Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any spare bamboo?

Options
  • 05-08-2010 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

I am on the look out for some tall bamboo the 6 - 8 foot variety? i belieive this is easy to take off cuts and get them growing. anyone have any spare they dont want? in D15.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭wildlifeman

bump..c'mon loads of people must have spare bamboo..ill pay for it. i have been to 3 garden centres who dont have any except the tiny ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I'm in Cork Unfortunately, but you'd be welcome to as much as you want from mine !

Its cut back to about 5 ft at the moment, but was a 13 footer when I got the house....its mad bamboo :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭twenty8

Great idea!

There must be someone - while first dibs go to Wildlifeman if anyone in Kildare has some I would love to put some. Just building a new garden and it would be perfect as a screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Anywhere in Dublin for me. Can pick up

//apologies for hijack

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I think I saw some big bamboo in Plant Life on Cork St. in Dublin 8.

Otherwise Johnstown garden centre should have some. You can order through their website for delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

how do you multiply it, is it cuttings of stems or roots, and what time of year

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

There are two kinds of bamboo, running and clumping.

Clumping stays as a single plant. Running bamboo will populate a massive area if permitted - including popping up in your neighbour's garden, their neighbours garden and occaionally in the garden of the woman five doors down if you've let it get really feral.

Be very careful you know what you want when you plant a running bamboo, they are extremely prolific and very, very difficult to remove once established.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

There are two kinds of bamboo, running and clumping.

Clumping stays as a single plant. Running bamboo will populate a massive area if permitted - including popping up in your neighbour's garden, their neighbours garden and occaionally in the garden of the woman five doors down if you've let it get really feral.

Be very careful you know what you want when you plant a running bamboo, they are extremely prolific and very, very difficult to remove once established.
    I've heard that clumping bamboo can do greater damage to paths/foundations than running bamboo. I guess you need to do your homework and weigh up the pros and cons of each type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

I have bamboo growing in my garden from next door...not really sure what variety it is..am wondering if i leave it to mature does bamboo ever grow fruit?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭wildlifeman

please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I have seen bamboo take over an entire yard. Its a pest. I am not sure why you would want to plant it.
    I assume it doesnt go as crazy here in Ireland though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

A friend of mine gave me some bamboo a few years ago and it filled a damp part of my garden very well. It looked great and it grew about fourteen feet tall. However in the last six months it has taken off and is popping up in various parts of the garden and only yesterday I saw a 'bump' appear in the tarmac driveway and there it was. I drenched it with 'roundup' but I bet I just annoyed it! Maybe if it was planted in a buried barrel or something that might stop it from spreading. I'd advise you think long and hard before introducing it into your garden.

Advertisement