Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New office PC specs?

Options
  • 05-08-2010 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Looking for some advice on specs/purchase. The company I am working for is looking to upgrade to new machines, that will do for the next 3 - 5 years. Mostly running MS Office and similar programs for administration, etc. Machines are connected to large network with MS servers (not sure exactly what type).

The cost is not really an issue (but will have to be reasonably good in value for money stakes), more the specs (although it still has to be an office machine, and not for gaming, etc). I have come up with this, although admittedly it is from Dell.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 (3GHz, 1333MHz, 6MB), VTx
    Base: OptiPlex 780 MT : Standard Base Mini Tower Chassis [IMG][/img]Monitor: Dell E-series E2210H 21,5" 55 cm Wide monitor VGA,DVI-D, (1920x1080) Blk UK/I
    Keyboard: Enhanced Quietkey USB Spacesaver Black keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY)
    Mouse: Dell Optical (Not Wireless), Scroll USB (3 buttons scroll) Black Mouse
    Hard Drive: 320GB 3.5inch Serial ATA (7,200rpm) Single Hard Drive
    Optical Devices: 16X DVD+/-RW Drive
    Video Card: 256MB ATI RADEON HD 3450 Graphics Dual DVI and TV Out
    Energy Star 5.0®: Energy E-Smart enable

Software would be handled by IT. Any advice on the spec, and if it could be improved, within the overall package/role.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I'd get 16:10 monitors.

And discrete graphics seems unnecessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Chuck Finlay

Hello, people of Ireland :)

you are on the right path with a dual core processor for an office machine, however the E8400 currently is heavily overpriced.
    Basically there are 2 ways to go:

1. The AMD route
    CPU: Athlon II X2 240 or X2 245
    Mainboard: Gigabyte GMA880-UD2H, MSI 880GMA-E45 or Asus M4A88T-M/USB3, all with integrated graphics and USB 3.0 support

2. The Intel route
    CPU: Pentium G69xx or Core i3-5xx
    Mainboard: Asus P7H55/USB3 or Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3, both with integrated graphics through CPU and chipset and USB 3.0 support

You will only need a designated graphics card if you want to use additional screens or ulitize high-performance applications (CAD?), which doesn't seem to be the case.
    2GB DDR3 RAM should be enough (OCZ/Kingston/GEIL/GSkill), since RAM is quite expensive since a year already. If you really need more, add more later, i suggest. Don't go higher than 1333MHz or lower than CL9, it just adds up to the price for almost no performance for an office PC.
    As far as the HDD goes, I can recommend a WD Caviar Blue/Green. Though maybe people will object here for a Samsung F3 Ecogreen.
    You will need a case. Good and cheap choices are the Cooler Master Elite, Cooler Master Centurion 5, Sharkoon Rebel 9 or Xigmatek Asgard series, all of which come with at least 1 preinstalled case fan.
    Speaking of the fan: The standard CPU-cooler that comes with the boxed version of the CPU will do the job. If you want it to be more quiet for not so much money, the Cooler Master Hyper TX3 or the Scythe Katana 3 could be considered, since theyr'e quite cheap.
    On top of that, any small PSU from a good manufacturer will be sufficient for this machine, like Cougar A 300, Enermax Eco80+ 350, Seasonic S12II 380 or be quiet Pure Power 300. Go for a 350W if you maybe want to add another graphics card later.

Just my 2 c :)

Edit: Uh, you might want a cardreader, which sure comes in quite handy for office use. Ultron UCR75, for instance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭zappb

Chuck - very good recommendations - really nice kit for office machines, but i think its best to use cheapish dells/lenovos for this type of thing.

I'd go Dell or Lenovo, or go to someone like www.marxcomputers.ie that will build and support however many computers to a custom spec - thats what we use in the office (except for my home built Lian Li monstrosity hehe but not need to break you heart building and supporting your own hardware builds)

Just get dells with Core i3 530's - much more future proofed, and look good,

no need for usb 3 - this sounds like an accountants office or admin type place just word excel and light weight apps right?

Advertisement