Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick question

Options
  • 05-08-2010 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭

I have no kids and am not pregnant so I hope you don't mind me invading the forum ladies!

My sister-in-law and my brother are expecting their first little bubba and are 28 weeks pregnant. Yay! (very excited about becoming an auntie). Last night she has what felt like bad period pain and phoned a doctor who said not to worry and that it is common enough. There is no spotting thank goodness or anything like that.

Have any of you ladies experienced this around this 28 week stage and what explanation was given? I think they are both really worried and nervous now though and I'd like to be able to put their mind at ease so any feedback would be appreciated. What could be causing this?

Thanks a mill in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Pixied

If they are unhappy and your s.i.l is still unwell, tell her to ring her maternity hospital. They will be quick enough to tell her if she needs to come in or not. Alternatively she could just turn up at their outpatients department, most are open all the time.

Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Thanks a mill Pixied. She is feeling fine today thank goodness and it only lasted for a while last night. I think they are interested/would be reassured to know what was the cause of the pain though. Can you have Braxton Hicks as early as 28 weeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You can have Braxton Hicks as early as 28 weeks and they are actually very common. They can be quite scary if you don't know what they are. If your sister in law gets the pains again and is worried then tell her to head to her maternity hospital, they won't make her feel silly for coming in and will reassure her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

It could be braxton hicks, or it could be just normal stretching pains. I think its around about the 28 week mark that the lower part of the uterus starts to stretch up, hence the low down period like pain. It could also be to do with the way the baby was laying last night.

If they are concerned then she should really attend her maternity hospital for a check up just to be sure. The out patients dept should see her 24/7 and can maybe do a scan or run a CTG to check that the baby is fine and put everyones minds at rest :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I got pains like that at that stage, it was probably braxton hicks for me and the position of the head and punchy little fists!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Thanks all so much ladies, really put their minds at ease!

Best of luck to you all with your little bundles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Just wait til she starts getting the infamous 'lightning vagina'. Starts around 35 weeks. Ouch ouch ouch.

Advertisement