Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Season thread

Options
  • 05-08-2010 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭

what are peoples HONEST opinions on the new season. i know we can do a liverpool on it and win the champs league with a large slice of luck but im fairly sure we wont. we would be doing very well to get out of the group in my opinion (assuming we qualify of course)

will city get in the top 4, i think they have bought lots more mediocre players. they are going to sell the likes of bellamy who will give you 100% in a game and bringing in toure etc who may start to sulk if things go against them

will we stay in top 4? i think we will find it hard

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Its going to be hard to come fourth this year, hopefully Cesc will leave the scum and they'll be sucked back into the battle for a CL spot, putting 3rd and 4th into play between Us, City, Pool, Arse and Everton/Villa if they step up..

A very successful season for us would be getting out of the CL Group and finishing fourth imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jonp

Assuming we make it through to the group stages of the Champions League, I think it is going to be very tough to stay top four in the Premiership but not impossible. Teams usually struggle to cope in their first CL season (think Blackburn and Newcastle) and the League form suffers as well. Having said that, I think that Harry will like the challenge of it all and will hopefully have a few tricks up his sleeve to get us through the CL group.

Realistically I think we are going to be one of six challenging for a top four spot. Liverpool I think will be a lot stronger this time out. City is a hard one to call, you can buy lots of players but it doesn’t always make a good team. Plus I agree with Mickman in that the players they have got in so far are not that good. I hate to say it but I can see Arsenal right up at the top for most of the season. The only question is will they have the legs to finish it. I think we may well find ourselves down to the wire again in a forth-fifth battle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

jonp wrote: »
    Assuming we make it through to the group stages of the Champions League, I think it is going to be very tough to stay top four in the Premiership but not impossible. Teams usually struggle to cope in their first CL season (think Blackburn and Newcastle) and the League form suffers as well. Having said that, I think that Harry will like the challenge of it all and will hopefully have a few tricks up his sleeve to get us through the CL group.

Realistically I think we are going to be one of six challenging for a top four spot. Liverpool I think will be a lot stronger this time out. City is a hard one to call, you can buy lots of players but it doesn’t always make a good team. Plus I agree with Mickman in that the players they have got in so far are not that good. I hate to say it but I can see Arsenal right up at the top for most of the season. The only question is will they have the legs to finish it. I think we may well find ourselves down to the wire again in a forth-fifth battle.

arsenals season depends on fabregas. if he stays will his heart be in it? if he is not at his best then they are not great

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

We need to start doing the double over teams like Bolton and Stoke and wolves to progress this season

We need to start doing the double over teams like Bolton and Stoke and wolves to progress this season

very true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

No doubt about, the champions league is somewhat a poision chalice (but I would'nt give it up for anyhting in the world :D).

It's gonna be very difficult to compete in the group stages if we get there and maintain a top 4 challenge.

However, a couple of results in the group stages could really tansfer into great moral and goo form and drive us on in the league!

I think Arsenal will be there next season. Both Nasri and Arshevin will come to the fore if fabregas leaves.. espically Nasri who has been playing in the Fabregras role in pre-season and doing very well at it.

Chamech (spelling?) could be the missing link from last season too.. big, powerful etc.

Citeh will be there or thereabouts too.. plus they don't have the hassle of mid week CL matches

we need 3-4 more players to be able to cope with all the competitions. last season we were stuck for centre halves and centre midfielders and we havent strengthened in those positions at all

Yeah, we have half a dozen half decent or half fit central defenders, and apart from Dawson you dunno who you are going to get on the day and what way they'll play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

So another new season is upon us again. I can’t believe it has come around so quickly. So what can we expect for our Spurs in 10/11 ?

I think this really is a tough one to call. I suppose I should be bursting with positivity after last season’s triumphant entry into the top 4 against all the odds. It was a massive achievement that required tonnes of hard work and especially “bottle”, the rarest commodity in our resent history.

So why is it that I’m slightly afraid of what is to come over the next 9 months ? I think the main reason is probably based on previous false dawns. We’ve all been burnt so many times by this football club, I find it very hard to honestly believe that they will continue to make the right decisions that will keep the club progressing. I almost expect Spurs to implode. I suppose I’m damaged goods.

However most of facts point to Spurs being a major force again this season.

Firstly our players have a newfound belief in themselves following last season’s success. The belief that they can go toe to toe with the best sides and come out on top, the belief that they can outplay any team visits the Lane, the belief that they can go to difficult places and get results against the odds. This belief is priceless.

Secondly we have not had to sell any of our top players to direct competition, so many previous summers were dominated by damaging sales (Carrick and Berbatov spring to mind). Selling valuable assets to rival clubs is the football equivalent of a 2 shot swing in golf. Securing 4th place was massive in this regard, and the proof of the pudding was seen when Modric and Bale signed major contract extensions in May.

Thirdly the continuity/stability of keeping the same manager in place. I was delighted to see Redknapp putting pen to paper on a new contract a few weeks ago. Stability is something we have rarely had in my time supporting this great club. It’s so important that the same ethos and standards are maintained. Redknapp has done such a marvellous job since he came to Spurs, his win/loss/PPG stats speak for themselves.

The only slightly disappointing aspect of the pre season is the lack of transfer activity, but as anyone with half a brain knows, signing top professional footballers in this day and age isn’t like the Football Manager video game. I’m hopeful that Harry will get his Man/Men in the end, however if the window were to close tonight I wouldn’t loose any sleep over it.

To summarise, I think Spurs are in the strongest position we have ever been in going into a new premier league season, but Spurs being Spurs I’m half expecting a collapse. So my prediction:

Another top 4 placing in the league and Champions league football after Christmas. The domestic cups are a much of a muchness. Although it would be nice to win one again, we’ve moved on to bigger things and they could prove to be unwelcome

Last season we left it very late to do business as well it was only at this stage really we started doing business have to say I'm hoping we push on this season and we do have a big squad so hopefully we can handle the extra games.

• Advertisement

Striker Nicolas Anelka has tipped London rivals Tottenham to win the Premier League and claims reigning champions Chelsea are prioritising UEFA Champions League glory this season.
    The France striker has revealed his admiration for Harry Redknapp's side and believes that Spurs can build on last season's fourth-place finish and win the league for the first time since 1961.
    Anelka told The Sun: "I rate Spurs very highly. They are absolute favourites to win the title."
    After coming close in previous seasons, Anelka insists Carlo Ancelotti's men are eyeing European glory this term.
    "Our aim this season is to finally win the Champions League,spacer.gif" he stated.
    "Could we win a treble, the way Inter Milanspacer.gif did last season? Not so fast - it will be a tough job just to defend our league title."
    Competitive

Despite his prediction that Spurs will be crowned champions, Anelka reckons this season's Premier League title race will be the closest ever.
    He added: "Our biggest rivals will of course be Manchester United,spacer.gif Liverpool and Arsenal,spacer.gif while Manchester Cityspacer.gif could play a major role.
    "I believe that this will be the most thrilling season ever in the history of the Premier League."

That's crazy never thought I'd hear that from someone I wonder does he know something we don't!!

That's crazy never thought I'd hear that from someone I wonder does he know something we don't!!

Strange thing to say but then again this is Anelka we're talking about!

Good post Dublin spur..I think you summed it up perfectly. Years of false dawns have scared us all... and with Spurs, you just know its going to be the daftest thing that will set of a chain of events leading to yet another false dawn.

Still, as you pointed out there are lots of reasons to be positive.

A good start to the season vs. Man city, Young boys etc could really pave the way for another great season.

No matter what happens, I think we have too good of a squad to be anything less then 6th place and I can see us putting one over on a few of the 'big four' again this year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Manic087

i think Dublin Spur has kinda nailed it on the head there. I'd be very hopeful of the coming season. The importance of not losing Bale or Modric cannot be said often enough. We have some good young players coming through and being honest I don't think we need too many players brought in as we have competition at virtually every position.

I'd be hoping for another top 4 and good run in champs league...but i'm not underestimating Young Boys as we were all happy when we got Pompey in the Cup semi-final and look what happened there.

Here's hoping for a great season boys...oh and great to be back on boards...was awol for a little while due to family thing but back on now!!!

Advertisement