Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oak Stringers

Options
  • 05-08-2010 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Does anyone have any idea where I could source 15 ft by 9 inch by 2 inch white oak stringers for a stairs ? Friends are doing the sytairs but claim they cant get these timbers !! They did recommend laminating timber together. Any advice greatly appreciated !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I know someone who made an oak stairs using laminated oak worktop stock, ripped down to width. Not sure how long those worktop lengths come in, but it makes for a very strong and stable stringer. Personally I think the laminated oak looks great too, especially if used for treads too.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

Thanks for that idea, I will pass it on. We were just scared that the laminate may not look great, but as I have found out with building is that whatever is bothering you today will be forgotten about next week when there is something else to sorted out !!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Hard to get 15ft but it is possible, In Galway i can get them sometimes in Brooks . T O'Higgins usually have them, but they are bloody expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ennisa

I have in the past bought 15ft by 7 inch by 1 inch white and red oak from brooks in Balbriggan. There were wider widths there and there was 2, 3 and 4 inch stock too. The widths that they get in will vary from bale to bale.
    The best thing to do would be to phone them or call up if you are in the area and ask what they have. I dealt with Tony there and he was a nice bloke, although I think there was a couple of guys called Tony :) but they were all helpful. I vaguely remember an unfinished board being about 13-15 euro per cubic foot for the 1 inch, slightly more for the 2 inch and don't quote me on that it was a while ago. You would have to factor in how much stock you would loose preparing the wood too. I would doubt there is anywhere you would find square and planed boards like that. Unless you get them from a stair manufacturers.
    Brooks have a pdf on their website with the woods they do and the sizes they do. The width is usually determined by the size of the log they are cutting from though. I would imagine it is all flat sawn as well and not quarter sawn or anything fancy like that. I will be up there again over the next week or two. I can keep an eye out for what they have when I am there if you like?

Thanks for the replys, still waiting on a local joinery to get back to me !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Try morgan timbers or kantors (both in dublin)...should be in the phone book or 11811, if not could get the numbers tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭JoeB-

Yes, Morgans Timber on the Dublin Quays will have laminated Oak, specially for stringers or stairs, size 270mm x 25mm, although you can also get 2 inch I think.. lenghts up to 4.5m or so., perhaps slightly longer. They also do 1m long pieces for treads. One bullnosed edge on all pieces. Same products available in pine.

Brooks and Morgans are connected companies.. I'd imagine it's cheaper to go direct to Morgans.

Hi, thanks for the information. I ended up getting an oak laminate which looks fine, the joinery is in the process of building it at the moment. They did have solid oak but it was alot of smaller pieces finger jointed together and looked awful. I was hoping to use one piece of solid oak 16ft long !! I didn't realise that it would be so hard to get. oh well nearly finished,stairs carpets upstairs and blinds, BINGO !!

Advertisement