Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

kingQuez wrote: »
    Can't turn your back for two minutes without someone grabbing a dagger around here!

Ye what now?! :eek: Coming from me, that was a compliment! :D
    If only RQ would post her junk kms SBR stats she might earn hoochie status ... :)

I'm waiting for Izoard to latch back into the top ten so I can dislodge him :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

An SBR day... hoochiedoubledee would be proud. I wonder if I'll pine for the turbo work at some stage reading about all your pain.... NAH :D

Cannot afford to miss a swim session, at least 3 a week without fail if i am to progress to the next level of slowness. I am sure you miss the turbo work:rolleyes:
    kingQuez wrote: »
    Can't turn your back for two minutes without someone grabbing a dagger around here!
    She is some girl, you would think she is 6ft the way she goes on:)

Wednesday
    Swim
    I have often said i need to bring the same level of intensity to my swimming as i do with the bike & run as i cannot suffer well in the pool, in this session i did.
    It was a 2.5km set with the main body of work 10x100 with 15sec recoveries alt sw/p. These were due to be done steady but ended up being hard as a group developed and i was in the middle of it, two fishies miles off in front and trying to keep those behind me off my feet.
    The result well my fastest set of 100s ever, 1:37,42,41,41,36,37,42,41,42,43 I was spent after it but i did try to hold my form together. Tough tough session but i enjoyed it. Avg pace overall on the 910 excluding the drills/kicking/rest intervals was 1:48 p/100
    2.5km,59mins, swolf 39,1.48 p/100

Turbo
    Just an hour easy on the turbo, stuck Mallorca on and rode the hills easy, mostly between 5 - 8% gradient.
    60mins,33.2kms,ap188w/np191w

Thursday
    Longish Easy Run
    Alarm went off at 5.30am and i nearly rolled over. A quick glass of water, headtorch on and out along a hilly route. Felt like i was running in treacle for the first 5k but it improved a bit after that. Just kept it nice and easy.
    1:18,16.5kms,4.45km,ahr152

S&C
    55mins in the gym and various ways of inflicting pain on myself. As each of these sessions i can feel i am getting stronger although that could just be a placebo effect. Same test as 2 weeks ago, weight now at 68kg and 10.1%BF (think either this or last reading was off)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭El Director

Wednesday
    Swim
    I have often said i need to bring the same level of intensity to my swimming as i do with the bike & run as i cannot suffer well in the pool, in this session i did.
    It was a 2.5km set with the main body of work 10x100 with 15sec recoveries alt sw/p. These were due to be done steady but ended up being hard as a group developed and i was in the middle of it, two fishies miles off in front and trying to keep those behind me off my feet.
    The result well my fastest set of 100s ever, 1:37,42,41,41,36,37,42,41,42,43 I was spent after it but i did try to hold my form together. Tough tough session but i enjoyed it. Avg pace overall on the 910 excluding the drills/kicking/rest intervals was 1:48 p/100
    2.5km,59mins, swolf 39,1.48 p/100

Turbo
    Just an hour easy on the turbo, stuck Mallorca on and rode the hills easy, mostly between 5 - 8% gradient.
    60mins,33.2kms,ap188w/np191w

Thursday
    Longish Easy Run
    Alarm went off at 5.30am and i nearly rolled over. A quick glass of water, headtorch on and out along a hilly route. Felt like i was running in treacle for the first 5k but it improved a bit after that. Just kept it nice and easy.
    1:18,16.5kms,4.45km,ahr152

S&C
    55mins in the gym and various ways of inflicting pain on myself. As each of these sessions i can feel i am getting stronger although that could just be a placebo effect. Same test as 2 weeks ago, weight now at 68kg and 10.1%BF (think either this or last reading was off)

Tipping along nicely JB thats for sure. Well done on the 100's there that was a bit of a breakthrough session for you was it not?

"...stuck Mallorca on and rode the hills easy, mostly between 5 - 8% gradient."

^^^^^What does this mean? :confused: Do you have a video or VR video or something? When going up hill does resistance on your trainer change...like a Computrainer? Sorry if silly question :o

Suppose you could call it a bit of a breakthrough swim session. Still a lot to improve on technique though.

The trainer would be a poor cousin of the CT :) tacx fortius. It has some videos which adjust the resistance to simulate the grade you are cycling on the DVD. It keeps the boredom levels down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

Nice set of times there Fran, the next Tango TT should be interesting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well done on the swim progress. What distance is the next TT? Do you get a hare to chase or a hound to be chased by?

griffin100 wrote: »
    Nice set of times there Fran, the next Tango TT should be interesting :)

Hopefully set a new benchmark. Need a few to back to back sessions like Wednesdays, hoping its not a one off.
    Well done on the swim progress. What distance is the next TT? Do you get a hare to chase or a hound to be chased by?

400tt and it will be a case of chase or be chased:)

Friday
    Woke up feeling crappy so thought i could reschedule the planned 3.2km swim but it never happened, annoyed as i mentioned previously i need swim consistency to bring it to the next level!!

Core
    Quick 35min session before heading out on a "date night" with Michelle:)

Saturday
    4hr Long Bike
    Was unsure how i would feel after waking up crappy on Friday but felt good enough to head out early. Took the first hour easy and then into 2x30mins @ 225w followed by 2x30mins when i reduced it to 205w as the legs were feeling it a little. Worked it today and was happy with the effort, hr/power ratio much better than previous rides. FTP test on Tuesday will be interesting
    3:57,116.2kms,AP196W/NP201W,tss227,2726kj

3.2km swim set
    Friday missed session done late this evening, i felt the pinch on the back end of this but was happy overall. Main set was 10x50p as 25f/25sw all coming in 52 to 55secs, 4x200s steady on 3:47,41,46, 50 (last one i forgot to hit lap) i then had 4x100 fast but these fell apart a little 1:47,50??,52,54. There was also 2 sets of 4x50 kick ouchy:o
    3.2kms,1:16,1.53 per/100 moving time,swolf 41,26 lengths per 100

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Faster in Michelle's high heels?? You tossed out the image of 4 ft. 9 inch you wearing Michelle's spike high heels while rolling around in running in mud and muck and not a single smart remark from the peanut gallery. I'm sorely disappointed.

• Advertisement

Sunday
    2hr turbo
    This was planned for early morning but kids had other plans and we had a christening up North. Resulted in jumping on at 7.30pm after i got the kids to bed:o Session called for 30mins and then get stuck in to 1.5hr tempo, not a solid 1.5hr rather a fartlek type session throwing in some 5,10,15min efforts. I threw in a few 10min efforts at 240w, 5min efforts at 260w and finished off with a 5min effort at 270w. In total about 45/50mins of actual tempo work and it felt tough but manageable.
    2hrs,68.1kms,AP215W/NP222W,TSS145,1548KJ

Weekly RU
    Overall a positive and solid week, breakthrough session on swim from Wednesday and solid biking put down, starting to feel strong again on the bike. Run was light enough for the week, so much so Michelle done more running than me. I am most happiest about getting the 15.5hrs training without impacting on home life. I won't lie its a juggling session at times with Michelle back working p/time and her own training but we make it work. Highlight of the week is not a training session but the 5hrs spent on Saturday playing cook in the play kitchen, afternoon tea, supermarkets, make up studio, wrestling, dad is a horsey lets jump on him and art class (budding Picassos). All good fun with the kids:)
    05th Nov - 11th Nov|# sessions|Time hh:mm|Distance kms
    Total|12|15:27|302.45kms
    Swimming|3|3:02|7.7kms
    Cycling|4|8:09|259.28kms
    Running|3|2.46|35.47kms
    S&C|2|1:30|N/A

So FTP testing tomorrow, guesses on a post card. Closest wins a prize.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Highlight of the week is not a training session but the 5hrs spent on Saturday playing cook in the play kitchen, afternoon tea, supermarkets, make up studio, wrestling, dad is a horsey lets jump on him and art class (budding Picassos). All good fun with the kids:)

Lucky kids, in my more youthful days we'd get ''no horseplay in the house'' roared at us when we played with each other. The old man wouldn't have done any of that in a million years. Lucky kids, then again, you're as small as them so it's easier for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

What was your FTP history?

254 starting out
    298 then when?
    275 - last FTP test?

So you got worse - after break I presume?

I'd be shooting for 293w if the above is right.

Think I've got a test coming up myself this week hopefully.
    First week back though. Hope not much lost in 2 weeks of nothing.

Fazz wrote: »
    What was your FTP history?

254 starting out
    298 then when?
    275 - last FTP test?

So you got worse - after break I presume?

I'd be shooting for 293w if the above is right.

Think I've got a test coming up myself this week hopefully.
    First week back though. Hope not much lost in 2 weeks of nothing.

From memory, 254w back in Oct11, 284w in Jan12, 298w in May12 and i have not tested since. The 275w is only a guesstimate and reference for current training zones. I was off the bike for about 4 weeks after Roth and have struggled since until recently.
    293w love your optimism:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I'm guessing 282 Fran. Embrace the pain!!! And stock up on some bananas to throw at that monkey :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

345 watts T5
    289 watts T20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

331 watts T5
    293 Watts T20

Suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

286.7 (to be exact)

Monday
    Easy Run
    Just an easy 30min run at lunchtime
    30min,6.49km,4.39m/km pace

Club Swim
    A few drills and some 25,50,100 pyramids. I noticed and coach does to that my form goes to sh1t when i force the pace instead of keeping things relaxed and a strong stroke. I was fading a bit towards the end of the pyramids and body position was becoming a bit ragid. Times a good bit of last weeks swims.
    45min,1.8km,swolf42

Tuesday
    FTP Bike Test
    I was nervous about this all day, i always am on test days. Could be something to do with always wanting to lay down the best benchmark i can and get the pacing right. Pacing in these tests is critical, you shoot your load early in the t20 and its game over.
    Into the 5min effort and kicked it off at 300w slowly rising it to 320w & 330w i was feeling the bite big time with a minute to go but dropped the hammer to rise it up to 400w and hit my highest ever hr on the bike at 185. 5min effort came out at 332w overall.
    I needed every one of the 10mins easy in between to recover. Text Tunney in between and told him i was going to piss all over his 270w posted earlier last week:) i was in the zone and i knew it and was ready to suffer in the t20.
    Into the 20min and set off at 270w, started lifting the effort after a few minutes to 280w and slowly built it up. First 10mins i was averaging 281w and thought sh1t this is gonna be short of Tunneys, cannot have him calling me a little princess:). Lifted it again, starting to feel the pinch at 13mins, 16mins and i was well and truly firing bananas at the monkey in the pain cave. With 90secs to go i somehow found another gear and drove it out lifting by 4 or 5w on the avg driving it on to 370w for a finish. Finished and wasted at the end for a 293w effort and 302w for the 2nd half of the T20.
    So FTP of 278w, gives me a power to weight ratio of 4.08kgs. It may be 20w off my last test in May pre Roth but its 24w ahead of last years test at the same time which goes to show how you build year on year.
    Who is the princess now Tunney eh;)
    Stats & ride file below
    http://www.trainingpeaks.com/av/RBBCSSO3BJXGEL3Y4K5RKFN4BQ

Both my eldest lads birthdays today, needless to say i am feeling a little old!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Still think the watts/cm is the better comparison for you pair ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Still think the watts/cm is the better comparison for you pair ;)

CM height or CM width??

BTH wrote: »
    CM height or CM width??

Height, width, emmmm length.

Any which way his watts/cm is way higher. Absolute FTP pretty much the same though

BTH wrote: »
    CM height or CM width??

Wouldnt think a mod would get away with trolling ?

*I know a paddlin for backseat modding.

I thought it was part of the charter than myself and JB could be abused endlessly without consequences?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I thought I banned you......:confused:

So Abu Dhabi is booked, looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭El Director

Saaweet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Nice one!!! Looking forward to the report already.

Do you know if there are many Irish racing this year?

If I can give you one bit of advice.

Don't do anything silly in the weeks before the race, wrap yourself in cotton wool....

*the best advice I never listened to

• Advertisement

pgibbo wrote: »
    Nice one!!! Looking forward to the report already.

Do you know if there are many Irish racing this year?

Not sure which Irish are racing yet.
    If I can give you one bit of advice.

Don't do anything silly in the weeks before the race, wrap yourself in cotton wool....

*the best advice I never listened to

We live and learn!!

Advertisement