Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not receiving sky channels in my apartment

Options
  • 05-08-2010 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

I'm an owner occupier and have been living in my apartment for 4 years now. There is a communal sky dish on the roof. I have a sky box connected and don't pay any subscription as I am only interested in receiving the freeview channels. The problem is, ever since I connected the box about a year ago I have had a very weak signal and don't receive most of the freeview channels. The few ones I get are poor quality (glitchy, on and off). The annoying thing is that no one else in the apartment building seems to be experiencing the same problem.

I have been pleading with the management company for almost a year now to try to resolve the problem. A guy from Sky has been called out a few times, every time he does something to the dish or the 'switches' but it hasn't worked so far. The dish has even been replaced but to no avail! The problem definitely is not with my sky box as it is working fine.

Now the management company say that the problem is with the cabling, something about my apartment not being properly connected when the complex was built. I keep having to chase up with them and they hardly ever call me back. I feel I'm really getting the run around here. The latest news is that they will get a guy from Sky to have a look at my connection to see what can be done (this will be his second visit).

This is just really frustrating for me. I want to rent my place out soon and I know that this problem would put people off my apartment. Does anyone know what can be done to resolve this? Is this the management company's responsibility or the builders? I'm extremely p1ssed off at this stage and am considering refusing to pay the service charge or at least the sky maintenance part of it. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

you have a bit of a cheek complaining in fairness. how about you actually pay a subscription and if you have a problem then complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

This has nothing to do with whether or not a subscription is paid, the issue here is potentially substandard electrical work done first day. I dunno what you'd get from contacting the builders, not sure things like homebond cover this, it sounds like it might be a personal exercise to arrange an electrician to work with the management company in improving your feed!

You don't mention if the feed is poor in general or just your apartment, but I'm taking it the problem is local to yours....otherwise yes the management company would have to look after it as a general issue but it sounds like they have tried that.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

Re D3P0

In fairness you don't really know what you're talking about. The issue isn't about whether I pay for the channels or not. Plenty of people have a sky connection and don't pay a subscription as they only want the freeview channels. And everyone actually has a legal right to watch freeview television. It's not like I'm 'milking the system' or anything. Paying a subscription wouldn't resolve the issue - the problem would still be there. And why would I do that anyway? Pay for receiving no channels? Come on....

If anyone has any genuine advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

This has nothing to do with whether or not a subscription is paid, the issue here is potentially substandard electrical work done first day. at.

and how do you know this ?

Freeview is ropey at the best of times. If its not been tested with a genuine good feed from a subscription service theres absolutly no gaurantee that theres anything wrong at all

This has nothing to do with whether or not a subscription is paid, the issue here is potentially substandard electrical work done first day. I dunno what you'd get from contacting the builders, not sure things like homebond cover this, it sounds like it might be a personal exercise to arrange an electrician to work with the management company in improving your feed!

You don't mention if the feed is poor in general or just your apartment, but I'm taking it the problem is local to yours....otherwise yes the management company would have to look after it as a general issue but it sounds like they have tried that.

Cheers for that, yeah, the problem seems to be only affecting my apartment. The management company keep giving me the runaround and I was wondering how I can get this sorted, esp. if they are legally obliged to sort this out or what my legal entitlements are.

• Advertisement

Porkpie wrote: »
    Re D3P0

In fairness you don't really know what you're talking about. The issue isn't about whether I pay for the channels or not. Plenty of people have a sky connection and don't pay a subscription as they only want the freeview channels. And everyone actually has a legal right to watch freeview television. It's not like I'm 'milking the system' or anything. Paying a subscription wouldn't resolve the issue - the problem would still be there. And why would I do that anyway? Pay for receiving no channels? Come on....

If anyone has any genuine advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

dont put words in my mouth. where did i say you were milking the system ? Freeview is notorious for bad and poor reception. You have zero basis to believe there is a fault in your apartment unless a subscription service has the same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

D3PO wrote: »
    Freeview is ropey at the best of times. If its not been tested with a genuine good feed from a subscription service theres absolutly no gaurantee that theres anything wrong at all

Eh, what?

A few little details to clear up for you...

We're talking about the satellite that sits on the roof and has a wire running to the television....somewhere between the two Porkpie is having a quality issue and hence his Skybox (Freeview is not satellite btw) is showing and no doubt in the test section reporting a poor signal quality/strength.

This has NOTHING to do with pay/free/magic subscription services, its a physical problem.

Cheers for that, yeah, the problem seems to be only affecting my apartment. The management company keep giving me the runaround and I was wondering how I can get this sorted, esp. if they are legally obliged to sort this out or what my legal entitlements are.

Theres some heads here that could clarify more for you whether this is covered by a) Homebond or b) Management Company...I personally think neither can be held accountable and its the kind of thing that should be in a first day snag list (I know, who in the real world tests their satellite feed!). Its the builders mistake but I think its gonna be your cost to repair/replace the feed to your apartment!

Just my opinion, I'll be pleased if I'm wrong ;)

A few little details to clear up for you...

We're talking about the satellite that sits on the roof and has a wire running to the television....somewhere between the two Porkpie is having a quality issue and hence his Skybox (Freeview is not satellite btw) is showing and no doubt in the test section reporting a poor signal quality/strength.

This has NOTHING to do with pay/free/magic subscription services, its a physical problem.

Im not so sure but we can agree to disagree here. Id be interested in hearing what those on the cable & tv forum would have to say here.

• Advertisement

Im not so sure but we can agree to disagree here. Id be interested in hearing what those on the cable & tv forum would have to say here.

As would I, I'm not trying to be mean here but you need to start digging up :)

What is it you're not sure about, the OP was quite clear about what the issue is?

Btw when the OP says "freeview channels" in his post, he means those channels that are free to air over satellite....not the uk antenna service called Freeview

I would imagine that, seeing as the signal is coming from the same dish, it wouldn't make any difference. A guy from Sky came around before and did a proper test with all the equipment and he confirmed that the problem definitely was definitely with the switches that the cable runs through. A subscription service will not improve my signal.

What is it you're not sure about, the OP was quite clear about what the issue is?

Im not so sure your right re there is an issue. I dont believe this is the case.

what Im saying is the OP has been clear about what the percieve the problem is. Im just saying I dont believe that has been proved yet.

as for what the OP can do about it , theres not much. You cant withold the service management fee. As for whos responsible for it hes said Sky have been out and are coming out again.

IF and I still believe thats a big IF its a fault then it needs to be understood where the fault lies

is it Sky ? Is it the cabling ? Is it down to a fault with the freeview reeciever etc and only when you know whos at fault can you figure out who should be resolving it.

I would imagine that, seeing as the signal is coming from the same dish, it wouldn't make any difference. A guy from Sky came around before and did a proper test with all the equipment and he confirmed that the problem definitely was definitely with the switches that the cable runs through. A subscription service will not improve my signal.

ok therfore the Sky guy has tested this. You didnt mention that in your first post.

If its a switch issue then to me that should be the management company who need to sort it and not Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Hi Porkpie.

I used to work for ntl many years ago on apartment installations.
    Sometimes there is a joint box for the tv cables in a small box near your fuse board. This box is installed so cables within the apartment can be run and work completed internally ( ie plastering etc) while being built.
    The electricians then run cables from your apartment to a central location.

There may be a chance the connection in the joint box inside your apartment was badly done, might be worth checking.

Note : not all apartment were done this way, but might help.

Chef

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Had a similar thing in an apartment complex with NTL, went down to the basement and changed the cable over to a different output, and everything was fixed.

From the sounds of it, your cable has damage somewhere along it's run (kinked likely, or core and shield are touching).

First thing is to try and re-do the connection at your end at the wall socket (it sounds like the satellite side has already been done), if that doesn't fix it, you'll have to run a new cable, is there access to do this? Could it be run along an external wall? How many connections is there in your apartment? (please say at least two :) both should have seperate feeds).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Theres some heads here that could clarify more for you whether this is covered by a) Homebond or b) Management Company

Homebond only cover structural issues (and from personal experience in my apartment block, only then if they feel like it). The Management Agent (rather than the company of which you are a part) may be giving you the run around by not returning calls, etc but it does sound like they have at least tried to fix your problem. If the connection was always dodgy, then why have you been putting up with it for 4 years? I would try to negotiate with the Agent. Get your own electrician to investigate your specific wiring and ask them to pay half maybe?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

It is not the responsibility of the management company, unless specified in your Lease Contract or other contracts that TV signal must be supplied.

It is up to you to get someone to resolve the issue.

It sounds like Sky and your management agent have done what they can, at their own expense.

It could be, as chef said, a connection box issue. You need to get someone who can do a signal quality check on the line, and try to trace connections between your TV socket and the satellite dish. It is most likely a junction box that connects your unit to the other systems, since your neighbours don't seem to have the issue.

Find your local connection box, check that the cables are connected properly, and failing that, hire someone with the proper tools and knowledge to check all the connections and cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

You would probably get more help in the satellite forum. Lots of knowledgeable people post in that forum, who would be better able to give you advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

ed

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

I'm an owner occupier and have been living in my apartment for 4 years now. There is a communal sky dish on the roof. I have a sky box connected and don't pay any subscription as I am only interested in receiving the freeview channels. The problem is, ever since I connected the box about a year ago I have had a very weak signal and don't receive most of the freeview channels. The few ones I get are poor quality (glitchy, on and off). The annoying thing is that no one else in the apartment building seems to be experiencing the same problem.

I have been pleading with the management company for almost a year now to try to resolve the problem. A guy from Sky has been called out a few times, every time he does something to the dish or the 'switches' but it hasn't worked so far. The dish has even been replaced but to no avail! The problem definitely is not with my sky box as it is working fine.

Now the management company say that the problem is with the cabling, something about my apartment not being properly connected when the complex was built. I keep having to chase up with them and they hardly ever call me back. I feel I'm really getting the run around here. The latest news is that they will get a guy from Sky to have a look at my connection to see what can be done (this will be his second visit).

This is just really frustrating for me. I want to rent my place out soon and I know that this problem would put people off my apartment. Does anyone know what can be done to resolve this? Is this the management company's responsibility or the builders? I'm extremely p1ssed off at this stage and am considering refusing to pay the service charge or at least the sky maintenance part of it. Any advice would be much appreciated.

After four years starting to complain?????? Catch a grip man. How does anyone know that the service was ok and then something went wrong your end and now you are looking to blame others. The - lets blame others - policy is most certainly alive and kicking. Fix the Fffing thing yourself. You own the flat. Does NEFF send someone around when a fuse goes in your kettle, does SONY send someone around to replace your batteries in your remote?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

mrgaa1 wrote: »
    After four years starting to complain?????? Catch a grip man. How does anyone know that the service was ok and then something went wrong your end and now you are looking to blame others. The - lets blame others - policy is most certainly alive and kicking. Fix the Fffing thing yourself. You own the flat. Does NEFF send someone around when a fuse goes in your kettle, does SONY send someone around to replace your batteries in your remote?

I dont agree with this at all. He has established that its not his sky box that is at fault, and management company is saying there is a problem with cabling running to his apartment.

That is part of the infrastructure of the apartment block, same as water and electricity. If there was a problem with electrics running to his apartment, nobody would be saying 'fix it yourself'. This is the same thing in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

marathont wrote: »
    I dont agree with this at all. He has established that its not his sky box that is at fault, and management company is saying there is a problem with cabling running to his apartment.

That is part of the infrastructure of the apartment block, same as water and electricity. If there was a problem with electrics running to his apartment, nobody would be saying 'fix it yourself'. This is the same thing in my opinion.

And the ESB would charge you to come out and investigate.

It is not a management company issue. Unlike electricity, I doubt that the privision of TV servers are written in to the contracts. Therefore, it is up to the unit owner to have any such issues resolved personally.

Advertisement