Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ah i am booked into the Maldron, no doubt i will catch up with the Queen of Wexford for a coffee when i am down that way:)

Oooh! Oooh! Im all excited now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Oryx wrote: »

I sense an affair coming on!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Ah i am booked into the Maldron, no doubt i will catch up with the Queen of Wexford for a coffee when i am down that way:)
    tunney wrote: »
    I sense an affair coming on!

Sounds like a rumor, doesn't it? Which begs the question: can we start its own thread on the main page?? And more importantly, will it be a threesome with Bambaata in attendance?? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Sounds like a rumor, doesn't it? Which begs the question: can we start its own thread on the main page?? And more importantly, will it be a threesome with Bambaata in attendance?? ;)

HAHA, let it slip to the wife over the weekend about Jackyback staying in a hotel with "some bird with nice legs". Then just wait for her to tell Mrs Jackyback.

Won't mention the bambatta bit, she knows mrs bambatta and knows how well she was bambatta trained, still calls it "the best wedding I was ever at, better than ours Dave"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Filthy minds on this log, shame on you Tunney & Dory....sure myself & Oryx have been at it for years:)

Bambatta can find his own hoochie to have coffee with!

• Advertisement

Hey! I would accuse you lot of defamation of character, if I had a character to defame. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hey! I would accuse you lot of defamation of character, if I had a character to defame. :(

Ah but who needs character when you've got nice legs!!

Week commencing 04/08/14
    16hrs 22mins
    465.45kms
    28.4kmph avg
    10,240kj of work
    1,109 TSS

Three key sessions, another league race and a long hilly endurance ride.

Session #1 - Short, hard & hurty session. I was due to do 7 of the 40sec on/20 sec off but the legs were drowning in lactic at that stage. On ERG mode and after WU it was 7x20sec on and 40sec off (on 450w) 3min rec, 7x30sec on and 30sec off (on 425w) 3min rec
    5x40sec on and 20sec off (on 400w) 3min rec and 5x1 on and 1 off. Solid session, close to puking at one stage. 249w for the hour which was the first sign that my FTP was on the move back up after two weeks of training.

Session #2 - BG climbing Alpe DHuez on the wahoo trainer. The video simulation and load applied by the wahoo kickr trainer is simply unreal. The sections of 18% really felt like 18%. Another solid session and just locked in 245w for over the hour, tried to stay seated for most of it but could not on the steep bits.

League race HC - Was feeling a little tired from a mad day at work but wanted to do much better than last week. On the winter hack with no power for this one as Tunney was fitting a groupset to the race bike.
    Really good effort, drove the pace high in our group and opened up a gap on the other 8 in the group to bridge across to the group up the road with a few k to go.
    With about 5k to go the A1 types came up and i made another big effort to bridge to a lone rider who went off the front, we were however brought back quick enough. With 2k to go the bunch was all together fighting for position. I found myself boxed in and drifting toward the back but was trying to get out to contest the sprint as the legs felt good. Found a gap on the inside and it was my original intention just to position myself up near the front for the sprint. I made another big push and to my surprise the power and the legs were there. Put the head down and drilled it, opened up about 20mtrs on the galloping peleton.
    I thought there was about 600 to go when i made the effort but to my disgust i rolled past the 1k marker (had jumped around 1.2k out) kept plugging away but the bunch swallowed me up with about 500 to go. No idea of power but i would say decent enough, 40kmph avg overall.
    Need to time the move better next time but a lot of positives to take away to be able to put in 3 explosive efforts in the closing stages, being able to jump away from my own group and move away from the gallop in the closing stages!!

Session 3 - Headed down to the mothers on Sat. Plan was to race Michelle & kids down in the car (with a headstart):P Session was over/under threshold efforts, 10 easy/10 sweetspot/10 @ 110-115% FTP. Tough session but the legs were working well today, 70.5k in a shade over 2 hours for 35kmph avg and a pleasing 241w for the 2hrs.

Today was a long leisurely ride with friends taking in some of the local(ish) climbs, overall effort was easy but i felt the weeks sessions in the legs on all three climbs. We climbed the mast from the steep side, flagstaff and slieve gullion to finish off for good measure. Epic and enjoyable 6hrs with coffee @ lunch thrown in.

Overall a solid week and next week will see less volume and intensity with Wexford on next weekend. Training going well and really enjoying the bike focus. Some of the tougher sessions are starting to reap rewards, at a guess i would say FTP is back up around 260-265w, probably had dropped to 240 after IM and holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

good days climbing there. I bloody hate the mast.

RJM85 wrote: »
    good days climbing there. I bloody hate the mast.

Yep it's like climbing a wall from the carrickdale side. Does not help that I tried to drop somone at the start and blew my legs off for the rest of it. The sheep on the descent were trying to take a closer look at my bike on the way down :)

Close on 2000mtrs of elevation gain total.

• Advertisement

Wexford Staffords 2 day/3 stage race

I had only decided to do this race about 2 weeks ago. I was due to race DCT but fancied a bit of bike racing instead with a view to gaining a bit more race experience for next season.
    I had a 3 week block of bike focussed training to knock some ring rust off 4 weeks of no training, over eating and holidays. My initial hope was to get around and not get dropped but after hitting some decent sessions over the three weeks and bumping my wattage back up to post IMFF levels (260w & regaining about 20/25w)
    Headed down with Liam who was doing the A1 and booked into the Maldron which was handy to the start of each stage.
    I had secret aspirations of a stage placing and possibly top 10 in GC all going well, but as i know now you need things to run your way.

Stage 1 - 74k
    A lumpy old route with one decent climb which dragged a bit and had two steep sections. It was a 2 lap route passing the start/finish area 4 times. The first hour or so was like a weekend coffee & cake spin, pace was slow and everyone seemed to be afraid to ride with a view to saving the legs for that evenings TT. It was the most negative race i have been in to date!

I was trying to encourage a few to attempt a break, i reckon 4 or 5 strong lads would have easily got up the road and put some time into the bunch given how slow and negative the racing was.
    Out of frustration and hope that someone might come across i made a solo break with about 20k to go. Easily opened up a decent gap and just set a strong tempo waiting for someone to bridge up, one or two lads tried but never made it across to me. After a few minutes i sat up and drifted back to the bunch as there was no way i was going to solo 20k to the finish.

Up the last climb and the bunch blew apart, a guy in front slipped a chain and i came to a standstill. Gaps opened up everywhere and about a third of the field got dropped at that point. I rode tempo for about 2 to 3k and got back on as it kicked up the last part of the climb.
    With about 4k to go things were getting messy setting up for the sprint, guys doing stupid things. About 1k to go i was moving up into a decent position and was well set up for the sprint until a guy comes across me and rubs my front wheel and i nearly go down. I stay up but have lost pace, get going again and with about 600 to go i am squeezed with a van on the right hand side of the road which knocks the pace off again, try again but too far back for the placings and never got going full gas.....dissapointing!
    Stage 1 – 201w AP / 261w NP, i had it at 74k and not 78k as listed, a slow 36kmph avg.

Stage 2 - 3.6km Hill TT
    This can simply be described as pure painful, 9mins of suffering. Started off well but really struggled in the last 400mtrs when the road kicked up again, i think this is were i lost a good bit of time. Had thought i had held 380w up the climb from the head unit but had only held 325w after loading up the watch this morning.
    Gave away over a min to Bambatta who took the stage win and lost valuable time on others which left me down in 35th in GC and the 33rd fastest on the stage.
    Too fat and too slow on the climbs but gave it everything i had.
    Stage 2 - 313w AP / 325w NP

Stage 3 - 78k + 12k neutralised
    The plan today was to just set a very strong tempo which would suit Bambatta and i also thought a higher tempo from Saturdays race might drop a few out the back and i could climb up a few places in the GC.
    From the drop of the flag i went to the front and kept the pace honest sharing the pace setting with a handful of others. We were moving along well at 43kmph for the first half hour.
    Any time i felt the pace slow down i would just keep riding to the front and lifting the pace, my thoughts "if its hurting me its bound to be hurting them". It started to rain and the weather was getting a bit brutal, loved it! About 50k in (62k total) i noticed bodies were starting to tire, so done a big stint at the front, bunch was lined out and i think a few started to drop off.
    Bambatta was still in good shape and keeping in 5th or 6th wheel. 2 lads went up the road and i was caught in two minds to try get away with them or drag them back for Ed. When i jumped i heard Ed shout something which i figured was one of them was in the running for GC, went up to the two and brought them back to the bunch.
    Coming into the closing stages i had decided not to contest the sprint, i figured with the wet roads and tired bunch it was a recipe for disaster. I actually found myself in a decent position by accident so changed my mind:o unfortuneatly the wheels in front were exploding and i did not have a clear run in and never got into 4th gear, rolled in with the top 20.
    Ed kept the yellow and i got a decent 2hrs racing into the legs. Whilst i did manage to drop about 10 off the back and 6dnfs on the stage unfortuneatly most were already down on time and i only moved up to 30th overall in GC, 1.12 down which was all down to the poor TT result.
    Stage 3 - exc neutral - 216w AP / 257w NP, 38kmph avg.

Overall it was a good weekend of racing and a well run race. I did not get any result or achieve any personal goals but some breakthrough numbers with new peak power over 1min,2min,5min,6min,10min,60min and 90min.
    Reckon I need to adjust my FTP up again as held 267w NP for 1.5hrs and 261w NP for over 2hrs, Not sure what to adjust FTP by, had been working off 260w, possibly 275w to keep sessions relevant. Hopefully will try and get another few races in and finish up with Laragh.

Well done to Liam on the 6th place in A1 GC and Ed for the A4 GC win. Well done Wexford Wheelers on a well run event.
    Bike racing is great fun!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Thanks for your help Fran. I really enjoyed that 3rd stage. It was good fun having to try ride smartly and then start covering breaks towards the end. Fortunately ye had done a great job through the stage that i felt amazing in that last 20/25k when i started to ride proper. Stage 1 was a nightmare alright, it was dangerous with the stop start stop start stop stop stop! Fortunately the tempo ye set with mainly SERC lads on stage 3 had it much more even through, there were only minor stalls in it which ye remedied pretty quick :)

Where was the hill climb?

Bambaata wrote: »
    Thanks for your help Fran. I really enjoyed that 3rd stage. It was good fun having to try ride smartly and then start covering breaks towards the end. Fortunately ye had done a great job through the stage that i felt amazing in that last 20/25k when i started to ride proper. Stage 1 was a nightmare alright, it was dangerous with the stop start stop start stop stop stop! Fortunately the tempo ye set with mainly SERC lads on stage 3 had it much more even through, there were only minor stalls in it which ye remedied pretty quick :)

You owe me a pint next time i see you :). Yes enjoyed the third stage much more than the first, proper racing as it should be.
    Yeah those 2 serc lads done a good job pacing with me, assuming i have the right club that big guy was some unit for driving the pace on the flats!!
    Where was the hill climb?
    http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2805880/
    Not super hilly but it was hilly enough to hurt.

I am toying with the idea of doing Charleville 3 stage race in 2 weeks, not much racing left this season but want to finish the season off well.

Id love to go Charleville but wont be happening unfortunately. I think postal entry could be closing today though??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

if you;re doing charleville let me know, Close enough to me, i'll soigneur for you, no massages though..

Id love to go Charleville but wont be happening unfortunately. I think postal entry could be closing today though??
    Are you away or focussing on HIM training? Entry extended to this Friday, entry gone off already.
    mossym wrote: »
    if you;re doing charleville let me know, Close enough to me, i'll soigneur for you, no massages though..
    Yeah heading down just before the start on Sat and back up the road on Sun after the stage. Are you not a Limerick culchie?

Ah im HIM focused now. Although im after picking up a cold!!! Just a sore throat at the moment but i only got over the same about 5 weeks ago

Yeah heading down just before the start on Sat and back up the road on Sun after the stage. Are you not a Limerick culchie?

the cheek of it. live in Killaloe/Ballina, on the clare/tipp border. 20 minutes north of limerick. Charleville less than an hour away, might bring the little one down to see the race, but after that insult we'll be cheering on the opposition..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

mossym wrote: »
    ...live in Killaloe/Ballina, on the clare/tipp border...

Not the slightest bit schizo that town :rolleyes:

Great hills though in fairness.

• Advertisement

AKW wrote: »
    Not the slightest bit schizo that town :rolleyes:

Great hills though in fairness.

You can't imagine what it is like being from one side of the bridge (clare) originally and now living on the other (tipp) side

Week commencing 25/08/14
    11hrs 9mins
    316.6kms
    28.4kmph avg
    7,247kj of work
    683 TSS

Last weeks training took a bit of a backseat as a lot going on at the moment. Still managed to get 11hrs training in and it acted as a good outlet to relieve some of life stresses.

Quality sessions were,
    1) 2x20min around new threshold figures based on the previous weeks race weekend. Held 280w for both and it felt about right. Only about 20w shy of my peak bike fitness (pre Roth 12) which i am happy enough with coming to the end of the season.
    2) 2hr turbo at the weekend seen 2x30min segments at sweet spot 240-250w, found this a bit tough.
    3) Managed to get a 4hr ride in with 12x20sec all out sprints rolling every 3mins, they came in at 1. 691w, 2. 770w, 3. 675w, 4. 795w, 5. 626w, 6. 710w, 7. 734w, 8. 686w, 9. 669w, 10. 632w, 11. 646w, 12. 712w. My legs were toast after them but still had 2hrs of riding to do after the efforts. Took in a few climbs and rode some of them over threshold 300w+. Nice few kms to get in and 226w for the 4hrs, forgot about work for a while!

Charleville this weekend and hoping for a respectable result, certainly feeling a little stronger on the bike so i will see what happens.

Best of luck at Charleville, id love to be doing it but not unfortunately.

Crazy week boi, but heading to Cork in the morning boi. 2nd last race of the season and whilst not in the humour for it right now I am sure I will be when the start rolls around.

Crazy week boi, but heading to Cork in the morning boi. 2nd last race of the season and whilst not in the humour for it right now I am sure I will be when the start rolls around.

You'll be pure flyin once the adrenalin kicks in, boi.

Top 10! Keep her lit!

In a heap, was at the doctors this morning. Eye drops for the eyes (conjunctivitis in both eyes, itchy as hell) and tonsillitis/bacterial infection so on antibiotics for that, chest,throat,eyes raw.

Feel like I have been kicked by a mule, my muscles are so sore this morning after racing at the weekend. Note to self: don't race when sick:o

So in good shape then!!

Hope you at least enjoyed the race?? Get well soon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

In a heap, was at the doctors this morning. Eye drops for the eyes (conjunctivitis in both eyes, itchy as hell) and tonsillitis/bacterial infection so on antibiotics for that, chest,throat,eyes raw.

Feel like I have been kicked by a mule, my muscles are so sore this morning after racing at the weekend. Note to self: don't race when sick:o

Did ye enjoy it though?!

• Advertisement

So in good shape then!!

Hope you at least enjoyed the race?? Get well soon.
    Did ye enjoy it though?!

Yeah I enjoyed it, great race and nice routes.

Advertisement