Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pakistan Floods - Donations

• 05-08-2010 2:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭

We all know about it by now - 1,500 thought dead (this will rise dramatically) and 100's of thousands injured, hungry and homeless.

Feel free to post links to any other charities (Christian or otherwise) but here are a couple of suggested Christian charities:

Tearfund and Trocaire.

Also, don't forget about Haiti.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Just a little bump -

€107 could pay for a food package for four families for 30 days
    €53 could pay for a health & hygiene kit to protect 10 families from disease
    €21 could pay for eating utensils for 4 families so they can cook for themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Are any of the banks doing anything for this? Would like to donate and if they were matching some of it or giving a break on it I could give more.

I've had a look at the BOI and AIB websites and I didn't see anything mentioned. Perhaps calling into your local branch would be best.

I'm beginning to wonder if there is there a case to be made for smaller charities. I was watching a documentary on Haiti yesterday and the reality of aid distribution there was quite shocking. Of all the countries pledging money to Haiti it was only Brazil who had paid in full. And of the aid money that is there only 2% had actually been used by time of filming (sometime around July, I gather). This was due to squabbling between aid agencies who couldn't agree where it was most needed and reluctance to hand cash over to a thoroughly rotten Government. I wonder are micro-projects (the type of work smaller charities do) more effective in certain cases?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I've had a look at the BOI and AIB websites and I didn't see anything mentioned. Perhaps calling into your local branch would be best.

I'm beginning to wonder if there is there a case to be made for smaller charities. I was watching a documentary on Haiti yesterday and the reality of aid distribution there was quite shocking. Of all the countries pledging money to Haiti it was only Brazil who had paid in full. And of the aid money that is there only 2% had actually been used by time of filming (sometime around July, I gather). This was due to squabbling between aid agencies who couldn't agree where it was most needed and reluctance to hand cash over to a thoroughly rotten Government. I wonder are micro-projects (the type of work smaller charities do) more effective in certain cases?
    Aye, I want any money I give to be used properly. I know in Britain there's some kind of tax rule that increases donations but I think it's on the donor's end so I don't think it'll apply here.
    I shall work something out anyway. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

There'l;l be donations next week in my church

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

amacachi wrote: »
    Aye, I want any money I give to be used properly. I know in Britain there's some kind of tax rule that increases donations but I think it's on the donor's end so I don't think it'll apply here.
    I shall work something out anyway. :)

If you give to a charity in Ireland and you are a PAYE worker then they can claim extra from the revenue, but it only applies to donations exceeding 250 euro in one year (ie if you gave 25 per month to Concern then that would total 300 per year and they get 25% or 41% more depending on your tax rate). The rebate is only at the donor's end if you are self-employed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Am I totally wrong????

When the Egyptians refused to let the Israelites leave Egypt, God sent a plague upon them, culminating in the drowning of the Egyptial army in the Sea. i cannot fins any reference in my bible to Moses holding a collection for the widows of the Egyptian soldiers.

If the Pakistanis stopped persecuting the Christians, would the flood have come?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

ravima wrote: »
    Am I totally wrong????

When the Egyptians refused to let the Israelites leave Egypt, God sent a plague upon them, culminating in the drowning of the Egyptial army in the Sea. i cannot fins any reference in my bible to Moses holding a collection for the widows of the Egyptian soldiers.

If the Pakistanis stopped persecuting the Christians, would the flood have come?

Yes, you are totally wrong.

Jesus told us to turn the other cheek and to bless those who persecute us.

And, btw, Christians in Pakistan are suffering from the floods just as much as are Muslims/

Pakistan - Three months on

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-11648701 - shocking stuff.

"The WFP says it will have to cut rations - by half - in November because of a lack of donations. The UN's $2bn (£1.26) appeal for Pakistan is less than 40% funded."

Advertisement