Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perseids Meteor Shower... weather permitting

Options
  • 05-08-2010 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

It's on the 12th and 13th of August this year (that's next Thursday & Friday).. we should get a group together, drive somewhere remote-ish with flasks of hot tea & ginger nut biccies and watch them?

Comments

Oh would most definately be up for this. Wonderful idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Xiney wrote: »
    we should get a group together, drive somewhere remote-ish with flasks of hot tea & ginger nut biccies and watch them?

Sounds durty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

If so, your version of kinky sex probably involves turning the lights on :P

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

Dogging?

I'm presuming they will either occur late at night or last all night, so would we be better off bringing sleeping bags?

• Advertisement

They'd be happening in the wee hours of the morning following those nights (so the Thursday night one would technically be Friday morning, not cool for people with M-F jobs)

Sleeping bags might be useful for warmth but I wouldn't be camping out all night personally. Probably just wear a lot of warm clothes, hat, mittens that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

would love to go, but im one of those M-F workers :(

If a group of ye do go out. Get pics!

Well, that's why we might go out on the Friday night/Saturday morning of the 13th/14th...

That way M-F workers can go

But then weekend workers can't go. I guess the best way to decide is to maybe do a poll - there's probably more M-F workers on here than weekend workers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Just look up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

po0k wrote: »
    Just look up.

Yep, go down the plotts up on the hill...that would do...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Won't be around, poo! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

Bad Idea, one minute your admiring a celestial spectacle, next minute your blind and being menaced by carnivorous plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Eman Resu wrote: »
    Bad Idea, one minute your admiring a celestial spectacle, next minute your blind and being menaced by carnivorous plants.

Not at all...an internet meeting in the dark way out in the middle of nowhere. What could possibly go wrong ?

If this is grooming Xiney then I like your style ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Yeah might be up for something different like this ..... :)

Weather permitting though .... :confused:

Pity it wasn't September!! We're sure to have fine weather then going back to school and college! :D:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Hi Guys got a post going over here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67251760#post67251760 for perseids weather & updates

dacogawa wrote: »
    Hi Guys got a post going over here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67251760#post67251760 for perseids weather & updates

Yeah, so far it's looking like it's going to be pretty overcast which is kinda crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Yeah, so far it's looking like it's going to be pretty overcast which is kinda crap.

It's actually looking like it is going to clear up for the peak on Thursday night (hopefully) & Wed night is looking promising too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Is this on Thursday night/Friday Morning or both Thursday and Friday Night?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Is this on Thursday night/Friday Morning or both Thursday and Friday Night?

Should be over the next few days, Thursday night / Friday morning is just the peak (approx. 120 meteors per hour is possible). Forecast is for clear skies in the west.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Good stuff. I'd have to go back way back the way to see the shower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Pk10

It's on the 12th and 13th of August this year (that's next Thursday & Friday).. we should get a group together, drive somewhere remote-ish with flasks of hot tea & ginger nut biccies and watch them?

I would be interested in doing this if it is going ahead, I haven't seen it in years but its been fab in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

Just thought i'd mention that weather permitting the Galway Astronomy Club are organising a viewing session at tra salin (about mile and a half west of spiddal) on thurs night starting around 11pm. i'm sure they will have a few telescopes set up as well to view jupiter and the likes as a break from just watching meteors. thought it would be an idea to have a joint boardsies/astronomy club meeting instead. the gac guys/girls are a sound bunch and they are always welcoming. if anyone is going please wrap up well and bring a deck/plastic chair! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Are folk still going to this or what's happening ???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This is a list of man made objects that will float past while you are there ( click previous pm if it is timestamped the 13th of August) . These are clearly visible to the naked eye.

http://www.heavens-above.com/allsats.asp?lat=53.24092&lng=-9.34413&alt=0&loc=Unspecified&TZ=GMT&Date=40402.7291666667&Mag=3.5

American Spy Sat passes

Lacrosse 3 From west to east north east, highest at 22:37

Name Mag Time Alt. Az. Time Alt. Az. Time Alt. Az.
    Lacrosse 3 2.8 22:32:17 10° W 22:36:57 60° NNW 22:41:38 10° ENE

Back after midnight highest @ 00:19

Lacrosse 3 2.7 00:14:19 10° WNW 00:18:57 58° N 00:23:27 11° E

In case you feel discriminated against a pair of Japanese spy satellites will also be along for the gawk, these are called IGS birds and IGS 1a and IGS 1b will both fly past within 20 mins.

IGS 1B 2.5 23:16:25 17° SSW 23:18:50 42° W 23:22:13 10° NNW

and

IGS 1A 2.1 23:33:43 34° S 23:35:10 75° WSW 23:38:50 10° NNW

The second will be much higher in the sky , peaking at 75 degrees altitude ( straight up is 90 degrees) and to the WSW @ 23:35 hours and will be brighter at mag 2.1 than the dimmer and lower brother at mag 2.6 but only 42 degree elevation.

There are other bits around, dont bother looking east at under 60 degrees elevation , you will only see the lights of Galway.

You cannot see this stuff in the city with the naked eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I am so jealous. Would love to come but I can't . Hope ye all have a great time.

Is it possible to take pics of videos of these events (the skywards ones I mean)?
    If it is please someone take pics!:)

Actually just had a look at Galways Astronomy club site. It's pretty good.

Hey guys, I meant to post something yesterday but had no internet.

I think tra salin sounds like the perfect place to go. Plus there should be more people there and it will be fun. If anyone wants a lift let me know - and if anyone has an extra chair let me know :)

I think tra salin sounds like the perfect place to go.

It is spelt " Trá Sáilín " ...agus sin fiú muna gceadaíotar aon Ghaeilge thart anseo mar nach bhfuil oiread na fríde ag an mbainistíocht :p

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It is spelt " Trá Sáilín " ...agus sin fiú muna gceadaíotar aon Ghaeilge thart anseo mar nach bhfuil focal ag an mbainistíocht :p

I knew there was a fada on the a but I was only copying what was above... and didn't want to seem like a smart arse.

• Advertisement

I knew there was a fada on the a but I was only copying what was above.

Trá Sáilín Xiney :) Helpfully the GPS co ords are in my link posted last night.

Advertisement