Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Correction Analysis

Options
  • 05-08-2010 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hey,I couldnt find another thread on this so I thought I'd start one but feel free to move it if there is one.
    I was just wondering if anyone has heard anything on how the LC was corrected this year.Obviously they're all corrected by this stage so has anyone heard anything from teachers,colleagues about how it was marked: hard,student friendly,easy,leniant etc....
    I'm probably wording this all wrong but I hope you get my drift.
    Also I heard the bellcurve is being abolished so news on this would be great too.
    Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

A corrector I know said that they were making a lot of changes to the marking scheme of her particular subject this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

We all received letters saying not to speak about what went on, to be honest analysing it will either worry or lull into a false sense of security. It was done fairly and that was all we could do. As for bellcurve...I wish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

We all received letters saying not to speak about what went on, to be honest analysing it will either worry or lull into a false sense of security. It was done fairly and that was all we could do. As for bellcurve...I wish!

I know you've just said you can't speak about it, but was it in any way significantly different to other years? You don't need to say how or why...

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

could any correcter just see how the papers where marked as the first poster said,it wont harm its just a describtion of how well did the students do compared to last year

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

I don't think ye will get much said here, after the last thread a few correctors let stuff slip, and then the thread was moved to somewhere we can't see it. Apparently some of the marking schemes were very "student friendly", according to a comment one teacher left.

Another teacher was moaning that after correcting one batch of papers that "they changed the whole marking scheme on us yesterday"

Read into these anyway you want to.

There were a few other snippets of information let slip too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

ayumi wrote: »
    could any correcter just see how the papers where marked as the first poster said,it wont harm its just a describtion of how well did the students do compared to last year

Correctors wouldn't know that. Their supervisors (Advising Examiners) might be able to give the figures for their group of bags, but only the Chief Examiners would have the full story.

There is rarely much change year to year - that's the whole point of adjusting the marking schemes, otherwise the Leaving would become like wine, some years being a 'better' Leaving than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Dafydd Thomas

Its the same in all subjects. I know a teacher who corrects and in their subject they correct 100 papers and then change around the marking scheme to keep the standard even every year. I don't see why this is a big deal as the exam is different every year. It's fair if you ask me. However what isn't fair is moving students down which could affect the overall grade. If you feel that your paper wasn't marked correctly then you should get it re-corrected, and if anything was moved down you should get the original grade.

Advertisement