Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

BTH wrote: »
    Tom Cruise to play you in the movie once Hollywood get hold of the thread. You couldn't write it. :D

No-one can run like Tom does - not even Jackyback!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Ah that's fairly **** JB.

I wouldn't rule out a fast DCM in Oct. Plenty of time and you're a few weeks to spare anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Ah that's fairly **** JB.

I wouldn't rule out a fast DCM in Oct. Plenty of time and you're a few weeks to spare anyway.

Nah DCM is for sure ruled out. Realistically i will not be able to run/train properly at least until the 2nd week in August which would only leave me with 8/9 weeks prior to taper. Thats not enough for me considering i will not have trained/ran for 4/5 weeks when i start the training.
    Besides i can't be arsed now

It has been a miserable few days since I got home, even the fine weather has not been able to snap me out of it and lift my spirits. Walking is leaving me breathless, coughing or sneezing is like being stabbed in the hearty multiple times and getting any sort of decent sleep is not possible. Broken ribs are a nuisance I can tell you.

Going to take a few weeks to recover (physically) from this latest setback and probably even longer mentally:o. I have put all thoughts of ever racing long again out of my head as I am just annoying myself the more I think about what happened to me at the weekend.

When I hopefully get back to some form of training the advice I have got from 2 friends who are in the sport much longer and whose opinions I respect have both said I need to go and do some short & fast stuff. I sort of skipped that part when I started off my racing!!
    So the hopeful focus for the rest of year will be some pb chasing on 5k,10k races and possibly up to half depending how my running goes. In terms of tri I will try aim to do Blacksod to finish of my season (not that it ever really started). Will that be enough to keep me "interested" and "in the sport", well truly i don't know but we will see what happens. For now its just try mend myself and head off to our place for a holiday in 2 weeks, hopefully i can do a bit of swimming by then.

That will be that so, another frustrating season of nothing being accomplished race or goal wise. Unlikely to need this log for some time so I will let it gather some cobwebs in the hope it might be resurrected at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭c07

JB, I'm only reading the IM update now and am shocked at what happened. Jesus, I'm not surprised you're gutted.. Even more so that it was down to a complete kn*b-end!
    You are probably feeling more crap than usual cos you're also in pain. Hopefully, when that pain subsides and you can get back into some form of training, the black cloud will lift and you'll find the motivation again.
    Everyone is willing you on. And even though I'm late to the scene and don't know your background, I want to see the fairy tale ending (lad-style, of course!!)...
    It will happen :)

• Advertisement

Time to dust this old thing off as it's been 6 months since I last updated.

Update to follow.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Time to dust this old thing off as it's been 6 months since I last updated.

Update to follow.

Glad to hear it. Good to see you back

Well i thought i was done for good logging on here but a very inconsistent last 6 months of training along with lacking any sort of drive & motivation i am hoping this might help kickstart things again.

I have gone from one extreme to training my a$$ off, being disciplined and focussed for about 2.5 years to the complete opposite since FF in July of last year. I guess a lot of that could have been down to just switching off completely after FF and never fully switching back on. Neither option is possible or good for me long term so i need to find a middle ground between the two and one thats finely balanced with everything else i have going on outside of Tri.

I am in very poor shape for this time of year and have piled on the weight. I need to get my a$$ in gear or else the year will pass me by. For a change focus has switched for the year due to timing and work commitments. Instead of IM being the A goal for the year i have an earlier A goal in London Marathon on the 13th April. No times or pressures just want to be happy with whatever time i can achieve given free time available.

This will likely look more like a runners log for the next 3 months rather than a tri log. If a session is to be missed or dropped due to outside commitments it will likely be a swim or bike. For once i want to give a marathon a good bash so running needs to be the focus over the next 100 days. When i previously ran a pb (3:05 in Barca) i was still doing IM prep work and i do think that impacts overall on run improvements. In order to run a fast marathon i think it needs total focus.

I have IMFF penciled in for July but timing of a work project will mean it will not be getting the same attention, time or preparation it has done in previous years. I suppose the purpose of that race is to actually finish a frickin German branded IM distance race without incident:rolleyes:

I will give this log a go for a month and re evaluate after then, main focuses for the month is to lose 3kg and increase run frequency/volume, taking each day as it comes.

Time for a clean slate,

Day 1 of 2014
    AM - 70min capped hr treadmill run
    Kept this at the lower end of easy, focussing on form. 14.6kms

PM-37min capped hr run
    Cold enough outside, double run day. Again focussing on form and legs felt good. 5X20secs on/off thrown in. 7.5kms

35min HIIT session followed by rolling
    Done after tonights easy run. A number of upper body & core exercises thrown in. Need to get rid of this spare tyre i have developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Good to have the Hobbit back :D

• Advertisement

Good to have the Hobbit back :D

Little fat Hobbit you mean!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Best of luck with the log. You should really move your log back to the home of running/jogging ;) on the A/R forum.

Do you have a plan, are you being coached, self coached, all/none of the above? 100 days to go which is a very long time. More than enough time to get into peak fitness or fcuk it all up and over do it!

Did you decide if you were sticking around London on the Sunday night or will you be flying home straight away?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Little fat Hobbit you mean!

I'd chuckle and laugh about "lets see you out climb me now" but..............

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭El Director

Good to see you back JB and the very best of luck in 2014 :cool:

TRR wrote: »
    Best of luck with the log. You should really move your log back to the home of running/jogging ;) on the A/R forum.

Do you have a plan, are you being coached, self coached, all/none of the above? 100 days to go which is a very long time. More than enough time to get into peak fitness or fcuk it all up and over do it!

Did you decide if you were sticking around London on the Sunday night or will you be flying home straight away?

I could never move my log across to the dark side:)
    The plan is to run Forrest run. Back to being coached but he will likely admit I am the far superior coach so I do have an input into training. Back to my earlier comment that I am leaning more towards a complete run focus and neglecting the bike as a result. Luckily enough we share a similar approach to how a running week should look building up to a marathon.
    1 interval session each week - range of distances & efforts
    1 tempo based run - building up the pace & distance over time (hr monitored closely on tempo work)
    1 long progression run - starting off easy and working down to MP and beyond to HM or 10k pace. You really see the improvements from these type of runs
    The rest of the week is made up of easy & recovery runs with likely double days thrown in to build up frequency & volume. In my own mind and from others I have worked with I will likely peak around 140-150k run weeks. Sounds like a lot but with bike work stripped back it allows it.

I am paying close attention to hr on the key sessions. I know I can sustain an AHR of 163-167 over the marathon distance. The issue I have right now is MP AHR is higher at present and feels tough. I am hoping after a few more weeks of improved fitness, reduced weight and improved run efficiency that it will start to feel a little more comfortable.

Might stay the extra night in London, which reminds me I must book flights.
    tunney wrote: »
    I'd chuckle and laugh about "lets see you out climb me now" but..............

Still have height to watts ratio in my favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

The plan is to run Forrest run....

And swim :confused: Forrest couldn't swim :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

Yes he could, remember when his Momma was sick and he jumped off his shrimping boat and swam to her side.

A 150km running week is only 12hrs so loads of time for swimming :D

Yes I will still have to swim!

2nd Jan
    Interval run session
    With a gale blowing outside I figured it would be a nightmare trying to hold pace for these so opted for the treddie instead. Plan asked for 6x1.5k @ 3:50 pace with 500 recoveries which I converted to 5:30mins with 2min jog recovery, intervals done at 16kmph (3:45km pace). No doubting these were tough and felt somewhere between 5 & 10k effort. AHR for each between 171-175 which would reflect it, no 3 & 4 always seem the toughest in a set of 6!!
    Need to get the body used to running in the mid 170s again and look to get the pace down towards 3:20 on interval sessions, in time!
    63mins, 15.2kms, 4:09 pace.

2.5k swim
    Pulled this forward by a day as decided to extend Xmas break from work so had the time. Main set consisted of 12x100s. Felt like a brick in the water and 100s ranged from 1:52 to 2:01.

3rd Jan
    45min progressive turbo
    Likely not to see many of these from next week onwards and it's just as well as I was going through the motions on the turbo. Started off easy finishing up at threshold which I struggled to hold.

40min capped hr run
    Kept this very easy (not a brick run) once again on treddie with hr capped at 145. Just a shade under 5min ks, 8.2kms.

Will do a half hour of stretches & rolling later, out tonight for dinner but staying off the booze & desserts as its time to get weight back under control. Tough long progressive run planned for tomorrow which I know will be testing & hurt towards the end.

4th Jan
    Easy Run
    I was due to do a long progressive run on Saturday but i knew 6/7k in it was not going to happen so turned for home. A combination of a sleepless night and me getting diet/food intake wrong for the week (now corrected)
    66mins,13.7kms,4.52km

5th Jan
    Long Progressive Run
    I was due to go out on the bike for 3hrs but i was not bothered, the fact i wanted to get the long run done won over. Conditions terrible in wind & rain. I had some easy running building into an hour of work, split as 30/15/15 ramping up the pace.
    I was working hard on the first 30 and i was not able for the 2 15min segments so ran home easy. Legs are willing but the engine is not just yet. I am probably about a block of training away from pulling off a similar session. I will speak to coach and look at changing slightly in the interim.
    90mins,19.3kms,4.38km

Weekly totals
    Swim:2.5k
    Bike:55k
    Run:91.8k
    Just over 11hrs with nearly 8hrs of that running. Enjoying my running which is the main thing. Diet was very clean but i went overboard in the first week and cut to deep, a 2.5kg weight loss is not sensible especially when some of that is muscle!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Welcome back Fran & good luck for 2014 :cool:

Monday 6th Jan
    Easy day
    Recovery Run - A shade over 37mins kept at recovery pace, 7kms,5.23km pace
    I was due for a swim but missed my lunchtime window, will reschedule later into the week.

Tuesday 7th Jan
    Interval Run Session
    Switched around tempo and intervals as i had use of the track tonight. Same session as last week with an extra rep, 7x1500. These felt more manageable even though i was pushing harder with the wind at times, at one stage hr topped out at 187 which is just off my max. Reps all came in between 3:46/50km pace for an AHR of 171 through 176 on each rep. 71mins,15.9kms,4.29km pace
    15min stretch & foam roll

Wednesday 8th Jan
    Double run day
    AM - 66mins, 12.9kms,5.09 pace. Took half of this pre work run to wake up as a little stiff from last nights late intervals. Kept low end of easy.
    PM - 30min with 5x30sec builds, 6.3kms,4.43km pace. Moving well & form felt good on this 2nd run, had to hold back.

1hr recovery turbo
    Kept at 150w just spinning out the legs on the turbo

I am always conscious of weight, particularly so when leading up to a key race. Even more so when that race is a pure running one, a marathon. The difference carrying a few extra kgs makes for running makes a huge difference especially to run form over ant distance.
    Glad to see i am getting weight under control and it going in the right direction, still working on getting taller though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭joey100

What's the lightest you have raced at jackyback?? how do you know if you have gone too light?

Only asking because we are in around the same height and your target weight isn't far off my weight.

joey100 wrote: »
    What's the lightest you have raced at jackyback?? how do you know if you have gone too light?

Only asking because we are in around the same height and your target weight isn't far off my weight.

I think the lightest i have been was around 65-66kg heading into Roth but i reckon there was a bit more to come off, i always seem to retain some around the gut.
    If i do a wiggle test and nothing wiggles or people say i look as if i am dying its normally signs i am getting close enough to race weight. When i struggle with BG work on the bike would also be an indicator or an unexplained drop off in power.

Thursday 9th Jan
    2k swim
    Mostly drill work with some 200s thrown in. Another brick like swim:)

Tempo run - 61mins, 13.75kms, 4.26km pace.
    35mins/8.6km of tempo effort came in at 4.04km pace, last 20mins of tempo below 4min ks. AHR was 169 for the tempo work. Mid to high 160s starting to feel more comfortable than it did a while back although hoping to see a lower HR for a faster pace over the coming weeks.

Core work - 60mins
    I had not eaten before the tempo run and this session was straight after with the run club. Core, upper body & circuits, tough session. Left shaking with the hunger by the end of it, need something to drink and munch on next week. I slept well that night:)

Friday 10th Jan
    Easy Day
    30 min easy run
    Done on treddie and hr capped at 145. 6.1kms & 4.55km pace

15min stretch and roll out the legs

Saturday 11th Jan
    Long Progression Run - 1:57, 25.5kms, 4.35km pace
    35mins easy progressing into 30/15/15 pacier bits with easy warm down. Similar to last week but with revised paces until i have another 2 weeks under the belt. Felt awkward and form was terrible starting off but as soon as i hit the first 30mins it felt like i was running properly. Nice and comfortable effort and i was gliding along at 4.28km pace for a hr a few beats below MP effort. Into the first of 15mins and whilst i was pushing a little harder it still felt good at MP HR at 4.13km pace. Final 15mins was stopped around 5mins in (4min ks) with a stomach cramp and my big toe cramped which took me a while to ease out, WTF :confused: .
    Jogged home after it but legs were really feeling good, some small improvements noticed from last weeks long run. 1 or 2 areas i am weak on which i will discuss with coach.

15min stretch and roll out the legs this evening, now being followed by an Erdinger A/free. The sacrifices we make!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I know you run with DDAC jackyback (Dunleer AC runner here), are you getting coached by someone within the club or outside of the club? I'm not too familiar with who coaches in DDAC. I know Liam looks after the ladies.

pconn062 wrote: »
    I know you run with DDAC jackyback (Dunleer AC runner here), are you getting coached by someone within the club or outside of the club? I'm not too familiar with who coaches in DDAC. I know Liam looks after the ladies.

Hey pconn, for myself i am coached outside of the club. Liam & Gerry look after the majority of the coaching within the club. Each group has its own leader who helps out with pacing and ensuring sessions are done as prescribed.
    I coach the groups targeting half to full marathon, we have another few targeting Prague Marathon in May.

Sunday 12th Jan
    1hr easy run - 1:18, 15.8kms, 4.56km pace
    Met with a few from the club early and we ran over hilly and rough terrain. Too long for what was planned and not as easy as it should have been. Taking elevation gain and conditions underfoot this was a tougher effort than the pace suggests. Enjoyed the company for a pleasant change.

2.5hr recovery ride - 2.29, 71.2kms
    Headed out late afternoon, conditions were miserable with rain & cold but i enjoyed spinning the legs out and they felt much better after it. Kept it easy apart from an 8k section when i got into a "silent race" with another lad. He won:rolleyes:

Weekly totals
    Swim:2k
    Bike:102.3k
    Run:103.3k - 4.45km avg
    Core: 60mins
    TSS: 963

Just over 14hrs for the week. Feeling a little better than last week but still a long way to go. Good to see improvements on long run and i seem to adapting well to the increased mileage.
    Aim for this week is similar mileage whilst nailing the 3 key sessions for the week. I also to try include more core work, a little more attention to maintenance work and to get 2 swims in. The swimming i actually find helps with recovery. Weight back down under 70kgs which i was not expecting so soon but you will not hear me complaining!!

• Advertisement

Mon 13th Jan

1hr easy run - 63mins, 11.96kms, 5.17km pace
    Without doubt this wins the award as the worst run of this marathon campaign so far. Slipped twice in the ice, once like Bambi and the other right on my tail bone. Adjusted my stride as a result to avoid slipping again which resulted in an awkward and slow run. This felt terrible.

Tues 14th Jan

2k swim - 44mins,1.52 avg moving pace
    I actually loved this little set, 4x100, 4x200, 400, 4x100 all with pb to save the legs. Posted a 7.32 for the 400 although it was not a TT effort it shows how far swimming has dropped off.

Interval session - 1:23:30, 20kms, 4.11km pace
    This was without doubt the toughest session so far on the plan and it hurt, a lot!! I had contemplated shifting this session to Wednesday and moving everything out for the rest of the week. Legs did not feel great and felt stiff from the fall last night. Decided to just HTFU and get it done on the treadmill and change it to an easy run if necessary.
    Intervals were 8x1.5k, started off at 3.40 but drifted out to 3.45km pace as hr started to drift after the first 3 or 4. Time felt like it was standing still at times and the last 3 intervals felt hellish, in particular the last one i was near off the back of the treadmill.
    Good to notice that AHR on each of the reps was lower by about 5-7bpm than this same session back on the 02nd Jan when i had 6x1500. Some progress but need to work on leg turnover on these faster intervals as i am struggling to turn the legs over quick enough.

Advertisement