Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chillies in Galway?

Options
  • 05-08-2010 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭

Does anyone know of any shops that carry a selection of different types of chilli (fresh or dried)
    Supermarkets tend to just carry 'chillies', have tried delis like Mortons & McCambridges, but they don't tend to have much except a selection of ready-made sauces with chillies in them.
    I know there's a decent asian supermarket out westside, does that stock em?
    Looking for things like chipotle, habanero, birdseye etc etc for mexican/asian cooking.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

May or may not be of use to you, but Aldi in Limerick coincidentally had all of the chillis you mentioned in stock in 15g and 30g bags yesterday. They were dried and under €2 per bag. Not sure if it's nationwide, but worth a shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

A lot of the fruit & veg shops carry fresh habaneros and other chilies

The asian stores generally have the dried birds' eye varieties and the african have the african birds' eye chilies (aka piri piri)

I got a packet of ancho chilies in Tesco a while back, part of their "ingredients" range.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

Tesco do the red hot ones if any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

Does anyone know of any shops that carry a selection of different types of chilli (fresh or dried)
    Supermarkets tend to just carry 'chillies', have tried delis like Mortons & McCambridges, but they don't tend to have much except a selection of ready-made sauces with chillies in them.
    I know there's a decent asian supermarket out westside, does that stock em?
    Looking for things like chipotle, habanero, birdseye etc etc for mexican/asian cooking.
    Thanks.

Not for now, but perhaps for next spring, chillies are very easy to grow at home.I grow a few different varieties in my home, scotch bonnets, apaches, jalapenos and something that looks a bit like a birds eye that I grew from some dried ones I bought in Spain.They all grow like weeds and I always have really fresh chilllies on hand.Stick a pot in the window, tomato food water and sunshine.There are loads of places online to get seeds for really exotic ones too.Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭mashling

The guy who sells vegetables downstairs in the Eyre Square shopping centre had a few different vareities of chillies the last time I was in there. I'm not sure what type they were but I bought 12 little ones for 50c, yum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The Mediterranean shop across from McD's Westside has a selection of fresh hot chillies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

I have bought the birdseye chilies in Tesco.

Jaysus they were feckin hot but lovely. I could still taste them the following day

Try the Indian store also in Terryland, few doors up from the veg shop

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bat boy

Aroma in westside usually has fresh scotch bonnet chillies. Seriously spicy chillies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

Woo chilli locations galore \o/. Now I regret destroying my stomach with chinese last night - I won't be able for any for a couple of days :pac:
    Not for now, but perhaps for next spring, chillies are very easy to grow at home.I grow a few different varieties in my home, scotch bonnets, apaches, jalapenos and something that looks a bit like a birds eye that I grew from some dried ones I bought in Spain.They all grow like weeds and I always have really fresh chilllies on hand.Stick a pot in the window, tomato food water and sunshine.There are loads of places online to get seeds for really exotic ones too.Enjoy

I had a load of varieties, but they all died and I have one solitary hardy jalapeno plant at the moment. I'd love to grow more, but I don't have any more windowsill space and no balcony or garden, I'd try a windowbox, but it might be a bit wet & cold for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

A friend says the same thing, he was surprised how well they grew in his window. Wouldn't have much of a supply though.

Advertisement