Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

catweazle wrote: »
    Remember this is only year 2 I think of a 5 year plan to get to Kona - you have made huge strides forward - you'll get there yet but you need to start enjoying the journey again.

I think Fran has learnt that it is a multi annual thing and rushing and pressing to achieve what takes most years in a year or two can strip the love from anything. He'll get there.

I'd liken it to trying for a baby when things aren't happening quickly. Everyone loves sex but when its pressurised I'm told people get sick of it quickly and don't enjoy it as much.
    (Not from personal experience)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

^^^ What catweazle said.

We are in a fishbowl here - allowing everyone privy to our deepest, darkest training desires and race goals...and the vulnerability that comes with that is dynamic and complicated, and it has the potential to either lift us up or bring us crashing to the ground. However, with this fishbowl comes a passel of people who have been in similar spots and who help to remind one another to keep things in proper perspective. This will not be your worst day, JB, it just wasn't your best. Honestly, we'd all be over the moon if you had smashed all your goals and performed up to your peak... but that would have been the picture perfect ending, wouldn't it? Lovely-jubbly...easy peasy....and such. But instead, you had a nice swim, struggled with your legs on the bike, felt sorry for yourself and decided to quit in T2. End of story? Not hardly. Instead of throwing in the towel, you got up off your arse and finished the race, something that shows huge character and great courage....and that, JB, is impressive in and of itself, and impressive for a totally different set of reasons had you breezed through the race. I tip my hat to you, sir, for the passion you have and the reach you strive for.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
    ~Martin Luther King, Jr.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Fair play for putting up a report and keep the head up..... you will get the rewards you deserve soon!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I cannot say it better than Dory did. We can't always win, but by jesus you didn't give in. There are positives in that race, we see them even if you can't right now.

When your head clears, read back through this log (after all that's what it's for). See how many times lately you mention the word tired. I think its very very relevant to where you are right now, and how you got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭MayoRoadRunner

Fran, don't regularly post on Boards but I lurk longer than I would care to admit!
    I've been following your posts for several months and believe me they have got me out of bed on many of mornings for early swims and runs! Your work ethic is incredible and I often wince how you have the mental stamina for those 4 hour turbos!
    We're at a similar enough level and I guess, further to Catweazles comment above, you have been my nemesis for the last number of months. I was also signed up for IM Frankfurt this year and was aiming for 9.40 - 9.45 with a shot at Kona qualification lined up in 2014. Training was going well since November and on track until three weeks ago when either virus/adrenal fatigue/burnout hit me for six. With no training done since and no sign of recovery I have ruled out Frankfurt but may transfer to IM Wales depending on recovery and motivation. Maybe something you could do and just race Wales as an end of season blow out with no expectation of time or placing.
    Think the advice above is good about signing up for a few local races this summer, finding your own nemesis and training by feel rather than been a slave to the power meter. Forget about TSS, CTL and all that fluff on TP for a few months.
    Get the hunger and enjoyment back and then decide on next step. This is a minor set back along a long road. Important to remember that you were obviously ill during the race and the performance is in no way reflective of your ability.
    Take all the time you need to get the love back for the sport then take another month and only then start back into regimented training. You will be twice the athlete at your next attempt after experiences like last weekend.
    Only keep up the blog if you feel like it (although I would encourage it for my own selfish motivations!! :D)
    p.s if you looking for an alternative to the traditional big volume IM approach have a read of this guys blog - http://www.samiinkinen.com/post/11347268687/hawaii-ironman-secrets
    Keep the head up Fran! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

That's a tough read Fran and fair play for putting it out there.

If it helps, I have took a break from logging my training and I find it helps as I only have to post something when I feel like it and say nothing when things are going bad.... Also I have done much less volume this year but seem to be going better than last year at the moment. Just some food for thought I think your plan to chill out and enjoy your training is a good one. Maybe just do some short distance TRIs and some running for a while until you get the love back? You could always keep the log open but only come back to post when you feel like it (after a good race ;)) so there is no additional pressure....

Fran, don't regularly post on Boards but I lurk longer than I would care to admit!
    I've been following your posts for several months and believe me they have got me out of bed on many of mornings for early swims and runs! Your work ethic is incredible and I often wince how you have the mental stamina for those 4 hour turbos!
    We're at a similar enough level and I guess, further to Catweazles comment above, you have been my nemesis for the last number of months. I was also signed up for IM Frankfurt this year and was aiming for 9.40 - 9.45 with a shot at Kona qualification lined up in 2014. Training was going well since November and on track until three weeks ago when either virus/adrenal fatigue/burnout hit me for six. With no training done since and no sign of recovery I have ruled out Frankfurt but may transfer to IM Wales depending on recovery and motivation. Maybe something you could do and just race Wales as an end of season blow out with no expectation of time or placing.
    Think the advice above is good about signing up for a few local races this summer, finding your own nemesis and training by feel rather than been a slave to the power meter. Forget about TSS, CTL and all that fluff on TP for a few months.
    Get the hunger and enjoyment back and then decide on next step. This is a minor set back along a long road. Important to remember that you were obviously ill during the race and the performance is in no way reflective of your ability.
    Take all the time you need to get the love back for the sport then take another month and only then start back into regimented training. You will be twice the athlete at your next attempt after experiences like last weekend.
    Only keep up the blog if you feel like it (although I would encourage it for my own selfish motivations!! :D):D
    p.s if you looking for an alternative to the traditional big volume IM approach have a read of this guys blog - http://www.samiinkinen.com/post/11347268687/hawaii-ironman-secrets
    Keep the head up Fran! :)

Excellent article and really worth a read... kinda sums up my training... perhaps I can do sub 9hr in kona soon
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Hell of a farmers tan you are sporting these days Fran ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭El Director

Finally getting to read your report JB although to tell you the truth I put it off a bit as I knew it would be painful...nothing compared to what you went went through though. I am not going to add much to what already has been said, I just hope that you find your way again. I am glad to hear that you are tepping back and re-assessing the approach and you are leaving everything open for consideration. I hope you take the pressure off yourself especially any time pressures. Kona will happen some day if you stick at it. There is no rush. Don't put any time frame on it because that way you might just forget to enjoy the adventure. Anyway, I for one look forward to following you and someday reading here that you have made your dream come true.

PS it took Rob Cummins 13/14 years afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Sorry father its been a month since my last confession:) Well its been an interesting few weeks since Abu Dhabi, a few weeks of switching off and reflecting and getting back into some form of training. Its unlucky that i have disclocated my shoulder and torn muscles at the start of this week after a week of getting back into it but whilst i was very upset and self pitying myself i thought hell what the heck i have been through enough and i will remain positive as i have been through a good bit and i will come out stronger from it.

By no means a full ressurection of the log as i will not go back into daily detail but i do miss keeping some form of update on here. As far as this season goes well i think it will be a case of doing what i can when i can return to proper training. Expectations and attitude have been readjused.

• Advertisement

Up at 3.03am? Going to bed or getting up to train? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Expectations and attitude have been readjused.

With whats gone on over the last while, between work, the trip away and now the sort of injury noone needs I just wanted to say 'well done'. Its the incorrect medium for it but I mean in sincerely. You'll belittle it all, based on the type of character you are but after all the trials - you're still on here, publically describing (with comical flare at times) how things have been going. Dialling things down a notch to allow the injury to recover (and everything else) can only be a good thing.
    Mind how you go when and if you stick on the wetsuit for an open water swim - after a shoulder injury like that. I've no doubt you'll listen to the medical advice given regarding rebuilding strength in it - the only reason I say it is shoulders can re-dislocate (if thats a word) whilst in the water. Not ideal.

Mind how you go champ

mloc123 wrote: »
    Up at 3.03am? Going to bed or getting up to train? :D
    Up doing one arm press ups of course :)

I somehow managed 5hr 45 and 190k on the turbo last week. Don't ask me how. 2hrs on Saturday and 3hrs on Sunday which was more enjoyable with Paris-Roubaix on.....a real mans race!! Spartacus is some man and an epic finish, track standing after 250km of hard riding:eek:

More of the same this week doing 1 arm turbos but likely to keep sessions much shorter and fit them in when i can. It will be a fun few days as Michelle is away for a week, one armed Dad with 4 kids...what could go wrong?

My TSB and ATL have never looked as healthy (not in a good way). A lack of training will do that but hey its still early in the season. Shoulder is recovering well and thankfully off the painkillers as they were wrecking my stomach. The aim is to start getting some limited and controlled movement back into the shoulder by the end of the week and take things from there. Itching to get back out there but need to be patient with this injury.

I somehow managed 5hr 45 and 190k on the turbo last week. Don't ask me how. 2hrs on Saturday and 3hrs on Sunday which was more enjoyable with Paris-Roubaix on.....a real mans race!! Spartacus is some man and an epic finish, track standing after 250km of hard riding:eek:

More of the same this week doing 1 arm turbos but likely to keep sessions much shorter and fit them in when i can. It will be a fun few days as Michelle is away for a week, one armed Dad with 4 kids...what could go wrong?

My TSB and ATL have never looked as healthy (not in a good way). A lack of training will do that but hey its still early in the season. Shoulder is recovering well and thankfully off the painkillers as they were wrecking my stomach. The aim is to start getting some limited and controlled movement back into the shoulder by the end of the week and take things from there. Itching to get back out there but need to be patient with this injury.

How did you injure the shoulder? Was is properly dislocated?

mloc123 wrote: »
    How did you injure the shoulder? Was is properly dislocated?

$64,000 question right there, i am not sure what caused it. It was subluxation of the shoulder, essentially the same as dislocation. I had two forcing it back into place whilst i was screaming inside my head, very painful experience. I was back in with MWT this morning and looks as if i got away lightly with just a tear on the capsule

edit to add: I figured i had disclocated it as there was a large drop from shoulder to shoulder and tried to attempt putting it back in myself rather unsuccessfully.

$64,000 question right there, i am not sure what caused it. It was subluxation of the shoulder, essentially the same as dislocation. I had two forcing it back into place whilst i was screaming inside my head, very painful experience. I was back in with MWT this morning and looks as if i got away lightly with just a tear on the capsule

edit to add: I figured i had disclocated it as there was a large drop from shoulder to shoulder and tried to attempt putting it back in myself rather unsuccessfully.

If so...you are some animal with a savage high pain threshold...I dislocated my shoulder badly a few years ago, have also broken bones in the past but the shoulder dislocation was the worst pain i have ever felt in my life..nearly passed out the pain was so severe..they had to put me out to pop it back into place..and i'm no blouse.. (I hope :confused:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

$64,000 question right there, i am not sure what caused it. It was subluxation of the shoulder, essentially the same as dislocation. I had two forcing it back into place whilst i was screaming inside my head, very painful experience. .
    I can confirm that. Have had to pop my eighth shoulder in a few times over the tears and it ain't pleasant. Normally just raising my arm a rolling the shoulder but boy does it hurt. None of this banging it off a wall like her man in die hard :rolleyes:

Fair play getting the turbo done ! Chrissie Wellington type behaviour!

This week has been more of the same so far with turbo, turbo and some more turbo. So far 6 turbos and around 5hrs, hopeful of getting 2 turbos in the weekend but with Michelle in LV it depends on when the kids decide to wake up, could be a 20min turbo or 2hrs:P. This week i even managed 3 sessions with some work around threshold, some steady and some 120% efforts (340w). Shoulder is coming on very well, sling off since yesterday and a good bit of movement although still not comfortable raising the arm over shoulder height.
    Whilst cycling is fine at the moment running will have some small testers next week to see if it causes any problems. Swimming will be the last to be introduced as i have a load of exercises to do beforehand, the muscle loss on the right shoulder is unreal in just two weeks. I think having a good level of fitness does really help with recovery and the fact i was sensible in keeping it immobilised for the week and a half.
    I had targeted a local bike race next week, one in which i would be confident of getting points in as i want to get out of A4 as soon as possible. I will make a call on this next week and i will not race unless 100% happy with the shoulder.
    I am enjoying the new relaxed me, no pressure and doing what i can when i can.

Some really solid work on the turbo the last while with around 10hrs last week and i feel like there is an improvement. Sessions that used to hurt around and above threshold don't hurt as much lately so certainly improvement there should i test again. A lot of this is probably down to having one area to focus on and no fatigue from running and swimming.
    Shoulder is feeling good and i am back running this week with a short tester on Monday and i will be out again at lunchtime today. Hopeful to get back to gentle short swim sessions next week although i will chat to coach about that.
    I plan on a return to racing this weekend with the Peter Bidwell on Saturday and Coombes Conor race on Sunday, both on my doorstep.
    I know both courses very well and i will be aiming to get some points on the board unlike last time round in this race when i dropped my chain after 3k and for the life of me could not chase back on to the pack!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Good to hear you're on the mend Fran.

Keep your wits about you at the weekend. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

indeed nice to see you are on the mend. enjoy the Coombes Conor, Its a while since I rode that race but did like it, and remember dont go near the small ring, its an easy cct big ring all the way :).

BennyMul wrote: »
    indeed nice to see you are on the mend. enjoy the Coombes Conor, Its a while since I rode that race but did like it, and remember dont go near the small ring, its an easy cct big ring all the way :).

Yeah its a great loop, in fact its my training loop when doing tt efforts/IM specific work etc.
    Agreed its pretty much all big ring apart from the short sharp hill at the end of each loop. Some fast sections along the Duleek to Julianstown road (depending on wind)

Peter Bidwell A4 race
    Short spin up with LCD to race sign up and down to the start. A4s off first with a handicap on A3 and then the A1s/A2s going off at the same time. It was 8 laps around Donore on tight country roads with a few short/sharp bumps to keep things interesting. Plan was to sit in at the back and just keep an eye on things for the first few laps. Pace was handy and i felt nice and relaxed sitting in.
    I noticed i was climbing well and on the two sharp inclines i was finding myself moving up the front but allowing myself drift to the back once over. As we started what i think was the 3rd or 4th lap there was a crash right in front of me at the start/finish area. Dodged that but had lost contact with the pack along with a few others. TT'd back on for a minute or so burning a few matches along the way at 420w, settled back in but i knew i needed to be up at the front of the action although it was difficult to do so as very little road to work with. The A1s/A2s had joined us at this stage and this lifted the pace and more congestion. It sort of fvked up the dynamic in our own race. There was another slip in front turning on to another drag (i think lap 5 or 6?) dodged again although there was no chance of getting back on this time with the A1s/A2s driving a hard pace up front. Rolled in with a smaller bunch and decided to save the legs for tomorrow instead.
    Lessons learnt, i need to be staying up in the front third of the pack rather than dossing at the back although i think an element of that was down to me not wanting to crash and watching everything in front of me:) It was an enjoyable blow out and i had me some fun racing.
    Hopeful for a better result tomorrow in Coombes.
    AP 205w/NP 246w, 781w max

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056932134

I have a set of zipp404 tubular wheels for sale if anyone is interested.

Conor Coombes A4 race - Sunday morning
    Not an ideal start time stuck in the middle of the day!! Headed down to sign on at 12:30 for a 1pm start. The course is my local training loop, 14kms long and the A4s would be doing 5 circuits covering 70km. After the previous nights racing the plan was to be more aggressive and keep myself placed up near the front. Off we set and i was straight up to the front dozen or so, uneventful for the first few kms until we headed back towards the end of lap 1. I had noticed a break of about 4 or 5 up front who had been allowed go out to about 20 seconds. Boom dropped the hammer off the front for about a minute and gave chase to get on to the back of the group driving the pace at around 55kmph and pushing out 410w. What i had not realised until the gap was near closed is that a fellow Cuchailann rider was in the break so completely backed off and got told off by another rider from the club (oops) Sat back in towards the back of the group to get a bit of recovery from my antics and the break was brought back into the main pack shortly after.
    As i sat at the back i noticed a few being tailed off as we set off around lap 2. As we headed back up towards Duleek the rain came down heavy, a few minutes later and that dreaded noise as one lad hit the deck heavy (it looked like a bad one) I avoided it as i was going up the outside and to the front again but literally 500mtrs up the road my race was over and had to pull over as i had a front tub puncture. Those are the breaks, it's a pity as i was feeling very good. With bike races cheap and plentiful when a race does not go to plan its not the end of the world. A3 will have to wait a while longer for now as i need to get back into a routine of training now the shoulder is almost there.
    22.4kms,37kmph,AP 188w/NP 239w, 793w max

A training update of sorts.
    This week was a decent run/bike week with 16hrs clocked with 68kms of running and 320kms on the bike. 9hrs of that was mostly over the weekend as i had 3hrs on the bike on Saturday with 3x30mins efforts around 240w. I found this tiring enough on the legs, it should have felt easier. The last hour into a fierce headwind wass fun, the wind the last 2/3 weeks has been pretty nuts!!
    Today was a 5hr bike and 40min run off as i had planned to hook up with Tango for his long bike getting ready for Lanza in 3 weeks and Tunney also joined us for about 3hrs. The company was welcome to break up the session. One thing i noticed straight away is Tango is a lot better than the last time i was out with him on the bike. A big improvement and he should go well over in Lanza.
    I stupidly tried to get back swimming on Monday evening but after 100mtrs i jumped out as the noise of bone on bone grinding was off putting:o. The shoulder does not like swimming right now, in fairness i did not get "sign off" from MWT nor did i get to him last week for rehab like i should have done as work is slightly nuts.
    Its really frustrating as its not as if i am a talented swimmer and as each week goes by i can feel any gains slip away. No swimming next week either and back in for some work on the shoulder.
    In for the Boyne 10k next weekend although the way i am running a sub 40 would be hard enough right now. I would imagine 3 weeks of consistent running with decent miles in the legs should help as it tends to come back to me quick enough.
    Really unsure how the rest of the season is shaping up although i aim to be targeting the tri limits HIM in Dungannon in June. That is provided i can get back swimming soon as i am not registering for races unless i know i am 100%. Given i am already in for Rosses Point it should be interesting to see if i can make it out of the swim by swimming with one arm:rolleyes:

A quick browse this morning looking at volumes YTD compared to last year. Whilst in the past i would put a lot of focus on volume it has become much less important to me but i do like to continue keeping track of it.
    2013/2012
    Swim - 89,605mtrs - 137,170mtrs - 34% down on last year
    Bike - 4,060kms - 2,855kms - 29% up on last year
    Run - 762kms - 908kms - 16% down on last year
    Weekly averages - 5.3km/239kms/44.8kms
    As expected swim volume way down along with run volume also poor with the shoulder injury, at least plenty of bike work:) To me the weekly volume is low but to a *normal* person it would still be considered slightly nutty.

Last week was a poor training week were i could not hit the harder sessions on the turbo but did manage to scrape through a set of 6x700s at 5k effort/17.5kmph on the dreadmill but it hurt a lot:o. I really need to learn to hurt and embrace the pain cave again as i think i have gotten a bit soft of late. At least that session was a step in the right direction.
    I ran the Boyne 10k race on Sunday but did not race it, its a pity as it was a race i was due to target. Run legs are not there so treated it as a marathon paced run in 42mins. I got back into the pool and glad to say i managed 1.6k set on Friday and the shoulder held up, hopefully i can get some consistent swimming in for the next few weeks.
    Total of 11.5hrs for the week, 1.6k swim, 214kms bike and 51km on the run. My legs are pretty tired from all the recent bike & run work so glad to see a recovery week this week.
    Contemplating giving that sub 3hr a bash in DCM later in the year. Going to hold of registering until i see how the running is going in a few months time.

• Advertisement

If anyone is interested in doing Roses Point drop me a PM

Advertisement