best of luck JB, I hope you get the sub10. The swim canal is perfect for you, narrow, easy to draft etc.. Hopefully its cooler than last year too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

Give it socks Fran, sub 10 all the way. Remember if you feel a pain in your ass at any time it's not your piriformis, it's Tunney coming up your rear :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck dude. Hope you get what your hard work and training deserves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Good luck Fran

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Best of luck JB!

I have to say the number of good wishes on here, fb, e-mail and texts has been overwhelming, simply a huge level of support. I will make sure i remember all those watching back home when it starts hurting and make sure i do not let anyone down most importantly myself.
    I have to say i am very relaxed unlike last year leading up to UKIM.... focussed, motivated but relaxed.

Wednesday
    40min bike and 20min run off
    Bike
    Another good one and i felt strong although kept the reigns on tight. Bike had 20mins at IM intensity sandwiched between easy riding, came out at AP215/NP218, 84rpm, 35.3kmph.
    Time:39:01, Dist:22.28kms, Power:AP209w/NP211w, Cad:84rpm, Work:485kj, Pace:34.3kmph
    Run
    Bike dropped back into work, helmet off, runners and out in under a minute. I tore off straight into my running, 3:50km pace.....woh there lets pull this right back and save it for race day:rolleyes: A good run but it is very clammy out there today, 72% humidity!!
    Time:19:32, Dist:4.38kms, Pace:4:27

I was due to get a short swim set in this morning but had a woeful nights sleep so thought better to get some more sleep/rest. Very doubtful i will get it done tonight as i need to clean and break down the bike and finish the packing as heading down to Dublin tomorrow to the parents for an early Friday morning departure. Need to aslo get my IM haricut done later on:)

Rest day tomorrow and just 3 tune up sessions in Germany and thats me ready to race my biggest race to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Need to aslo get my IM haricut done later on:)

Always vital before my A race as well, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Best of luck JB.....and remember when you're feeling nauseated and hating life, that's when you dig a little deeper and HTFU!!!! Give 'em hell out there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Best of luck JB.... Huge effort put into ur training so just go out there and give it socks....

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Great to hear you sounding so good. My turn to track this weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

Best of luck JB. Sub 10 all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Best of luck JB. Hope everything goes to plan on the day. Savage training done so hope you reap the rewards of it

• Advertisement

Flight cancelled, what a sh1t start to the day. On standby for a later flight.

Advertisement