Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Cannot do the 5k race now tomorrow.:(

5k run tt coming up shortly. I feel like this will hurt a lot, htfu time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Sorry to hear that Fran!

Bambaata wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that Fran!

No biggie, i got what i wanted out of the 5k tt earlier today....nearly 40sec improvement so happy out:)

Thurs 20th
    Easy lunch run- 43mins, 8.5km, 5.02k pace
    PM - split run to core session, 9km easy and 1hr in core

Fri 21st
    5k run - TT effort
    I wanted to lay down a mark this week but could not race on Saturday with logistics proving difficult. I was feeling a bit bullish so decided to give a 5k TT a go to see where I am at. I was hopeful of sneaking under my 18:29 pb but difficult to go all out in a solo TT!
    Km 1 - 3:27- As usual started out of the traps too quickly. Soon settled into a hard but manageable pace. Did not look at the garmin until it beeped, I was surprised and the notions of sub 18 came into play.
    Km 2 - 3:31 - Slight drag on this and the faster start was starting to pinch already. Wind was really picking up as well.
    Km 3 - 3:45 - Pace had dropped close to 4min ks at one stage as I went up a short but steep hill. Really starting to get into a world of pain and thoughts of stopping popped into my head. Managed to pull the pace back a bit.
    Km 4 - 3:36 - Legs really tiring and the pissing rain comes down. Fvk this was a stupid idea.
    Km 5 - 3:23 - Aided by a slight downhill I just start pushing hard to a finish and turning the legs over as quick as I could.
    Stop the watch and pleased to see the time but in bits and legs turn to jelly.
    So a decent mark set of 17:42 by garmin so probably allow another 10secs on top of that. A bit better than what I expected. Some might say a silly idea doing this but I needed to see where I was at having not raced in a good while. Re enforced to keep the miles ticking over and take recovery when needed.
    http://www.trainingpeaks.com/av/WU4NOAKRCOHZFHBNPVD5G4KUUY

Sat 22nd
    A very slow recovery run on the treddie, 5:45km pace slow for 8km. Yesterday's TT really have left the legs feeling tight & sore. Need to roll them out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Hang on hang on...

Nice PB there Fran...
    Serious volume logged and clearly working for you fair play.

So, more running makes you a faster runner...

Tunney.... What the hell is going on here?.... :confused::confused::confused: :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Fazz wrote: »
    Hang on hang on...

Nice PB there Fran...
    Serious volume logged and clearly working for you fair play.

So, more running makes you a faster runner...

Tunney.... What the hell is going on here?.... :confused::confused::confused: :pac::pac::pac:

Run improvements have nothing to do with run volume, I am putting it down to a higher elbow and balance drills in the pool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Run improvements have nothing to do with run volume, I am putting it down to a higher elbow and balance drills in the pool :)

:D:D:D

Sat 22nd PM
    2nd run - Short & Easy - 33mins,7km,4.49km pace. Up in Newry for a night away from the kids. Nice to have new surroundings to run around. Legs felt good.
    Swim - Straight 2km - Into the hotel pool and stuck the pb between the legs. Just a straight 2k before dinner. Did not like the pool at all but i know i need to work on my swim to improve my run:pac:

Sun 23rd
    30km Long Easy Run - 2:15, 30.1kms, 4.29km pace. At last a long run i can hang my hat on. Started off and felt very good but was paying no attention to the garmin until about 10km in. I was keeping effort mid easy/comfortable and was surprised to see the pace come in with over half of the run coming in low 4.20s (95% Mpace). I was not even pushing it at all and was moving well. No sign of fatigue in the last few kms which has been an issue in previous long runs. I know run shape is coming on when 4.20/30 starts to feel easy to manage. No doubt the easier week helped bring the legs & body back around.

1hr recovery on the turbo - Man, just cannot get enough of watching Dexter at the moment, S4 end was a cracker and S5 looks to be good also. Kept this easy and flushed out the legs from the earlier long run.

Weekly RU
    Swim: 38mins/2km
    Bike: 1hr/28km
    Run: 6:44/85kms/9 runs with 2 doubles/4.45km pace
    Core: 63mins
    Total: 9hrs 25mins
    TSS: 723

Overall a very good week and the lower volume & focus on recovery really helped. The 5k tt was very pleasing and also the long run really had me starting to believe that maybe i still might be able to nab the sub3 in London. Still a few weeks to go and next weeks Bohermeen half will tell a lot. If i can manage to do 13-15miles at Mpace as part of a long run i know i am on the right track. Need to ensure i balance getting the miles in this week whilst keeping myself fresh enough for that session on Saturday.
    No more moany Fran between now & London...promise:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

No more moany Fran between now & London...promise:)

Just in case you edit your post. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Nice TT there Fran. Flying hobbit :pac:

• Advertisement

The brief version of an update

Mon 24th Feb
    Double day - AM 35mins/6.5k/5.18k pace recovery and PM 66mins/13k/5.05k pace easy

Tue 25th Feb
    Double day - AM 45mins/9/5.00k pace easy and lunch 37mins/7.9k/4.43k pace. I had planned some MP work during the lunch run but after 10mins of it had to high tail it back to work for a meeting.

Wed 26th Feb
    1hr easy spin at lunchtime and spinning out the legs, miss the bike!
    PM - finished working late and the weather was brutal so opted to do the session on treddie. 3x 500mtrs @ 3.30 pace and 500mtrs at 4.15 pace. Tough as hell but only 3 so got through them ok. The 4.15 like a walk in the park compared to 3.30. HR was hitting up to 180s on the faster stuff.

Thurs 27th Feb
    61mins/12.7k/4.49k pace - Would have been better taking a rest day than heading out late last night.

Taking it easy today and tomorrow with Bohermeen on Sunday, tired, not from training but another crazy week in work. BTW that does not count as a moan:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭joey100

Getting through some serious miles there JB,
    3x 500mtrs @ 3.30 pace and 500mtrs at 4.15 pace

Are these done running straight from one to the next or where these parts of the longer run?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Savage mileage Fran. Plenty of rest and sleep before Sunday. ;)

joey100 wrote: »
    Getting through some serious miles there JB,

Are these done running straight from one to the next or where these parts of the longer run?

Part of a longer run, 3k block of work as continous adjusting pace between 3.30 and 4.15. As i was on the treadmill it was done as 2min 3.30 2min 4.15 for 12mins.
    pgibbo wrote: »
    Savage mileage Fran. Plenty of rest and sleep before Sunday. ;)

Yep, plan was to front load the week a little with 2 doubles. Easier today and tomorrow with a view to nailing 13-15 @ MP on Sunday as part of a 20miler. I hope to get a sleep in tomorrow if the kids play ball:)

Fri 28th Feb
    49mins with 5x1min at mpace - 10.6kms,4.37km pace. Legs feeling a little lethargic but opened up on the mpace segments.

Sat 1st Mar
    35mins easy run - 7.5kms, 4.43km pace. Just kept this easy, saving legs for Sundays key session.

Sun 2nd Mar
    Bohermeen - 20miles with 15 at Mpace
    2hrs 20, 20.1miles, 6.58 mile pace, 15miles @ 6.48mile pace/165ahr
    Met up with a few familar faces beforehand before heading out to get a few easy and mpace miles in before the start of the race. Weather was not great so i knew i would not be in the mood to cross the line and go back out for 3 or 4 miles so intended to get the 20 in and finish up when i crossed the line.
    I was due to head out with Meno but there was no sign of him. Done a mile or two with Dave (TRR) as a warm up before he headed back for the start. I headed out a bit further for 3 miles and turned and started back at mpace. By the time i got back to the start it was being dismantled:) Nothing like giving them a headstart.
    I did not catch the back of the first runners until nearly a mile in. The first few miles at Mpace i was having to slow myself down as i was running just under 6.40mile pace and easing off towards the end of each mile split. Miles 2 through 8 of the half, (8 to 14 of the run) was spent mostly weaving in/out as i passed 100s.
    Mpace was only starting to bite after about 10miles of it as its the most i have covered at that pace in a run. HR was still bang on but legs were starting to get a little heavy. Got to about 14.5miles at M pace (17.5 of run) and i got a massive stitch, continued on to complete the 15 at Mpace (6.48 avg) and stopped to ease it out. Figured i had about a mile and a bit to make up to cross the line at 20, so much to the bemusement of those around me i started to run against the crowds of runners running momentarily with a few fellow clubmates to offer some support. Heading up to the finish and i was still short so instead of rounding the corner to finish i ran away from the finish to bring it up to 20. Fellow clubmates did not have a clue what was going on:)
    This has really helped the confidence. I always say to those i coach that if you can knock out 15miles at mpace as part of a long run whilst in the midst of heavy training then you should be in good shape to hit your goal time in the marathon. Not getting carried away though, a lot can happen in 6 weeks.
    Met up with a few boardsies after, great running by the aul lad TRR, running a 73min half and 5th place:)

PM Recovery run
    30mins, 3.4miles at 8:35mile pace
    I was zapped after the earlier run but decided to try aid recovery. Just 30mins very easy and the legs felt much better for it coming back in, nice way to round off just under 24miles for the day.
    Must change my watch back to kms, instead of the outdated miles which were used in the 1800s:)

Weekly RU
    Swim: nada
    Bike: 1hr/27kms
    Run: 9hrs/114.7kms/10 runs with 3 doubles/4.42km pace
    Total: 10hrs
    TSS: 807

A decent week, front loaded the week and took it handy enough to ensure i was fresh enough for Sundays run. After last weeks 5k tt and todays solid session i reckon my sub 3 chances have improved from 0% to 50-50:)
    6 weeks to go and its all about getting the balance right of miles in whilst ensuring i do not dig a deep hole for myself. Next week will prove a little difficult as travelling for 2 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Well done JB. I was wondering what the hell you were at yesterday. You passed me like a train alright after about 6.5 miles and then I see you heading back towards me after around 10 miles. You didn't look in any distress so I presumed you had done what you set out to do and were waiting up for a few clubmates to help out.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Well done JB. I was wondering what the hell you were at yesterday. You passed me like a train alright after about 6.5 miles and then I see you heading back towards me after around 10 miles. You didn't look in any distress so I presumed you had done what you set out to do and were waiting up for a few clubmates to help out.

Have to say it's an enjoyable way to race starting about 5mins after everyone else. I had to laugh, I passed two large groups near the end only to slow right down, they must have thought I had an epic explosion as they were giving me the "come on, nearly there" speech :)

Not a great start to this week. Mon, Tue, Wed...no training done whatsoever.

I could go out now for a run after finishing up work but i figure that would just be foolish.

Looks like this week is going to be a bit of a write off.

Last week finished out as Thurs, Fri nothing and about 4hrs over Sat/Sun with some running and cycling.

This week started off with 2 doubles on Mon/Tues, Tues key session was a 3x2mile @ MP hitting 6.4x. Wednesday a single and today is looking doubtful. So about 60k so far for the week.
    Unlikely to be updating here as regular as i have been, hard enough finding time to run let alone time to write about it.

Settling on the race plan for London, simple, run at sub 3 pace and see what mile the legs explode. Hopefully this is close enough to the finish line when it happens:)
    Hardly ideal prep for a lead in to a key race but if i am honest i am not that bothered at this stage as i just have far too much on! If i hit it great if not well at least i will have given it my best given current commitments.

It is ok to have a 5 week taper, right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

It is ok to have a 5 week taper, right?

Hope so :eek:

Have not been good with the updates of late:rolleyes:

Pretty sure you will not see this in any marathon book!
    w/c 10th March - 122.6kms/9hrs 47
    w/c 17th March - 35.5kms/2hrs 53
    w/c 24th March - 28.1kms/2hrs 12 with an epic 204km bike ride:)
    w/c 31st March - 18.2kms/1hr 23

So last few weeks it has been far from ideal, instead of putting the finishing touches to the marathon i have been focussing on work. I think if i had tried to continue with big volume weeks on the weeks of the 17th & 24th i would have been in a pretty big hole right now as 70hr work weeks are already knocking the stuffing out of me.
    Some positive news, up to last week anyhow, is that some of those runs have been close to marathon pace without pushing effort, i know the legs are feeling very fresh. I also need to consider 4 years of endurance focussed training so that also stands to me.
    My view has still not changed, still going out at sub 3 pace rightly or wrongly, it is going to be a huge task. Even splits all the way, i see some suggestions on Menos log about trying to go out and run a 1.33/1.26 type neg split. I don't think that would work for me, the first half in London is easier and i don't think i would have that type of pace in me to run a 7min neg split in the back half. There is a huge level of risk either way but willing to face the consequences if and when the legs go from me, i would be happier in the pub afterwards knowing i have given it a proper lash even if it does not come off.
    If i can arrive at halfway closer to 1:29 and in good shape and still arrive around mile 20 close on target pace who knows what could happen. Its all about how you feel on the day and how deep I can go.
    Have not thought about the race much but starting to look forward to it a little. Fly out Saturday, run sub 3 Sunday:rolleyes:, few pints afterwards and fly back the Monday....sounds easy.
    No 12,218 in the blue start, must find passport and pack some stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Have you a twitter tracker set up so I can return the 'shouting at the screen' favour? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Good luck and (most importantly) enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Some positive news, up to last week anyhow, is that some of those runs have been close to marathon pace without pushing effort, i know the legs are feeling very fresh. I also need to consider 4 years of endurance focussed training so that also stands to me.

I think this is really important. A friend of mine has run marathon PBs off the back of a similar lead up to what you have experienced. He now consciously does it. He trains very hard up until April hitting races etc then takes the foot off, keeps ticking over and hits a marathon in June/July and usually runs well. As long as you haven't gone mad eating or gargling and the legs have been ticking over you have a great shot. You are right to forget about that 7 minute negative split as well, would need to be in low 2.50 shape to even attempt something like that. If you're running 7 minute negative splits you have either underperformed in the first half or had to stop for an elephantesque style dump!

AKW wrote: »
    Have you a twitter tracker set up so I can return the 'shouting at the screen' favour? :)

How do you do that:pac:
    RJM85 wrote: »
    Good luck and (most importantly) enjoy!

Of course
    TRR wrote: »
    If you're running 7 minute negative splits you have either underperformed in the first half or had to stop for an elephantesque style dump!

I spilt my coffee!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

How do you do that:pac:

KEEP IT STEADY FRAN!!

NO CHOKE IT DOWN!

GREAT SPLITS, KEEP HER LIT

LAST PUSH GO ON, GO ON GO ON

AWESOME RESULTS 2:58:45

:D

Oh, don't know if they have an app set up. If I find out I'll let you know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

loving the last few miles on that time sheet. fair play Fran. based on previous posts if anything will drive you home they will. best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

It's only Tuesday so it seems a bit early to be saying "best of luck at the weekend"....but just in case life gets in the way, best of luck at the weekend. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Don't worry JB I won't be listening to any advice about 7 minute negative splits ;) Pity you are in a different start block from us, our paths won't merge until after 3 miles. Maybe catch up to you on the course...btw I take it our bet is chiptime? (you said first past the post ;)).

Advertisement