Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman Arkham City Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Lads, can anyone help me with this please, got a second hand copy of AC as a gift and naturally, the Catwoman code had been redeemed.

I see in the cheevo list that there are a achievements for Nightwing and Robin aswel as Catwoman, and Harley Quinns revenge ofcourse. How many different DLCs are there and would I just be better off flogging the secondhand copy again and buying the GOTY edition when it comes out instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

In one way, you should play this asap but I would really recommend getting the catwoman dlc as it weaves in and out of the main story. However, goty is out in september I think and will b totally worth it if u can wait

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Penn wrote: »
    Whereabouts in the game are you and on what difficulty?

The more you progress, there'll be more enemies with varied weapons (guns, knives, electric batons, swords, body armour) that require different strategies, so that'll make fights seem faster as you go on. If you're not too far into the game and just dealing with small groups of normal thugs, then yeah, it can feel a bit slow at times

ah ya cool,on normal I'm
    going to talk to the Joker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

How long am I likely to put into this game,I've none of the dlc

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

There's lots to do. If you want to breeze through the main story you'll be done in under 20 hours easily enough. If you spend any time at the huge amounts of challenges or generally fly about being the ****ing Batman (and you will) you'll get a lot more out of it.

When you finish the campaign you can play a Game Plus mode with enhanced difficulty but a fully equipped Bats from the outset.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 252 ✭✭viclemronny

Then there's the riddler trophies/clues/side mission where you resque the hostages. Don't forget all the lovely challenges too. And the challenge campaigns add a nice new dimension to the challenges once you're finished them.

Throw in NG+ and you'll have plenty of content. However, nicely enough, you can play through the main story and side missions and enjoy it without doing all the extra stuff and because it's a decent sized game with that alone you won't feel short changed.

I have NG+ completely finished, said I would start a campaign challenge and got 9 out of 9 medals in the first challenge. Wasn't looking forward to it but I'm addicted to the challenge rooms all over again now.

Still, there was absolutely no need to have campaign challenges and combat & predator challenges. Just the campaign ones would have been enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I have NG+ completely finished, said I would start a campaign challenge and got 9 out of 9 medals in the first challenge. Wasn't looking forward to it but I'm addicted to the challenge rooms all over again now.

Still, there was absolutely no need to have campaign challenges and combat & predator challenges. Just the campaign ones would have been enough.

Why would they do that as the challenge maps are the combat & predator challenges ones, it would take next to no work to have all three challenges.

Just that I've done all the combat challenges and the predator challenges and now I feel like I'm doing them all over again, just in a different mode.

Have to say though, after getting all medals in predator and combat is making the campaign challenge a walk in the park but I have a feeling I will regret typing that when I get to the extreme levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Borat_Sagdiyev

Just that I've done all the combat challenges and the predator challenges and now I feel like I'm doing them all over again, just in a different mode.

Have to say though, after getting all medals in predator and combat is making the campaign challenge a walk in the park but I have a feeling I will regret typing that when I get to the extreme levels.

Yes you will. I forget what the campaign challenge is called, but it's the one that ends with "Top of the world - Extreme". Absolute pain in the face of the highest order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,962 ✭✭✭✭Penn

That's what put me off doing the campaign. If I knew I messed up in a combat challenge (because if you do well in the first two rounds, it makes it a lot easier to get the score), I could just restart. But restarting or failing the campaign ones a few times means you'd have to start that whole campaign again, wouldn't you?

Yes you will. I forget what the campaign challenge is called, but it's the one that ends with "Top of the world - Extreme". Absolute pain in the face of the highest order.

Ah crap, see this is what I mean. I already did Top of The World Extreme in Predator mode and even though it was a couple of months ago, I can picture in my head exactly how to kill every one and get 3 medals. That level is burned into my brain. Really don't want to do it again and have to learn a new enemy patern. :(

Ah crap, see this is what I mean. I already did Top of The World Extreme in Predator mode and even though it was a couple of months ago, I can picture in my head exactly how to kill every one and get 3 medals. That level is burned into my brain. Really don't want to do it again and have to learn a new enemy patern. :(

I don't think that they've made it any different, it's just the fact that you have to complete two other predator levels before it and you also have to use the handicaps. It's been a long time since I did it so I can't remember what they are but they're things like "Environment is Pre-armed with mines" and other nasty stuff. It's definitely do-able, but you'll just have to be very careful.

Penn wrote: »
    That's what put me off doing the campaign. If I knew I messed up in a combat challenge (because if you do well in the first two rounds, it makes it a lot easier to get the score), I could just restart. But restarting or failing the campaign ones a few times means you'd have to start that whole campaign again, wouldn't you?

Yep, you get three allowed failures. After that, you have to start from scratch, as I did many times. Very satisfying when you finish them all finally though :)

Yep, you get three allowed failures. After that, you have to start from scratch, as I did many times. Very satisfying when you finish them all finally though :)

Might try them actually. Got the Platinum on Arkham Asylum last night which was far easier than I imagined it to be. Once you know where most of the Riddler secrets are, you can refill your health easily enough between fights (as it doesn't fully refill itself). Ivy only took me three tries (my own fault really as I was a bit reckless). And I'd read a good bit of advice where you don't fully upgrade your armour. Keep a spare upgrade, so when you're in the final fight (2 Titans and goons or the actual Joker fight), you can upgrade your health then and it'll fully refill it. Needed it in the 2 titans fight.

The 20 goons outside Jokers place were easy enough to beat too for that trophy, and the Mano-a-mano trophy for killing a Titan without a batarang, I went back to normal mode and got it in one of the challenges instead of doing it during the game.

I'd feel more confident doing NGP on Arkham City now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

AC plat is definitely easier than AA. Might as well get the pair whilst you're in your crime-fighting prime! :D

Congrats man! I'm still working my way through the campaign challenges, really enjoying them, very addictive stuff!

Yeah I think I'd try NGP first, seeing as how I'm already in "No counter symbols" mode. Then go for the campaign.

Only other trophy which could be difficult enough then would be using all Batman's moves in one combo. Tried it before on a combat challenge but tough enough to remember what moves you have and haven't used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Best thing to do it just get a pen and paper, and stick the bones of a list, with a lot of room for improv. Jumping over enemies is your friend in the combo, as it gives you that split second to think as well.

I used this video for help:

Got myself all psyched up.......recited the list over a couple of times.....had 2 litre bottle of coke, and lots of snacks ready for a long haul.......and got it my first attempt! :P It think it was because it was the last trophy I went for, and knew the mechanics well. I also had resigned myself to not getting it first time, so it relaxed me somewhat. Anyways, best of luck!

+1 Funky, I used that video as well and got it first time. I had the combat challenge fully cleared before trying it though so that helped.

• Advertisement

Best thing to do it just get a pen and paper, and stick the bones of a list, with a lot of room for improv. Jumping over enemies is your friend in the combo, as it gives you that split second to think as well.

I used this video for help:

Got myself all psyched up.......recited the list over a couple of times.....had 2 litre bottle of coke, and lots of snacks ready for a long haul.......and got it my first attempt! :P It think it was because it was the last trophy I went for, and knew the mechanics well. I also had resigned myself to not getting it first time, so it relaxed me somewhat. Anyways, best of luck!

Cheers for that. Actually doesn't look as bad as I thought, I presumed all the gadget moves (batarang, REC, explosive gel) were part of it too. Never liked using explosive gel in a combo. Could never set it off without planting another one. Usually ended up just cartwheeling round the place setting off explosive gel. Not very Batman-y :D

Completely addicted to the Campaign Challenges, just 5 left. Finished the 7th campaign last night on my last retry with a sliver of health left and 5 armoured guards with sniper rifles on the subway predator level. Some rush taking them down and finishing the level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Finally got this (and the Harley Quinn DLC) in the Steam sale. My question has been asked before no doubt, but I want to avoid spoilers so I didn't go through the thread. Essentially, is it better to complete all the side missions and mini games, or the main quest first? Will all the extra stuff still be there after I complete the main mission?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Yeah Ape, all the sides and riddler stuff is still there to finish after the campaign but its fun to take a break from story missions and fly around the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

Yeah Ape, all the sides and riddler stuff is still there to finish after the campaign but its fun to take a break from story missions and fly around the city.
    Thanks. Think that's exactly what I'll do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

wasn't there one side mission you couldn't complete after the main game? I'm sure I heard that mentioned before, but can't remember which one it was supposed to be. They probably patched it by now, in any case.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Sarky wrote: »
    They probably patched it by now, in any case.

Hahahaha! good one. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Is the DLC worth paying for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭Polar101

Is the DLC worth paying for?

Probably if you enjoy the challenges and want to try them with different characters. I don't like the challenges, so I passed.

• Advertisement

Polar101 wrote: »
    Probably if you enjoy the challenges and want to try them with different characters. I don't like the challenges, so I passed.

I got them when they came out. It's fun to play as different characters and find out their strengths / weaknesses.

I completed Robin's campaign medals last night and made a start on Nightwing's, only 150 or so medals to go and I'm done with this game.

Advertisement