Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman Arkham City Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Finished the combat and predator challenges, started the new game plus. Forgot how excellent this game was! Even on this hard mode with no counter visuals, combat is a walk in the park after the combat and predator challenges!

Does anyone know if I can skip the catwoman sections?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,962 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Finished the Predator ranked missions for Batman last night and almost halfway through the Combat ones. Hate the lads with the knives in the combat ones. Keep trying to counter them but when the camera moves it throws me off and I get sliced. Same with the shields, I try to counter even when I know I can't. Just try and jump over them from now on I suppose.

Penn, like someof the lads here said, I found using cape stun followed by beatdown on the knives guys the best method, wouldn't even try and counter them. As for the shield /stun baton guys, as soon as I have the special move combo built up, I use square & triangle for the 'weapon break' move as they are the most likely weapons that will break up your combo.

Yeah, been using the beatdown method (wouldn't stand a chance otherwise), it's when they come over while I'm beating on someone else that's the problem. Always just tempted to go for the Blade Dodge Takedown, because if I'm on something like a x25 combo, countering and taking them down would get me 2500 in one go. But because you have to pull back on the analogue stick to do it but the camera turns round if the guy is behind you that I keep missing it. Suppose I should be playing it more safe though and just keep the combo going instead.

Haven't got to the baton guys yet thankfully. Now there's something to look forward to. Currently on the first Jokers Funhouse, with Sickle. Haven't gotten close to the 3 medal score yet, but I suppose that's why they call it a challenge :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

So i'm having two wisdom teeth out this evening and have the rest of the week off work as a result.

I see this game in CEX for 30 quid without DLC.

Question is am i seriously losing out on the DLC and should i just bite the bullet and buy it new?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah, been using the beatdown method (wouldn't stand a chance otherwise), it's when they come over while I'm beating on someone else that's the problem.

You can counter while in the middle of a beat-down, then go back into beat-down, iirc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

weiland79 wrote: »
    So i'm having two wisdom teeth out this evening and have the rest of the week off work as a result.

Question is am i seriously losing out on the DLC and should i just bite the bullet and buy it new?

If you buy it second hand you will not be able to play the cat women episodes without buying them from xbox live. The DLC isn't that great but adds Robin and Nightwing to the challenges section and additional batman costumes. There is new Harley Quinn DLC is on the way which adds missions for Robin. Either way it is a brilliant game and is easily worth €30 you'll pay for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

If you can, wait until the GOTY edition out in Autumn.

You can counter while in the middle of a beat-down, then go back into beat-down, iirc.

Yeah, that's what I do, but doesn't work with knife/shield/stun-rod guys

Ya, in the middle of a beatdown, it is incredibly hard to counter knife guys. If in the middle of a beatdown and a knife guy is coming for you, jump dodge out of the way and either 'weapon break' the knife guy with the combo you have built up or continue the combo on someone else. As son as your combo turns yellow, point in the direction of the knife guy and pull off a weapon break.

As for buying it new or not, the Catwoman DLC is worth it to buy new as her story weaves in and out of the batman campaign. The robin/nightwing challenge rooms aren't worth the money. Neither is the harleys revenge one but i'd say buy it new just to get the catwoman dlc.

Smyths toys are selling arkham city new for 30 quid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I've gone back to beatdowns after a knife dodge takedown, I'm sure it's possible. If not, then what's one more cape stun to start again? The stun guns and shields are disposed of easily enough by the counter that destroys weapons, or an instant takedown. You'll lose your focus slow down thing but not your combo, and if you get back into a beatdown you'll pick it up pretty quick again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Ya, in the middle of a beatdown, it is incredibly hard to counter knife guys. If in the middle of a beatdown and a knife guy is coming for you, jump dodge out of the way and either 'weapon break' the knife guy with the combo you have built up or continue the combo on someone else. As son as your combo turns yellow, point in the direction of the knife guy and pull off a weapon break.

As for buying it new or not, the Catwoman DLC is worth it to buy new as her story weaves in and out of the batman campaign. The robin/nightwing challenge rooms aren't worth the money. Neither is the harleys revenge one but i'd say buy it new just to get the catwoman dlc.

Smyths toys are selling arkham city new for 30 quid.

Off to Smyths so.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Nuno

Off to Smyths so.

HMV are also doing it brand new for 30 quid.. I just picked up a copy today

Was reading this list of all known easter eggs in Arkham City, great read with vids. I'm definitely gonna keep a lookout for the 'city in the puddle' egg.

http://arkhamcity.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=12986

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

Finished Arkham Asylum a few weeks ago. Was looking at getting Arkham City but was waiting until GOTY edition in September. However, saw the basic version in HMV today for €29.99 so picked it up.

Was on the last Combat Challenge as Batman last night. Got the third medal early in the last round.

Died when there was only two guards left. All I had to do was survive to the end of the round, and I was knifed....

"Holy 'I'll try again tonight', Batman"

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Battlestar23

Hello i recently got this game and i got two Catwoman codes one I've used and one I'm giving away so if anyone want's the extra code just PM ok.

Edit: forgot to mention the code i have is for the Ps3 sorry for not saying that earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

Anyone going for all trophies ? Including the ones that don't contribute to platinum ?

I've completed all Batman's challenges and campaign challenges, same with Catwoman. I've started Robin's ones and I fully intend on doing the Nightwing ones as well.

I know it's pretty much doing the same thing 4 times but it's fun :)

Debating the Harley Quinn content as well, not sure it's worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Debating the Harley Quinn content as well, not sure it's worth it.

I didn't think I'd be saying this it was announced, but it probably isn't worth bothering with. It's too short and doesn't add anything significant to the overall narrative. The Robin sections are forgettable too! I'd advise hardcore AC fans to wait until it goes on sale and more casual players not to bother with it at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Battlestar23

Hello i recently got this game and i got two Catwoman codes one I've used and one I'm giving away so if anyone want's the extra code just PM ok.

Edit: forgot to mention the code i have is for the Ps3 sorry for not saying that earlier.
    Just a quick update the Catwoman code has been taken congrats to Cokeistan.:)

• Advertisement

hah??? :confused:

I hate Kotaku and don't know how legit this story is but sounds a bit strange. Didn't Hamill already say he wasn't playing Joker again? Would be crap to have Joker in the next game with a different VA.
    The next Batman game will be a prequel that centers around Batman's first encounter with the Joker, according to a new report.
    According to Variety, the prequel to Rocksteady's Arkham Asylum and Arkham City will be based on the Silver Age of DC's comics from the 1950s. Variety says the game will be out in 2014 "at the earliest."
    I've reached out to Warner Bros. for comment and will update should they respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

What I heard is that they are doing a Justice league game

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Well if its silver age, they might be recasting all of the voices for all we know.

At least they will be able to use some 'unusual' stories from the Silver Age. I can already see the below being used in a side mission.

gayparties02.jpg

sheehy83 wrote: »
    hah??? :confused:

I hate Kotaku and don't know how legit this story is but sounds a bit strange. Didn't Hamill already say he wasn't playing Joker again? Would be crap to have Joker in the next game with a different VA.

I'd hope not. They set up so many things for a sequel (
    Joker dead, Ra's probably still alive, Scarecrow's messages, Hush, Azrael
    ) that it'd be really disappointing not to go through with it. Even if they closed off this trilogy and then went to prequels.

Plus, prequel means no possibility of Robin/Red Robin/Nightwing/Red Hood/Batgirl etc, and probably crappier gadgets.

I think they need a game without Joker as the main villain. Do a Gotham City game with all the various crime bosses (Penguin, Two-Face, Black Mask etc) fighting for territory and Batman caught in the middle of it.
    Have Hush pretending to be Bruce Wayne. Then have Joker's thugs come in and Batman needs to find out who is in charge of them if Joker's dead and Harley's in prison (and have it be Jason Todd)

@Sheehy, I had hoped that image you posted was from the Golden Age, but sadly not.

A full game of Silver Age stuff, seems a bit mad, unless they keep the modern look and feel of the characters some what.

I too, would rather the trilogy to come to a close before doing Silver Age prequels.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

What I heard is that they are doing a Justice league game

Yeh this is what I heard. WB wants to raise awareness for them before the film comes out

Have Hush pretending to be Bruce Wayne. Then have Joker's thugs come in and Batman needs to find out who is in charge of them if Joker's dead and Harley's in prison (and have it be Jason Todd)

Exactly my thoughts, would love a Red Hood story line. Batman: Gotham City would be the best next move imo.

Yeh this is what I heard. WB wants to raise awareness for them before the film comes out

Ya heard the same actually.

So a Silver Age Justice League game (possibly)
    JLA_Silver-Age.jpg

Could be interesting, but prefer the modern version of the characters myself compared to the look of them in the 50s and 60s.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I think they need a game without Joker as the main villain. Do a Gotham City game with all the various crime bosses (Penguin, Two-Face, Black Mask etc) fighting for territory and Batman caught in the middle of it.

That sounds a small bit like Arkham City tbh. Think Rocksteady painted themselves into a corner with using so many villians in the first 2 games. Joker, Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, Bane, Killer Croc, Clayface, Scarecrow, Two-face, Deadshot, Victor Szasz, Mad Hatter, Soloman Grundy and Penguin not a lot left after that. 3 or 4 could of been left out. Not super interested in a Justice League game i'd rather a Batman one thank you very much.
    Pity that Turtles rumor was just that a rumor that could of been MILLIONS of childhood dreams fullfiled.

Advertisement