Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman Arkham City Thread

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You can get some drivers for the PS3 controllers and connect it to play any game (you map it to key-presses that the game is expecting).

There is a guide here: http://www.davieslim.com/ps3/use-ps3-controller-in-windows-wireless-bluetooth/

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

You sure you're looking in the right places? I too finished it after I completed the game.

He has fixed spawn points but the order is random so you will have to travel between them to find him, that could have been the OP's problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

It seems to me that all the side missions are there to set up the next game. They do very little to progress/add to the main story of Arkham City. Which is a shame, although they can be fun/interesting at times. They really could have fleshed out certain things with the storyline (ingame) through these side missions and not rely on 'outside reading' such as the comics. To me, the whole story feels disjointed, suffering from too many characters, not enough time to flesh out them or the story. Dont get me wrong, it's great game but the execution of the narrative could have been done better, for me anyway.

calex71 wrote: »

He has fixed spawn points but the order is random so you will have to travel between them to find him, that could have been the OP's problem.
    You sure it's random? He appeared for me in the same sequence as in this guide.
    I had found him three time and looked to the guide to see where I could get him. Guide has the same sequence as me. Coincidence? Possibly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I had found him three time and looked to the guide to see where I could get him. Guide has the same sequence as me. Coincidence? Possibly.

Same for me, was at the points in that order

Anyone else having trouble with the Catwoman DLC on XBL? I got the game from gamestop and got a code for it, but then idiotically lost the page. So I went to the Buy Code option when you're prompted for Catwoman story, paid the 800 points and downloaded the DLC but it's still asking me for the code. Is there something else I'm missing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Yeah, the 2nd location in that guide was the 4th location in my game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

That side mission didn't even start for me until after the main game had finished, let alone finish then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I have the guide, and even then all they say is "A rooftop in the Bowery" so I ended up just wandering around in detective mode looking for a guy standing up still in blue.

You encounter Azrael 4 times, and while they are always the same 4 locations, he appears in a random order. The 5th is always the same place and is automatically activated once you find him in all 4 places and line up the map.

In story order, they would go:
    1. On the rooftop directly across the road from the Courthouse after rescuing Catwoman in the first mission. Usually everyones first encounter.
    2. On top of the carousel after visiting The Joker.
    3. Just west of GCPD building after rescuing
      Vicki Vale
    4. On a rooftop by the subway entrance in the Bowery after rescuing
      Quincy Sharp
    Also, make sure you throw your remote batarang at him at least once for a bonus trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

That whole post should be spoilered, not just the names.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Anyone getting the nightwing Pack? I didnt really want more challenge maps but i want to support DLC for the game in the hopes for more campaign DLC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Woohoo, only two weeks (and two days) to go! :(

I just did the wayne manor map, hes (Nightwing) actually stronger than batman, but slower. I really wish there was some story mode with him thought.

Anyone getting the nightwing Pack? I didnt really want more challenge maps but i want to support DLC for the game in the hopes for more campaign DLC.

Hmmm. I had been interested in the sidekicks DLC, but to be honest i'm not enjoying the challenge modes as much as i did in arkham asylum, and especially not with catwoman, who is just sub-par in comparison to Batman IMO. I think i must have been the only person i know who didn't enjoy playing as her, so i might give the 2 sidekicks a miss in favour of Uncharted 3 and Modern Warfare 3 and come back to them when the new year game releases lull happens. Maybe they'll be free by then, who knows...

If they release any campaign DLC i'll be all over it though. I'd love to see them releasing new game plots and story arcs based in the same city map, like Rockstar did with GTAIV and Red Dead Redemption. A few new mini-campaigns to keep us going between this and the next game would be excellent, and it's not like they don't have any villains left to choose from.
    Two face was more or less completely wasted in the main game, apart from all the "handbags" with catwoman, which was basically DLC, set apart from the main story. Batman only had about 3 minutes on screen with him.
    It'd be nice to see something coming out as DLC that expanded on what he got up to immediately after the events in AA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Wasn't a huge fan of Catwoman either and don't enjoy fighting as her as much as I did with Batman. Some of the challenge rooms in this bad boy are gonna take a long time to beat. especially those Campaign challenges where you have to get 3 stars in 3 maps in a row. Nasty stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Nightwing dlc for 6.99 , warner bros can eat a d1ck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I like Catwoman but the lack of a disarm move (X+Y on 360, square + triangle on PS3) makes that later Challenge modes impossible since you cant remove riot shields or stun batons from the mix like Batman can. Or at least it never worked for me anyways.

Though her area-effect wipe attack is great for making some breathing room.

It'd be nice to see something coming out as DLC that expanded on what he got up to immediately after the events in AA.
    Listen too the tapes in his profile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Ending was sudden and disappointing. Very few boss battles in total, couldn't believe that was the final one

I really think Jim Sterling's Destructoid review hit the nail on the head for me. Everything he says about the game is the truth imo. Usually not a major fan of him but this review really won some points with me. No way is this game a 10 for me but it's not far off. Fragmented storyline, underused characters, often frustrating combat mechanics all add up for me. I'd take Arkham Asylum any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Fiesta111

I really think Jim Sterling's Destructoid review hit the nail on the head for me. Everything he says about the game is the truth imo. Usually not a major fan of him but this review really won some points with me. No way is this game a 10 for me but it's not far off. Fragmented storyline, underused characters, often frustrating combat mechanics all add up for me. I'd take Arkham Asylum any day.

I just read it there, wow he wasn't letting back was he? good review, but it was a bit TOO in depth, like he had something against the game...:confused:

• Advertisement

Fiesta111 wrote: »
    I just read it there, wow he wasn't letting back was he? good review, but it was a bit TOO in depth, like he had something against the game...:confused:
    The thing I got from it is that he really loved Arkham Asylum. Something of a benchmark for him. A benchmark that Arkham City didnt meet, to a certain degree. I think he went in depth as he probably felt that he probably had to justify why the game didnt get a 9/10 or a 10/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Fiesta111

The thing I got from it is that he really loved Arkham Asylum. Something of a benchmark for him. A benchmark that Arkham City didnt meet, to a certain degree. I think he went in depth as he probably felt that he probably had to justify why the game didnt get a 9/10 or a 10/10.

Maybe its his Dark Knight to his Batman Begins. Both are great films, but the dark knight obviously steps it up a notch with I-max and what not.

Jim Sterling's Destructoid review hit the nail on the head for me. Everything he says about the game is the truth imo. Usually not a major fan of him but this review really won some points with me.

Yep, that's the best review I've read so far. It's exactly right. It's still a great game but it tried to shoe horn too much stuff in. The combat is TOO complex, to the point of not being as much fun as AA, there are so many villains that half of them feel under utilised and wasted, and the open world mechanic, while a lot of fun, does take away from the story's focus.

An 8.5 is a little low though. 91% would have been my score, compared to asylum's 93 or 94%. It comes close, and is better in some areas, but as an overall gaming experience it falls just short of the bar set by the first game.

I dont know what peoples problem is with the gadgets in combat and the complxety of it all, after playing through the Story + mode I feel like ive truely got to grips with it and found once you get used to the combat and it becomes second nature and then you get the bigscores in challenge rooms and big combos in the story and you dont die so much.

I dont know what peoples problem is with the gadgets in combat and the complxety of it all, after playing through the Story + mode I feel like ive truely got to grips with it

I think that's it. It's an effort to get to grips with this time around, whereas in the last game the complexity was just right, felt instinctive, and there was a place in combat or stealth for every gadget in your arsenal. There's no way you'd ever need to stick every gadget in arkham city into a combo, and most of the time you can get away with about half of them, so you never really get a familiarity with using a lot of them.

Then the game throws something at you that requires a quick response and a certain gadget to overcome, you're surrounded by loads of enemies, and you fluff it and feel frustrated.

I honestly could have done with the exact same loadout from arkham asylum, plus the smoke bombs and grapnel boost, and I would have been more than happy. All that inventory sometimes made me feel more like link from legend of zelda than batman.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Then the game throws something at you that requires a quick response and a certain gadget to overcome, you're surrounded by loads of enemies, and you fluff it and feel frustrated.

I never once came across a situation where I had to use a specific gadget in combat. You could play through the whole game using the exact same moves that were in Arkham Asylum if you liked. If a guy was going for a gun, use a grapnel pull to pull him away or fire off a batarang, both were in Arkham Asylum. They added moves in City that make combat less frustrating in my opinion, like being able to counter more than one enemy at a time and being able to dismantle weapons, both are hugely advantageous.

Also those ice grenades are amazing if you want to keep the informant out of action, and there are a few bits where the splash freeze greade will save your life not to mention how the quick bomb attack is very useful when your surrounded. but a the lad above me said you dont have to use them if you dont want,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

has anyone heard reports of Arkham City fcuking up consoles? I had an 80gb phat ps3, working fine, got to a section on AC, game froze, stopped reading disks after that. yesterday I replaced my ps3 with a new slim one, got a different copy of Arkham, reloaded from the same save file which autosaved not long before it crashed, same thing, game froze, now the ps3 has crashed twice playing Uncharted 3, brand new, scratchless copy. strange....

krudler wrote: »
    has anyone heard reports of Arkham City fcuking up consoles? I had an 80gb phat ps3, working fine, got to a section on AC, game froze, stopped reading disks after that. yesterday I replaced my ps3 with a new slim one, got a different copy of Arkham, reloaded from the same save file which autosaved not long before it crashed, same thing, game froze, now the ps3 has crashed twice playing Uncharted 3, brand new, scratchless copy. strange....
    Not heard of that happening until now. Never had a problem here. No crashes, lock up etc.

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    has anyone heard reports of Arkham City fcuking up consoles? I had an 80gb phat ps3, working fine, got to a section on AC, game froze, stopped reading disks after that..

I've had a few freezes that crashed the game and one issue with a save file not being read. All while playing arkham city.

Nothing console breaking so far tho (fingers crossed).

Advertisement