Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

You are one focused dude. I clearly recall each time we passed each other on the run. Big improvements to come lad.
    See you for pacing duties in 3 weeks , ... hope you don't snore or fart too much the night before :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

zico10 wrote: »
    Great report Fran, very enjoyable read. Well done on the race, it can't have been easy to find the motivation to get back into ironman shape after what happened in Roth. Congrats on what was a very good performance in your second IM in such a short space of time.
    TBH that was the hardest part for me and struggling to get any form back that i had going into Roth. I don't think i will ever stay off the bike for 4 weeks again as its surprising how much power you can lose in that time.
    Superb stuff Fran. Really enjoyable report. A great full-stop to another chapter in your IM career. A 3:42 marathon sounds incredibly impressive after 7 hours of grueling activity. Love the picture of the young fella. He really is the spit of ye. Were the two lads holding you up in that picture?
    Hope the hangover's manageable!
    Its amazing how a story gets about (thanks Tunney) re my height. I AM NOT A DWARF just a little short:) The hangover was not so bad, the 3:30am bus journey home was pretty grim though. Catch you for some pb pints after DCM, make sure you perfect the patented TRR windmill celebrations.
    Excellent report for an excellent race! Well done again Fran, delighted that you got something from all your hard work and effort.
    Cheers ElD and many thanks again for the extended loan of the bike box, will be in touch to return it to you this week.
    Abhainn wrote: »
    You are one focused dude. I clearly recall each time we passed each other on the run. Big improvements to come lad.
    See you for pacing duties in 3 weeks , ... hope you don't snore or fart too much the night before :rolleyes:

Thats the least of your worries, i sleepwalk in the nude and may mistake you for Michelle:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

super report and achievement fran. A model of determination. Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Top notch report JB....Great performance... Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Well done Fran, nice to put Roth to bed. Enjoy the unstructured training and I might catch you for a spin at some stage.

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Well done Fran, nice to put Roth to bed. Enjoy the unstructured training and I might catch you for a spin at some stage.

No doubt as i plan to live in the Wicklow hills over Winter.

I feel a little lost not logging anything, so used to doing it at this stage:o. Going back to logging but with less available time (Michelle back to work p/time) it will mean less content and probably more of a weekly summary rather than session by session. I suppose i have to keep this log going until the title has been achieved and that box ticked:) It also helps to be able to look back in the log and see how things are comparing at different stages of the training cycle.

So quick training update since Barca. I have had a good few enjoyable/easy sessions in the last two weeks and have trained only when i have wanted to. Got out for a long spin 2 weeks ago with Tango & McChunky which was enjoyable around Wicklow. Also out last Sunday for another long bike on my own which turned into a longer hungover spin than planned with more punctures and detours to turn it into an "epic" ride for the wrong reasons. Main thing is i have enjoyed the unstructured training and downtime.

Back to structured training with coach next week and i really cannot wait to get my teeth stuck into the challenging Winter ahead. No doubt there will be new ways of suffering, bring it on!!
    Just getting over a tummy bug so have done nothing since Monday nights terrible swim with Tango, i was fudged. I might get out for an easy trot later with some of the marathon crew from the club who are tapering down.

Training stats from last season
    Swim - 362,450mtrs - 141hrs - 23.5%
    Bike - 7647.3kms - 250hrs - 41.8%
    Run - 2329.8kms - 178hrs - 29.7%
    Other - about 20hrs
    11.5hrs training average a week. Lower than i expected but good quality training throughout.

Thats all for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

No doubt as i plan to live in the Wicklow hills over Winter.

Finally dragged my ass back into the hills thismorning for the first time in a long time, suspect I spied yourself and friends descending off the sally gap in the morning.. nice start to the winter right there :)

kingQuez wrote: »
    Finally dragged my ass back into the hills thismorning for the first time in a long time, suspect I spied yourself and friends descending off the sally gap in the morning.. nice start to the winter right there :)

Yeah it was Tunney, Tango and myself descending. Dangerous enough with loose gravel coming down and eejits in jeeps trying to kill you on the opposite side of the road:)

Last week of unstructured
    Mon - 45min club swim - shocking session, start of tummy bug
    Tue - nada sick as a small dog
    Wed - 45min easy run, 5.09km pace/8.73km with club runners doing marathon
    Thurs - 65min easy spin on turbo, no garmin
    Fri - nada, again shifting last of tummy bug
    Sat - 1.5hr easy spin, 41.7km, AP172w/NP189w
    Sun - 5hr hilly bike in Wicklow, 1391mtrs of elev gain, 125kms, AP147w/NP176w. Out around Wicklow with the lads with a 6.25am roll off time. Good session with plenty of climbing. McChunky found his climbing legs and there was no dropping him this time around in fact the roles were reversed:) He must have been putting in 400w bursts at the start of the climbs for a minute or two (cunning fox). Whilst i maintained the gap on him i lacked that explosive burst that i used to have to follow his wheel, it will come back though. Tango had a tough day at the office (similar myself last week) but grinded it out, those days stand to you though. Felt fine at the end and could have gone for much longer. Really enjoyed this one as i just love cycling around Wicklow with great views on offer.

So 9hrs 10mins in total with most of it cycling. Eager to get back into structured training from tomorrow and the following week I have DCM pacing duties.
    My two main races confirmed so far for next year, IM Frankfurt and Abu Dhabi L/Course (waiting on entries to open). It all starts again and you know what i cannot wait for the challenges that lay ahead. My mantra for next season will be SFF, stronger, faster and fitter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Two things.

1) Can't believe you're making her go make to work after making her breed your offspring. :pac:
    2) Yer back cycling in the hills already? I was thinking a nice flat spin next week would suffice. :(

• Advertisement

Was it the dwarfism that gave him away or was he on his daughters pink bike with tassels again?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Guess that's next years SBR sorted! Great to see you are still hungry for it. Can't believe you are on 5 hour bike already! Crazy fool! You have a swim plan or you just going to become the next Mr choo choo?

Two things.

1) Can't believe you're making her go make to work after making her breed your offspring. :pac:
    2) Yer back cycling in the hills already? I was thinking a nice flat spin next week would suffice. :(

1) She has to go out and work with all the gear i am buying.
    2) Yes and no get yourself up them hills with William
    Was it the dwarfism that gave him away or was he on his daughters pink bike with tassels again?
    At least i ride the bike without stabilisers;) I was wearing an interesting colour scheme.
    Guess that's next years SBR sorted! Great to see you are still hungry for it. Can't believe you are on 5 hour bike already! Crazy fool! You have a swim plan or you just going to become the next Mr choo choo?

Swim plan is continue the Monday night sessions with Tango and work on weaknesses. I knows its a big time investment weekly (nearly 2.5hr with travel) for one swim session but i think its worthwhile and from my recent Barca IM swim experience, gains are being made. I just need to try take more good strokes than bad and actually try kicking a bit:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Abu Dhabi....nice! :cool:

Any chance you'd send down a few off cuts from that tree you have out the back????? :D

Good to hear that you're eager to go. No twitter whilst cycling last weekend I take it? ;)

1) She has to go out and work with all the gear i am buying.
    2) Yes and no get yourself up them hills with William

It's cool to stop for tea and choc muffins when I go out, right? I'm going next Monday, I've nothing else on that day. Why no join me so I can prove it?

Oh, no are you busy? :(
    At least i ride the bike without stabilisers;) I was wearing an interesting colour scheme.

No need to be dragging poor KQ and his stabilisers into this, he tries to cycle faster, bless him, but, his legs are almost as short as yours!

Me I'm more worried about my inability to stay on my feet, never mind getting so far as getting on a bike. Almost ran into a wall tonight. I think someone moved it...

By the way when I say I almost ran into a wall. I actually mean I ran into a wall.

Couldn't make it up.

pgibbo wrote: »
    Abu Dhabi....nice! :cool:

Any chance you'd send down a few off cuts from that tree you have out the back????? :D

Good to hear that you're eager to go. No twitter whilst cycling last weekend I take it? ;)
    The tree is bare:) No twitting but there was no punctures this time around.
    It's cool to stop for tea and choc muffins when I go out, right? I'm going next Monday, I've nothing else on that day. Why no join me so I can prove it?

Oh, no are you busy? :(

No need to be dragging poor KQ and his stabilisers into this, he tries to cycle faster, bless him, but, his legs are almost as short as yours!

Me I'm more worried about my inability to stay on my feet, never mind getting so far as getting on a bike. Almost ran into a wall tonight. I think someone moved it...
    Stop for a big mac and milkshake, get those calories in.
    By the way when I say I almost ran into a wall. I actually mean I ran into a wall.

Couldn't make it up.
    You need to go on some form of bike handling course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hey JB!! Have fun on Monday with your pacing gig!!! I expect a high percentage of success getting your pacees across the line in sub 3:30 time!! In fact, I think there should be some sort of competition to see which pacing group gets the most runners through in under their targeted times. :) Looking forward to your report already - however without IVs, food poisoning, German rental vans, two wacky friends, a missing/missed wife, a snotty nose, and near death experiences, it will likely be a bit boring compared to some of your previous literary works. ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Hey JB!! Have fun on Monday with your pacing gig!!! I expect a high percentage of success getting your pacees across the line in sub 3:30 time!! In fact, I think there should be some sort of competition to see which pacing group gets the most runners through in under their targeted times. :) Looking forward to your report already - however without IVs, food poisoning, German rental vans, two wacky friends, a missing/missed wife, a snotty nose, and near death experiences, it will likely be a bit boring compared to some of your previous literary works. ;)

Cheers DD sure it's just a long training run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Not sure if you wish a pacer "good luck" but what the hell:D
    Good luck monday,

• Advertisement

You need to go on some form of bike handling course.

Bike handling? For when I'm out running? I don't think that'd be much use! :D

Have fun Monday, will try to make it out on the course.

I had great craic today, 42.2km training run was fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

I had great craic today, 42.2km training run was fun :)

Most have picked up after I left; )

Sorry I couldn't stick with ye but you got me a lot further than I thought I would early on. Next time: )

Good to meet you and many thanks for the cracking plan and pacing

So first week back structured, i hit every early morning session scheduled for the week and was happy with that. Good to be back into a routine.

Mon - 45min club swim, not great, lost feel for water with lack of swims last week, 45min easy run, 9.5kms. I broke out a new pair of ST5's for this, enjoyable.
    Tue - 1hr bike with some work 40 to 60w above easy, 30.4kms, 206np, 35min core session which was bloody tough.
    Wed - 45min, 2km swim set, better but still not great in the water struggling to hold 1:55 pace. 43min easy run, 8.7kms.
    Thurs - 45min S&C, worked muscles i have not used in a long time and fecked my back up, not injured just too much to soon, ok now though. 1hr bike with some surges to 600w, 33.1kms, 186np.
    Fri - 50min, 2100mtrs swim set, much better, technique session. 48min easy run with some builds, 10kms.
    Sat - 2hr easy bike, 55.31kms, 183np. Very enjoyable morning to be out, cold but the sun was shining. I kept the effort easy with marathon pacing on the Monday.
    Sun - 40min run with some work, 8.55kms

10:37Hrs training in total, swim 2:20, bike:4hrs, run:2:57 and S&C:1:20.

Dublin Marathon - 3:30 pacing gig
    My third year in a row running DCM and the second year as pacer having paced the 3:45 group around lat year. Sunday evening we had the pacers meal and a few "beverages" were had. I have never laughed so much especially one of the pacers going out for his last LSR at midnight, interesting training plan of 3 weeks which i must look into, he will remain unnamed;)
    Up early at 6am on Monday and got some brekkie in with Obe One and the pacers headed down towards the start. We had a good group who all worked together for most of the way around and most took off when we hit 24miles after my attempt of the "motivational speech" was delivered:) I seen two of my sub 3:30 marathon crew from the club coming back to me at mile 25 and promptly got on their shoulder and yelled at them to move it with only a few minutes of running left, thankfully both made it across the line under their targets.
    Great experience and i enjoyed it as always. Delighted with the results the club posted and for anyone who ran yesterday it would have been hard to miss the support DDAC had out there. Some cracking times with 1st timers who orginally were targeting sub 4hrs 20 weeks who came in on sub 3:15/20.

42.58kms in 3:29:27, job done!!

Fec this, think i will go back to daily updates rather than weekly, can hardly remember yesterday let alone the start of last week:rolleyes: any way,

Monday
    3.5hr run
    DCM pacing duties, 42.6kms, 4.55km pace

Tuesday
    Swim
    2km swim set, some fist work and alternating 100s. Just an ok swim.

Wednesday
    Swim
    Another 2km swim set with some balance drills thrown in. Also 4x200s which came in around 3.45-3.50. Starting to get a feel back for the water.
    Bike/Turbo
    Just 1hr easy, focussed on keeping cadence above 90. AP184W/NP190W.

Thursday
    Run
    Just an easy 30min run and first one after DCM. 5.3kms @ 5.06km pace, legs a little tender but did not push the pace as i had been in for a physio session earlier that morning.
    Swim
    Pulled the Friday session forward. Third swim in a row and it felt good. 2k set and i had some 100s and feet to follow with them coming in around 1:45 which i was happy with as i felt good in the water.

Friday
    Bike
    An hr easy out on the road in the pissing rain. I threw in some short tempo efforts occasionally just to remind the legs that they still need to do some work and to keep warm. AP176W/NP190W, 27.5kms

Saturday
    3hr long bike
    I had been out on the lash with the running club celebrating their DCM exploits. Some night, our ladies finished 6th in the national rankings but if one of the members had ran for the club instead of the guards they would have placed 3rd:( I digress. Whopper of a hangover heading out but it was great weather for cycling if a little chilly. I actually felt good on the bike despite my condition and i pushed near 200w for an hour at the back end of the ride. I told my coach earlier in the week that i felt i had gone soft on the bike since Germany and this was the first signs of a bit of form returning. The aim is to make him hurt the next time i am out with him on the bike:) AP184W/NP190W, 87.6kms, 2004kj, 160tss

Sunday
    Louth Senior 10k XC
    I had an easy 45min run planned for today but a late decision had me lining up for what was going to be a tough race. I think i have only ever ran one XC before and it showed. I was the only one who lined up with no spikes on (i don't have a pair) i was at a serious disadvantage from the off. The conditions were absolutely brutal and i was losing a lot of time on the uphills and downhills as i had no grip. I took a very heavy fall shortly into it and landed on one of the race markers which winded me badly and took some time to get going again. At that stage i was near the back and had lost contact with the main bunch, i was laughing though as i was covered head to toe in sludge. I started to close a gap or two until i had my 2nd and 3rd fall, i would have been quicker running in Michelle's high heels. I finished at the back of the field in what was one of my slowest ever 10k times but probably one of the most enjoyable and memorable runs i have had. Just pure enjoyment. There is another XC coming up the week after next which i want to have a crack at, i will have spikes next time around. With the race run down and back along with warm up and cool down i actually done 20km. Some muddy photos below:)

Weekly RU
    A good and enjoyable week with some fun sprinkled in with the DCM pacing and the XC yesterday. Decent enough run volume considering only 3 runs in the week, i tend to find if i am not running 40k+ a week i see little improvement. Next week the real work starts though and have a 16hr week scheduled to get stuck into.
    Swim - 2hr15/6kms
    Bike - 5hr2/148.6kms
    Run - 5hr34/68.1kms
    Total - 12hr51mins/222.7kms

Oh and i got myself a 910xt yesterday, i hope it is one of the watches that actually works without issue!!

Monday
    Run
    Just a 45min easy run. Out with the 910xt for its first session, decent enough watch apart from somehow losing the activity:confused: That and the fact the new hr strap ripped the cr@p out of me.
    47mins,10.3kms,4.37m/km,ahr154

Tuesday
    Run
    40mins easy with some 20 sec builds thrown in bringing the pace down to 3;15/25m/km pace. Moving well and route was hilly enough.
    40mins,8.7kms,4.39m/km

Swim
    Nice new stats to track on the swim with the 910:rolleyes: Missed Tangos swim session on Monday as late out of work. Just made up a session of 2k as i went along. One thing the 910 does not capture is drills & kick, so just time recorded on them. Perhaps someone can tell me if stats are good or bad. 5x100s came in 1:40,6,6,9,8. 1:54 p/100 pace on work that was captured.
    46mins,2000mtrs,swolf41,eff41

Bike
    70mins on the turbo with some HC working up to 115/120rpm, builds building to 500w and a hefty chunk of work around the 240-250w range. Not quite pain cave material but i was working pretty darn hard. AHR drifting out on the six intervals which was not good, still a good session put down.
    70mins,41.8kms,ap214w/np222w,ahr157

An SBR day... hoochiedoubledee would be proud. I wonder if I'll pine for the turbo work at some stage reading about all your pain.... NAH :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Can't turn your back for two minutes without someone grabbing a dagger around here!

• Advertisement

Can't turn your back for two minutes without someone grabbing a dagger around here!

If only RQ would post her junk kms SBR stats she might earn hoochie status ... :)

Advertisement