Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman Arkham City Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Kenny_D wrote: »
    I dunno, I think it makes it really immersive when moving around the city! It's my first 3d game though and I like that it isn't overly done by popping stuff out of the screen at you every few mins

i suppose your right, uncharted 3 annoys me sometimes with the 3D..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Man, I'm rusty. I'm getting slaughtered out there. Decided to start it on hard since I'm alright at Arkham Asylum. Still havent gotten used to it. Getting destroyed by the thugs outside the courthouse. I really need to get some more practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Why go to all the hassle for the sake of one euro?
    That way he can get the version that GAME is selling with the Robin DLC and not pay the asking price of €55.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I started on normal even tho I am an expert at Asylum :D and finding it way too easy. If I want to switch to Hard, do I have to start again? If so, feck that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

648.97 537.84

9 23 9 12 12 18 5 20 21 18 14 2 1 20 13 1 14

• Advertisement

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I started on normal even tho I am an expert at Asylum :D and finding it way too easy. If I want to switch to Hard, do I have to start again? If so, feck that.

I started it on Hard after someone earlier in the thread said it was too easy.

I died TWICE on the first part and just said I'd switch before I got a headache constantly restarting each fighting section.

Having experience with AA is irrelevant(contrary to the info section) as it's just reaction timing, you either have it or you don't, they hit a lot quicker and 4 hits was a death.

Granted you could just constantly counter, but what fun would that be?... either too easy or too hard, I know which one I prefer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Haven't enjoyed a game this much since, well, Arkham Asylum. Loving that you have to basically re learn the combat, the new quick items really change things up. Could write an essay on why this is the best game of the year so far (better then Portal 2, by a hair I reckon). Skyrim better be bringing it's A game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

For anyone else a bit miffed at the lack of a manual with the game ( thats the last 3 games that I got now that didn't have one GOW3, Forza and now Batman) you can download an official copy in pdf format from here

http://community.batmanarkhamcity.com/news/latest/item/201-official-batman-arkham-city-game-manual

Took me a while to find it, as I know it said on the slip that game to go to the site but wasn't obvious where it was.

Handy for those like me who need to brush up on a few things.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Remouad wrote: »
    For anyone who hasn't bought arkham city yet:
    Game are offering arkham city for 99c when you trade in selected games.
    Hmv are selling gears of war 3 for €41.98.
    So you can trade that in game and get arkham city with the robin dlc for €42.97! :)

Game are selling arkham city for 55 euro with the robin dlc.
    This way you can get it €12 cheaper!

Just finished the story earlier (no spoilers).

The ending was great. Makes me wonder where they will go from there.

Now to get started on all the other millions of things to do :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

For anyone who hasn't bought arkham city yet:
    Game are offering arkham city for 99c when you trade in selected games.
    Hmv are selling gears of war 3 for €41.98.
    So you can trade that in game and get arkham city with the robin dlc for €42.97! :)

Game are selling arkham city for 55 euro with the robin dlc.
    This way you can get it €12 cheaper!
    Sorry read the post wrong. thought it meant buying GOW3 for 41.98, then trading it in for 99c when it's worth only 42.99 in the first place.

Anyway I'll be picking this up Monday myself as I'm away from my PS3 til then :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Brilliant game so far, pretty pissed that there is no manual though. I pay 50e for a game I expect a manual with it. I hate this eco bull****.

I'm
    looking for mr freeze at the coldest point in Gotham now. Anywhere I should be looking?

DarkJager wrote: »
    Brilliant game so far, pretty pissed that there is no manual though. I pay 50e for a game I expect a manual with it. I hate this eco bull****.

I'm
    looking for mr freeze at the coldest point in Gotham now. Anywhere I should be looking?

I linked to it earlier http://community.batmanarkhamcity.co...ty-game-manual
    As I said seems to be a new thing, go down load your own which is a bit cheeky of them for sure :(

calex71 wrote: »

I linked to it earlier http://community.batmanarkhamcity.co...ty-game-manual
    As I said seems to be a new thing, go down load your own which is a bit cheeky of them for sure :(

Cheers man. I still dont see a point to it though. Why should I pay 50 quid just to be directed to a website to viewinstructions for use? I expect my games to come with instructions and I couldn't care less about saving the planet.

From now on any developer that doesn't include a booklet is simply never getting my cash again.

Ya fuk the planet, Gotham is the only place I'm interested in saving!! Looking for fridge man myself, damn riddles keep me straying tho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Just beat
    ra's
    on hard, and have most upgrade that i can get, still some grey out.

2 hours to go apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

So i have been following this game abit since release. The platforming and exploration aspects of the game seem really good but there is one single thing that seems pretty shallow. The combat. Judging from video reviews and gameplay trailer it seems that its X to attack and Y to counter. Tell me im wrong cause i was gonna pick this up (after pricedrop, to many other games to play) but this is kinda a deal breaker...
    The combat is excellent, very easy to get into, but difficult to master, timing is crucial, as special moves are only available after a large enough combo. Even then the special move must string the combo together. They also mix it up really well with some enemy's being immune to certain attacks and some enemies that must be left till last.

It's simple, but effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,855 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

The combat is brilliant. Trying to get high combos keeps it interesting

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

PC System Requirements:
    Minimum System Requirements

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP, Vista or 7
    CPU: Dual-Core CPU 2.4 Ghz
    RAM: 2GB
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA 8800 or ATI 3800 with 512MB of VRAM
    Sound: Microsoft Windows XP/Vista or 7 compatible sound card (100% DirectX 9.0c-compatible)
    DVD-ROM: Quad-speed (4x) DVD-ROM drive
    Hard Drive: 17.5GB free disk space
    Input Devices: 100% Windows XP/Vista or 7 compatible mouse and keyboard

Recommended System Requirements

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7
    CPU: Dual-Core CPU 2.5 GHz
    RAM: 4GB
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 or ATI Radeon HD 6850 with 768MB+ of VRAM (DirectX 11 compatible)
    Sound: Microsoft Windows XP/Vista or 7 compatible sound card (100% DirectX 9.0c-compatible)
    DVD-ROM: Quad-speed (4x) DVD-ROM drive
    Hard Drive: 17.5 GB free disk space
    Input Devices: 100% Windows XP/Vista or 7 compatible mouse and keyboard or Xbox 360 Controller for Windows

Source

Love the grapnel boost! Just spent 20 mins flying around the city with it, dropping in to break some faces then flying away again :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

i'd love a level in which you are driving the batmobile

am i asking too much?

I just can't get into it :(

Don't know what it is, loved Arkham Asylum, with this I find it very difficult to motivate myself to get back to it. I've put maybe 3 or 4 hours into it.

From what has been said here I guess I'm the 1 in 1,000,000 who doesn't like it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

^^ Maybe it's the iffy pacing since it's open world? In that case just do the main missions. Just at
    Wonder City
    and the storyline's ramped up a bit; it was excellent in AA with Joker constantly chatting to you but AC has been a bit lacking in comparison.

What's the Robin DLC? Is there any stuff like the Catwoman single player addition DLC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

from what im reading i must be near the end and tbh i only put about 6-7 hours into it.. think i have an hour or two left..

The combat is excellent, very easy to get into, but difficult to master, timing is crucial, as special moves are only available after a large enough combo.

the combat is cool. Im not sure if i prefer asylum's combat or not, it feels like city's is a lot busier, faster, and has more to think about. Some of the special moves are a little unusual at the moment, not very intuitive, but i thought the same about AA before i really got into it in the challenge modes.

The blade dodge takedown is giving me trouble at the moment. I just dont seem to be getting my brain to register doing it in time. Its hard to spot the knife guys in the fight, they're not very distinctive looking, and the counter icon is really short before they attack. Ive been mostly just flipping over them and attacking from behind or avoiding them till i can do a combo takedown on them.

The "disarm and destroy" takedown is fantastic for dealing with weapons and getting them out of the way permanently. If you like combat, get it asap. Batman does a takedown and then smashes the gun in two so its out of the picture alltogether. Also using the disruptor to nobble any nearby guns before dropping into a scrap is very cool.

Quick tip for anyone who hasnt figured it out yet: the beatdown (cape stun, and then spam the attack button) is a great way to get your combo up quickly to get special moves available if you can get enough space/time to do 4 or 5 hits. Theres a great fight with 20-30 guys in the courthouse after the story mode is over and i found it very handy there. Thinning out the numbers quickly became crucual to surviving, so i was focusing on doing combo takedowns, and that was the fastest way i could figure out to do it. If you get a guy on his own on the edge of the fight, do a cape stun & beatdown on him but flip back into the bunch before you knock him out and use the takedown you just earned on someone else, then repeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

If I got this on the PC when it comes out should I be able to play it with a PS3 controller would anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

calex71 wrote: »
    I just can't get into it :(

Don't know what it is, loved Arkham Asylum, with this I find it very difficult to motivate myself to get back to it. I've put maybe 3 or 4 hours into it.

From what has been said here I guess I'm the 1 in 1,000,000 who doesn't like it :D

I cant explain this too well, but there's been games I loved and when I played the sequel i just wasn't into them ... didn't know what was wrong. It wasnt like the game was crap too. Then i'd stop playing and return months later and get into it. Its like I wasnt in the humor to play the game around that time.

Could be that Calex :) cause you say you enjoyed the first so much.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Since it's a GFWL (or God Awful] as I like to call it) game it'll support the 360 controller out of the box. You'll most likely have to use some key binding software like xpadder to get it working. I'd search for Arkham Asylum PS3 controller support and assume that there's no change for AC.

I'll tell ye one thing, Christian Bale would do well to take some tips from Conroy on how to voice Batman! Conroy and Hamill are hands down the best Bats and Joker of all the films, animated or not.

• Advertisement

LighterGuy wrote: »
    I cant explain this too well, but there's been games I loved and when I played the sequel i just wasn't into them ... didn't know what was wrong. It wasnt like the game was crap too. Then i'd stop playing and return months later and get into it. Its like I wasnt in the humor to play the game around that time.

Could be that Calex :) cause you say you enjoyed the first so much.

Yeah I think you're right, I mean I went off and played Gears of War last night and had a ball and then when I booted up Batman this morning I was like ah I'm not in the mood back to Gears :)

Advertisement