Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confusion

Options
  • 05-08-2010 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭

Can you rent a property(from South Dublin County Council)and have it adapted to suit your needs(I'm a disabled person)?? I came in contact - through work - with someone who also had a disability and is currently renting a property and got it adapted to suit his needs.....??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Yes. Whether you're a council tenant or in your own property, an OT (occupational therapist) can assess your residence and make recommendations to have it adapted for you. Not sure if it's means-tested, or if CC or HSE pay. Welfare forum might have better knowledge or LongTermIllness forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Really? I just spoke to someone in SDCC - Property Path - and this person informed that it can't be done this way. That you can only buy Affordable Housing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Yes, Affordable Housing is for sale (not for rent).

Are you saying you are not already a Council tenant? You'd have to be a CC tenant first and then get the adaptations made. Where do you live now?

Yes, Affordable Housing is for sale (not for rent).

Are you saying you are not already a Council tenant? You'd have to be a CC tenant first and then get the adaptations made. Where do you live now?

I live with my parents, brother & sister in a privately owned house.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I live with my parents, brother & sister in a privately owned house.

to clarify

do you and your family live in a rented house?

or is it owned by your family?

is your plan to adapt the home you are living in or to rent another house and adapt that?

• Advertisement

Riskymove wrote: »
    to clarify

do you and your family live in a rented house?

or is it owned by your family?

is your plan to adapt the home you are living in or to rent another house and adapt that?

1. No - the house is privately owned.

2. I am to eventually live on my own - in a property that suits my needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

1. No - the house is privately owned.

yes i got that but now its clear its privately owned by your family as oppossed to rented from soemone else

I wondered if this was about adapting that house...but
    2. I am to eventually live on my own - in a property that suits my needs.

this shows otherwise

it may be possible for you to adapt a home you rented from someone but i presume they would have to be in agreement

the more likely option is to be allocated an adapted home through a local authority

Advertisement