Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman Arkham City Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

I think the combat is absolutely fantastic. It's only as complicated as you want to make it. When you start hitting 30x plus combos it's just a thing of beauty. Taking out of a room of guys without missing a beat is just so damn empowering. You don't have to use gadgets if you don't want to and if you took out some of the weapons used against you every fight would be a walkover. The knife etc. make you have to think of fights tactically rather than just doing the same thing over and over. Build up a combo, use the weapon dismantling combo ability to take out weapons first, and work from there. I wouldn't change a thing about the combo system myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I think the AR Training missions are a blight on this otherwise excellent game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

If you clear the game and go into game plus, are all the riddler trophies reset?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

If you clear the game and go into game plus, are all the riddler trophies reset?

No, there are only 1 set of riddles per save ( ie game and new game +).

You can see on your stats, mission completed is seperate for each but there are only 1 set of riddles.

Does anyone know how to do the batclaw takedown, where he pulls a goon towards him airborne with it and then smacks him one in mid air?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Varik wrote: »
    No, there are only 1 set of riddles per save ( ie game and new game +).

You can see on your stats, mission completed is seperate for each but there are only 1 set of riddles.
    It resets the organ riddle in the church, but everything else is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Finally finished the riddler missions, thanks christ the cat woman trophies count to unlock them because some of the batman ones were a right pain in the butt.

Good end to the best missions in the game, very "saw" in a way I though, especially that last one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Does anyone know how to do the batclaw takedown, where he pulls a goon towards him airborne with it and then smacks him one in mid air?

Use the quick batclaw (Left trigger and Y i think?) and then tap X when he stumbles towards you !

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

Didn't enjoy this as much as AA and imo has been overrated

I liked the story but once again too short

Side missions weren't as good as I had expected, plus there wasn't many of them. Some to me seemed pointless as they were only there to give the villian a cameo and suffered the same problem as the main story being too short.

Riddler trophies feel like filler and thats were most of the game time will go, I only have something like 170 of them and already I'm bored of the repetition and gruel of getting them

All in all its a good game but not as good as I was expecting, with AA I enjoyed it so much I felt compelled to get 100% and a plat with AC I'm just not arsed and bored of it after a week, but thats just my opinion and feelings on the game

TheTosh wrote: »
    Didn't enjoy this as much as AA and imo has been overrated...All in all its a good game but not as good as I was expecting, with AA I enjoyed it so much I felt compelled to get 100% and a plat with AC I'm just not arsed and bored of it after a week, but thats just my opinion and feelings on the game

I'm very much the same. I enjoyed it but I think it suffers from the curse of the sequel. The fact that it doesn't have that wow factor that AA had, because there was nothing like it at the time is definitely apparent to me. It's definitely not as compelling a game. It's a lot of fun to free roam and just "be" batman, but aside from that, I think the story was tighter and more focused in AA. Several of the villains felt shoe-horned in, freeze and strange in particular seemed totally wasted to me, and many parts of the campaign felt a bit like filler, or grinding, which i hate. The wonder city and underground levels were a chore, as we're some of the indoor locations, and some of the side missions too. Also, now that I've done it all lots of times, flying around knocking out the same thugs in the same places sand hearing them say the same phrases while they walk in the same patrol patterns again and again is getting a little old.

Combat is fun, but isnt as compelling as AA and is more confusing, and there are just too many gadgets and buttons alltogether, to the point where using many of them never feels like its second nature. It's kind of controller overload.

To add to that, predator stealth modes feel way over complicated by all the stuff you can do, and they still suffer from all the same niggly control issues, especially if you're playing to try to get on the leaderboards with a fast time, it's incredibly difficult not to get frustrated at the control problems costing you time or getting you killed.

I'm surprised to find that I think AA is fractionally the better game, just by a nose, because I was really up for this. This is very good, but AA was really something special. I hate to say it, but if they had just scaled this back a bit, took the same city but made it simpler to navigate,stuck in less villains, less new moves, less gadgets, and a more focused storyline that used a handful of decent villains properly instead of squandering a cast of thousands, it could have been a better game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Finally finished the main story today (stupid work taking up my time!). I've never been too keen on boss fights, so I didn't mind that you could fairly breeze through most of these and didn't feel disappointed with the final one.

With regards the ending:
    quite a brave move to kill of Joker. I guess it makes sense if Hamill isn't going to do the voice again, and it's better than having someone else try and fill the role. It was also fairly poignent. I'm man enough to admit, I felt a little tug on my heartstrings during the credits. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

The game really is very short when you are not doing the side missions. Doing my NG+ and since I have all the riddles and upgrades etc done from my first game, I've only been playing for about 2 hours and Protocol 10 has already started.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭ga2k10

I got it and finished it within the day its very short and I saw an interview saying that the story is around 10 hours or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Just finished the main story last night. Loved the game and the story. It all ended pretty quickly like people say but overall I very much enjoyed it. Gonna fly through now trying to pick up the last 100 or so trophies and stuff then dive into the new game plus.

Still a bit more playing in this yet. Looking forward to the first date with Calendar man tomorrow as well.

djkeogh wrote: »
    Just finished the main story last night. Loved the game and the story. It all ended pretty quickly like people say but overall I very much enjoyed it. Gonna fly through now trying to pick up the last 100 or so trophies and stuff then dive into the new game plus.

Still a bit more playing in this yet. Looking forward to the first date with Calendar man tomorrow as well.

I'm looking forward to my last date with him tomorrow ;)

Did the rest offline and decided to hold off on the halloween one for the date stamp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

calex71 wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to my last date with him tomorrow ;)

Did the rest offline and decided to hold off on the halloween one for the date stamp.

Did you set the year to 2011 or 2012, i set it to 11 first but got a corrupt error.

seems to work now.

Varik wrote: »
    Did you set the year to 2011 or 2012, i set it to 11 first but got a corrupt error.

seems to work now.

I started with 2011 and went to 2012 for new years day then.

Cheaters :P im going to put the game on every day thats marked. It may be a bit anal of me but sure what else do i have to do with me life :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Has anybody seen the Arkham City Graphic Novel on sale anywhere would like to pick it up.
    Its advertised in the booklet in the games box with the imposters beta code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

GTR63 wrote: »
    Has anybody seen the Arkham City Graphic Novel on sale anywhere would like to pick it up.
    Its advertised in the booklet in the games box with the imposters beta code.

http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/dp.asp?PRID=Batman+Arkham+City+HC_1142714

Comic and book shops will probably get it in the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

djkeogh wrote: »
    Looking forward to the first date with Calendar man tomorrow as well.

Thanks for reminding me! woot

That was a cool refrence to The Long Halloween :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Posted this in the bargain alerts page too

PC version of Arkham City is £14.95 (€17/18) on thehut.com.
    Unbelievable price for this. Not out until November 11th though. I wouldn't porder this from them though it you're looking for it on launch day. You WONT get it on launch day, or possibly even early the following week but a great price all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Finished the main story yesterday, far too short I thought, way too much of the percentage completion is warped up in the riddler trophies and the challenges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just finished it there, I enjoyed the story but def wasn't as strong as the 1st. I'm off now to do the rest of the side missions and riddler trophies. Oh better get to calendar man before midnight!

FU*KING BASTARD! After messing round with the last catwoman bit, i headed straight to the courthouse and calender man is babbling on about thanksgiving. i checked the ps3 clock and it says it is 00:33 1st nov. i never changed the clock when hour went back hahahahah

have to use the cheat now!

Flying through the story on new game plus. Man, I thought knife attackers were annoying on normal, once that counter indicator is gone they're even more of a pain.

It's really apparent how short the story itself is once you start out with all the gadgets. There's quite a bit of backtracking around levels for gadgets that doesnt need to happen when you start with a full inventory. It becomes obvious that the play time was padded out, but the core narrative doesn't have a lot of length to it. I've only played for a couple of hours, completely ignoring all the side mission stuff, and I'm already well into protocol ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

What is this talk on Calender man? Only got the game recently and juggling it with other games.

Very good so far, just beat
    the Penguin

tok9 wrote: »
    What is this talk on Calender man? Only got the game recently and juggling it with other games.

Very good so far, just beat
    the Penguin

Calender man is in a cell underneath the courthouse. There is a calender beside him with certain dates circled and he wants to talk to you on these days, one of them being Halloween. If you visit him on the 12 days throughout the year, you get a shiny trophy. Bollox acting you ask me. You can just go offline and change your system time as well to trick him.

• Advertisement

tok9 wrote: »
    What is this talk on Calender man?

He's in the basement of the courthouse, locked up. Visit him on the holidays marked on the calendar on the wall and talk to him. If you visit him on all the dates marked you get an achievement/trophy.

You can do it legitimately, which will take you months, or you can cheat by changing your system's clock to the dates in question.

EDIT: nuts, beaten to the reply button by 1 minute, lol.

Advertisement