Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

F*ck ye anyway...I'm not going to try an beat that anytime soon.

I had to remove any doubt of you attempting to shave a second over the last 400tt time i posted. Up yer game Racoon:)

A reduction in volume for the week but still some intensity in there. I was pretty tired up to midweek from a big week last week. Managed a 400tt 11sec pb in the water but missed out on two swims later in the week which was slightly annoying. I am trying not to taper on swim volume as i need to keep frequency of swimming up so that will be the focus for next week.
    Finished off the week with some bike racing today, race report below.

2 weeks to Frankfurt and i am looking forward to it.

Plans well and truly in motion for the next year or two. I am going to focus purely on bike racing for the next while with the intention of getting around the RAS at some stage. Not for 2015 or possibly even 2016 but certainly before i go grey and hit 40:), i think its a more realistic goal at this stage in life than getting to Kona and fits in with life & work. Looking forward to a change of focus and less juggling about as most of the training will either be done prior to work or during lunch time. 10hrs of bike training should leave you in good shape

My winter approach will look like this, comments welcome.

Mon – PM -Work/lunch Turbo based session (or road if conditions suitable) – 60mins – BG work/strength – Range of intervals

Tue – AM - 60mins rollers focus on high cadence

Wed – AM – Turbo based session – 45-60mins – Anaerobic conditioning (in 6-8 week cycles due to diminishing returns) mixed with slightly lower V02max interval work. Typically work will range from 20sec-3mins for Anaerobic efforts and above that to 8min intervals for VO2 work.

Thurs – AM – 2hr easy ride with optional tempo work.

Fri – AM – Turbo based session – 60-90mins – Threshold specific – range of longer intervals & work, work/lunch – optional rollers/easy spin

Sat/Sun – 1 day on/off – Typically a 3 to 4 hour endurance ride.

Obviously come race season next year I will need to look at weekends and reduce midweek quality sessions down to 2, will likely only get away with one race every two weeks. Ideally the focus is to get out of A4 as quick as possible and start racing plenty with A3 and hopefully get stronger as the year goes on, start building a platform for RAS in 2016 or even 2017. Reckon I will need 2-3 years to be strong enough. For me (numbers only), and assuming the numbers quoted are right I would need to be around 68kg/330w FTP which is 4.8/9w/kg. Not withstanding I need to learn a lot from race craft/savvie. That’s a 70w improvement (25% improvement) from current fitness which is doable over a 2 year focus.

Teggart Memorial - A4 race - 92km
    Headed up with Liam who was off in the A1s. A4s had 5 loops shy of 19k on a rolling course with one decent/short climb. We had about 60+ for the A4s, for some reason the organisers let the U16s off before us, bad decision as we would later find out.
    First 2 loops i found a bit pedestrian, pace was around 37km but the legs felt a bit more refresfed from Navan 2 weeks prior. Just hung mid pack to suss out the course as it was my intention to get busy later in the race.
    As we commenced our 3rd loop we came up across the back of the U16s race, to everyone in the bunch the call was put out that our race was neutralised to allow the U16s not to get mixed up in our race. Whilst this happened 12 lads broke past the holding car and went on their way. A clubmate tried to follow but was told he would be DQd if he passed the car.
    A good few thought the lads would be called back but the next few kms was slow due to being held up and there was a lot of confusion in the bunch.
    No sign off the lads being called back so i got on the front and started doing some work rolling through but not everyone was working. About 60k into the race i had drifted back to mid bunch, i decided, fvk it i am feeling good, lets go for it. Powered up the outside and gave a shout to a clubmate to follow. After a min i turned and nobody had followed and i had opened up a bit of a gap. Drilled for another few kms hoping i would see a few up the road (was unsure at this stage if they had been DQd) After a while out front i started to tire as had been holding well above threshold.
    Settled back in and about 10-12 of us done a few up and overs to lift the pace, everyone else happy to sit in for the ride. Lap 4 and 5 people started to tire but i was feeling good. Rolled in at the finish as it was clear by that stage there was no DQs and no points up for grabs so was not risking a sprint finish crash with FF around the corner.
    A good blowout, 2:28, 37kmph, 92km, 240NP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

So....the big question is: with your new focus for the next few years, will there be a log title change too?? :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    So....the big question is: with your new focus for the next few years, will there be a log title change too?? :)

If ye lot can come up with a catchy title i may consider changing:) The current one took me long enough to come up with.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i think the bigger question is whether the log is allowed to stay here or move over to that other place :)

we may have to insist on 1 length swum and 1 km run a month to keep it here:)

• Advertisement

are you going to race the ridley fran? i'd love to give a4 a shot at some stage, but reckon I'd pick up a thrasher i didn't mind crashing.

and are you going to keep the tri(should it be tt now) bike? any plan to do time trials? that's the one that really entices me, have been meaning to look for some around me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

mossym wrote: »
    i think the bigger question is whether the log is allowed to stay here or move over to that other place :)

I swam 350m and ran 5 km this week in order to be allowed hang round these parts for a while longer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Solobally8 wrote: »
    I swam 350m and ran 5 km this week in order to be allowed hang round these parts for a while longer :D

Your participation in these parts is still under review. The powers that be should be in touch shortly with their binding decision :p

Sorry to hear about those 12 escapees and the circumstances! Id be raging. Did anyone bring it to the race officials attention at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

nice race at the weekend and good luck with the change;
    looking forward to trying to chase you next year ;)

I would suggest going straight to A3 next season no point in wasting a few months in A4; and the longer and slightly harder races will be better preparation and you should not have problems competing, also plan a few stage races (Gorey, Donegal etc)
    The stage racing is great for learning, You need to balance energy expenditure from efforts (as you have to race tomorrow) and as the bunches are bigger you learn to ride in them, there is a massive jump from 60 riders to 200, being at the arse of a 150 rider line out is depressing.

also make sure you train with the local A1,2's over the winter getting the longer harder spins in will help.

Please don't banish me just yet!
    are you going to race the ridley fran? i'd love to give a4 a shot at some stage, but reckon I'd pick up a thrasher i didn't mind crashing.
    and are you going to keep the tri(should it be tt now) bike? any plan to do time trials? that's the one that really entices me, have been meaning to look for some around me
    I have been racing on the Ridley, you just have to put the idea of crashing out of your head. Yes will be doing some TTs and keeping the tri bike, i am not leaving tri just diverting attention for a while. I will be back doing some IM events in years to come when the kids grow up a little.
    Bambaata wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about those 12 escapees and the circumstances! Id be raging. Did anyone bring it to the race officials attention at the end?
    Race officials were still out on the A1,A2,A3 race. I overheard a good few after the race saying they were getting on to CI about it but not sure what good that will do. I may have ruffled a few feathers, a good few from the "winning group" were back slapping each other "thats what racing is all about". I chimed in with "lads, why did you pass the car when our race was neutralised" they responded "you got to take your chances":rolleyes:
    BennyMul wrote: »
    nice race at the weekend and good luck with the change;
    looking forward to trying to chase you next year ;)

I would suggest going straight to A3 next season no point in wasting a few months in A4; and the longer and slightly harder races will be better preparation and you should not have problems competing, also plan a few stage races (Gorey, Donegal etc)
    The stage racing is great for learning, You need to balance energy expenditure from efforts (as you have to race tomorrow) and as the bunches are bigger you learn to ride in them, there is a massive jump from 60 riders to 200, being at the arse of a 150 rider line out is depressing.

also make sure you train with the local A1,2's over the winter getting the longer harder spins in will help.
    Have they not done away with jumping up a category? Yeah the A3 and longer races would suit me as endurance for me will not be an issue given my training over the last few years.
    I would be hopeful of actually going out and doing the training with the RAS Louth teams over Winter, as you say training/riding with stronger riders can only bring you on.

• Advertisement

Please don't banish me just yet!

no worries jb, based on the last few years efforts you've credits on an indefinite stay here:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Bambaata wrote: »
    Your participation in these parts is still under review. The powers that be should be in touch shortly with their binding decision :p

After that quick splash and jog shes safe for another few weeks, but if she doesn't race Lanesboro she's out on her ear.

Just keeping this updated for my own benefit. Decided not to do the Omagh 3 day this weekend, too close to FF.

Tris (all entered)
    Lough Cutra - OLY - 25th May DNS
    James McManus Cavan - SPR - 31st May-done
    IM Frankfurt - 06th July
    DCT - Oly - 24th August
    Newry City Tri - SPR - 31st August
    Belfast City Tri - OLY - 07th September

Bike racing
    Sean Nolan GP Navan - 08th June-done
    Teggart Memorial - 22nd June-done
    Beechmount Cup - 09th August
    Collins Christie Mem - 10th August
    Louth Hill Champs (need to put bikies down for this) - 28th August
    Ulster 100mile TT Champs or Laragh Classic - 14th September

BTH wrote: »
    After that quick splash and jog shes safe for another few weeks, but if she doesn't race Lanesboro she's out on her ear.

Yikes! I've got some bad news ...:o

Belfast City Tri - OLY - 07th September

was thinking of adding a couple of for fun races after lost sheep, would be good to get one race in with you before you put away your tri gear for a while, but belfast is a long way from here..will have to think about it..:)

we should nominate some race as an end of season boards blow out, just for the laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Ryath

Race officials were still out on the A1,A2,A3 race. I overheard a good few after the race saying they were getting on to CI about it but not sure what good that will do. I may have ruffled a few feathers, a good few from the "winning group" were back slapping each other "thats what racing is all about". I chimed in with "lads, why did you pass the car when our race was neutralised" they responded "you got to take your chances":rolleyes:
    That's seriously annoying. If the lead car was neutralising the race Cycling Ireland will surely have to something.
    Have they not done away with jumping up a category? Yeah the A3 and longer races would suit me as endurance for me will not be an issue given my training over the last few years.
    I would be hopeful of actually going out and doing the training with the RAS Louth teams over Winter, as you say training/riding with stronger riders can only bring you on.

No you can upgrade at the start the season. You just have to do a season in A4 first. They were done away with midseason as lads were just upgrading and down grading at will to ride certain races. I'm tempted to take the upgrade myself next season but I would like to earn it. It's tough in A4 though if your not a sprinter. The longer races suit me better. I'll stay plugging away this season though work on my sprinting and target the hillier races and hope I'm in good enough shape for the 2 day in Charleville to pick up some points there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Ryath wrote: »
    That's seriously annoying. If the lead car was neutralising the race Cycling Ireland will surely have to something.

No you can upgrade at the start the season. You just have to do a season in A4 first. They were done away with midseason as lads were just upgrading and down grading at will to ride certain races. I'm tempted to take the upgrade myself next season but I would like to earn it. It's tough in A4 though if your not a sprinter. The longer races suit me better. I'll stay plugging away this season though work on my sprinting and target the hillier races and hope I'm in good enough shape for the 2 day in Charleville to pick up some points there.

so to get to A3 you have to do a season A4? thats it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Ryath

tunney wrote: »
    so to get to A3 you have to do a season A4? thats it?

Pretty much it is meant to be a beginner category though. Lads's shouldn't be riding in it for years. For a few it may be their level but most are well able for A3. Before they got rid of the upgrades at will you could get an A3 licence straight away. Most lads I'd say stay and try and get the points. A3 and A4 have become a bit of a bottle neck though they need more to be promoted up the ranks. Between juniors and a certain amount of sand bagging going on it's hard to get points in A3 and A4. At least now points in A4 are carried to the next year so lads have to move up if they are placing.

A4 is especially hard to get points in as most of the races are so short strong lad's who aren't terribly fit can sit in and get around and contest the sprint. Trying to get a break away going is usually futile most races just aren't hilly enough. A4 race this weekend in clare was only 43k, under 50k so only points for the first 3. Was glad I didn't travel for it two crashes in it.

Ryath wrote: »

Cheers Ryath. Yeah annoying alright, they essentially got a handy 1 or 2mins on us until we could get going again. Results seem to have stood, ah well, outside of my control.
    Might consider jumping straight into A3 next year if thats the case, opens up more opportunities for stage races etc. I will have several races under my belt at that stage so will not be a complete newbie.
    I do hear a lot of moans from A3 riders about Juniors taking all the placings:) The majority should really be up in the A2s but i can understand why they would want to develop them at an early age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Cheers Ryath. Yeah annoying alright, they essentially got a handy 1 or 2mins on us until we could get going again. Results seem to have stood, ah well, outside of my control.
    Might consider jumping straight into A3 next year if thats the case, opens up more opportunities for stage races etc. I will have several races under my belt at that stage so will not be a complete newbie.
    I do hear a lot of moans from A3 riders about Juniors taking all the placings:) The majority should really be up in the A2s but i can understand why they would want to develop them at an early age.

There is a crop of savage juniors at the moment a few of which are far better than most A1, which can only be good for racing and the sport, and lets be honest if you cant get points in an A3 race regardless of who's racing then you do not deserve to be A2.

• Advertisement

Ok last week of real training before FF. Threw in a slightly bigger week and more intensity than i normally would, in particular on the swim. TBH work has been slightly nuts again the last week but just was a bit more selfish with my time. Up to Thurs/Fri i was feeling really tired but over the weekend i have really started to come around.

In total just over 13hrs for the week split as,
    Swim: 6hr15/20.3km (biggest ever swim week)
    Bike: 4hr50/161.7kms
    Run: 2hr10/28kms

Some standout sessions for the week was a tough turbo holding some efforts between threshold and above/around 300w, felt strong on the bike.
    A big a$$ longest swim set which was sort of unplanned. All with pb, 5x400s, 10x200s and 20x100s. 6k of swimming had my shoulders and arms pretty tired for a day after.

Saturday was an easy 2.5hr bike with some shortish efforts thrown in. Straight onto the treadmill for a run and was feeling good.
    Today was probably the best session of the lot and had me feeling the benefits of some freshness coming back into the body. 2k ow swim in the local lake whilst Michelle and the kids played about. Held 2.05 pace which is probably the best i can hope for. Straight onto the tt bike with full race setup. I have a loan of race wheels which have seen some of the fastest AG bike splits and the fastest Irish IM time, pity i dont have the legs to go with them:)
    1.5hr on the bike and had planned to keep it at IM effort, no ill effect from the swim and the numbers much higher than what i have been training at, i was holding 230w comfortably and averaged 38.8kmph for the 1.5hr.
    Good bike and onto the treddie for a 40min/9.1km run. Felt really good and a good bit of time visualising next weeks race.

So next weeks race. This is the first year i am doing IM where i have not been overly focussed and the reduced training load and approach may actually suit me for a change. I have been my own worst enemy in the past putting myself under pressure and allowing external influences put pressure on me. This is probably the first IM i am doing for me with the sole focus of getting around safely and without incident. I want to put what happened in FF last year behind me and get to the bloody finish line this time.

No idea of times and splits and an awful lot of my day will come down to how i come out of the swim. With previous swim motion issues this can have a huge bearing on the rest of my race.

Likely scenarios
    Swim: Best case 75min realistically 80min as swim volume well down on previous years.
    Bike: Best IM bike split has been 5:19 off 180w, not in the best bike shape but if i come out of the swim like i did on this evenings session it could be anything from 5:20 to 5:45
    Run: Bar this weekend my running has been woeful, best case to match my previous IM pb of 3:35 and likely more realistic 3:45/50.

So thats it, roll on next week and a bit of fun and a long day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

FYI I am NOT eating burger king in the airport no matter what you and Cranston want. and bring your booster seat this time, you are not seating on my lap so you can see out the window of the airplane.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Stay away from seafood and angry swimmers, take your travel sickness tablets, and please, for the love of god, give us a good race to track. (Race number would be handy)

bon chance, race well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Have a fab weekend and race!!! Woo hoo!!! Really enjoy this one, JB.....with no frickin' pressure or expectations!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

Best of luck Fran. I'll be tracking you closely. Enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Faith in you man , do it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Best of luck this weekend Fran. Enjoy it!

tunney wrote: »
    FYI I am NOT eating burger king in the airport no matter what you and Cranston want. and bring your booster seat this time, you are not seating on my lap so you can see out the window of the airplane.
    I think it was you who wanted the BK from memory! Aisle seat for me.
    Oryx wrote: »
    Stay away from seafood and angry swimmers, take your travel sickness tablets, and please, for the love of god, give us a good race to track. (Race number would be handy)

bon chance, race well.
    Cheers my lady, 0274.
    Have a fab weekend and race!!! Woo hoo!!! Really enjoy this one, JB.....with no frickin' pressure or expectations!!! :)
    I certainly will

Almost most of my gear packed up which is a job in itself. Hopefully get out at a reasonable hour in work today and spin the legs on the road bike tonight.

I was out for a short easy run last night which felt like a long hard run, nothing unusual there in race week so:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

All the best Fran, hope the ribs survive and you don't get food poisoning. If they materialise you should have a good day :)

• Advertisement

Really hope all goes well for you Fran. Best of luck and enjoy.

Advertisement