Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

tunney wrote: »
    Thats a good one, which one of the little lads thought that one up?
    Me, well i am a little teapot. I heard you are going through shorts and trousers at an alarming rate, care to share with the online masses:rolleyes:
    Dory Dory wrote: »
    Ditch logging??? :eek::eek::eek::eek: You don't love us??? :(:(:(:(
    Ack i do you are a great bunch of loons. I will wait and see but for now ditching it short term.
    griffin100 wrote: »
    Great report Fran. A nice way to end a season that started off so badly. Looking forward to drafting of you during the Monday night sessions in your new role as an uber fish :D
    In my own mind i am an uber fish in reality i am a faster slow swimmer. Still lots to go. I will do a sub 60 IM swim before i die, promise.
    RedB wrote: »
    Great report JB and nice to see that MCOS has been taking posing tips from Celia Holmanlee :D C'mon Limerick!:)
    He is holidng the muffin in, he let out a big breath after the photo was taken and his wetsuit rolled all the way down to his ankles with the release of pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Great Report JB. A great improvement in your PB too. Loving the kit!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Well done Fran, really enjoyed the report and looking forward to hearing more about it over beers tomorrow night!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

great report...excellent result..well done JB

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Well, gosh, unless they have you standing on a milk crate, obi one isn't that much taller than you!! ;)

Great report and nice racing. There's one thing for sure about you, JB...you've got heart and you give it your all. You're a brave man, well done. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Great read Jacky well done, Barcelona is definitely one on my radar in the coming years. Would you recommend it as

A. Somewhere you could spend a few days on holiday after
    B. The race itself did it compare favorably to Bolton and Roth
    C. Support for the race
    D. Course difficulty
    E. Easy to get there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I agree with DD Fran, you've an awful lot of guts and determination, that comes through in the report. To go from the low of Roth, and have such a great result in Barcelona... pretty inspiring, actually. Well done, and thanks for sharing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

Nice one Fran, great pb. Looking forward to the post Roth drinks we have been promising ourselves!

Make sure you bring ID with you tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

Well done JB, great race and a great report.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

JB fair play, as all ready said it took something elseto pick your self up after Roth, and get back out there.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

A report never does justice to the mindbending body crushing experience that is IM. Your report sounds cool and calm and determined but I bet the race was much more than you've put down here. :) I'm so glad to see you finish the year on a high, christ knows you've earned that. Youre an inspiration, weeman. :)

Great Report JB. A great improvement in your PB too. Loving the kit!
    I think i blinded a few people with the technicolour tri suit, you would slow down traffic with that colour scheme.:)
    Bambaata wrote: »
    Well done Fran, really enjoyed the report and looking forward to hearing more about it over beers tomorrow night!
    Looking forward to a few beers alright no doubt i will have you bored regailing events from the race:)
    catweazle wrote: »
    Great read Jacky well done, Barcelona is definitely one on my radar in the coming years. Would you recommend it as

A. Somewhere you could spend a few days on holiday after
    B. The race itself did it compare favorably to Bolton and Roth
    C. Support for the race
    D. Course difficulty
    E. Easy to get there

A. Yes i would, plenty of nice coffee shops, nice crepes, usually good weather and the med to swim in. What more could you want.
    B. In my book Barca is best for a few reasons. Bolton is ****, **** roads, not a big race feel, feel like you nare getting raped by the IM brand. Roth is a nice race but a logistical nightmare with split transitions. Barca, great roads, cracking swim location in the med, decent enough support, cheap to get to, cheap accom and everything in the one transition. You could literally be back in your hotel room after 20 mins of finishing the race, do not under estimate that. A big thumbs up from me and one i would recommend.
    C. In places good
    D. I would consider it a fast enough course, wind can play a huge part on the bike though with it being along the coast. A sub 8 course if the big guns ever raced it problem is 2nd and 3rd tier pros only racing there at the moment.
    E. Take your pic, Ryanair/Aerlingus and you have options of flying into Barca/Girona.
    I take it with all these questions you are contemplating it:) Entries open!!
    Mr Tango wrote: »
    Nice one Fran, great pb. Looking forward to the post Roth drinks we have been promising ourselves!

Make sure you bring ID with you tomorrow!
    Make sure you bring your handbag.
    Oryx wrote: »
    A report never does justice to the mindbending body crushing experience that is IM. Your report sounds cool and calm and determined but I bet the race was much more than you've put down here. :) I'm so glad to see you finish the year on a high, christ knows you've earned that. Youre an inspiration, weeman. :)

Less of the weeman ye here:). I think the photo in the race report shows that Tunney has been telling fibs about my dwarfism/gnomism, I am slightly above average at 5ft 71/2 (the half is important).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Savage race JB! Huge congrats - I can't even begin to fathom the pain of the marathon on top of those additional 6/7 hours! Loved your report - your powers of description made me feel like I was in the pain cave with you and I may have diluted my coffee with a tear or two at the emotion of it all! Enjoy the recovery (my God you deserve it!!) and best of luck with the next goal :)

I take it with all these questions you are contemplating it:) Entries open!!

I am as I like the time of year it is at - would be able to do a few of the good races in Ireland and the Humbert as a lead up to it rather than long winter turbo sessions and freezing my nads off in Tri an Mhi

Will be more looking at 2014 though unless the family circumstances masterplan unexpectedly change ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Very enjoyable read JB. Congrats again! :cool:

What was the temperature like on the day. I totally agree with all your points to CW about the race. The wind seems to get stronger as the morning progresses. A bit of a killer for the weaker cyclists.

As for CW, he's talking through his ar$e. He was supposed to go long this year, then it was next year & now it's 2014. I'll believe it when I see his name on an entry list! :P

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Apologies for calling you wee, man. I can now see you are a statuesque figure of a man, a full one-and-half inches taller than me.

pgibbo wrote: »
    As for CW, he's talking through his ar$e. He was supposed to go long this year, then it was next year & now it's 2014. I'll believe it when I see his name on an entry list! :P

I am waiting till I am confident of beating your time, hence postponement after postponement after postponement.

By 2014 though I will be the fastest Ironman in Corbally (north as well as South)

I am waiting till I am confident of beating your time, hence postponement after postponement after postponement.

By 2014 though I will be the fastest Ironman in Corbally (north as well as South)

You better be thinking 10:30 or faster so because I'll be doing one in 2014 too and 10:30 will be the target!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Looking forward to a few beers alright no doubt i will have you bored regailing events from the race:)

C0ck, c0ck, c0ck.

Just realised I can abuse you tonight about being slower and shorter than me. Just shorter. Buggery.

claralara wrote: »
    Savage race JB! Huge congrats - I can't even begin to fathom the pain of the marathon on top of those additional 6/7 hours! Loved your report - your powers of description made me feel like I was in the pain cave with you and I may have diluted my coffee with a tear or two at the emotion of it all! Enjoy the recovery (my God you deserve it!!) and best of luck with the next goal :)
    Just read your own exploits in Berlin, a 45min pb and a 3:08 is very impressive. You made it sound so easy that there is certainly more improvements to come. For those who don't follow the dark side this race report is certainly worth a read on how to run a marathon.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056134487&page=65
    I am as I like the time of year it is at - would be able to do a few of the good races in Ireland and the Humbert as a lead up to it rather than long winter turbo sessions and freezing my nads off in Tri an Mhi

Will be more looking at 2014 though unless the family circumstances masterplan unexpectedly change ;)
    Go for it and tell the missus after.
    Very enjoyable read JB. Congrats again! :cool:

What was the temperature like on the day. I totally agree with all your points to CW about the race. The wind seems to get stronger as the morning progresses. A bit of a killer for the weaker cyclists.

In fairness conditions were perfect at 20 degrees, we even had some rain towards the end of the bike and a bit of cloud cover. CW should just man up, sign up and get it done:)
    Oryx wrote: »
    Apologies for calling you wee, man. I can now see you are a statuesque figure of a man, a full one-and-half inches taller than me.
    Apology accpeted:)
    C0ck, c0ck, c0ck.

Just realised I can abuse you tonight about being slower and shorter than me. Just shorter. Buggery.

Lol unless you have got lipo the last while i can get away with calling you fat & slow this evening. Should be some craic, bring a spare pair of jeans just in case you rip another pair!!

• Advertisement

Lol unless you have got lipo the last while i can get away with calling you fat & slow this evening. Should be some craic, bring a spare pair of jeans just in case you rip another pair!!

I am looking forward to my night of quaffing ale with a dwarf and Ian Paisley's god son.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You have a talent for the emotional reports Fran. Well done again, hope the body is returning to normal.

I am looking forward to my night of quaffing ale with a dwarf and Ian Paisley's god son.

I'm intrigued.......who is the god son?

I'm intrigued.......who is the god son?

Not 100% sure but Tango named some of his children after Paisley*. You cannot take the orange out of the orangeman. Surprised he is coming out tonight as we thought he was away on some march up in the iddle diddle doo country:)

*may not be true but lets run with it

Not 100% sure but Tango named some of his children after Paisley*. You cannot take the orange out of the orangeman. Surprised he is coming out tonight as we thought he was away on some march up in the iddle diddle doo country:)

*may not be true but lets run with it

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Paisley

Ian Richard Kyle Paisley *

* May or may not be a co-incidence but my take on it is he named his son after his god father**

**I may or may not have made this completely up. But here, everyone on TDAR now equates dwarf with JB so no reason we cannot pick this up and run with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Read your report a couple of times today, well done and thanks for it. It was a pleasure meeting you and your better half, ther y'aar noiy :) Very pleased for you that you got your mojo back again. I'll be sure to have my bikeand runners in the car if I'm knocking around your neck of the woods

Enjoy the pacing gig!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Just got round to reading your report there jb even though I was glued to the computer last week waiting to hear how ye guys did. Well done on a fantastic PB. I love how you write your race reports, thoroughly enjoyable read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Great report Fran, very enjoyable read. Well done on the race, it can't have been easy to find the motivation to get back into ironman shape after what happened in Roth. Congrats on what was a very good performance in your second IM in such a short space of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Superb stuff Fran. Really enjoyable report. A great full-stop to another chapter in your IM career. A 3:42 marathon sounds incredibly impressive after 7 hours of grueling activity. Love the picture of the young fella. He really is the spit of ye. Were the two lads holding you up in that picture?

Hope the hangover's manageable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭El Director

Excellent report for an excellent race! Well done again Fran, delighted that you got something from all your hard work and effort.

Advertisement