Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman Arkham City Thread

Comments

Just checked out the penguin trailer. Apart from the penguin's very dodgy cockney accent, it looks amazing. As if i wasn't hyped enough for this game. Leave off rocksteady/warner bros, I'm sold already....

I kept expecting the penguin to break into an "'ello mary poppins" dick van dyke style routine :D

By the way, for people who wanted to know whether to buy bulletstorm to get them through the summer drought, i rented it for a few days to check it out, and it's just meh. A generic shooter with some interesting elements, but overall very repetitive and not that engaging. The skill points thing, where you get extra points for using the leash (a kind of electro whip like your man in iron man 2 has got) and slo-motion to kill your enemies in interesting & creative ways is the only thing that's sustaining my interest, but it's very much "go into an area, kill lots of enemies that run straight at you, go to the next area, repeat". There's nothing clever or engaging about the AI or attack patterns or their tactics, or anything like that, and as a shooter, it feels very "on rails" for the most part.

I'm about 30-40% of the way through and overall it's just a standard FPS, built on the same engine as gears of war, and is very, very similar to that game, only less gritty and engaging and more arcad-ey.

One to rent for 5 days or so, but not buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

A Villian as a ally,didn't see this one coming.
    http://arkhamcity.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3914

More information from the EDGE magazine feature.
    http://arkhamcity.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3952

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Niallwithaz

Anybody see these preorder costumes?
    batman-arkham-city-20110801003017886-000.jpg

They are pretty cool. The Batman Beyond and the Animated series ones are my favorite. This game is looking like a definite preorder for me. More info about them here (http://ie.ps3.ign.com/articles/118/1185368p1.html).

They are pretty cool. The Batman Beyond and the Animated series ones are my favorite. This game is looking like a definite preorder for me. More info about them here (http://ie.ps3.ign.com/articles/118/1185368p1.html).

Seen them alrite,like the Animated tv series one but not too gone on any others. Wonder why there isn't a costume based on the recent movies. Speaking of which will The Dark Knight Rises have a game if so surely Rocksteady are the only Devs to make it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

I first saw the Dark Knight Returns costume two weeks ago (on this thread) and thought it was brilliant but those new ones are great. I love how the animated series costume is modeled like the cartoon character however the Batman Beyond is my favourite by far! Even if only for wider acknowledgement for that series.

Also, I really hope those costumes are unlockable in game like it was done with Mortal combat. With MK preorder codes just gave early access to content which could be unlocked later in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭4ndroid

That would be sweeeeeEEEEEET

The animated series one is excellent, but the 60's one is too buff. He needs an Adam West-esque pot belly and shiny underpants :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Anyone have a list of which preorders (from which retailer) provide which costume. Which of these are available in ireland for preorder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Also, I really hope those costumes are unlockable in game like it was done with Mortal combat. With MK preorder codes just gave early access to content which could be unlocked later in the game.

The MK pre-order bonus costumes weren't unlockable, you had to pay for them. It's likely going to be the same situation here.
    cursai wrote: »
    Anyone have a list of which preorders (from which retailer) provide which costume. Which of these are available in ireland for preorder?

No word on who's getting what yet. The DKR one seems to come with the Collector's Edition.

Much as I like Batman Beyond, the costume for this game is way too buff. Love the Animated Series one though, hope it doesn't stand out like a sore thumb in-game though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

gamestop have the Beyond costume listed on their website as a pre-order bonus. The Beyond is by far my favourite however I would agree with Mr. K that it's too buff.

Mr. K wrote: »

The MK pre-order bonus costumes weren't unlockable, you had to pay for them. It's likely going to be the same situation here.

I definitely unlocked the MK classic costumes (some of them atleast) through the in game krypt.

Just pre ordered now. Would the special edition be worth the extra 30 quid anyone think?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭heid

This use windows live?, I had created a offline profile I was half way into arkham asylum then installed bioshock 2 and loaded up batman to find my savegame was deleted.

4ndroid wrote: »
    Just pre ordered now. Would the special edition be worth the extra 30 quid anyone think?

Well they have promised better DLC for Arkham City. Gotham Knight the animated film you get with it is a bit odd if i'm honest & the statue is cool enough if your into Gaming Collectables.

Ah I think Ill get by with just the game and batman beyond skin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

4ndroid wrote: »
    If the special edition for Arkham Asylum is anything to go by I think I'll pass on the special edition for Arkham City. That is, unless they pull it out of the bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I really hope you can unlock these costumes in game. Would be really crappy if they were unique to certain stores pre-orders or just as bad if they became available through paid DLC after release.

sheehy83 wrote: »
    I really hope you can unlock these costumes in game. Would be really crappy if they were unique to certain stores pre-orders or just as bad if they became available through paid DLC after release.

They will almost certainly be paid DLC. They may go free after a while, like a lot of the maps and add ins for arkham asylum did, but it's too much to ask for a big name studio like WB to pass up an extra revenue stream like this these days.

The skins are cool, so people want them, and many will pay a reasonable amount to get them. Why would the publisher give them away for free and lose out on the cash?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

I couldn't care less about the skins, they can charge for them if they want but what I would care about is if they took something out of the game so they could sell it as DLC ala AC2 with sequence 12 and 13, now if they did that I'd be well annoyed.

TheTosh wrote: »
    I couldn't care less about the skins, they can charge for them if they want but what I would care about is if they took something out of the game so they could sell it as DLC...

I'd agree with that. I have no problem with add-on DLC as a business model. Everybody's doing it these days, but only as long as the core game experience is preserved, and the add-ons are "nice to haves" rather than "must haves".

When you get into stuff that is core to the game though, and clearly should have been included on disc being released as DLC instead, sometimes within weeks of release, that's a little iffy. Certain games and studios are bad for that. For example, battlefield 2 had an entire co-op vs AI mode sold as paid DLC when it clearly should have been included on the disc from day 1 or released as a free download.

Gamesmaster (out sept 12th) gets the first review again.
    http://arkhamcity.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4259
    Won't cause as much of a fuss this time I suspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The comics leading up to the game's release are pretty good. Lots of interesting bits and pieces I'll have to keep an eye out for when I get my hands on the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Sarky wrote: »
    The comics leading up to the game's release are pretty good. Lots of interesting bits and pieces I'll have to keep an eye out for when I get my hands on the game.
    Are they online comics? If so, have a link?

Excellent, found the 1st 4 comics through pirate means, will enjoy having a read of these.

Catwoman's gameplay style was recently compared to Ezio from Assassin's Creed

Sounds class!

http://arkhamcity.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4334

Oh ya, can't wait to see Batman: Year One the animated film that will be released the same day as AC. Strange that Ben Mckenzie is voicing bats but class having Bryan Cranston voicing Gordon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Oh ya, can't wait to see Batman: Year One the animated film that will be released the same day as AC. Strange that Ben Mckenzie is voicing bats but class having Bryan Cranston voicing Gordon!

I love the DC animated stuff, I'm forward to seeing Year One. I think they're doing The Dark Knight Returns soon too.

Did ye ever the Legends of the Dark Knight episode of the 90s series? There was a brief DKR segment, with Michael Ironside (of Splinter Cell fame) voicing Batman. So, so cool!

Advertisement