Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I know it's cheap ammo BUT

Options
  • 05-08-2010 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone ever figured out the ballistic coefficient and or muzzle velocity of the hollow point American Eagle Ammo for the .223, think it is 50 grain

On the box it is listed as AE223G. The Federal website does not give the BC for the round/load. The muzzle velocity and mini drop chart on the box does not match the information on the website for the same round i.e. AE223G

I have a few boxes and was going to try and make a drop chart for it but am falling at the first hurdle.

If I cant do up a theoretical one as a starting point I suppose I'll just do it the old fashioned way

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Quick google search reveals

Federal Amer Eagle 176 223 Rem. 50 Federal Jacketed Hollow Point 3400 0.206 AE223G

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭sharky0922

so maybe for HPS .308 168 gr too? intershoot didnt came back to me yet.
    anybody knows input data for those?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Quick google search reveals

Federal Amer Eagle 176 223 Rem. 50 Federal Jacketed Hollow Point 3400 0.206 AE223G

Tried everything last night and couldn't find this, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

Whats the ammo like in practice?

When I was considering buying a .223 the ammo prices were discussed in the shop, and the american Eagle brand wasnt recommended, Is it that bad?

Mac

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

sharky0922 wrote: »
    so maybe for HPS .308 168 gr too?

Approx. 2800 - 2850fps.

mac80 wrote:
    Is it that bad

Cheap, cheerful, accurate and brilliant. I don't care if its €10 per box or €30 per box. The fact that it consistantly shoots one hole groups is all i want. Accuracy and precision.

Many have said its a "dirty" bullet, but every gun shop i have been in stock some sort of cleaning products. Just buy and use them. :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭sharky0922

mac80 wrote: »

When I was considering buying a .223 the ammo prices were discussed in the shop, and the american Eagle brand wasnt recommended, Is it that bad?

Mac

depends what you using, i have rem 700 1:12 twist, and it wont take AE 55gr . but i was talking with tikka owner, and he was very happy with them, to about 200 yd, on 300 was some problems, cant remember.

i have a spread like from shooting m 60
    here is the picture:
    first 3 (red)
    second 3 (yellow) . i couldnt believe that..so i switched to hornady quickly and last three shots is blue. aiming point for all of them is center circle (2 inch)of course.

snc13066.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

it looks like every 2nd 3rd head is damage or off the weight.
    Approx. 2800 - 2850fps.
    thanks ezri

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

mac80 wrote: »

Mac

It isnt that bad at all - As a matter of fact my remy 700 in .223 loves em.
    It doesnt like the boat tailed .223 american eagles and have gotten crap groupings like the ones above with them but it does like the flat base american eagles. Of course Hornady .223 rounds are better quaity etc etc but for gettin some bunny action the american eagles in flat base are great - what kind of rifle do you have ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

I ended up buying a CZ Silhouette 17 HMR, love the rifle, great for gettin Grey backs etc and not hard on the pocket to shoot.
    The cost of 223 ammo put me off getting one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

My rem 700 hates AE.

Some rifles seem to like them a lot. I wonder how well they group at 200.

Advertisement