Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Wednesday
    nada, travelling home from hols

Thursday
    30min easy lunchtime run
    This actually felt ok although i do feel heavy on my feet. Some difference not running in 40degree heat i can tell you!!
    Time:30:16, Dist:6.83kms, Pace:4.25km

1.5hr easy cycle
    Just an easy spin to get the muscles accustomed to cycling again. Span out for half an hour down to run club as i had to discuss a few things with the marathon groups and headed off for another hour.
    Happy to be back on the bike although i know/feel like i lost a little power. My thoughts drifted back to Roth on the bike and me struggling to push out 138w on the bike:o
    Time:1:24, Dist:46.35kms, Power:AP198w/NP202w, Cad:84, Pace:33.1kmph

Home free so think i will head for the Wicklow hills tomorrow for a long spin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Take it you're not doing Challenge Barca now?

Take it you're not doing Challenge Barca now?

Doing Lost Sheep and heading away with the missus after that.

Friday
    2400mtr swim
    Felt good in the water, plenty of sculling, some r'n'r, some kick and the main set was 4x200 steady, coming in on 3:46,3;45 switched off a little on the 3rd one on 3:51 switched back on and last one in 3:44. Now i am measuring again its time to try and track some hopeful improvements.
    Time:55mins, Dist:2400mtrs

45min Easy Run
    A crap run just felt as if my legs and upper half of the body were fighting against each other. Did not feel fluid on this one and felt heavy footed. There was 5x30sec builds thrown in midway all around 3:30/40km pace.
    Time:43:34, Dist:9.5km, Pace:4:34km

Saturday
    Very Long Bike
    I was due to do 3hrs but it turned out a little longer, sorry Boss:eek:. Headed down to Wicklow and met up with Abhainn in Kilmac and off we headed. I should have changed the gearing as the 39/25 was not enough and i struggled up some of the steep climbs as Joe spun up in his triple (i swear i cursed him under my breath:)) Poor climbing down to poor gearing and the simple fact i have lost bike fitness over the 4 weeks.
    I had intended to head for the Gap from Blessington but decided against it and continued on with Joe, we seemed to have a crosswind/headwind for most of the way so took turns on front. I was concerned with such a long spin after doing feck all would be a struggle but in fairness we kept it easy and the legs felt fine later in the evening. We picked up BeepBeep67 in Aughrim (good to put a face to the name) who joined our merry group
    Last 20km or so i was feeling the recent lack of biking but a good day out on the bike and good company to help it fly in.
    Time:5:45, Dist:170.9km(3k missing), Power:AP163/NP186, Cad:82, 3361kj, 29.7kmph

Sunday
    Easy 75min Recovery Run
    Was due to do a 75min easy run but the Father headed out with me as he was up helping with some long overdue DIY jobs. I tried to gently encourage a faster pace from the 5:30s we were doing as they felt so slow. I waited until he suggested to go on as he was struggling so pushed the effort from recovery to easy hitting 4:3x pace for the last 3 or 4k. Enjoyable if slow run.
    Time:1:16:41, Dist:14.64kms, Pace:5:14km

1.5hr easy bike
    Not originally planned but i decided to cycle down to the folks house for din dins. Roast beef dinner and 2 helpings of apple crumble. I digress. Bike legs felt a bit better than yesterday and i stayed in the tt position for most of it. Got pissed on but other than that enjoyable.
    Time:1:31, Dist:51.66km, Power:AP185/NP189, Cad:82, 1210kj, 34kmph

Weekly RU
    Back to some form of training since back from hols on Wednesday. I have certainly lost fitness since Roth in particular on the bike, it will come back though it tends to when you work at it.
    Structured training starts back tomorrow.
    Totals
    Swim: 1:55/5.4km
    Bike: 8:40/268.9km
    Run: 3:20/42km
    Total: 13:55/316.3km

Monday
    2000mtr swim set
    Decent swim the kicking left me feeling very tight though (a bit like the old piriformis issue but nowhere near as bad, need to monitor) 10x50 fist work was good and the 5x100 steady effort alt p/sw came in
    P - 1:45, 1:43, 1:46
    SW - 1:47, 1:49
    50s in on 46, 48, 46, 47 but i felt as though i was thrashing around in these, did not feel good doing them.
    Time:50mins, Dist:2000mtrs

30min easy run
    Slow, uncomfortable and generally just a crap run. Not feeling it all at the moment and i felt like i was dragging my left leg a little for some reason. Run form non existent.
    Time:30:35, Dist:6.44km, Pace:4:45

Tuesday
    FTP Test
    Aborted test as my head was not in it neither was my legs. This was to re establish new zones from my last test but i know myself roughly where i am at, probably 20-30w off last test. Bleh.

Brought my dog to the vet (she is having a few bad weeks), we have had her for around 14/15 years, part of the family. If you have a dog you know what i mean.
    Two options dont have an operation and risk losing her to infection or go ahead with the operation and she is 50/50 due to her age. Not much of a choice really so in for the Op tomorrow, fingers crossed. Head not in training at all this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Ah fingers crossed for the moggie JB

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

JB, hubby is a vet so PM me if you need anything. Sending all good thoughts and energy your way.

Hope the mutt is OK Fran. 15 is a great age.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Thinking of ya and your poor dog. We lost our big ol fool of a dog last year. We still miss him. I hope your old girl is tough and gets past this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

hope your puppy is fine,
    were are in a similar boat, a boxer thats almost 12, so every morning you open the door expecting the worst,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

+1 for the pooch champ - hope she makes it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

interested wrote: »
    Groomsport. I'm available for towing during the swim since it very likely Ill be DNF'ing again ;)

Apologies for the hijack but only saw this now...

@ Interested

If there's any tow on offer I'll take it please sir :D

Must meet up to put face to name anyway.
    Not long now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

How'd the dog get on JB? Hoping it was a successful outcome

Doggy got the op and made it through and his back home, fingers crossed next few days go ok for recovery. She is a strong little girl for 105yrs old!! At least when the kids come home on Saturday they will get to see her. I know the two eldest lads are very fond of her. She sleeps at the bottom of eldest lads bed and i know he would have been crushed if anything happened to her not mention Mummy & Daddy....15yrs is a long time.

Back to training....
    Finding i am forcing myself out to do sessions, unlike me but will keep trucking on.
    Wednesday
    Missed the swim with the doggie troubles but rescheduled it for Thursday morning

2hr bike
    Longer than originally planned but just wanted to get out and cycle. Lovely evening heading out in summer gear and after an hour it got cold when a heavy mist/fog rolled in along with strong winds coming off the coast. Could hardly see in front of me and was concerned with cars coming behind me as i had no reflective gear or lights on. Took me a while to warm up when i got home....freezing.
    Its taking a while to find my bike legs, still looking for them.
    Time:2:10, Dist:67.9kms, Power:AP187/NP194, Cad:84, Work:1453kj, Pace:31.2kmph.

Thursday
    3000mtr swim set
    Peeled myself out of the bed for this one:rolleyes:
    Balance drills were enjoyable. 5x200 steady alt sw/p all came in around 3:40 and 3:48 for both. I notice the time gap between p and sw is reducing so body position must be improving.
    Onto 5x100 alt sw/p as mod hard on 2:15 coming in 1:41, 1:46, 1:43, 1:47 and died a little on last one for 1:50. 4x50 fast was a struggle and i bailed after 2 as form had gone to the dogs, 45,47. I was very tired after this which i should not be.
    Time:1:10, Dist:3000mtr

Weight watch
    09-08 - 70.3kg / 0.6kg w/loss
    02-08 - 70.9kg

Some improvement but i was hopeful for more.
    Fazz wrote: »
    @ Interested
    Not long now.

I heard his rates are expensive!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Fazz wrote: »

@ Interested

Not long now.

Hey there, with the amount of swimming you've been doing and how well you're going I could be looking for the tow. Through one thing or another Ill be attending but definitely not completing. Groomsport is not the place to run 21km whilst still recovering ;)
    I'd imagine you'll be easy enough to spot with the shiv

Thursday cont
    75min MER
    Plan was 75mins and ran slightly over (about 3km missing on garmin). Ran up for a few laps to the run club and joined up with one of the DCM groups for company. Running still not there a combination of fitness and left side still tight so trying to get in with the man with a tan next week.
    Time:1:33, Dist:20.21kms, Pace:4.37km

Friday
    2500mtr swim set
    Unsure on times as left watch at home, WU of 200sw,200p and then 6x50 of my usual balance drills. Some pt work and into the main set of 3x200 steady and 5x100 mod hard effort. Finished off with 4x50 and warm down.
    Interested to see how i go in CK swim tomorrow, hopefully i can get on some feet for a change.
    Time:60mins, Dist:2500mtrs

Bike - Some race pace efforts
    Normal enough tune up before race day. Really unsure what to pace the bike normally i would be expecting to hold around 270w for OLY distance but i guess 240-250w will have to do. 10mins easy and 2x8min efforts at race pace with 10mins easy home.
    Race pace efforts
    NP249 – 35.7kmph -91rpm
    NP250 – 40.6kmph -87rpm
    Time:43:10, Dist:23.4kms, Power:AP193/NP213, Cad:82rpm, Work:496kj, Pace:32.5kmph

So race gods don't fook with me tomorrow.... no messing seriously. Just want to have an enjoyable race without issue. Time to get gear ready and get me race face on.

Finally crossed a triathlon finish line for the first time this year even if it was the slowest I have ever done. Of course there was issues there always seems to be with me this year. I would put money on that I had the slowest swim of the day, pretty sure I will look like one of Katie Taylors victims later.

Will stick up a report later as it should be funny especially post race when going to collect my gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Finally crossed a triathlon finish line for the first time this year even if it was the slowest I have ever done. Of course there was issues there always seems to be with me this year. I would put money on that I had the slowest swim of the day, pretty sure I will look like one of Katie Taylors victims later.

Will stick up a report later as it should be funny especially post race when going to collect my gear.

At least you got one race done this season :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Good to finally meet you today Fran. And your not THAT short.....

What happened post race?? I know about the other troubles you had, but I obviously missed something too. Hopefully in a few years time you'll be at the start line in Kona and you'll think back to the 2012 season, and you'll just laugh!! If you can get through this year still hungry you'll be alright.

Caroline Kearney OLY Tri

Swim
    I was looking forward to the swim after all the OW swimming done in Turkey and was hopeful of something around 27/8mins. Lined myself to the left which i felt was a shorter line to the first buoy. In to the melee and not long into it i get a foot or elbow into my face and goggles resulting in a goggle malfunction with the lens shifting and both now letting in water...not to mention a sore eye socket for my troubles.
    I tried to fix them but no joy and moving to wave 2 was not an option, everyone was long gone nearing the first buoy at this stage. I tried swimming normally with eyes closed but could not see anything (surprisingly) I was going around in circles and across the other side of the lake whilst constantly swimming into one of the canoes. I ended up doing the whole thing breastroke with my head out of the water which was not good for the legs and back.
    I had made my mind up all tri related stuff was being sold when i got home, fck this, this is not fun. I then started to laugh my a$$ off at how things have went this year, contemplated jumping in a canoe and said fck it just finish a race. I think i was 5th slowest coming out of the water and the race was long gone as transition was like a ghost town.
    Swim - 46:32:eek:

T1 - Just walked through it, no point rushing around at this stage, probably the slowest at 1:53

Bike
    A nice enough route with it being a 2 loop affair and 42k in distance. Did not push the bike at all, a combination of the legs feeling screwed, no targets to chase and mentally i had switched off at that stage. Ended up only pushing out NP of 191 which is sh1te. The only thing i was happy with on the bike was my dismount.
    Bike - 1:15:40 for an avg of 33.5kmph

T2 - 1:14, again just strolled through transition.

Run
    Thought the run course was nice enough with two out and backs, the trail portion was enjoyable although passing people was difficult at times especially when others coming the other way. A bit like the bike i did not really push myself at all or was it a case that my current fitness levels would not allow me to. All i know is a few weeks ago this was easy run pace and it felt far from easy on Saturday. Stopped for a slash which i probably lost 30secs or so...again normally i would just go as i run but hey 30secs would make fec all difference at this stage.
    Run - 43:58

Overall a 2:49:19 and my worst ever OLY time and placing in a race. Fine i lost about 20mins on the swim which would have moved me up a 100 places but i switched off on the bike and run. I sort of enjoyed at least finishing a bloody race but as i sit here now i am just pissed off with the way this whole year has gone. I knew this race would tell me nothing after coming back from a break but it really did tell me nothing apart from feeling very sluggish.

So just as i thought the day could not get any worse i was heading back into transition to pick up my gear and I do a double take when i see my number on the penalty board as DQ, ah here someone is taking the piss. It was apparent very quickly after speaking to one of the officials that this was not a piss take. I got speaking to one of the TI officials who funnily enough had bumped into me in the recovery tent in Roth, (not that i could remember much at the time). A quick clarification and garmin confirmation that i ran the full course sorted it all out. I think i most defineatly would have sold the lot if i had got home to see a DQ:o

Well done to organisers, officials and volunteers. A great race and i hope to be back next year.

• Advertisement

Sunday
    Bike
    I was due to do 2.5hr ride with 45mins of IM effort but my whole body just feels wrecked and my legs were achy heading out. I got in 1.5hr and called it a day as i was not up to it and one of the kids could have cycled faster. I have a hrm on the go again, hr reading low at 135 for the ride so CV wise it looks ok but the legs...those bloody legs.
    Time:1:33, Dist:46.47kms, Power:NP 173w, Cad:85, Pace:29.9kmph

Weekly RU
    Just short of 12 hours of pure junk, not one good session at all. Horrible when the mind wants to get back into it and the body is not playing ball. In tomorrow evening to try and loosen out these planks.
    The aim for next week is to hit two sessions i can be happy with and try lose another kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

A great race and i hope to be back next year.

Good to read that last line JB. Hopefully you've used up all your bad luck this year and it's smooth from here on in.

You've just gotta laugh at yourself sometimes. Lost sheep will be better, right?

pgibbo wrote: »
    Good to read that last line JB. Hopefully you've used up all your bad luck this year and it's smooth from here on in.
    You've just gotta laugh at yourself sometimes. Lost sheep will be better, right?

If the luck does not change i am taking up Golf again. I have laughed numerous times at myself alright.

Not going to log any more sessions on here until i get back into reasonable shape and feel good about my training again.
    Bad enough having **** sessions but logging them just adds to the misery.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I just want to read about you doin somethin great where it all goes well for ya. I look forward to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Oryx wrote: »
    I just want to read about you doin somethin great where it all goes well for ya. I look forward to that.

With his luck he'll probably run DCM in about 4 hours!! Chin up JB, it'll come together for you soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭El Director

Fair play JB on the finish! Love your never give up, never give it attitude. Keep working at it and someday it'll be....perfect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

JB, not sure what the coach thinks, but have you thought about training with no numbers for a while (esp in early winter months) just to take the mental pressure of having to hit xxx watts or pace.

+1 on the mental attitude,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Perhaps inject a little devil-may-care into your training for a bit to give yourself a break....and maybe consider signing up for a "fun" event like a tri-relay (if anyone dares partner with you ;)) or a mud run/obstacle course. You'd have a blast, especially if you're doing it as a team!!!! :)

• Advertisement

@ Oryx - same here, same here!!
    @ BTH - could you imagine the look on the sub 3:30 group if i told them "sorry we are half an hour late" in DCM:)
    @ ElD - certainly looking forward to that day when everything clicks in my favour.
    @ BM - good point and yes it was raised by coach. In fairness i have been doing the sessions by feel the last two weeks and only looking at stats after the sessions. I am a stats nerd what can i say.
    @ Dory - Well i do have a "fun" event lined up for the end of September and its something that was booked a few weeks ago after an executive decision was made by Mrs JB on holiday.

I had planned on keeping the "fun" event under wraps but sure what the hell i am putting no pressure on myself for it.

Advertisement