Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman Arkham City Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah, that was fine. The problem was after clearing all the henchmen, you're left with Joker, Hammer guy and the Titan. I could hit the Hammer guy with the Electric gun to then hit the Titan, but it's avoiding/fighting Joker in between, or trying to hit the Hammer guy instead of Joker or the Titan which kept causing me to get hit by the carts. Wasn't stuck on it for ages, but was just the hardest part of the game in my opinion.
    I got past it in Game+ by getting rid of Hammer Guy as soon as he comes along, ignore all others. Counter them when they come at you, but make sure you keep coming back to him when you've finished countering. When he's down, you'll have plenty of time before the titan comes along to get rid of normal henchmen.

Get hits to 5+ and then do a takedown to get rid of them properly, repeat until titan comes along. Quick explosive gel while titan is running to get him vulnerable.

If it's done quick enough, you should be left with two henchmen and the joker by the time the titan comes along, makings things much more manageable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I seen the collectors edition of this in HMV in Dubdrum today for €55 second hand. It was in perfect condition.

arkham-ce-600x388.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Steal if the dlc (if any) wasn't used! Just 15 riddles left for the last hostage!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Steal if the dlc (if any) wasn't used! Just 15 riddles left for the last hostage!

Do you have to collect all the Riddler trophies as well to rescue the last hostage? I'm starting to think it is going to take far too long to attempt that.

Do you have to collect all the Riddler trophies as well to rescue the last hostage? I'm starting to think it is going to take far too long to attempt that.

No, I got to 400 riddles but still had 8-10 Batman riddles left and about 35 catwoman riddles left so catwoman helps towards it. Last Riddler room is class but way too easy.

Moved onto Challenge rooms but made last minute decision to pick up Ass Creed tomorrow so Batman wil retire to the shelf...for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

The challenges are doing my head in. I'm pretty rubbish at getting decent combos together so I'm struggling to get three achievements on all the combat maps and have only achieved it in one. Last night I managed to string a 68-hit combo together on one of the maps and still finished 13,000 short of the 60,000 I needed to get the third achievement.

Ah the key to the challenge rooms is variety. Try to use every gadget you have. Forget about just going from crit strike to crit strike. Try hit one guy, batarange, hit, freeze blast, hit shock, hit, etc. This will really rack up the points. Remember as well to use cape stun and dodge rool to keep your combo going. And then use the special moves, unleash bats, combo batarang take down, instant takedown.

There is a trophy for doing every move in one combo that i've been trying to get and just by trying this helps me get the 3 stars.

I do use all of the gadgets during the round in order to get the 2,000 point gadget variety bonus. Are you saying that using the gadgets increases the points you're earning in the combo as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bugs

If you want to get simple high scores in the fight challenges simply use beatdown. You can interrupt beatdown to counter and still jump back in and finish the combo as many times as you want. It can result in a massive combo (100+).
    Its probably better to disable anyone with a weapon (shield, taser, etc, anything you can't counter) before you start into the combo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Have to say I disagree Sheehy!

I barely used anything more than hits, counters and the special move takedown to get all the challenges.

I always aimed to string long combos, with the perfect freeflow bonus. I suppose certain tactics will work for different folks.

• Advertisement

The perfect freeflow bonus is the key there though, I'd suspect. It seems mentally difficult to get that.

I was surprised how many times I could get away with missing the combo. rarely got hit though, so that 5,000 if you can last the 4 rounds.

I think the key, as the previous poster said, is beatdowns. Also with the titans or the Russian twins. Beat them for a bit, jump over em, beat them some more, rinse and repeat. Strings a long combo together and racks up the points. Oooooooo baby you look class doing it too!

Just wanted to add something to the challenge tips people have given here. As posted, beat downs and gadget variety are important, but if you're after a lot of points, you have to think about your combo multiplier too.

Certain finishing moves (the slow mo move when you finish off a last enemy) give you a higher multiplier than others, as they did in arkham asylum. One of the handiest of these is the ground pound (hold right trigger and hit takedown from a distance, batman jumps in the air and lands on the enemy with his knees and nut punches him). Its worth an x100 multiplier, the highest available, and is easy to set up. If you finish off a round with this it will multiply your last combo by 100 and add that many points on to your score for the round. If you can score a decent enough combo, say 50 and end it with one of these at the end of the round it can make up to 20k extra points for you in a challenge.

Best way I've found to do this is to do all your gadget variety stuff early, then try to keep your combo up and concentrate more on getting consecutive hits towards the end of the round, and keep an eye on how many enemies you've got left. When you're at the last one, use a quick batclaw to pull him in, then flip over him while he stumbles towards you and falls on the ground dazed, then do the ground pound flying takedown, all as part of the combo. Hey presto, big combo x 100 multiplier, and lots of extra points for your score.

Agree with all these tips. I passed the 1st 8 combat challenges with 3 stars 1st time with these tips. I started that beatdown move on the armoured guys at the start of the round and I just breeze through the rest of the thugs. Much easier than the AA combat challenges which can only be a good thing.

...Much easier than the AA combat challenges which can only be a good thing.

Yeah, i think they're more complicated but not quite as difficult. I just think that sometimes the extra complexity and having to shoe-horn all those gadgets into combos feels a bit clunky.

Still, at least there's no "shock and awe" type challenge, like the one from AA that gave you 30 seconds to KO an army of goons or you got electrocuted and failed it. The extreme version of that had me tearing my hair out.:mad:

The toughest thing in AC challenge mode is the prison riot or funhouse brawl challenges. They're tough but if you know your counters and takedowns you'll get through them without too much trouble.

I think Shock and Awe extreme is what makes me so proud my Arkham Asylum Platinum! Anyway, Assassins Creed today so Bats will be taking a break for a while. Thanks for the tips lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

I think Shock and Awe extreme is what makes me so proud my Arkham Asylum Platinum! Anyway, Assassins Creed today so Bats will be taking a break for a while. Thanks for the tips lads.

I have the platinum and 100% complete on Xbox, so I'm doubly proud! :P

NotorietyH wrote: »
    I have the platinum and 100% complete on Xbox, so I'm doubly proud! :P

You're a mental case going through that twice haha :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

You're a mental case going through that twice haha :pac:

I bought it again on Xbox with the idea that I would give my buddy my PS3 copy. Managed to get through it on Xbox first for the 100% and think it was pretty much all I had left to do on the PS3 version so I got the platinum before I gave it to him, so pretty much did it on both on the same day!

I think Shock and Awe extreme is what makes me so proud my Arkham Asylum Platinum!

Me too. It caused me endless frustration but it really stepped up my combat game, to the point where it made all the other challenges fairly easy. You really have to be on top of things like evades, critical attacks, execution speed, and general enemy awareness to get the three medals there, and I spent so long at it that by the time i cleared it i could tear every other challenge apart. I then went back and replayed the story mode on hard with no worries at all.

The extra space and time that not fighting on that small, rushed map allows you to have makes a BIG difference to your your can of whoop-ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭blue.jester

Hey,

I have gotten perfect scores on all the combat challenges with Batman having never used a gadget.

What I do is run into the goons, punch one, jump over his head, punch once, jump, punch. Rinse and repeat as need. When you clock up the x12 and move faster this becomes easier. No takedown, no counter move. Just punch and jump, no more than one punch. The multiplier goes through the roof in no time and if you pull it off you can get the Perfect Knight points (500) and even the free flow (1000).

When you are up against Shields/Armour Thugs/Electric bats the same tactic can be used, you just need to avoid punching them. You can just the stun-air attack to take out the shield and if you jump over the Stun Bat you can hit him from behind to keep things flowing.

It even works with Titans and One-armed-bandits. And transfers nicely as a tactic to Robin/Catwoman as well (who have even less gadgets to use to get bonus points).

I have gotten perfect scores on all the combat challenges with Batman having never used a gadget.

What I do is run into the goons, punch one, jump over his head, punch once, jump, punch. Rinse and repeat as need.

I posted this a while back. As you say, you can use it to clear a room entirely, or i use it too in some of the bigger, tougher fights just to thin out the numbers a bit, and give me time to think and plan my next move.

It ain't sexy, but it works, and if you get the timing right and use critical strikes, and make sure the last goon gets batclawed, then fliped over, then ground-pounded you can get big points from the x100 multiplier combined with your long combo.

The only real danger is the armed goons, so take them out with the disarm as early as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Know when to counter and dont spam use all your gear and take downs as well as beatdowns you can counter during those, Got me most the acheivements that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I agree with folks saying that the challenges are alot easier that AA but have you guys been doing the Campaign challenges? They're alot tougher to be honest. I'm stuck on the last one where you have to do 3 Predator maps on Extreme and use the modifiers as well. It's so hard to get 3 stars on a predator map when all the gargoyles are booby trapped.

I used the booby trap one on teh second map, but also take the medal perk, ie.. the one where you get the extra medal.
    Get in quick behind the sniper at the very back, and use your electro gadget thing on him, instant medal. Then, slowly take out people with the same trick as they walk the bridge in front of you, or on the trains. The remote batarang is handy here too.

Just leave the guy with the scrambler till last. this was the hardest predator challeneg for me alright, but the best thing is to just take is slowly. Use the time-limit disadvantage on the first map, it's by far the easiest.

Other people here may have different tactics, so mix and match!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Yea the best I did was to get 8 medals I think. I used the booby trap on the first map as on the 2nd I always struggle to get the shock wave attack if I'm not doing it from the Gargoyle and there are 2 medals in that sense tied to the gargoyle on the 2nd map. It's a tricky one. I'll battle through it again and get it but it can be heart breaking to fail on the 3rd map.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Amazon have just shipped my PC version. Won't be back home until Sunday and I'll be majorly jet lagged. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

5uspect wrote: »
    Amazon have just shipped my PC version. Won't be back home until Sunday and I'll be majorly jet lagged. :(

Justice nevers sleeps :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

When is the Steam version out for download?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

hellboy99 wrote: »
    When is the Steam version out for download?

Now if you do: steam://install/57400

Advertisement