Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman Arkham City Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Anyone in the US got a spare code from the ringpull from NOS?? :pac:
    If so. Send it my way.

This really is getting a bit much for me. Never have I seen so much DLC be exclusive to certain retailers before launch. It really makes you thin that you'll be missing out on a fairly sizeable chunk of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ah the skins aren't a big deal, can only be used in main story after you clear it and also in combat challenge rooms. No big deal. The Robin/nightwing dlc will be available at some point. The main DLC is catwoman as that is played during the main story and everyone will get that as long as ye buy it new, which is fair tbh. Once I have my 1st run cleared, i'm sure I will be able to buy a new batsuit by then (if i'm pushed) but I think I will def be buying the Robin DLC.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Ah the skins aren't a big deal, can only be used in main story after you clear it and also in combat challenge rooms. No big deal. The Robin/nightwing dlc will be available at some point. The main DLC is catwoman as that is played during the main story and everyone will get that as long as ye buy it new, which is fair tbh. Once I have my 1st run cleared, i'm sure I will be able to buy a new batsuit by then (if i'm pushed) but I think I will def be buying the Robin DLC.
    I would have gone for the Robin Edition had it come in a steelbook from Game.co.uk. Shame. Cant turn my nose up at a steel book. Even if it is the catwoman one and not the Twoface/Joker one I would have preferred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Anyone in the US got a spare code from the ringpull from NOS?? :pac:
    If so. Send it my way.

This really is getting a bit much for me. Never have I seen so much DLC be exclusive to certain retailers before launch. It really makes you thin that you'll be missing out on a fairly sizeable chunk of the game.

You are, its just pure greed and its amazes me how some can justify what they are doing , granted i dont care for challenge map characters and i can somewhat understand an online pass cause servers cost money , but when they start adding online passes to single player games cutting out single player content then thats where i draw the line. Rearly i buy pre owned games but i just dont like to feel im being forced to by their rules and be punished , one thing for a company to make a profit and theres another thing too milk and take everything a consumer worth.

I agree that the increasing DLC offers are a joke but I really don't mind having an online pass for single player games as the devs just want to make sure they are getting paid for their work instead of Gamestop or Game making pure profit for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I agree that the increasing DLC offers are a joke but I really don't mind having an online pass for single player games as the devs just want to make sure they are getting paid for their work instead of Gamestop or Game making pure profit for nothing.

A game like batman has no need to worry bout making a profit though , the name alone is going to bring a huge fanbase.
    Maybe thats why thats why theres a lack of new ip and theres more sequels than ever..
    Online passes dont garuntee profits , ea have said that themselves, it only makes the companies look bad.
    Look im all for a company trying to make money , just dont agree with talking dlc 6 months before the game even out.
    The movie industry puts in bout the same money it is to be a game and youll see dvds 20 euros and faces second hand buys nd piracy like everyone else, but i dont see them taking scenes on disk you can only unlock with a code or paying extra. But hey its my opinion ..everyone going to think different

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

put my order in with Gamesnash last week as well. Arranging a day off on Thursday in the wild hopes that it arrives that morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jack_gllghr

My thoughts exactly, as long as they don't make the DLC completely exclusive to them and are available in the future from PSN/XBL then happy out.

increasing DLC offers are a joke but I really don't mind having an online pass for single player games as the devs just want to make sure they are getting paid for their work instead of Gamestop or Game making pure profit for nothing.

Exactly. I remember when i bought XBox360 games when they first came out they were really expensive. Gears of war 1 cost me 65 euro, PLUS a slew of DLC map packs i paid for in the months after release. There's a worldwide recession on, prices are down, and games devs need to get paid for their work too. As far as i'm concerned, as long as it's decent DLC and im charged a reasonable amount for it, and i have the choice whether to read a review and buy it or not, then whats the problem? Five years ago i'd have been forced to pay more and would have got the content whether i liked it or not, at best. Sometimes i just got a crap game for that price.

Games development revenue streams have changed. Now you pay 30 or 40 euros for a new release, and have a choice if you want to pay a fiver for some extra content that you like the look of. Wheres the problem with that? Better price, more choice.

I'm all for supporting good developers, it makes games like arkham city more likely to happen, and that's a good thing in my book, and if paying developers directly for good add on content is part of that, im ok with it.

I would have more of an issue with retailer specific DLC for pre-orders, and the ripoff resale prices that game stores have been getting away with for years. The greedy retailers are the problem here, not the developers, all the devs are looking for is a fair cut of the sale price for every sale. A retailer makes more profit on a second sale of a big game than they make on the initial first person transaction on release day. The seller gets shafted, the devs get nothing, and the shop profits massively. There's no sense in that.

To be honest, if it was a game that needed an online pass that i really wanted to play, i would buy a new copy cheaper on the net versus a preowned copy plus the cost of the DLC from an irish store, just to begrudge the retailer's profiteering and to support the developer and the industry instead....but that's just me.

You can get great deals online for new games a few months after launch versus irish pre-owned retail store prices anyway. Without the extra cost of the DLC "activation code" or "vip pass" add-on because you're buying it new it always works out roughly the same, and the only person who loses out is the greedy retailer, so meh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Spent all day replaying Arkham Asylum to get used to the controls again, still can't escape Croc's Lair on my first try. Three replays and I still get lost!

• Advertisement

Spent all day replaying Arkham Asylum to get used to the controls again, still can't escape Croc's Lair on my first try. Three replays and I still get lost!
    Second, after the repetitive boss encounters that was the weakest part of that game imo. Interested to see how they handle the bosses this time around. I hope they are gonna be varied encounters but since they're still using
    Venom
    in the storyline I doubt it.

Ya Crocs lair is for the very patient. crawl, crawl, crawl. ok too slow, walking slowly slowly, ah feck this leg it! Ah Croc you b*stard! Beaming to get out of the sewers!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

No doubt the reason the PC version is delayed:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well with the announcement of a PC release date (Nov 18th), Arkham City has finally appeared on Steam - 39.99 at the moment, with it's own release date being the 15th. Happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Arkham on PC last year and didnt like the controls so got it on PS3 :o

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well with the announcement of a PC release date (Nov 18th), Arkham City has finally appeared on Steam - 39.99 at the moment, with it's own release date being the 15th. Happy days.
    Showing up as €49.99 for me. The usual rip-off from Steam it is then (for newish games).
    unled1vi.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Showing up as €49.99 for me. The usual rip-off from Steam it is then (for newish games).
    unled1vi.jpg
    Weird; it's definitely 39 for me, put it into my basket and yeah, it's still just under 40 bones... you buying from Ireland?

pixelburp wrote: »
    Weird; it's definitely 39 for me, put it into my basket and yeah, it's still just under 40 bones... you buying from Ireland?
    Yup. Dublin. Showing up the same from with Steam and via the Steam website on the browser.
    Edit: showing up as 20% off, making it €39.99. Still cheaper buying it online even with the 20% off

Just watching Under the Red Hood, f*cking awesome!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Not available on UK Steam yet. If it's cheaper than amazon I'll pick it up there,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I would have more of an issue with retailer specific DLC for pre-orders, and the ripoff resale prices that game stores have been getting away with for years. The greedy retailers are the problem here, not the developers, all the devs are looking for is a fair cut of the sale price for every sale. A retailer makes more profit on a second sale of a big game than they make on the initial first person transaction on release day. The seller gets shafted, the devs get nothing, and the shop profits massively. There's no sense in that.

To be honest, if it was a game that needed an online pass that i really wanted to play, i would buy a new copy cheaper on the net versus a preowned copy plus the cost of the DLC from an irish store, just to begrudge the retailer's profiteering and to support the developer and the industry instead....but that's just me.

You can get great deals online for new games a few months after launch versus irish pre-owned retail store prices anyway. Without the extra cost of the DLC "activation code" or "vip pass" add-on because you're buying it new it always works out roughly the same, and the only person who loses out is the greedy retailer, so meh...

There is also a flip side to that. I want value for money too and regularly buy online but lets not forget the bricks and mortar shops are the ones employing people in this country and need to be supported too. Also the retailers may be making more profit on pre-owned resales but once the game is developed and in the shops hands to sell they take the brunt of all costs after that, rent, rates, wages etc......

I don't work for a gaming retailer by the way. I don't even work for a company ha

If they are going to insist on doing the whole DLC thing, at least make sure that you're doing it right. Joystiq has a story of people getting wrong, incomplete, absent DLC codes. Some people are actually getting a slip of paper, but no code printed on it. Something has gone wrong along the way. I hope this doesn't affect the EU versions of the game.
    Ugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Just finished the 2nd dvd in volume two of the animated series. 6 discs down 2 to go :(
    wish I could find the 3rd volume. When i'm done watching these i'm watching the films yep even the Adam West one (might skip the clooney one even if I had a crush on alicia silverstone when I was younger). Don't have Live at the moment so i'm pissed about the DLC,the Catwoman one in particular cause I preordered this aaaaages ago & was buying this new so a customer like me is getting screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jack_gllghr

Has anywhere in Ireland broke the street date yet??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

ShaneU wrote: »
    Is the catwoman dlc with every new copy of the game or just this steelbook version?

The Catwoman dlc is with every new copy of the game including the regular edition . It requires XBL/PSN to get it though. It is very worrying to read that joystiq story about the Cocked up codes in the US. That happens far too often with dlc codes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Squaredude

this game is awesome.cant stop playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

GTR63 wrote: »
    The Catwoman dlc is with every new copy of the game including the regular edition . It requires XBL/PSN to get it though. It is very worrying to read that joystiq story about the Cocked up codes in the US. That happens far too often with dlc codes.

reviewers are saying play The Catwoman dlc first, before you start the main game.. playing the dlc adds to the main game.

Under the Red Hood was excellent! Any other Batman animated films like that besides Year One?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

Under the Red Hood was excellent! Any other Batman animated films like that besides Year One?

There were a few film spin-offs from Batman:the Animated Series- Mask of the Phantasm,Sub-Zero and Mystery of the Batwoman, all of which are pretty decent.Then Batman Beyond has Return of the Joker which is really dark and really good! Other than that, theres Batman:Gotham Nights that is sort of connected to The Dark Knight/Batman Begins.

The best of that bunch, I think, are Mask of the Phantasm and Return of the Joker

Advertisement