Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USB Harddrive prob

• 05-08-2010 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭

HI,

My usb harrdrive is no longer showing up in My COmputer, so I can't access the files.

When i plug it in (to any computer), I get the little msgs at the bottom right of the screen, saying it's been installed etc...but I can't view the files anywhere?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

There's nothing showing up under My Computer? What drives can you see?

Try going to Tools -> Folder Options -> View and show Hidden Files, in case for some reason it's hidden!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Right click My Computer, choose Manage from the menu,click Disk Management on the left hand pane, report back on what drives you can see. With the USB disk plugged in obviously !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

thanks for the replies.
    Forgot to mention that this happens on a few different computers.
    I lokoed at the disk management, and it's showing all drives except the harddrive.
    Also, selecting to view hidden files didn't work either.

It's really weird. I thought that if the drive was knackered, it wouldn't be detected at all?
    But I get the 'new **** installed' ...can't remember what it exactly says..
    Also, in the 'Safely remove hardware' system tray icon, theere is the option to 'eject external hdd'.

So it's definetly being seen, power it there...jjust now displaying drive letter or files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I'd suggest replacing the enclosure, if the drive is big enough/the data valuable enough to keep. Enclosures are cheap, esp from HongKong instead of Maplin, or a cable solution (kinda like an enclosure without the box).Probably less than eur10. Or maybe a PC shop near you might have a cable they could test this possibility with.

Remember hard disks DO fail. Any data you'd really hate to lose (home family videos,etc,etc) should be backed up to more than 1 location.

Advertisement