Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roster and Juggling

Options
  • 05-08-2010 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

can someone shed some light on this for me!
    Im slightly worried.
    I started a new job about a month ago and of yet havent been issued a copy of a contract or employment conditions and terms ect. I am assured that sometime next week I will be given a copy to sign.

The thing is, I am working in a hotel and the roster is VERY changeable. Today I worked
    2 hours, because I was able to do in that time, the work load which I was given to do.
    Tomorrow I am rostered for a half day.

I got a call from another potential employer who may offer me some work in their establishment around the existing roster in the place where I am, but I only know how I am rostered until the end of the week!

Q. How far in advance is reasonable to ask for the roster to be made out, so that I can know what way I'm working, and PLAN around another job.

I am Very grateful for this new employment and know how lucky I am to be employed, but the days I am getting are 3 / 3 and a half / four days per week. And some days I go in and am given a work load that I could do in half a day, and since I don't want to be standing around wasting time, I finish early and go home, like today.

The working week is wednesday to tuesday.
    So I suppose this is the beginning of a new week. ?? So confusing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

most rota's are only made up on a weekly basis especially in retail and hotels so unfortunately it is what it is
    maybe if you speak to your "new employer" and find out what days they want you to work then you could arrange for your current employer to roster you off on those days

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

To be honest, talk to the new employer, and see how many hours you'd get per week - they may be able to give you more stable hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks,

I talked to new employer!
    Arranged to do a trial/induction day with new employer, and existing employer changed the roster and I had to work at present place on that day!

What to do.

Advertisement