Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman Arkham City Thread

Comments

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Games Master gave it 97%

Woohoo! :D Exactly as i guessed they would a couple of weeks back.
    Gamesmaster gave AA a 96% back in 2009, which i though was a few percent on the generous side. I would expect them to top that by a percent or two for AC, the way it looks to be shaping up.

In fairness, while I'm really stoked at the reception that the game is getting, i think magazines like GM hand out high scores like that far too easily, particularly when they've been given an exclusive review. If i was working at rocksteady's marketing department i would be sure to use that to my advantage. There's a reason they got the exclusive again. For my money, there should be one, maybe two games given a 95%+ score per year.

Mind you, If AC is even close to as good as the early reviews are making out, it will be hard to beat for a GOTY, particularly as it's a fresh format, rather than the latest in a long series of shooters and action formats like GOW, COD, Uncharted, etc. Those games will surely be contenders this year too, but even if they're brilliant in every other department, their formula will have lost some of it's freshness because gamers will have seen it many times before with the previous entries in the series.

Arkham city on the other hand, well this will be the first time that gamers have really had the experience of being batman while skulking around his hunting ground in free-roam mode, exploring at will, and picking off unsuspecting goons. Arkham city was great, but it was on-rails most of the time, and Bman was out of his comfort zone to an extent.

This thing looks like being a proper Batman simulator. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Even with the amount of leaked teasers so far, I'm getting excited about Arkham City.

It really is lovely to see that there are still developers who will try and do big new things instead of copy/pasting the previous successful game with a bit of a paint job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Pre-ordered the CE version from Gamestops website yesterday, because I want that statue on one side of my shelf, with the big Dead Rising 2 zombie on the other side and Ezio in the middle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I hope its as good as GM says anyone that thought this wouldn't be in the GOTY contenders is mad so early high scores is hardly a shock. If this was 97% after a underwhelming game i'd be more irked but Arkham Asylum was top class(bar the bosses). What games i've played this year have been mildly dissapointing Resistance 3, Gears 3, Fifa 12, Deus Ex, Crysis 2, BulletStorm, LBP2, KillZone 3 & a few other won't be my final GOTY this, Uncharted 3,Saints Row The 3rd or Skyrim maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

How long do you think until exclusive pre-order content will be available as DLC?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

GTR63 wrote: »
    I hope its as good as GM says anyone that thought this wouldn't be in the GOTY contenders is mad so early high scores is hardly a shock. If this was 97% after a underwhelming game i'd be more irked but Arkham Asylum was top class(bar the bosses). What games i've played this year have been mildly dissapointing Resistance 3, Gears 3, Fifa 12, Deus Ex, Crysis 2, BulletStorm, LBP2, KillZone 3 & a few other won't be my final GOTY this, Uncharted 3,Saints Row The 3rd or Skyrim maybe

Dark Souls not your thing then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Dark Souls not your thing then

No I like my controllers in one piece thank you very much.

Does anybody know which retailer is offering Robin DLC as a pre-order bonus in Ireland?

I just checked out the robin trailer for the first time, and he looks badass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ya Robin looks well class! I'm interested myself on info regarding DLC in different shops. That collectors edition with the statue looks brilliant! I have never bought a collectors edition of a game before but tempted by that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭cableguy.ie

Game seem to be selling the robin edition but if you are going for the statue they (and the hut and Zaavi) are supplying the Dark knight skin with the statue.
    If you order the statue through Gamestop you get the Batman Beyond skin.
    Its 80 from gamestop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

I've ordered the collector's edition as a birthday present to myself (cue Forever Alone pics). It's coming out the day before my birthday but I'm hoping Gamestop ship it to me early so I get to play it before the weekend as I'm going be spending most of the weekend 'celebrating' when I'd much rather be playing Batman!

The collector's edition comes with the Dark Knight Returns skin and Gamestop have the Batman Beyond skin. Also it was revealed that blu-ray copies of Green Lantern come with a Sinestro Corps skin for Batman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

After getting a £20 voucher for Amazon (for a free 30day trial of LoveFilm.com) so I decided to get the Catwoman Steel book edition. Was kinda tempted by the special edition this time around but since I got burned on the one for Arkham Asylum I decided not to.
    Would have preferred to get the Twoface one of the Joker one but I cant turn my nose up at the game for £17. The GF should be coming over from the UK the weekend of release so I should have it the day after launch.

Anyone know what the gamebox looks like for the collector's edition? It was a terrible one for BM:AA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

NotorietyH wrote: »
    Also it was revealed that blu-ray copies of Green Lantern come with a Sinestro Corps skin for Batman.

Now that sounds cool....18.99 on play for a Sinestro Corps Batman skin and it comes with a free Green Latern Bluray. :pac:

Have you a source for this, I see no mention of it anywheres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭cableguy.ie

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Now that sounds cool....18.99 on play for a Sinestro Corps Batman skin and it comes with a free Green Latern Bluray. :pac:

Have you a source for this, I see no mention of it anywheres.

http://www.joystiq.com/screenshots/batman-arkham-city-sinestro-corps-bonus#/0

That's the pics, looks like it might be PS3 only.

EDIT: Reading the post it says it's limited edition and exclusive to Best Buy so could be US only at the moment. Amazon or someone might get it for Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

:mad:
    EDIT: Reading the post it says it's limited edition and exclusive to Best Buy so could be US only at the moment. Amazon or someone might get it for Europe.
    Phew...:D, I hope they don't, cause if I can't have it, no one should! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Anyone know what the gamebox looks like for the collector's edition? It was a terrible one for BM:AA.

It's most likely just the standard box, slipped into the bit behind the statue (if you look at the pic posted above by cableguy.ie (http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Batman-Arkham-City-Collectors-Edition.jpg) then you can see where it slots in behind the statue, and the rest of the stuff goes in the drawer under the statue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

It's most likely just the standard box, slipped into the bit behind the statue (if you look at the pic posted above by cableguy.ie (http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Batman-Arkham-City-Collectors-Edition.jpg) then you can see where it slots in behind the statue, and the rest of the stuff goes in the drawer under the statue
    For those of you who have bought it, I hope that's the case. Then again, I thought I was getting the standard case with BM:AA.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 GT_Dublin

According to this thread, the CE doesn't include a case. Apparently the game is stored in a sleeve inside the artbook, which is a bit crap really.

http://community.batmanarkhamcity.com/forums/showthread.php/1933-Official-Collector-s-Edition-Arkham-City/page1

DLC release dates and costs (USA) detailed. Nightwing DLC is out a couple of weeks after release, then robin DLC a few weeks after that. I think the catwoman DLC is included via a code in the retail versions of the game.

Batman skins pack releases at the start of December, no details yet of which skins will be included.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ArkhamHub/news/?a=47897

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

what does eveyone think ign will give this ,9.5 is my guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

DLC release dates and costs (USA) detailed. Nightwing DLC is out a couple of weeks after release, then robin DLC a few weeks after that. I think the catwoman DLC is included via a code in the retail versions of the game.

Nice. The Nightwing and Robin DLC will extend the game's lifespan a bit.

Mr. K wrote: »
    Nice. The Nightwing and Robin DLC will extend the game's lifespan a bit.

It's looking like having serious legs. The core game itself looks enormous, all the achievements, side missions, riddler challenges and all the rest of the stuff they've packed in, and then after that they've got the "new game plus" mode when you complete it to keep you busy playing through it all again. You'll presumably have to unlock all the challenge maps in the main story mode, like in AA, then you've got all of the trophies for each of them to get, and that's just playing with batman.

All the different challenge maps will work with all the DLC characters too. I hope rocksteady implement leaderboards and character specific trophies for every map. That would add a lot of replay value to the DLC and make mastering each character a lot of fun.

I really cant see me taking this game out of my disc tray this side of Christmas...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

It's looking like having serious legs. The core game itself looks enormous, all the achievements, side missions, riddler challenges and all the rest of the stuff they've packed in, and then after that they've got the "new game plus" mode when you complete it to keep you busy playing through it all again. You'll presumably have to unlock all the challenge maps in the main story mode, like in AA, then you've got all of the trophies for each of them to get, and that's just playing with batman.

All the different challenge maps will work with all the DLC characters too. I hope rocksteady implement leaderboards and character specific trophies for every map. That would add a lot of replay value to the DLC and make mastering each character a lot of fun.

I really cant see me taking this game out of my disc tray this side of Christmas...

Yeah, it seems like they've taken AA and turned it up to 11. I really hope Nightwing and Robin are as well implemented as Catwoman seems to be.

And maybe (if they actually play a role in the plot), some DLC where we see what they do during the main Arkham City storyline would be cool. Kinda like Separate Ways in RE4. It just seems a shame for Rock Steady to go to the trouble of making them distinct from Batman and only use them for Challenge Maps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Is it gamestop that has batman beyond here?

If not who and how much?

Varik wrote: »
    Is it gamestop that has batman beyond here?

If not who and how much?

It's Gamestop alright I think. I'm getting mine from the website and they had it listed there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

It's Gamestop alright I think. I'm getting mine from the website and they had it listed there.

the price in the shop likely to differ?

I'm near a gamestop so i'll probably get it their, may pre-order it this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 GT_Dublin

Gamestop are currently listing the game at €50 for the standard edition and €80 for the collectors edition.

They will probably price match HMV on the standard edition, if it ends up like a Gears of War 3 situation. No chance of price matching on the CE as it's sold out on pre-orders across all branches apparently.

You get a free Batman keyring and the Batman Beyond skin if you pre-order with them in the shop.

I've got a pre-order with them for the CE but I'm debating switching to the SE as funds are a bit tight. If I do switch I'm torn between HMV and Gamestop as I like HMV's pre-order bonus for the SE (T-Shirt, Comic and Lenticular sleeve).

Decisions, decisions!

What's everyone else planning to pick up and where?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

GT_Dublin wrote: »
    I like HMV's pre-order bonus for the SE (T-Shirt, Comic and Lenticular sleeve).

Say what now??? I'l be going with who ever gives me the most for Deus Ex and so far thats HMV. I will def preorder with hmv for the tshirt and comic but has this been confirmed for Ireland? A quick google shows its for UK alright. I wonder what the tshirt is like.

Edit: found a tiny picture of the tshirt

http://www.google.ie/imgres?q=batman+arkham+city+hmv+pre+order+t+shirt&hl=en&sa=X&tbm=isch&tbnid=fTzwyKqkbJxKzM:&imgrefurl=http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do%3Fsku%3D256231&docid=9qlpec8d1DWF-M&w=130&h=130&ei=2E6VTrjzLJKbtwfIm92XBw&zoom=1&biw=996&bih=490&iact=rc&dur=437&page=1&tbnh=104&tbnw=104&start=0&ndsp=10&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=6&ty=32

Advertisement