Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perseids Meteor Shower... weather permitting

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Is it 11pm meet-up then?

Would any-one like to give me a lift from Salthill please? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

sure - I'll give you a lift.

you wouldn't happen to have a spare chair? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Cool Xiney. :) I will have a look for some plastic chairs ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Are ye still going? Looks very cloudy, but I'd love to go if it clears up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Hmm, bugger :(

3hr-rain.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I am hoping it clears up, May head out to the Burren to see if I can get clear skies

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It is spelt " Trá Sáilín " ...agus sin fiú muna gceadaíotar aon Ghaeilge thart anseo mar nach bhfuil oiread na fríde ag an mbainistíocht :p

Bhí a fhios agam gur Trá Sáilín an t-ainm ceart a bhí air ach bhí deifir orm agus chomh maith leis sin deanann mé dearmad i gconaí cén chaoi an 'fada' a fháil ar an ríomhaire!! Tá brón orm Sponge Bob! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

this might help.... http://sat24.com/RegionAnim.aspx?country=gb&sat=vis&type=loop

doesn't look promising :(

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Looks horrible :(

muskyj wrote: »
    deanann mé dearmad i gconaí cén chaoi an 'fada' a fháil ar an ríomhaire!!

An cnaipe AltGR i dtosach agus an Guta ansin gan scaoileadh le Alt GR, nó AltGR Shift Guta más cuí.

Táid maite agam.

• Advertisement

yeah, probably not going to bother. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Keep an eye on this thread for cloud updates. We have had quite a few clear patches but the cloud does look like it may be building a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Not looking too promising at the moment. It's 21.30 and about an hour and a half before it all kicks off.

As of now it does not look good. There are a few cloud breaks but they are small & scattered.

Got as far as Casla not a star in the sky :(

I can see a few gaps in the cloud but they seem pretty small.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Saw 5 in the space of about 10 minutes about 20 minutes ago through a decent sized gap in the clouds just east of Tuam, that hole is now heading in the Galway city direction in case anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Am up north at the mo and headed out to the countryside to try and get a good viewing spot, took me ages to get away from lights and lighthouses! Sky was really clear-could see milky way. Got to see about 5 or 6 shooters before I got cold and bored and that amount in one night is still impressive so it satisfied my idea of meteor shower :D

I'm glad someone saw something!

oh well :P The meteor shower happens every year. Maybe next year it'll be clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Went out to Tra Sailin, Spiddal from about 11.30 until 12.30, large enough patch of the sky cleared for about half an hour and saw 8 or 9. :) Saw a few nice satelites too.

• Advertisement

The Leonid shower was rather good last year , November time :)

we were brave/crazy enough to turn up at Trá Sáilín last night from around 11 to 1:30. saw 15 perseids and 2 non perseids. got a nice break at around midnight as mentioned by foto joe. would have been a good display if it wasn't for the damned clouds. oh well better luck next time. if the weather improves a few people mentioned heading out there again tonight. gonna check the weather later....

any spy sats Musky ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Didn't see a damn thing. Damn you Galway clouds!

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    any spy sats Musky ??

saw two single sats heading northwest direction, been told that spy sats fly in groups of 2/3?? if true then no spy sats. an interesting point about Trá Sáilín is that there is a childrens graveyard down there and according to the locals the place is supposed to be haunted :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

if the weather improves a few people mentioned heading out there again tonight. gonna check the weather later....

Keep an eye out the window on the way out. When going out last night the skies were clear between Barna and Spiddal... we thought we'd head on anyway... then on the way back at 00.30 the skies were (possibly still) clear in the same area. So worth keeping an eye out!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Melty

ended up out in trá sáilín myself last night - expecting to see nothing, mind. was nicely surprised!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

an interesting point about Trá Sáilín is that there is a childrens graveyard down there and according to the locals the place is supposed to be haunted :eek:

Oh a haunted beach at midnight! I'm even more annoyed that I missed out now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Is it the same speil tonight? Starts at 11ish again?

• Advertisement
Advertisement