Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chasing the Kona dream and a Mai Tai cocktail

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Charleville 2 Day Race
    I had not planned on doing this race but I was keen as mustard to get back to doing another stage race after my experience in Wexford two weeks prior. Work had been busy since the holidays and I had started to feel a bit run down the back end of the week but thought I would be ok to race so travelled down early Saturday morning.

Stage 1 – 86.4km stage
    With an evening TT scheduled and me feeling a little off this stage came and went quick enough. Like Wexford it started off very easy so I decided to sit mostly in the middle of the bunch conserving energy and keeping myself off the front. We had 3 loops to the course with a decent drag on each loop which split the bunch up a little but I managed to hold my own but found the surges a little harder to deal with than normal.

I had intended to do what 99% of the A4 group do, hide and then contest the sprint. With about 3k to go I started to try move up towards the front but was finding it difficult to get space. Ended up not getting a good/clear run in and never got up to contest the final sprint, never got going full gas.

Entirely my fault for leaving it as late to move up, rolled over in 30th place in mid bunch. No point having decent sprinting legs if you never position yourself to use them, half the battle is getting yourself into the right position on the right wheels.
    192AP/252NP

Stage 2 – 6.2km flat tt stage

The warning signs the health was not 100% started to show up from the earlier stage. I actually fell asleep between stages and awoke 40mins before the start and was not feeling the love for going out and hammering myself again. Thankfully the tt start was only 2k away so got my gear together and headed off on the tt bike for a quick warm up to see what I could do.

Lining up on the flat route and the aim was just go out hard, push harder and hold on for dear life, having seen the Wexford 2 day decided by the TT result I needed to make sure I stayed in contention. I had a gap in front so no minute man to chase down but on we went.

I tear off (in too big a gear oops) and settle into tt mode. First 2mins pass and I am hurting and breathing heavy, 4mins pass and I was past 3k and going well holding 44kmph but the legs and chest were hurting. The road surface was dead and I was finding it difficult to get on top of my usual big gear and was spinning at a higher cadence than normal.

I knew pace & power was starting to drop a little but was giving it everything, finish line in sight and pushed hard to the line for 6.2km in 8.57, 41.4kmph and 9th fastest time which left me 9th in GC heading into the last stage. 1st had a savage tt in 8.12 but 2nd to 9th were only separated by 20secs, so a lot of what ifs if I was a 100% as could have been closer.
    Held 339w AP and 341w NP so numbers wise not so bad.

Stage 3 – 80.2km hilly stage with 2x7.5km climbs up Glenanarr

If I was not in a hole after stage 1 I was certainly in a hole after stage 2. Woke up on Sunday morning and I was in a bad way, eyes swollen, red & sore. Throat and chest raw and generally I was feeling awful. Headed down for brekkie and could not stomach much. I felt light headed and out of breath going up two flights of stairs and decided racing today would be stupid. Packed up the gear and decided to head home!
    Instead of taking a right for Dublin I somehow found myself taking a left for Charleville and 20mins later I was standing in my race gear with my bike at race HQ. Do as I say not as I do comes to mind!

I had been looking forward to this stage when I seen the route maps. I knew the two climbs at 3% avg grade over 7.5km would suit me (on a good day). I knew it would be carnage out there today and that the bunch would be split it up on the first and in particular the second passing of the climb.

Off we rolled and thankfully pace was steady enough heading off. I decided to keep myself close to the front to watch for breaks, in fact I found myself accidently in a group of 4 off the front only after a few km. I did not fully commit to it and we were brought back in quick enough.

First 25k passed and I was struggling a bit, I knew the climb was coming up and tried to keep myself up near the front to give me some sliding space. Unfortunately it did not work out that way. I was near the back when the climb started and the front bunch went up it hard. I got distanced early and was blowing hard, just got the head down and started to pass a few and just about caught back on to the front bunch around 3k into the climb. The pace was lifted again and they opened up another few metres on me. I was in desperation mode watching a top ten placing going up the road and could do nothing about it.

Finally got to the top and I think they had 30secs on me, it flattened out at the top for a bit before the decent. Started drilling it with a DW lad on my wheel, the DW car was in front and I shouted at them faster faster. Overtook the car, left the DW rider behind and descended like a madman. There was a sharp left and right which I near came off on but just about kept it upright. Coming to the end of the descent there was a t junction and I just seen the last of the cavalcade turning right. Carried too much pace into this and near came off again. Chased hard for another couple of km and got between the cars and eventually back on to a much smaller front bunch (looked about half)

I did not have long to recover before it was time to go up the climb a second time. I was really hurting now and just focussed on not losing that much time going up a second time, I was not going down without a fight. The bunch exploded yet again, just when I thought I was back the guy in front would lose the wheel. Guys were getting blown out the back. I got back on 2 or 3 times but halfway up I was toast and breathing really heavily.
    Over the top with about 4 others and no sign off the front bunch and I knew there was 2 or 3 bunches behind. 20k to go and I knew it was time to put the head down and try get back on. The 4 other lads worked well together and there was one wexford wheeler vet and another cork lad who were shouting lets go lets go and were doing their fair share of work. Still no sign of the bunch but we were encouraged when our group started to swell to about 10 as we picked up riders who had been spat out the back. I had figured the lads in the front were keeping the pace very high. I asked a few marshals we passed how far the gap was and was getting conflicting info from 20secs to 2mins.

Eventually we ended up back on the 6k tt stage and I seen the front bunch ahead on a long stretch of road, figured they had about 30-40secs? By now it was me and another lad taking turns, I was shouting at others to take a turn as desperate to close the gap and chances of holding onto a top 10. Nobody came up or they couldn’t. Never closed the gap and crossed the line in a mess, disgusted to have lost time but knowing I could not have given any more. This stage had it all; it was just bloody epic and savage hard given my condition. Ended up losing 55secs which was enough to drop me out of the top 10 and down to 30th odd place.
    212AP/256NP

So another weekend of racing in the legs, I went down to Cork with the intention of top 10 and a possible stage placing, not to be. Focus for this week is to get better, recover and hopefully be back to full health for Laragh, the last race of the season. I don’t think I have enjoyed racing as much since I switched to a pure bike focus!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

In a heap, was at the doctors this morning. Eye drops for the eyes (conjunctivitis in both eyes, itchy as hell) and tonsillitis/bacterial infection so on antibiotics for that, chest,throat,eyes raw.

Feel like I have been kicked by a mule, my muscles are so sore this morning after racing at the weekend. Note to self: don't race when sick:o

I bet your note to self will be forgotten once you finish your course of antibiotics and have recovered :pac:

Speedy recovery

pgibbo wrote: »
    I bet your note to self will be forgotten once you finish your course of antibiotics and have recovered :pac:

Speedy recovery

In fairness if I had been as bad Sat eve or Sun morning on the Fri I would have skipped the race. When you are halfway in a hole best to keep digging:pac:

3 days off the bike, might try an easy cycle tomorrow to see how the body reacts. Hopeful to still race Laragh Classic on Sunday but will wait and see.

A week of nothing as sickness took a hold, just about finishing up the course of antibiotics i am on. It is suprising how much longer it takes the muscles to recover whilst sick, it took about four days to recover from last weekends racing in Charleville.

Two cycles for the week, one on the Friday and a sportive on the Sunday. I decided not to race Laragh which was due to be the last race of the season and opted for what i thought but be an easy leisureley sportive, or so Dolan led me to believe.

I realised i was not over the lurgy when i got dropped from the front pack of speedsters who thought they were battling it out for a TDF stage win up Alpe DHuez! A painfully hard 3hrs followed (with 1.5hr of that no far off threshold) which was mostly covered solo in no mans land. To add to the misery a bunch rode up to me with about 2k to go, i had been left dangling out on my own all day:o. Not an enjoyable cycle at all, the next time a donkey farmer suggests going for an easy sportive cycle he is lying!!

My end of season in reality started last week, likely kick back into structured in the first week of Oct. Might stick up a review of the year and thoughts on next year....if i can be ar$ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

A week of nothing as sickness took a hold, just about finishing up the course of antibiotics i am on. It is suprising how much longer it takes the muscles to recover whilst sick, it took about four days to recover from last weekends racing in Charleville.

Two cycles for the week, one on the Friday and a sportive on the Sunday. I decided not to race Laragh which was due to be the last race of the season and opted for what i thought but be an easy leisureley sportive, or so Dolan led me to believe.

I realised i was not over the lurgy when i got dropped from the front pack of speedsters who thought they were battling it out for a TDF stage win up Alpe DHuez! A painfully hard 3hrs followed (with 1.5hr of that no far off threshold) which was mostly covered solo in no mans land. To add to the misery a bunch rode up to me with about 2k to go, i had been left dangling out on my own all day:o. Not an enjoyable cycle at all, the next time a donkey farmer suggests going for an easy sportive cycle he is lying!!

My end of season in reality started last week, likely kick back into structured in the first week of Oct. Might stick up a review of the year and thoughts on next year....if i can be ar$ed.

Probably was an easy spin for Dolan

• Advertisement

RJM85 wrote: »
    Probably was an easy spin for Dolan

Easy spin for Dolan usually means tempo spin for me:)

End of season review....the short version!
    Going back to the start of the season the plan was to take time and goal pressures off, have some fun and get some enjoyment back into it. To some extent thats pretty much what i have done this year given the time limitations i have with work etc, its been a fun season with plenty of races.

Some highlights for the season
    I got to enjoy and suffer like a pig in the London Marathon,
    I got myself a 5k pb
    I got myself a sprint tri pb
    I got the opportunity to finally cross the finish line in IMFF and collect my third IM finishers medal, whilst the time was brutal that day was really satisfying
    I got to compete in a number of low key run and tri races and had some fun
    I gained some good racing experience on the bike which was really enjoyable especially the multi day stage formats of Wexford & Charleville.
    I raced more than i have in any other season, learning not to put all the eggs in the one basket.
    Overall its been fun.

So next year there will be no running, swimming or tri. Pure bike focus to see what i can do on the bike. It suits me anyway as i can easily fit in 10hrs+ of cycling a week without taking much out of me.
    I will wait until the calendar comes out to decide on some target races but i certainly want to do the RAS. I just think next year would be a year or two too soon for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

I hope you keep updating your log as I for one am very interested in how you get on with the bike racing next year.

Solobally8 wrote: »
    I hope you keep updating your log as I for one am very interested in how you get on with the bike racing next year.

Glad I have at least one person interested with my ramblings:)
    Another off week next week and I will be kicking back into some structured training.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Glad I have at least one person interested with my ramblings:)
    Another off week next week and I will be kicking back into some structured training.

You know we all hang on your every word. Stop fishing for compliments.

• Advertisement

Oryx wrote: »
    You know we all hang on your every word. Stop fishing for compliments.

Not fishing at all, promise :)
    Bike racing not half as glamorous as tri, hard to keep people interested and engaged as most race reports are near identical.

2nd week of unstructured done & dusted, very little done for the week. Was out in Octoberfest yesterday drinking buckets of beer, needless to say I am rough as hell today.

Itching to get going and get stuck into a winter of tough turbos but will hold off for another week. I do however have about 550k of cycling planned over 3 days as away next weekend with the cycling club

Belfast this year? By all accounts they're fun weekends. I must go on one some year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hey I'll stay tuned in Fran..

What's the plan for the off season?

Belfast this year? By all accounts they're fun weekends. I must go on one some year.

Yeah up in Belfast but taking the Friday off and heading off and about on a long ramble, cycle up there Saturday and back the Sunday.
    Hey I'll stay tuned in Fran..

What's the plan for the off season?

The plan is to drink gallons or Erdinger and eat all round me:pac:, i ticked that box on Saturday. Just unwinding before launching into a winter of work. Eager to start back from today but i will allow myself another week of indulgence. I had considered some "messing" races but i have been away enough racing in the last few weeks.

Enjoy

Last week seen the last of the "unstructured phase" of training, otherwise known as the eat/drink as much as you want and cycle to a pub or a cafe for refreshment.

Managed to fit in over 500kms of cycling between Friday and Sunday, not to mention a skinful of pints. Friday was a 200k spin into a headwind as it was point to point. I died a slow death after 120k and the last 80k was a case of putting the head down and looking at Dolans back wheel. the carrot on the stick was the seafood chowder and guinness that awaited the other side.

Saturday there was a few more heads to share the work and i found this ride much easier, another 200k spin. Saturday night seen more pints consumed with the good wife and a good few couples from the club. Sunday was only a little spin at 110k, basically felt like a half day:).

Those 3 days knocked a bit of ring rust off and its time to get back into a proper routine. Thankfully no social events planned for the next month at least so back into some normality.

Weighed in at 73.2kg this morning so a good 5kg heavier than where i would like to be at. Plan for this week will be two tough turbos with some work and the rest of the week will be a mix of easy and HC stuff.

Glad to be back at it!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Glad to be back at it!

Echo that, starting back myself today too.

best of luck with it Fran, will be interesting to see how the winter goes with the sole sport focus

Hope the winter goes well and you're set up nicely for next year.

Is the plan to race for the upgrade to A3 or start next year as an A3?

Hope the winter goes well and you're set up nicely for next year.

Is the plan to race for the upgrade to A3 or start next year as an A3?

Cheers R

No starting in A3 as nothing to be gained by racing A4 next year as I find the racing generally negative and the longer distances of A3 and more breaks should hopefully suit me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Cheers R

No starting in A3 as nothing to be gained by racing A4 next year as I find the racing generally negative and the longer distances of A3 and more breaks should hopefully suit me.

plus the few people i know that went straight into a3 rather than through a4 first were sure it was safer with less crashes, people knew what they were at. always good to come home with you and bike in the same number of pieces you left in,(even if you are in bits :) )

• Advertisement

There's a bit more racing in the A3 races alright (although mostly by the juniors - you should see the mess that is the A3 national champs every year!).

I thought rollers would be a simple device to just jump on the bike and off you go...how wrong was I. Two falls and counting:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I thought rollers would be a simple device to just jump on the bike and off you go...how wrong was I. Two falls and counting:p

Two Three words....

Youtube
    Click Bait

Mon 29th - 45min 150w easy recovery ride on the turbo, flushing the legs out from a big weekend of cycling. Things are a little tender below!

Tues 30th - Switched a BG turbo session to later in the week and changed it with some VO2 intervals on the turbo. 6x3mins @ 320w, they stung a little but i was expecting that to be the case. The aim is to work these efforts up in reps/duration/power output over the next few weeks and months. 55min - 212wAP/244wNP

Wed 01st - 45min easy, low HR/high cadence spinning out the legs on the new rollers. Fell off and bashed my knee off the desk. These will take a while to master and gain some confidence. Have these setup in the spare office next door in work so will be handy to get some easy cycling in if weather conditions at lunchtime are brutal.

I have been commuting in/out of work for the last number of weeks. The short commute is a massive 4km and the long way home a huge 11km. In the grand scheme of things it does not seem like much but could be between 40k or 110k of additional easy kms a week which can only be a good thing....and reduce my carbon footprint;)

Diet has been squeaky clean so far this week although fighting the urge to hit the biscuit tin in the evenings!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I hear best place is to get used to rollers in a doorway so you can't fall off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I have been commuting in/out of work for the last number of weeks. The short commute is a massive 4km and the long way home a huge 11km. In the grand scheme of things it does not seem like much but could be between 40k or 110k of additional easy kms a week which can only be a good thing....and reduce my carbon footprint;)

I have a massive 2k! Still quicker than driving/walking.

AKW wrote: »
    I hear best place is to get used to rollers in a doorway so you can't fall off.

Yeah, doorway is the best to get used to them

Flights booked away for after Xmas flying into Malaga. Undecided on basing ourselves in Nerja, Marbella, Feungirola or Benamedena.
    Bike booked and the aim will be early morning cycles and back before the kids know i have been out.

Anyone cycled or holidayed around these areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Nice! If you happen to go around the white villages, north of Gibraltar, then you have some serious climbing available!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Im hoping to borrow rollers. Youre not filling me with confidence.

Advertisement