Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman Arkham City Thread

Comments

Jofspring wrote: »
    There is also a flip side to that. I want value for money too and regularly buy online but lets not forget the bricks and mortar shops are the ones employing people in this country and need to be supported too.

Does that give them an excuse to charge uncompetitive prices or profiteer on second hand sales? Why would i support a retail chain that's screwing me out of money, irish or not, instead of supporting an industry i have loved for years that's given me thousands of hours of pleasure and entertainment for a very reasonable price?

This is slightly off topic, i know, so apologies, but as a consumer i will vote with my feet and won't support ripoff Ireland, or any other kind of ripoff culture. As a consumer, my first loyalty is to my pocket and to keeping as much money as possible in it to look after my family, and if it's unpatriotic not to bend over and take a little bit more of the celtic tiger middle finger from unscrupulous retailers, then i'm fine with that. If i can support both myself AND irish jobs, great, that's what i'll do, but my primary concern is my pocket and getting the best deal.

This whole "pulling on the green jersey" BS is just a euphamism for "we need you to continue being screwed a little bit longer because we messed up the country, and we need YOU to dig us out, so keep paying a higher price than you need to, keep getting screwed, and don't shop around".

Sorry, i'm not buying it. I shop where the best value is, end of story, and if irish retailers want my money then they should learn to be more competitive and stop screwing their customers. I have no problem supporting any that are operating fairly, but they are few and far between.
    ziggyman17 wrote: »
    reviewers are saying play The Catwoman dlc first, before you start the main game.. playing the dlc adds to the main game.

Just INSTALL it before you start the story mode. If you don't, the catwoman missions don't appear in the storyline. Once you install them you can go back and play them later from the main menu though, apparently.
    GTR63 wrote: »
    It is very worrying to read that joystiq story about the Cocked up codes in the US. That happens far too often with dlc codes.

Make sure if you're using walk-in retailers that you check the box contents while you're still in the store, to make sure the DLC code is in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Sesudra wrote: »
    The best of that bunch, I think, are Mask of the Phantasm and Return of the Joker

Definitely worth a watch.

There are 2 versions of Return of the Joker though, a kid friendly version and an uncut one, the uncut one is class.

Sub-Zero is worth a watch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Sub-Zero is worth a watch too.

Should have known you'd be a fan of "Sub-Zero" ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I know a few people in the States who have this and it's only getting positive feedback.

I won't be doing much this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

Exactly. I remember when i bought XBox360 games when they first came out they were really expensive. Gears of war 1 cost me 65 euro, PLUS a slew of DLC map packs i paid for in the months after release. There's a worldwide recession on, prices are down, and games devs need to get paid for their work too. As far as i'm concerned, as long as it's decent DLC and im charged a reasonable amount for it, and i have the choice whether to read a review and buy it or not, then whats the problem? Five years ago i'd have been forced to pay more and would have got the content whether i liked it or not, at best. Sometimes i just got a crap game for that price.

Games development revenue streams have changed. Now you pay 30 or 40 euros for a new release, and have a choice if you want to pay a fiver for some extra content that you like the look of. Wheres the problem with that? Better price, more choice.

I'm all for supporting good developers, it makes games like arkham city more likely to happen, and that's a good thing in my book, and if paying developers directly for good add on content is part of that, im ok with it.

I would have more of an issue with retailer specific DLC for pre-orders, and the ripoff resale prices that game stores have been getting away with for years. The greedy retailers are the problem here, not the developers, all the devs are looking for is a fair cut of the sale price for every sale. A retailer makes more profit on a second sale of a big game than they make on the initial first person transaction on release day. The seller gets shafted, the devs get nothing, and the shop profits massively. There's no sense in that.

To be honest, if it was a game that needed an online pass that i really wanted to play, i would buy a new copy cheaper on the net versus a preowned copy plus the cost of the DLC from an irish store, just to begrudge the retailer's profiteering and to support the developer and the industry instead....but that's just me.

You can get great deals online for new games a few months after launch versus irish pre-owned retail store prices anyway. Without the extra cost of the DLC "activation code" or "vip pass" add-on because you're buying it new it always works out roughly the same, and the only person who loses out is the greedy retailer, so meh...

Believe it or not Gears 3 has an RRP of €64.99 and cost roughly the same to the retailler as Gears 1. The retail industry here as changed completely. Back when Gears 1 came out retaillers sold at the RRP and were not so focussed on the pre owned market. Yes there was a trade in market but it was maybe 10-15% of a store whereas these days it's closer to 70% of stock. Now we have a frankly ridiculous situation where stores here make little to no money on new games (sometimes selling at a loss) in order to get people into the store with games to trade in. The high margins on pre owned games are making up for the low / minus margins on new game sales.

This leads to the common perception that the bricks and mortar stores here are "greedy" etc for selling pre owned games at high margins but if the sale of pre owned games was banned outright the new game prices will be back up to the €65 - €70 that the publishers recommend.

Game developers revenue streams have changed - but they are effectively on the same fixed price per new game - developers have not taken a hit on the lower priced new games. Where they have taken a hit most definitely is where the pre owned market has now cannibalised the new game sales.

Prior to this shift I would have felt that the pre owned market / trade ins fueled new game sales but so much focus has now shifted to pre owned that it has now started to hurt and have a negative impact on new game sales. This is why the developers and publishers are now looking towards online passes and lots more DLC as a revenue stream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,855 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Let's get the b&m price list started

GAME:
    Gamestop: 54.99
    Xtra-vision:
    Tesco: 54.95
    HMV: 45.99
    Smyths:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

ShaneU wrote: »
    Let's get the b&m price list started

GAME:
    Gamestop:
    Xtra-vision:
    Tesco: 54.95
    HMV:
    Smyths:

HMV told me last week when I pre-ordered it would be 45.99 for standard or HMV sleeved one with an extra suit or something (Tshirt and comic for pre-ordering too) , the collectors edition was 69.99 I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Was in Gamestop today and its 55 euro.

The CE was 80 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Was in Gamestop today and its 55 euro.

The CE was 80 euro.
    If given the choice, why anyone would buy the game from Gamestop, v's HMV is beyond me.

• Advertisement

Believe it or not Gears 3 has an RRP of €64.99 and cost roughly the same to the retailler as Gears 1. The retail industry here as changed completely.........Now we have a frankly ridiculous situation where stores here make little to no money on new games (sometimes selling at a loss) in order to get people into the store with games to trade in. The high margins on pre owned games are making up for the low / minus margins on new game sales

That's an interesting opposite perspective on my argument, thanks. I had no idea that publisher's RRP was still so high.

I just paid €40 for my copy of Gears 3, which was about standard across most shops here, give or take a fiver, so unless that was sold below cost, then retailers here had been getting away with obscene margins for years when they were selling at €60-70.

Maybe this current trend of new big name games costing €40-45 is part of a levelling out of the market that should have happened years ago? I would have no problem at all paying up to €50 as a new release RRP for a game like arkham city if that's where the market levelled out to, particularly if the shop's pre-owned pricing wasn't completely insulting. Given the value i'll get out of a major new release title like AA, i feel 50 euro is a fair price for everyone involved, me, the retailer, and the publisher, but when you get upwards of that you're asking a bit much.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

That's an interesting opposite perspective on my argument, thanks. I had no idea that publisher's RRP was still so high.

I just paid €40 for my copy of Gears 3, which was about standard across most shops here, give or take a fiver, so unless that was sold below cost, then retailers here had been getting away with obscene margins for years when they were selling at €60-70.

Maybe this current trend of new big name games costing €40-45 is part of a levelling out of the market that should have happened years ago? I would have no problem at all paying up to €50 as a new release RRP for a game like arkham city if that's where the market levelled out to, particularly if the shop's pre-owned pricing wasn't completely insulting. Given the value i'll get out of a major new release title like AA, i feel 50 euro is a fair price for everyone involved, me, the retailer, and the publisher, but when you get upwards of that you're asking a bit much.

Cost price to us for Gears 3 was as high as €48 VAT included - it is cheaper for us to buy off the high street than off microsofts official distributor. I'm sure bigger players in the market have a better price but even the Distributors here in Ireland were paying more for the game to Microsoft than most game retaillers were selling it for. That's how crazy the market is.

If there was no pre owned sales there is no way that the games would be sold for the current prices (unless of course publishers dropped the price to the retailler in tandem with the pre owned sales stopping)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Just read on Eurogamer that HMV UK are offering a nice trade-in deal for AC:
    At HMV. Oh but it's a trade-in deal. Trade back Rage or Forza Motorsport 4 and you can buy Batman: Arkham City for £0.99.

Alternatively, trade Forza 4, Gears 3, X-Men Destiny or FIFA 12 back to Game, and Batman: Arkham City will be yours for £4.99.

Anyone hear if this will be extended to ROI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Also, some of the bonus skins look class, especially the TDKR and Beyond ones:

arkham-city.png

(Apologies if posted already).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Whats the best way to get an xbox controller working on a pc? Want to play this on pc with a pad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

awww no adam west man?! :(

:pac:

Tusky wrote: »
    Whats the best way to get an xbox controller working on a pc? Want to play this on pc with a pad.
    If it's wired then just plug it in.(Charging cables dont work) If it's wireless then you'll need a dongle. You can get them from dealextreme too, but aren't legit. Mine works great from them, BUT I had a tiny bit of trouble getting the driver to work on it but got there after some help from the website users and reviews directed me towards a solution.
    You can buy packs with a wireless controller and a dongle together that are from Microsoft so you wont run into the problem with the driver if you buy the official/legit one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

awww no adam west man?! :(

:pac:

Damn it, he's right. The whole game just isn't worth buying now. :(

Cost price to us for Gears 3 was as high as €48 VAT included - it is cheaper for us to buy off the high street than off microsofts official distributor. I'm sure bigger players in the market have a better price but even the Distributors here in Ireland were paying more for the game to Microsoft than most game retaillers were selling it for.

That is bananas. So to make any money of of some of the big titles while still managing to be competitively priced you have to have massive purchasing power to get discounts.

That's a shame, it puts more power in the hands of the powerful retailers and big publishers, and squeezes the small guys and stops them from ever growing. Seems like a funny way to run a publishing operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Quick question to people who have used Gamestop more than me, was gonna just go in and buy it from a shop on friday but saw it is 9-10 euro cheaper online so just ordered it there, i didnt choose express post so how likely am i to receive it on friday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just saw in the trophy list that there is no trophy for clearing it on Hard this time? Strange. I spose handy tho as Game+ uses the same difficulty level as the 1st playthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭cableguy.ie

VinLieger wrote: »
    Quick question to people who have used Gamestop more than me, was gonna just go in and buy it from a shop on friday but saw it is 9-10 euro cheaper online so just ordered it there, i didnt choose express post so how likely am i to receive it on friday?

From a few other threads most people have commented that they get the game on release day or before them. So you have a good chance of getting it Friday. But saying that I ordered Gears of War 3 and didn't get it till the Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

If it's wired then just plug it in.(Charging cables dont work) If it's wireless then you'll need a dongle. You can get them from dealextreme too, but aren't legit. Mine works great from them, BUT I had a tiny bit of trouble getting the driver to work on it but got there after some help from the website users and reviews directed me towards a solution.
    You can buy packs with a wireless controller and a dongle together that are from Microsoft so you wont run into the problem with the driver if you buy the official/legit one.

Ordered the dealextreme one, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Just saw in the trophy list that there is no trophy for clearing it on Hard this time? Strange. I spose handy tho as Game+ uses the same difficulty level as the 1st playthrough.

That's a bit of a shame! Cleared it on normal, then hard last with AA, and hard properly feels like being Batman. Definitely starting off on hard this time!

Just got emailed that my CE from Gamestop has just shipped :D I am excite! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Got my email saying my copy has shipped. Should be here tomorrow. I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve, or like me, the day before I get a Batman game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

NotorietyH wrote: »
    Got my email saying my copy has shipped. Should be here tomorrow. I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve, or like me, the day before I get a Batman game.

Snap! :D I feel an avatar change coming...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Snapety SNAP!

Think I might have to unsub from this thread until my copy is brought over from the UK via my girlfriend on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

I wish I ordered from gamestop now :(... Was too lazy to lodge the money into bank though to use laser... Will have to pick it up in GAME on Friday and hopefully it won't cost more than 50euro anyways... I just can not wait for this game...

• Advertisement

I wish I ordered from gamestop now :(... Was too lazy to lodge the money into bank though to use laser... Will have to pick it up in GAME on Friday and hopefully it won't cost more than 50euro anyways... I just can not wait for this game...
    HMV is your friend then if you're looking for it under €50
    Think someone said it was €46 there

Advertisement