Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a dermatologist in the city centre?

Options
  • 05-08-2010 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Does anyone know of a dermatologist that they'd recommend. Preferably one whose surgery is based in the city centre as I don't have a car. It's for a hand condition which I tried a few different creams for with the recommendations of some pharmacists but none of them have worked so far.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Actually I'd be interested in this too. Some odd stuff happening with my skin on hands lately.

However, I've been to Dr Hilda O'Shea many times as she doc in CIT/UCC. Only realised lately she also dermatologist. I might give her a shout.

http://www.corkskincare.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭trailbiker

Thanks Webmonkey.

Was kinda hoping for something right smack in the cemtre of town so that I wouldn't have to take too much time out of work. Anyone got any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

trailbiker wrote: »
    Thanks Webmonkey.

Was kinda hoping for something right smack in the cemtre of town so that I wouldn't have to take too much time out of work. Anyone got any other suggestions?

I've used William O'Connor. Absolutely brilliant and he trained in the Mayo Clinic. I've heard from a number of physicians that he's one of the best in Ireland.

He recently moved to the Lee Road which is a fair bit from the City Centre but not unwalkable.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is anyone smack bang in the middle, so you might have to get a bus (unless you're afraid!) or a taxi...

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Actually I'd be interested in this too. Some odd stuff happening with my skin on hands lately.

However, I've been to Dr Hilda O'Shea many times as she doc in CIT/UCC. Only realised lately she also dermatologist. I might give her a shout.

http://www.corkskincare.com/

She is NOT a dermatologist. She is just a GP with 'special interest' in dermatology. Big difference. She did her medical degree and most likely did a six to eight month course in basic dermatology. On the otherhand, a dermatologist does their medical degree and could spend on average from five to six YEARS studying the skin.

Hope this helps.

Ed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I've got an appointment with Dr Hilda O'Shea on Friday since I finally decided to go down the medical route to sorting out my problem skin. Il let you know how I get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

Vivara wrote: »
    I've used William O'Connor. Absolutely brilliant and he trained in the Mayo Clinic. I've heard from a number of physicians that he's one of the best in Ireland.

He recently moved to the Lee Road which is a fair bit from the City Centre but not unwalkable.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is anyone smack bang in the middle, so you might have to get a bus (unless you're afraid!) or a taxi...

She is NOT a dermatologist. She is just a GP with 'special interest' in dermatology. Big difference. She did her medical degree and most likely did a six to eight month course in basic dermatology. On the otherhand, a dermatologist does their medical degree and could spend on average from five to six YEARS studying the skin.

Hope this helps.

Ed.

I had always wondered this.So,GPs who have a special interest in a particular area dont even have much training in that area?Problem is,most of the public dont know this and thats why these GPs make mega bucks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 anrinn184

I have been to Dr Hilda O'Shea for my Eczema on my hands and she gave me some great advice on treating my eczema, they had been very inflamed and raw, she also gave my son who also has eczema a really cool little free cartoon book on how to prevent eczema.

I looked up Dr Hilda O'Shea's website and it says she is a Primary Care Dermatologist and has been practicing dermatology since 1994. From what I understand Primary care dermatologists are GP's who have a special interest in dermatology. They do not claim to be Dermatology medical consultants who have spent several years training in hospitals, nor do they charge as much as Dermatology consultants plus you can often get an appointment with a primary care consultant much quicker. In the UK, there are lots of primary care GP's who have lots of different special medical interests, having lived in London for 4 years, I thought it was a great system..On her website it says she has studied dermatology at the University of Cardiff.

She does have a city centre location aswell, I go to her practice on College Rd, Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

There is a German Consultant Dermatologist out in Cork Medical Consultants in Togher; more information at the website.

Full disclosure: I'm related to some of the people working out there!

Advertisement