Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

interested wrote: »
    Also, the sooner you and Tunney move past this man-love thing on here and get back to how things were, the better ;)

Bit worrying alright. ;) They even submitted their race reports within seconds of each other :D

On a serious note, how did the remainder of the results go yesterday Fran?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

hard luck fran, very good report and a really ballsy go at it when ill.

Rest up - look forward to following your next crack at it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

pgibbo wrote: »
    Bit worrying alright. ;) They even submitted their race reports within seconds of each other :D

On a serious note, how did the remainder of the results go yesterday Fran?

Was chatting him this morning. Doctors keeping him in for a little longer. Want to see can they run some more tests to get to the bottom of his dwarfism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

and .... we're back.

its bound to be something small

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

and .... we're back.

its bound to be something small

Well it would have to be really wouldn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

tunney wrote: »
    Was chatting him this morning. Doctors keeping him in for a little longer. Want to see can they run some more tests to get to the bottom of his dwarfism.

Yes dwarfism is still a problem.

All clear on the heart front, not dying thankfully. Completly fudged myself up though. I had to snigger as i was going through symptons with the Consultant and what happened on Sunday and the nurse kept laughing in disbelief. Why did you not stop asked the Doctor....i dunno because i never give up!!

Last few days from Sunday have been worrying and character building. The poor wifey over in Turkey is having kittens with all the worry.
    Fly out tomorrow, please no cancellations, rental car cancellations or delays in any way as i had enough of that last week!!

Also, the sooner you and Tunney move past this man-love thing on here and get back to how things were, the better ;)

You did hear he raided the haribo stand at the Expo, poor guys did not know what hit them. This is what caused his ripped shorts when he was registering for the race as his pockets were weighed down with bags of jellies and the overweight issues also caused the rip.

He is some man for filling a water bottle thats all i will say!!

The split shorts story would have been better with an accompanying picture to be honest. He did say that your driving had him sh*tting himself so there's no wonder he filled a water bottle as well.

Glad to hear you're clear of any physical ailments and are just nuts. Enjoy the break champ.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭El Director

Hey JB, that report is seriously the report we all never want/think we'll ever have to pencil. It was an honest account, very honest. Let's hope this is your lowest low and you've got your nightmare scenario out of the way now. I really hope you are resting up well and when you get back you will be able to make the first steps back. There are plenty of races left in the year and you will I am sure make some 'withdrawals' and they will be fun and enjoyable I promise you :)

I don't know about others reading this put I have learned something from it, and I think the doctors were eliding to it, if ever my watt numbers are down that much, hr high and getting sick like you were.....I will stop. That fight and will of yours brought you down a dark tunnel way too far IMO. But then again....

"only those who risk going to far can possibly find out how far one can go" T.s. Elliot.

See you soon dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭The_Boy_Wonder

Tough luck on the troubles you've had. Almost had head in hands as I was reading it.
    These endurance sports can be so frustrating when you put in months upon months of prep for something so frustrating/unexplained stops you from performing.
    Hope you get back to full health and fitness shortly so that you can get that sub 10 in the bag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Just got round to reading your report there jackyback. Crazy stuff. I have a lump in my throat. You are some tough soldier. Enjoy the holiday. You will come back stronger and ready to get some rewards for the great training you have put in.

So holidays going well and i started back easy training. I am swimming every day in the pool doing some drill work and sometimes a second session down at the beach whilst the kids splash about. Probably about 2/2.5km a day.
    I only started back running yesterday, a 25min easy run in scorching heat. I went out for two 30min runs today, one in the morning and one in the evening. Over here is experiencing an African heatwave and temperatures have been off the wall, hit 48 degrees today and it was close to 40 both in the morning and evening. 30 minutes is about the max i want to run in that sort of heat otherwise i would need to be peeled off the tarmac.

Just doing enough to tick over for now to keep the good wining and dining tubby tummy at bay. I have moved on from Roth, no point dwelling in the past and i have a few things lined up to see out the season but that can wait until after the holidays.

Last week (inclusive of previous Sunday) i somehow mustered up 9.5hrs of swimming and running in between keeping the kids busy, drinking, eating and more drinking. Afraid to see what the scales read when i go home.
    One of the hungover runs confirmed i was back to usual self. I was close to stopping on a very steep hill to puke until the little guy on my shoulder said HTFU. I sprinted up the rest of the hill:)
    Swim:14.4k, 5:20
    Run:52.8kms, 4:12

I picked up a nice cool €1.1k from Wiggo in the TDF. He was huge value back in February at 11/1 and given Skys setup and everything geared towards the TDF for him i thought it was worth sticking a €100 on it:)chi ching!! Still have a bit of gamble in me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I picked up a nice cool €1.1k from Wiggo in the TDF. He was huge value back in February at 11/1 and given Skys setup and everything geared towards the TDF for him i thought it was worth sticking a €100 on it:)chi ching!! Still have a bit of gamble in me.

Good stuff, we must get our thinking caps on and come up with a few ideas for bets for DCM pacing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Awesome win there on Wiggins so!

I know just how you can spend €85 of that.... along with put some of the muchos hard training this year to good use...

Need any more clues?

70.3 is probably most relevant to you so there's a certain National Championships race approaching in near 4 weeks...

Let's do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Me thinks JB is in for Lost Sheep??

Groomsport. I'm available for towing during the swim since it very likely Ill be DNF'ing again ;)

Fazz wrote: »
    Awesome win there on Wiggins so!

I know just how you can spend €85 of that.... along with put some of the muchos hard training this year to good use...

Need any more clues?

70.3 is probably most relevant to you so there's a certain National Championships race approaching in near 4 weeks...

Let's do it.

Would love to as i hear its a fast race but as Bambatta mentioned i am already in for Lost Sheep. I am also in for CK although not expecting much as its only a week after holidays. I will do one more after that to end the season.
    Bambaata wrote: »
    Me thinks JB is in for Lost Sheep??

Yep looking forward to it, i should probably bring 7 spare tubs just in case.:)
    Groomsport. I'm available for towing during the swim since it very likely Ill be DNF'ing again ;)

I will call on those towing services soon enough, what happened the swim prime in Humbert....tut tut:)

I will call on those towing services soon enough, what happened the swim prime in Humbert....tut tut:)

A popular excuse Ive seen recently was 'my hat fell off 3 times' etc etc but no, the lad was flying and the conditions were too calm for my liking ;)
    Just bring your own bungy cord - it's not like Im gonna notice your weight anyway :D

I could get used to living over here but i fear i would turn into a fat sh1te. Just a swim and a run so far this week, not great but i feel glimmers of hope on the swimming front. I have been wanting to train but just have not got the opportunity to train as much as last week. Really miss a bit of cycling though. Awesome day yesterday for our eldest girls birthday...i ate half the hello kitty birthday cake we organised as it was lovely:) I have no idea what pace i am running at but it feels laboured in this heat. Villa is located on a steep hill with 15% to 20% gradients, you either finish uphill or downhill and its a biatch in that sort of heat.
    The inlaws just arrived over, i have not spoken to them since D-Day (Roth) i had them properly worried which is ****. As all MIL's do i got told off like a schoolboy.
    Another week of holidays left and then its time to get back into proper training, looking forward to getting back into a routine of some sort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭El Director

Hi Fran. I must say its great to hear that you haven't got disheartened after Roth. Seems you have put it behind you now and are looking forward to the future. I am looking forward to seeing how you go in CK and LS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Hey JB, don't be going too soft over there :). You've also got a small matter of pacing duty at DCM to factor in and Oryx and I will be banking on you to get us home in PBs. We also have a bit of a side race so there'll be a bit of craic too. There's a Mai Tai cocktail in it for you if I'm in before the two of ye ;) (are thumbtacks allowed?)

Thursday
    53min straight ow swim
    Done a straight sea swim. I was swimming good but i can easily see how a NW IM swim could expend energy levels as i was tired at the end of it. There was a decent enough swell so that had me working as well.
    Time:53mins & about 2.5km covered

Easy Run
    Just a short one did not feel great on this one as felt fat and unfit.
    Time:29:06, Dist:approx 6.2km, Pace:4.41, Temp:38deg/100f/h

Friday
    2hr Long Run
    I had not intended to go out for this long on the run and originally intended on about an hour 15mins. Same run as back in April over here but in warmer conditions this time around and slightly faster. Neg split the way home which was more hilly.
    Endurance not entirely lost although was starting to really struggle this evening in the last 3km or so. 36degrees heading out and 33degrees when i got back so not as bad as previous days and the sun was setting coming home. Deserving of a few glasses of vino tonight i reckon. Had water and water money with me this time around:)
    Time:2:01, Dist:26.18kms, Pace:4:37km

Hi Fran. I must say its great to hear that you haven't got disheartened after Roth. Seems you have put it behind you now and are looking forward to the future. I am looking forward to seeing how you go in CK and LS.
    I will be honest i was very disheartened after Roth but time is a great healer. Not expecting much from CK apart from finishing a bloody race, starting to think the Activ colours are jinxed:) Should be back in decent enough shape for LS all going well.
    RedB wrote: »
    Hey JB, don't be going too soft over there :). You've also got a small matter of pacing duty at DCM to factor in and Oryx and I will be banking on you to get us home in PBs. We also have a bit of a side race so there'll be a bit of craic too. There's a Mai Tai cocktail in it for you if I'm in before the two of ye ;) (are thumbtacks allowed?)
    Done a 2hr run in the heat today just for you guys;) Make sure you say hi, i will be the guy with a big stupid balloon hanging over my head:)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

Which balloon are you running with - i might be running beside you!

Mr Tango wrote: »
    Which balloon are you running with - i might be running beside you!

3:30 group although i would have expected you to be up the road from that sort of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

okay - if i am with you there is a problem!!! Not sure what time i am aiming for but prob c3.15.

Saturday
    Pool & Sea swim
    Took a rest from running as legs were sore from the long run on Friday. 1300mtr of mostly drill work in the pool and later in the day a nice 2k (approx) straight sea swim.
    Time:1:15, Dist:3300mtrs

Sunday
    Two short runs today on the same loop. Morning run felt dreadful and it was warm when i went out. Same run in the evening had me feeling a lot better and pace felt much easier, not as warm.
    Time:1:16, Dist:16kms

Weekly RU
    4 swims and 5 runs all pretty easy though. Just over 7hours of effort even with 2 lazy days included in the week. 3 days of holidays left and my gut will be happy to get back to normality.
    Swim:7km/2:43, Run:57kms/4:28

Monday
    Whilst I have good water and weather I swam for an hour straight. My endurance or should I say my technique is still not there but improving. I find I am fighting the water when I get tired instead of relaxing. I cannot wait to get back to the pool and start timing my sets as I think I have made minor improvements on my stroke.
    Time:60mins, Dist:3kms approx

Tuesday
    I tried to shock the system early this morning and for CK coming up next week. I started of 10mins easy then 5x5mins at 10k pace @ PE as I have no watch. I managed 3 and said enough is enough. It felt like I was holding sub 4 pace but indulgence on holidays and the heat was too much. This will be my last run over here as heading home tomorrow.
    Time:48mins, Dist:about 11k????

Training starts back properly on Thursday as I have unfinished business.

• Advertisement

Jumped on the scales this morning after flying home last night and hardly surprising i seen 70.9kg/156lbs come up:eek:. Far too heavy for me and i cannot believe i put on 4kg since Roth especially considering i was tipping along with swimming and running whilst away. I will likely lose 2kg of that fairly quickly but i will need to get my diet back on track, clean living from today.

Could not sleep last night so finally got round to unpacking the bike from Roth. Will get out for a run at lunchtime (i am sure it will not be pretty) and head out for a spin on the bike tonight. I will probably need stabilisers as its been a good few weeks.

Advertisement