Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

^^^ Ice???? You run on ice????? :eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Dory Dory wrote: »
    ^^^ Ice???? You run on ice????? :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I did not think it was as bad when i was heading out, some parts around town are lethal and i was not the only one falling on my a$$:)

Wed 15th Jan
    45min easy run - 49mins, 10.17kms, 4.53km pace
    I was expecting the legs to be shagged after Tuesdays session but to my surprise i felt great on this run. Had to keep a tight reigns on pace as i dont want to be running these easy/recovery runs too fast. Leave the fast running to the hard sessions!

Thurs 16th Jan
    1.6k swim - 1.51 avg moving pace, some 100s and 4x50k. Not going well at all in the pool.

Tempo session - 67mins, 15.6kms, 4.18km pace
    Session was a 4x10min (4x2.5k) tempo session with target pace somewhere around 4min ks. These tempo efforts felt fine, toe off and run cadence felt strong and fast. Each of the 10min tempo efforts came in slightly under 4min ks, in fact i had to slow down on the first 2. Garmin died near the end of the 3rd effort so the last one was counting laps around the track. Felt like i pushed the last one a little too hard...how we rely on garmins for pacing:rolleyes:
    Certainly some Aerobic Threshold improvements taking place but still a long way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Some progress but need to work on leg turnover on these faster intervals as i am struggling to turn the legs over quick enough.

Throw in a few downhill (moderate) strides after a few aerobic runs each week, on grass if it's an option.

Fri 17th Jan
    Easy day
    45min recovery turbo - Easy spinning

35min recovery run - 7.3km,4.52km pace
    The start of things going downhill. Legs very sore in particular my left leg.

Sat 18th Jan
    Scrapped Long Progression Run - 1:41, 21.3kms, 4.44km pace
    Continuation of Friday nights feeling in the legs. I have picked up a niggle in my left leg along the inside of the shin. I had hoped it would clear after 45mins of easy running and even attempted to lift the pace. Each footstep however was with some discomfort. Effort was low end of easy so aerobically i felt fantastic. This run annoyed me and left me in bad form the rest of the day as i was hoping to get about 28k in with some MP kms thrown in. Stupid niggles.

Swim - around 2.5k
    This was not planned but just decided to hit the pool for a long easy swim, it turned out the tri club were in so jumped into a load of 100s. All off 2mins coming in on 1:40, the power of the free draft!!

Sun 19th Jan
    Easy run - 69mins, 14.2kms, 4.52km pace
    Done late in the evening in the hope that my leg would feel better, but no, shin is still painful.

Weekly totals
    Swim:5.6k
    Bike:53k
    Run:100.7k - 4.40km avg
    Core: zilch
    TSS: 857

Week was really shaping up to be a good one having nailed the two midweek quality sessions and i was feeling good. Friday through Sunday changed that though. I know there are ups & downs but i could really do without stupid niggles like the one i have. On a recovery week this week so hopefully reduced mileage and an easier week will sort out the legs. I am also mindful that my current rotation of runners need replacing as there is no life left in them, sorting that with Amphibian King tomorrow as down in Limerick with work. Hope to pick up 2 or 3 pairs and look at something a little more forgiving than the ST5s with the increased mileage.

So block 1 of training done and dusted, just under 300k for the 3 weeks so averaging just under 100k a week so far. First priority is to sort out niggle and then focus on the next block. Aim is to further build volume/frequency and with 12 weeks less 2 for taper i really need to start getting some 30k+ decent long progression runs in the legs. The legs need to be bullet proof by the 13th April!!

• Advertisement

Recovery week

Mon 20th Jan
    Full rest day, end of a 25 day run streak.

Tues 21st Jan
    Easy 30 run - Actually turned into a 45min run around Limerick with MCOS. Still feeling the left shin when i run. No idea of pace as i have misplaced garmin usb, it was kept easy at chatting pace

1hr easy bike - Finally have the winter bike serviced and back on the road. Just spun out the legs easy, 168w

Wed 22nd Jan
    45min easy run - Stayed on the treadmill, kept it easy and legs felt ok.

Thurs 23rd Jan
    Double run day - 30min am easy run, 40min pm easy run. Shin pain back again, pain in the hole!!

Plan tonight is a core/circuits session. Might do an easy spin, easy swim or a light run tomorrow. Weekend plan is a short run on Saturday and run Raheny 5 on Sunday. Last years time was 30:28 but i am nowhere near that shape. Might just go for a mad time and risk blowing up:).
    Need to come out of this week niggle free!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Race a good idea with the shin??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Might just go for a mad time and risk blowing up:).
    Need to come out of this week niggle free!!

danger will robinson danger..

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Bambaata wrote: »

+1. How was the shin on the drive up after our trot around Limerick?

Bambaata wrote: »

Goes without saying that Raheny is not the goal race at all. Shin pain comes & goes and still ok to run on but i do feel it. See how it goes for Sunday.
    +1. How was the shin on the drive up after our trot around Limerick?

It was fine soon after. I can tend to feel it more on any sort of uphill more than on the flat. That was a nice little loop around the town.

• Advertisement

After this evenings race tune up looks like Raheny might be a no go. Need to keep the main thing as the main thing! Annoying little injury this is becoming.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

After this evenings race tune up looks like Raheny might be a no go. Need to keep the main thing as the main thing! Annoying little injury this is becoming.

sounds like a wise choice. bigger fish to fry

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Hard decision to make, but as you say - the main thing is the main thing!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Had anything done re: shin pain?

Recovery week RU
    Swim:3,200/1:18
    Bike:47.4kms/1:52
    Run:44.75kms/3:35
    Other:1:10
    Total:7hrs 55mins

Even for a recovery week it was a bit of a wash out. Week was plagued with a shin injury, of the 5 runs 4 of them hurt:o. Raheny 5 miler was binned as a result, this took all my restraint not to run. This was a bummer to miss as i like this race having raced it last year. After a physios visit this morning i am pleased i did not race it as it could have tipped things over the edge with a full on tear.
    The plan is to ease back into easy running this week but no speedwork allowed. Injury is a little complicated to try explain but in laymans terms, muscle along the shin was being pulled/stretched from my foot (flexor digitorum), aslo my ankle was misaligned which was promptly clicked back into place:eek:. Trying to run too much off my toes and expired/dead runners the likely causes.
    Hopefully i get through this week with some decent easy mileage and return to full training next week as time is rapidly running out!!

edit to add: Looks like the tempo session on the 16th was the trigger for the injury! Dead shoes and trying to over promote running off the toes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Meant to mail you over the weekend when I saw you were out of Raheny.

If you'll take some advice from the sidelines, don't be trying to force forefoot running. Let it happen naturally. As you shift into higher gears you will naturally run more off the forefoot, your ground contact will be shorter (more intense mechanically) and your cadence will lift (balancing the landing forces) too. Trust the shoes & yourself, there is no need for you to overexaggerate anything in your form.

AKW wrote: »
    Meant to mail you over the weekend when I saw you were out of Raheny.

If you'll take some advice from the sidelines, don't be trying to force forefoot running. Let it happen naturally. As you shift into higher gears you will naturally run more off the forefoot, your ground contact will be shorter (more intense mechanically) and your cadence will lift (balancing the landing forces) too. Trust the shoes & yourself, there is no need for you to overexaggerate anything in your form.

Always welcome advice from the sidelines:), and the above makes perfect sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I'd agree with what AKW says about running on your forefeet. Tried it a few years ago and it doesn't really work. I still don't run with perfect form, but trying to force forefoot running is asking for trouble.

Another simple thing, doing more of your runs on grass is worth bearing in mind. I'm not sure what your mileage was up to, before this training block started, but even if you were used to it, 100km a week is not an insignificant amount. I'm currently running more than I've ever ran before and I've sometimes felt discomfort myself in my metatarsals over the last few weeks. 3 or 4 days in a row running on grass has so far been enough to prevent the problem becoming more serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

zico10 wrote: »
    Another simple thing, doing more of your runs on grass is worth bearing in mind. I'm not sure what your mileage was up to, before this training block started, but even if you were used to it, 100km a week is not an insignificant amount. I'm currently running more than I've ever ran before and I've sometimes felt discomfort myself in my metatarsals over the last few weeks. 3 or 4 days in a row running on grass has so far been enough to prevent the problem becoming more serious.

+1 Also you seemed to be doing a fair bit of running on the treadmill. Maybe it was not as much as I thought but don't rule that out as a possible cause of injury. I know it can be dead handy with dark nights and kids but might be worth the effort of early morning running instead!

zico10 wrote: »
    I'd agree with what AKW says about running on your forefeet. Tried it a few years ago and it doesn't really work. I still don't run with perfect form, but trying to force forefoot running is asking for trouble.

Yeah i think i should just stick to form as it is rather than over promoting forefoot running. I started off as a heel striker now more midfoot landing.
    Good point on grass, i have limited options around for running on grass at night time or on lunch when the bulk of my runs are done. The issue is the surface is so uneven which could easily lead to going over. I do have the options for grass over the weekends so perhaps i should look to try get a few more grass runs in as the road can take it out of your legs.
    You are getting through some mileage at the moment so hardly surprising metatarsals are playing up a bit!!
    TRR wrote: »
    +1 Also you seemed to be doing a fair bit of running on the treadmill. Maybe it was not as much as I thought but don't rule that out as a possible cause of injury. I know it can be dead handy with dark nights and kids but might be worth the effort of early morning running instead!
    Yes guilty, just really difficult (as you know) trying to juggle everything and sometimes its the only option. I do think the treadmill is more forgiving on the legs than the road but i do think it changes your form and where your foot lands so you may have a point that it may have played a part in the injury. I like running outside so will try limit treadmill running but with the way work is playing out any sort of running would be good.:)

• Advertisement

Good news is the injury seems to be on the mend, the plan is to use this week as a bridging week mostly all easy running so i can get back on track next week, hopefully will hit 100-110k for this week. Bad news is work levels ramping up and with travel next week the game of juggling commences. I was hopeful of avoiding this until after London but projects have been pulled forward.
    If anything else conspires against marathon training in the next few weeks i may just consider not doing London. I knew heading into this that i needed perfect uninterrupted training and so far its a mile off.

Mon 27th Jan
    In with MWT and the guy is a miracle worker. Rather painful but green light for easy running, shorter & double days suggested and long run ok for weekend
    Double day: AM:42mins, 7.7kms, 5.24km pace. kept at recovery effort. PM:35mins, 7.1kms, 4.55km pace, headlight torch run.

Tues 28th Jan
    2k swim

Easy run - 48mins, 9.7kms, 4.57km pace, no pain in the leg, first time in over a week. A good sign

Wed 29th Jan
    Easy with some steady work - 42mins,9km,4.43km pace. Threw in 2x10min steady efforts to see how the leg would hold up. First low end of steady 4:30km pace and up a gear to mid steady for the 2nd 10mins at 4:19km pace. Angry run dealing with a day of work crap but much better when i got back.

Thurs 30th Jan
    Easy Run - 42mins, 9kms, 4.43km pace.Another long work day so just managed some easy trotting on the treadmill. Leg pain no longer seems to be an issue and i am feeling back to myself, need to be careful though.

Weekend plan
    Double easy run day today
    Hoping for 30k long easy run tomorrow, depending on how it feels may progress into some faster kms towards the end.
    Sunday will likely see 1 or 2 easy runs.

good to hear you're back in the game :)

Fri 31st Jan
    AM - Easy Run - 54mins,10.95kms,5min ks. Nice relaxed run.
    PM - Recovery Run - 30mins,5.7kms,5.16km pace. Kept this at recovery pace with the long run scheduled in the morning.

Sat 01st Feb
    AM Long Run - 2:25,30.30.6kms, 4.44km pace. Up very early as had to pop into work for an hour. Heading out it was brutal, apart from the strong winds i had to contend with rain, hail,sleet and i think it even snowed briefly. Very exposed and hilly route, there was moments of feeling great and there was moments i was doubting being ready in time for London with a serious lack of endurance. It got done thats the main thing, thankfully no problems with the injury and this was the acid test to see if i can get back into it proper next week, test passed:)

PM 2km straight swim - 37:42,1:53/100 pace. In with the pb between the legs for a very easy aerobic swim to loosen out the body from the earlier long run. Surprised i felt ok given lack of any real swim work of late.

Sun 02nd Feb
    AM Easy run - 1:14,15.5km,4.47km pace. Nice to be out with a few running club buddies. This was really enjoyable on a nice fresh morning, legs heavy starting off but improved as the run went on.

PM Recovery short run - 42mins,7.75kms,5:28km pace. Legs felt better after than before, always the aim of these recovery runs. Enjoyable.

Weekly RU
    Swim: 1:25/4,100mtrs
    Bike: 55mins/25km
    Run: 9:21/114kms/10 runs with 3 doubles/4.55km pace
    Total: 11hrs 41mins

Main aim completed for the week, to use it as a bridging week to get back to proper training and get over this injury. 114kms of running but all easy work, next week will see some faster pace runs re introduced. Time is not really on my side so cannot afford any other missed weeks.
    Plan for next week is 11 runs, 140km with 3 of those sessions with some faster work. I really need to nail a long run with some progression work down to and past PMP as confidence is a bit on the low side right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Just thinking about your post on my log. I probably won't be doing another standard weekend long run for a while. Next weekend I won't be doing one and the following I have a 50k, then I will probably not need a 'long run' on the weekend of the 22nd and I have the HM the next weekend.

If you want to do some PMP stuff I am free weekdays too and would appreciate the company (will be doing 10+ miles @ PMP the next few midweeks). Alternatively I would be up for something like 13 miles @ PMP the weekend of the 22nd (probably on the Sunday as I might be committed on the Saturday)...or we could break it up to something like 5;4;3;2;1 miles (with breaks) if you wanted?

Give me a shout anyway and we'll work something out...

menoscemo wrote: »
    Just thinking about your post on my log. I probably won't be doing another standard weekend long run for a while. Next weekend I won't be doing one and the following I have a 50k, then I will probably not need a 'long run' on the weekend of the 22nd and I have the HM the next weekend.

If you want to do some PMP stuff I am free weekdays too and would appreciate the company (will be doing 10+ miles @ PMP the next few midweeks). Alternatively I would be up for something like 13 miles @ PMP the weekend of the 22nd (probably on the Sunday as I might be committed on the Saturday)...or we could break it up to something like 5;4;3;2;1 miles (with breaks) if you wanted?

Give me a shout anyway and we'll work something out...

Week days a no go with me with work etc. Weekend of the 22nd might be workable, i could link the PMP work in on my own long run around PP or something. I will be in touch.

Monday 03rd Feb
    Easy run - 55mins, 11.1kms, 4.58km pace, 142ahr. Legs a little heavy starting out after a 57k run weekend but loosened out nicely as the run progressed. Found my hr again and pleased to see a very low hr for this easy one.

50min easy turbo - I seem to be addicted to watching Dexter, through season 1 so far and i am really enjoying it. Just an easy one spinning out the legs, i miss cycling!!

Tuesday 04th Feb
    Double run day
    AM Run with MP work - 53mins,11.9kms,4.29km pace, 158ahr. This contained 25mins of MP work, concerned as first time doing and faster work but it worked out ok. Rather than trying to hit x pace on these i am running them by marathon effort guided by hr. Done 6km at an average of 4.07km pace at 164ahr (MP effort for me is 165-167)

PM Recovery run - 40mins,7.9kms,5.04km pace,142ahr. Just ticking over and getting the miles in. Looks like the world was ending outside (missus out running in it, haha) gone soft and opted for the comfort of the house....at least i am dry!!

Due for a swim later but vegged out watching Toy Story 3 for the 5th time in a week. Up at 3.30am with work travel so early night on the cards. 80 easy scheduled tomorrow evening.

10 weeks to go. I wouldn't worry about lack of confidence. Confidence breeds laziness ;) getting the miles in regardless of pace/effort when everything transpires against you is what's important!

Wed 05th Feb
    78mins,16.5kms, 4.44km pace - Long day with work & travel so this was done late. Kept easy but 6x100 strides included along with 6x15sec hill sprints.

Thurs 06th Feb
    Run with 40mins @ PMP - 62mins,13.6kms,4.34km pace. This was tough and near pulled up once or twice, work distracting me at the moment. 10k,40:50 @ MP effort (166ahr) came in at 4.05km pace. The thoughts of doing that x 4 is daunting, I won't lie.

Due for double day but was working till 10pm, sometimes you just need to bin a session.

Fri 07th Feb
    Double run day
    Lunchtime run, 12.8km, 4:36km pace. Too slow to be quality and too fast for what it should have been. Guessing paces as garmin USB stick misplaced again.
    PM, 7.5k, 5.05km pace, purposely kept this easy.

In Dublin tomorrow if anyone wants to do a long run.

Sat 08th Feb
    Long crappy run - 2:18,29.2km,4.43km pace. I stuttered and spluttered my way around this. Started off running well but really suffered in the last 7km. Was due for 32km but i was done at 29k. Thoughts of running London were a long way off.

Sun 09th Feb
    Double run day
    AM - 1:17,16km,4.50km pace - Again out with a few from the club which helped the kms tick by. Really enjoying these Sunday morning runs.
    PM - 44mins,7.5km,5.49km pace - This run thought me one thing, dont take running too serious, its a hobby after all and one which should be enjoyed. Ran this with Ryan who was on his bike. It did not help i had to slow down to push him up hills and then speed up to catch him on the downhill sections:).
    He assures me he will join me next week to keep me company, he was delighted cycling the 7.5km. Nothing like kids to change mood/outlook (i was for binning London on Sat night)

Swim - 1hr,2925mtrs with pull buoy. This really loosened the body out. A straight 1hr aerobic swim. Surprised to hit near the 3k mark for what felt like a steady enough pace.

Weekly RU
    Swim: 1hr/2,925mtrs
    Bike: 50mins/23.7km
    Run: 10:36/132kms/11 runs with 4 doubles/4.49km pace
    Total: 12hrs 26mins
    TSS: 958

Biggest ever run week put down. Still not satisfied where i am at but no point dwelling on it, just get on with it. Going to keep ticking along and eventually it will start to come good as long as i can maintain consistency. Still a lot of endurance work to be done before even dialling in marathon pace.
    I would say a sustainable marathon pace right now for me is probably around 4.20/25km pace so i have 9 weeks to close that gap to sub 3 pace.
    Next week will likely see around 140km. With work being crazy busy i will be doing well to hit every session.
    I managed to nab an entry to Donadea 50k this weekend so a change of scenery and some company on my long run will be welcome. Unsure of the plan but loose plan is run 35k of it along the lines of 10k easy, 15k @ 90% PMP (4.30km), 5k @ 95% PMP (4.17km) and 5k easy to finish. Will see what others are doing and try jump into a group.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I don't think I'll make it to Donadea. Have college / work / training to be doing ;) Will try to send some chocolate biscuit cake for you!

Advertisement