Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman Arkham City Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Anyone buy the Robin DLC? Just wondering if its worth it... felt ripped off by that Nightwing Pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

robin dlc looks like more of the same, it's just more challenge rooms so if the nightwing pack didn't float ur boat i can't see this being any different. I dunno that i'll even finish the catwoman challenges. Took ages to do all the batman ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bugs

The robin DLC isn't a whole lot different to the nightwing DLC. You get a new character, few skins, 2 new stages. Slight difference in the melee stage as its 'kinda' 2D, you fight goons on a train from a 2D perspective with black mask on the final carriage. The predator stage is the same as the others. Would be of greater value if you could bring the extra characters into arkham city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

for me it's single player DLC or nothing. a concurrent storyline of what robin was doing during Arkham City is begging to be told!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I was tempted to pick this up on PC for the extra bit of GFX oomph, but, my god they seem to have really made a cock up of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

humanji wrote: »
    I was tempted to pick this up on PC for the extra bit of GFX oomph, but, my god they seem to have really made a cock up of it.
    Tell me about, I have the PC version. It won't run at all using DX11, statement on their forum saying to run it using DX9 and guess what, it still doesn't work.

So much for the reason for the PC delay being due to making improvements and enhancing the game :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

I'd just like to thank the folks that suggested the Punch, vault over opponent, punch, vault over opponent, method a while back - I cleared both Batman's and Catwoman's fight sections entirely last night using this method. I only had to retry once or twice.

Legendary method that results in multipliers above 100x regularly.

100% complete now from the Batman side. Dunno whether to be bothered sinking another few hours into getting the 2 remaining catwoman challenges complete. I've no interest in going through another 180 plus medals in challenges with a different character to be honest. It's not different enough and I much prefer fighting with Batman over Catwoman anyway.

Is there talk of story related DLC making an appearance for this? I'm on the verge of trading in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭Heckler

Bought this yesterday for the PC but have been reading awful things about it. Is it worth playing before they patch it ? One reviewer said its only worth playing with a gamepad. The reason I bought it for PC and not xbox is so i could use kb/m I hate goddamn gamepads. Are the controls much the same as AA or have they been changed ?

Heckler wrote: »
    Bought this yesterday for the PC but have been reading awful things about it. Is it worth playing before they patch it ? One reviewer said its only worth playing with a gamepad. The reason I bought it for PC and not xbox is so i could use kb/m I hate goddamn gamepads. Are the controls much the same as AA or have they been changed ?
    I'll let you know when I can get it working lol. I'm waiting for the patch, hopefully we don't have to wait too long for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭Heckler

hellboy99 wrote: »
    I'll let you know when I can get it working lol. I'm waiting for the patch, hopefully we don't have to wait too long for it.[/QUOTE

5 weeks delayed and this is what we get ? Bad form. I reckon it'll be weeks before a patch is seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Is it wrong to oogle at Catwoman's butt? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

LighterGuy wrote: »

It would be more wrong not to. Disrespectful of the effort the artists put into designing the character. When I play she stealth crawls everywhere.

Heckler wrote: »
    5 weeks delayed and this is what we get ? Bad form. I reckon it'll be weeks before a patch is seen.
    The delay was only to boost console sales, I think AMD released a patch today so hopefully NVIDIA users don't have to wait too long.

LighterGuy wrote: »

I found Talia's but alot more mesmerising :D

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nanoc

Speaking of Catwoman, picked up the game on Xbox 2nd hand and there was no card for catwoman,

being cheeky does anyone have a spare catwoman code they could PM me that they might not be because they're not on Live ?

cheers,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Gah why do the Riddler hostage missions require you to collect silly amounts of collectibles? They seem like the most imaginative missions in the game, but you need to get through silly amounts of trophy hunting to get them. Awful design choice :( I'm going to collect enough to get to hostage four, but I honestly don't know if I have the patience to complete all 400 challenges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Gah why do the Riddler hostage missions require you to collect silly amounts of collectibles?

I got a bit tired of those Riddler challenges alright. They're pretty cool, but I would've been happier with a hundred fewer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Gah why do the Riddler hostage missions require you to collect silly amounts of collectibles? They seem like the most imaginative missions in the game, but you need to get through silly amounts of trophy hunting to get them. Awful design choice :( I'm going to collect enough to get to hostage four, but I honestly don't know if I have the patience to complete all 400 challenges.

Agreed, I'd love to do more but I have only done 2. Searching for those little riddler trophies is not interesting at all. I work full time, and dont want to spend precious game time walking around areas I have already been in to look for trophies :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

PC version came in the post today, if I activate it on Steam does it mean I'll still need Games For Windows? (blargh)

Edit: Nevermind, the code in the DVD doesn't work in Steam :/
    Also my DVD drive doesn't seem to like the DVDs, FUUUUUUUUUUU....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,542 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's a particular shame because - from what I recall - Arkham Asylum had extremely clever, worthwhile collectibles throughout. I'm pretty sure it's the only game in recent times I bothered 100%ing in terms of collecting ****.

I mostly enjoyed Arkham City - it is certainly one of the most empowering games of recent times, and the thrill of gliding through the city as the Bat is a pleasure unequalled even by its immediate prequel. But in increasing the scope Rocksteady have lost focus somewhat, and dare I suggest comes across as bloated at times. It's a great game, and the other optional missions are largely excellent, but overall I think it's a weaker game than Asylum in various significant regards. Especially the Catwoman missions - very much seem like an afterthought in an otherwise well considered campaign.

I mostly enjoyed Arkham City - it is certainly one of the most empowering games of recent times...But in increasing the scope Rocksteady have lost focus somewhat, and dare I suggest comes across as bloated at times....overall I think it's a weaker game than Asylum in various significant regards. Especially the Catwoman missions - very much seem like an afterthought

I chopped your post a bit but I agree with everything you've said. It was a really good game and the open world aspects of it are still proving a lot of fun, but the riddler challenges were let down by the boringness of the overall trophy hunting, to the point where its a hassle to get them all, the catwoman missions broke up the main game to the point that they were an annoying, unwanted distraction, and the very small selection of dialogue that's constantly repeated by henchmen and goons every five minutes gets very annoying.

Also, why the hell can't I use robin and nightwing in free roam mode around the city as part of their DLC? They really better be looking at going the GTAIV route with this and releasing add-on story episodes. It would be such a waste not to, given the size and detail of the city.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The green team have pushed out 290.36 beta drivers with better PhysX support. Hopefully this helps DX11 performance a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Also, why the hell can't I use robin and nightwing in free roam mode around the city as part of their DLC? They really better be looking at going the GTAIV route with this and releasing add-on story episodes. It would be such a waste not to, given the size and detail of the city.

I'd gladly pay a bit more more Robin/Nightwing storyline missions of some kind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 TheGroove

Has anybody seen its IMDb rating!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Don Juan DeMagoo

It's a particular shame because - from what I recall - Arkham Asylum had extremely clever, worthwhile collectibles throughout. I'm pretty sure it's the only game in recent times I bothered 100%ing in terms of collecting ****.

I mostly enjoyed Arkham City - it is certainly one of the most empowering games of recent times, and the thrill of gliding through the city as the Bat is a pleasure unequalled even by its immediate prequel. But in increasing the scope Rocksteady have lost focus somewhat, and dare I suggest comes across as bloated at times. It's a great game, and the other optional missions are largely excellent, but overall I think it's a weaker game than Asylum in various significant regards. Especially the Catwoman missions - very much seem like an afterthought in an otherwise well considered campaign.

Will have to watch that Escapist episode on Arkham City again, your analysis sounds very familiar....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Not really, I watched it after you said that, but I felt the same. It's what most people felt.

Great game, but lost something in it's expansion.

Too many Riddler trophies as well. A chore to collect them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

Not really, I watched it after you said that, but I felt the same. It's what most people felt.

Great game, but lost something in it's expansion.

Too many Riddler trophies as well. A chore to collect them all.

I didn't think this to be honest. They had two functions:

- To allow you to take on Riddler Rooms
    - To allow you to upgrade early

When you collect a trophy, you get 200xp. I recently started on hard and I collected all the trophies that I could remember as soon as the game allowed me, and I have most of the unlockables received before the game expects me to have them, which is very handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Also my DVD drive doesn't seem to like the DVDs, FUUUUUUUUUUU....
    Ok this is annoying me, I tried with two different DVD drives now, any particular reason why this would be happening with these DVDs?
    I've tested some other DVDs and they work fine!
    I had it installing for ages (longer than usual I thought) then I ran out of install space and now I can't get the installer running again! :mad:

I tried turning off Panda antivirus as I read that might cause issues with Securerom, but my DVD just starts a read loop, sounds like this:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39327054/Voice%20001.3ga
    Same thing for the other drive I tried:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39327054/Voice%20002.3ga
    (might be a bit quiet)

And what I see when I open the drive in My Computer: http://imgur.com/aozfX

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I didn't think this to be honest. They had two functions:

- To allow you to take on Riddler Rooms
    - To allow you to upgrade early

When you collect a trophy, you get 200xp. I recently started on hard and I collected all the trophies that I could remember as soon as the game allowed me, and I have most of the unlockables received before the game expects me to have them, which is very handy.

Good point!

Platinumed last night, now to Skyrim my life away.

Advertisement