Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman Arkham City Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Branoic wrote: »
    I didn't preorder but I just bought it in GameStop and got handed a sheet with three preorder codes. Nice.
    What content did you get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

jesus even the menu screens are epic, right, putting kettle on, phone off, headphones on , see you tomorrow world

Right. Haven't stopped playing this since last night at midnight, except to sleep, and eat. This is the first chance to post anything substantial I've had (am waiting in eddie rockets for my dinner :-).

This thing screams epicness. One of the best openings I think I've ever played, and without giving anything away, I love how they're solving the issue of getting new gadgets and things and adding to your arsenal as the game goes on. The atmosphere in the city is spot on, really spot on, and I love the intimidatory tannoi announcements by strange in particular.

If there was a single criticism so far (and it's only a tiny one) it would be that there's so much to do you can literally get lost in it. It's so easy to get sidetracked for hours and find yourself lost. The bat signal is handy but the map and waypoint guidance could be tweaked a bit, both indoor and out.

The riddler trophies and sections are great. I have no idea how im gonna backtrack and find them all, and there's no way I'm doing them all before I finish the story, it'd take forever.

Quick tip for anybody just starting it. Make sure to do the first four augmented reality challenges early. They're down on the waterline around the tower cranes in jokers turf, marked by a red bat symbol. They unlock your grapnel boost which makes flying and getting around the city so much easier and cooler :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭recyclops

2 hrs in, why did i agree to go to the pub on batday, i keep gettin sidetracked and doin training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭CptMackey

recyclops wrote: »
    2 hrs in, why did i agree to go to the pub on batday, i keep gettin sidetracked and doin training.

I know how your feeling. Friends over drinking and they have no interest in gaming. Why won't they go home n let me play batman :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Grapnel boost is great, i can fly kinda

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭theothers108

jesus 8 hrs has flew playing this its amazing ,i love catwoman lol

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I hate all you console kiddies with every fibre of my beautiful PC Gamer Master Race body.

But it's okay, DX11 will make up for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Have the game but not on my own xbox until sunday , does the dlc integrate into the story or is it separate to the main game?

Don't want to start the main game if the DLC is needed for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

calex71 wrote: »
    Have the game but not on my own xbox until sunday , does the dlc integrate into the story or is it separate to the main game?

The catwoman dlc does hold a fairly prominent role in the plot.

• Advertisement

Have the game but not on my own xbox until sunday , does the dlc integrate into the story or is it separate to the main part

It integrates into it but it's kinda self contained. The game cuts away from what's going on with batman and they're kind of self contained chapters. There's an option to play them separately in the menu too. TBH if it was a choice between waiting to play them together or starting the story now, I'd start now, it's just too good.

There are also some catwoman specific trophies that you need the DLC to be able to get at. Anyone but her gets a shock if they touch them. I kinda thought that sucked by rocksteady/WB especially if you need them for the 100% complete :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Corkfeen wrote: »

The catwoman dlc does hold a fairly prominent role in the plot.

Should I play catwomen first or after? Does it matter do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

CptMackey wrote: »
    Should I play catwomen first or after? Does it matter do you think?

You play them both at the same time. The game swaps you between the two characters at certain points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just got stuck in a glitch. Playing as Catwoman for the 1st time after it cuts from playing as B-Man. I was running along the street and tried to jump over a car. Instead I get stuck inside the car in 1st person and can't move at all. Ah time to call it a night anyway. Quality quality game! I'm def not trying to solve every riddle til I clear the game or i'll be stuck forever.

Are there any riddle maps this time or do you just scan them to save them to the map?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Just got stuck in a glitch. Playing as Catwoman for the 1st time after it cuts from playing as B-Man. I was running along the street and tried to jump over a car. Instead I get stuck inside the car in 1st person and can't move at all. Ah time to call it a night anyway. Quality quality game! I'm def not trying to solve every riddle til I clear the game or i'll be stuck forever.

Are there any riddle maps this time or do you just scan them to save them to the map?

What's your impressions so far man? Birthday this weekend so very tempted to pick it up :D

Fantastic game, the controls and game mechanics are spot on, both Bats and Catwoman are a joy to control, the graphics are great and the music is brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Catwoman plays very nicely alright. 2-3 hours in and I have yet to solve a riddle! This game is BIG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Is it just me or is there ridiculous amounts of tearing.
    Do I need a better screen???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

my biggest gripe with the game is I keep picking up radio messages but I cant find where they are coming from sometimes. They sound like side quests but there are no map indicators of them (excpet for the TITAN one)

aside from that its fairly impressive but hasnt given me the same *WOW* factor Arkham asylum gave me in the first 30 minutes. Mostly because of the above complaint puts the pacing waaay off.

Solved a few riddles though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,855 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Nolan North is great as The Penguin :D Mark Hamill too, goes without saying

• Advertisement

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    my biggest gripe with the game is I keep picking up radio messages but I cant find where they are coming from sometimes. They sound like side quests but there are no map indicators of them (excpet for the TITAN one)

aside from that its fairly impressive but hasnt given me the same *WOW* factor Arkham asylum gave me in the first 30 minutes. Mostly because of the above complaint puts the pacing waaay off.

Solved a few riddles though.

if you tap L2 (on ps3) to go into detective mode you can see who's talking, it'll be someone nearby with radio waves over their head, its mostly extra plot info altough if you go into the basement in the coutrhouse early on
    you find calendar man talking about halloween in a cell, you need the electro gun thingy to open it, didnt have it at the time though so will go back and see what happens

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Fantastic game. I'm really blown away by the quality of the side missions.

krudler wrote: »
    if you tap L2 (on ps3) to go into detective mode you can see who's talking, it'll be someone nearby with radio waves over their head, its mostly extra plot info altough if you go into the basement in the coutrhouse early on
    you find calendar man talking about halloween in a cell, you need the electro gun thingy to open it, didnt have it at the time though so will go back and see what happens

I knew that, and its fine in some cases. But there have been few too many points where I am up swinging around a belltower and a dialogue would begin and even in detective mode I would spend ages moving around trying to spot who's talking (mostly one from political prisoners complaining about not having any food has driven up the wall trying to find them as I assumed it was a side quest.)

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    I knew that, and its fine in some cases. But there have been few too many points where I am up swinging around a belltower and a dialogue would begin and even in detective mode I would spend ages moving around trying to spot who's talking (mostly one from political prisoners complaining about not having any food has driven up the wall trying to find them as I assumed it was a side quest.)

you are a bit bombarded with info and hud stuff at times alright, between stats and side missions and "press select to view something" and everything else its easy to get a bit overwhelmed with what exactly you're meant to do.

Mark Hamill is as amazing as ever as The Joker, Two Face is very cool, cant believe thats Nathan Drake as The Penguin :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Was gonna drive down to tesco there and get it.But for 55 euro when its 42 in HMV.Ill wait till tomorrow thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

Does anyone else find the training sidequest really hard? Spent hours doing em' -_- This is my GOTY so far! Really loving every single moment of it.

Ok sunk a few more hours into.

it is really good. But initial impressions where a bit shaky. It doesnt pull you in as easily as Arkham Asylum does, there is a bit too much of the backstory pushed too quickly through or left off the game. Also I dont know if it's what has happened with the comics since the last game, but a lot seemed to have shifted since the last game (where's oracle?). I guess Arkham Asylum worked much more with elements recognised from the series on a easier level. Cause Arkham City (a bizarre bastardisation of No Man's Land) is a new concept it doesnt click with you in the same way as the first game.

Couple that with how it throws so much stuff at you in such a small space I wasnt feeling it in the main plot, I wasnt clicking as easily as Arkham asylum when its brawling or when its predator when you are in the open world until you learn to spot gun carrying thugs by them being orange. Blame that probably on out of practice.

Then I start the riddler side quest and I remember now why Arkham Asylum is one of the few 100% games I own. Forgot about the main quest for a bit and did the riddles and hostage rooms. Yeah its a damn good game.

But battlefield 3 is next week so I'm holding my GOTY until I taste the full title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

DarkJager wrote: »
    What's your impressions so far man? Birthday this weekend so very tempted to pick it up :D

Brilliant so far, Just quality in every area. It can be a bit overwhelming with the size of the open area and amount of things to do but thats better than a game with noting to do. Dark, did you play arkham asylum? that was my GOTY when that came out so I might be a bit biased with this one.

Oh, and I never knew North did the Penguin haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Got Batman Arkham City at 11:30am yesterday and played it straight through until 2am. Some game.

Very pleased with the story, thought it was choppy and didn't fit at all at first
    but then Rá's showed up again and the pieces all fit together. Joker having Clayface was a great twist, but a slightly disappointing final boss. Would also have liekd an extra bit on the end
    , but fantastic overall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

OK so decided to start this on the xbox that isnt mine, couldn't wait any longer.

Noticed there was a 3D option there and some info in the manual about Trioviz, did a quick google on them seems they work on 2D TVs , anyway had a pair of the oldschool red/green glasses here and they work albeit uncomfortably but the results were impressive enough to make me wonder where I could get a pair of the trioviz specs and for how much , bricks and mortar only as I dont want to wait for them :D

Advertisement