Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batman Arkham City Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,962 ✭✭✭✭Penn

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Sounds class!

http://arkhamcity.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4334

Oh ya, can't wait to see Batman: Year One the animated film that will be released the same day as AC. Strange that Ben Mckenzie is voicing bats but class having Bryan Cranston voicing Gordon!

Just read Year One for the first time this weekend. Great book. Think it'd work really well as an animated film. Look forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Mr. Freeze is now in Batman: Arkham City.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXqj0rpyD2c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Oh now that looks like a much more interesting boss fight than making Bane smack his head off a wall. Still, I hope they left some Titan goons in, they were fun in the bigger melees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Sarky wrote: »
    Oh now that looks like a much more interesting boss fight than making Bane smack his head off a wall. Still, I hope they left some Titan goons in, they were fun in the bigger melees.
    That's my biggest fear for this game. I just hope that the Titan infused henchmen aren't as much of a crutch as they were in Arkham Asylum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

That looks like the Arkham Asylum labs to me....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Rocksteady seem like smart developers; I'd be very surprised if they didn't learn from one of the few complaints about the first game.

It's up against some stiff competition, but this has serious Game of the Year potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm finding the Arkham City comics brilliant. Really getting me in the mood for the game bridging AA and AC together. Just on comic 2, gonna finish 3 & 4 tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Wing126 wrote: »
    Mr. Freeze is now in Batman: Arkham City.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXqj0rpyD2c
    I thought for a moment that Christopher Walken was doing the voice of Mr Freeze.

If freeze is anything to go by it looks like they might have given the bosses a bit more thought for this installment. They were an undoubted low point in AA.

It really looks like they've addressed a lot of the niggles from the first game. I watched the e3 demo and it's clear that you can't just stroll around in detective mode all day either. Enemies and hostages show up but scenery and structures seem to be harder to make out. It looks more like a tool for perching yourself somewhere, turning it on, and planning your next move, then turning it back off and getting on with it. Nice move rocksteady.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭4ndroid

There was an interview with Sefton from Rocksteady(think its on computers and video games.com) where he said boss battles were the last thing they did on AA and they were pretty much "tacked on" cos they ran outta time but one of the big lessons they learned was to stick the developers onto the boss battles from day 1 for AC. Id say there will be a vast vast Vast improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

4ndroid wrote: »
    There was an interview with Sefton from Rocksteady(think its on computers and video games.com) where he said boss battles were the last thing they did on AA and they were pretty much "tacked on" cos they ran outta time but one of the big lessons they learned was to stick the developers onto the boss battles from day 1 for AC. Id say there will be a vast vast Vast improvement.

Well it's good that they can admit that. Although I hope they haven't bitten off more than they can chew this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I was just wondering about a couple of things from the first game, and hoped someone could explain it to me. I'll spoiler them, just in case (but if you haven't played the game then there's something wrong with you! :D ).

How does Arkham Asylum end? It's a while since I played it so I can't fully remember.
    From what I remember, or at least what happened to me, I defeated the Joker and then was left to my own devices on the island. So I went about solving the remaining Riddler puzzles. But I think that once I'd finished with that, that I just quite the game. Was there a specific end to it that I missed? On wikipedia it mentions something about Two-Face robbing a bank and Batman flying off to stop him. I'm trying to remember if this is a cut scene after you beat Joker, or if I missed out on something I was to do, and so missed the actual ending.

Also,
    if you photograph all the history of Arkham markers, is it not revealed that Quincy Sharp is possessed? So I'm wondering how he becomes Mayor of Gotham. It may be explained in the new game (or the prequel comics) but I'm just wondering is it explained in AA at all?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

You're right about the cut scene at the end.
    Bats flies off to the City as mayhem is breaking out there.

humanji wrote: »
    I was just wondering about a couple of things from the first game, and hoped someone could explain it to me. I'll spoiler them, just in case (but if you haven't played the game then there's something wrong with you! :D ).

How does Arkham Asylum end? It's a while since I played it so I can't fully remember.
    From what I remember, or at least what happened to me, I defeated the Joker and then was left to my own devices on the island. So I went about solving the remaining Riddler puzzles. But I think that once I'd finished with that, that I just quite the game. Was there a specific end to it that I missed? On wikipedia it mentions something about Two-Face robbing a bank and Batman flying off to stop him. I'm trying to remember if this is a cut scene after you beat Joker, or if I missed out on something I was to do, and so missed the actual ending.

Also,
    if you photograph all the history of Arkham markers, is it not revealed that Quincy Sharp is possessed? So I'm wondering how he becomes Mayor of Gotham. It may be explained in the new game (or the prequel comics) but I'm just wondering is it explained in AA at all?
    To answer in brief,
    Batman is told by Commissioner Gordon than Two-Face is robbing a bank so he flys off. The "Spirit of Amadeus Arkham" is a split personality Quincy Sharp had developed, that wanted to kill all the patients rather than help them. http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/Quincy_Sharp Going into Arkham City he is taking full credit for stopping The Joker. Arkham Asylum, once the spirits are all found, reveals that Sharp was nuts all along and escaped before you could go back and confront him for being the spirit of arkham.

As for the three alternate endings, I think they're going with
    Bane
    being the one
    to take the venom

A couple of new bits of info from Play magazine's September issue. Detective mode seems to have had quite a nerf, it's weaker on the environment, compass is disabled while using it, it gets knocked off when you take a hit, and there are even some enemies using jammers that disable it who you have to take out before you can use it again.

http://www.gamepur.com/news/4827-play-magazine-reveals-batman-arkham-city-detective-mode-details.html

Detective mode seems to have had quite a nerf

This is a good thing, Detective Mode was too good in AA; I've been replaying the game recently and it's tempting to just use it all the time!

Mr. K wrote: »
    This is a good thing, Detective Mode was too good in AA; I've been replaying the game recently and it's tempting to just use it all the time!

Yep, definitely. It really looks like rocksteady are taking the few common criticisms that the last game did get and addressing them.

There's only been one thing that bugged me about AA that i havent seen mentioned anywhere in terms of it being improved: Precision movements like aiming the grappel gun weren't accurate enough, especially when you were in a hurry, up close to enemies, or in stealth challenges. It's a pain when you want to grappel up to a gargoyle or something quickly, but the targetting system only offers you "RB" to grappel onto a nearby wall or whatever despite looking directly at your target.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Fiesta111

You'll get to play as tim drake's robin. probably a DLC for the PS3, unless rocksteady share something for other consoles...probably not though

Fiesta111 wrote: »
    You'll get to play as tim drake's robin. probably a DLC for the PS3, unless rocksteady share something for other consoles...probably not though

Robin isn't a console exclusive, he's a retailer exclusive (Best Buy in the US, TBA here).

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/06/12/best-buy-pre-order-batman-arkham-city-for-playable-robin/

• Advertisement

Is there a 2 player combat challenge mode? If so, is it fighting each other or co-op? Co-op would be fairly class!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

Is there a 2 player combat challenge mode? If so, is it fighting each other or co-op? Co-op would be fairly class!

Games would be hard to set up because who wants to be Robin when you can be Batman

Nope. I'm prety sure threy've confirmed there will be NO multiplayer. Sefton Hall from rocksteady said it in one of the 10 min run-through demos a while back.

They're concentrating on making the most robust single player experience they can. Good move in my book, we don't need a bad multiplayer mode shoehorned into a solid single player open world game. We already got that from GTA IV.

Agreed, its refreshing to hear a dev say they are concentrating on the SP instead of how to tack on mp. I think co-op would work in the challenge rooms tho.

Oh, The Tosh, I always picked Robin in that batman game on megadrive that played like mortal kombat, can't think of the name, but they could open it up to all the characters in the game.

Oh YES!!!
    XZ8mg.png

limited_edition_detail.jpg

All the info here.
    Looks like there will be two different steeel book edition, the Joker and the Two Face one.
    If I can get my hands on it over here, I will. I was disappointed by the batarang the last time and wont be splashing out for the statue. This is a nice middle ground that I would be more than happy to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭4ndroid

Theres a catwoman steelbook edition too

2z4eonr.jpg

There's a couple of retailers oulined in the link above, but none really that I'd buy from. Never used shopto.net.

Anyone know where to get these?

New info on the challenge modes from the first day of gamescom yesterday.

There's a new "race" mode added to take advantage of the open world setting, more fleshed out charachter choices in the challenges, and better AI than the last game had.

http://gamerant.com/batman-arkham-city-challenge-modes-kyle-100622/

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Gamescom-2011-Hands-Off-Batman-Arkham-City-217170.shtml

As much as I want that staue, I'd rather get the steelbook edition purely for Under the Red Hood. Great film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

You can only get em' online? Gheeeeeey.... :(

Advertisement