Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cashing Cheques

Options
  • 05-08-2010 4:02pm
    Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Asking on behalf of my girlfriend of whom has started a relatively new job that, for some reason, pays by cheque up to next week before using more traditional methods.

Sad part is that they are apparantly hard to cash in Galway as not many people accept them. She's asked me to inquire about places in Galway that cash cheques so if anyone has any helpful advice we'd really appreciate it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Is there any reason she can't just deposit it into her bank account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Unless it's a government cheque nowhere will cash it. Those days are long gone. You have to lodge it to your bank account. If you explain that it is wages the bank may lift the hold on it. Otherwise be aware that for cheques drawn on the same bank it will take 3 days to cash, and to from one bank to another(BOI to AIB) for example, 5 working days. Hope you get yourself sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Cant think of anywhere to be honest. If she is a regular in any shop were the owners/staff know who she is you could chance your arm asking them if they mind cashing it. I know when working in a local bar we did this for our regulars. Other then that the Bank would be the best option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Honestly, if she explains it's a wage cheque when she's lodging it they might do something for her in the bank:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Maja

RopeDrink wrote: »
    I'll let her know - Thanks, it'd certainly be handy for her. Not only did she not get paid thanks to them drafting her in for one week in hand (and having done her first day on the last day of the week thus missing all Race Week's money) but she then has to wait a further 3+ days for the cheque to be cashed ;)

So aye, you can understand why she's wondering if there's a faster method!

Thats not fair. If they want to pay with check, they should give them few days earlier. The only way to cash check is to go to the branch where employer has his account (but thats unfortunately not always in Galway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,479 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I think Cash Creators in Mary St have a cheque cashing facility. They take some sort of commission for doing it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

If see lodges it into the bank branch where her actual account is it goes straight into that account at the close of business that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you're known to them, there are businesses in Galway that will cash cheques.

I'm not willing to name names, let's just say that the key thing is being known.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭seabre

If the cheque is drawn on a galway bank and is not crossed she will be able to cash it in that branch so long as its not crossed. She will need photo ID.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

seabre wrote: »
    If the cheque is drawn on a galway bank and is not crossed she will be able to cash it in that branch so long as its not crossed. She will need photo ID.
    Boards to the rescue.

Not exactly helpful information this, but a place I worked in a few years ago will not cash any kind of cheque any more. Not even a dole cheque.

Must have gotten burned at some stage.

Hope you get it sorted OP. I know how you feel. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

As long as she goes into the bank that the cheque originated from she should be able to cash it ie:if the cheque was drawn from a BOI bank account on Main st, she should go into BOI Main st with valid ID and they should cash it for her.
    As long as the account it was drawn on has adequate funds it should be cashed no problem. If the cheque is crossed then it will have to be lodged regardless of whether its a wage cheque or not.
    If she can't go to the branch that it was drawn on she may have some luck in another branch, depends on branch protocol, the bank i used to work for had strict rules regarding the cashing of other branches cheques, regardless of the amount we would have to call and recieve verification before cashing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

shinikins wrote: »
    As long as she goes into the bank that the cheque originated from she should be able to cash it ie:if the cheque was drawn from a BOI bank account on Main st, she should go into BOI Main st with valid ID and they should cash it for her.
    As long as the account it was drawn on has adequate funds it should be cashed no problem. If the cheque is crossed then it will have to be lodged regardless of whether its a wage cheque or not.
    If she can't go to the branch that it was drawn on she may have some luck in another branch, depends on branch protocol, the bank i used to work for had strict rules regarding the cashing of other branches cheques, regardless of the amount we would have to call and recieve verification before cashing anything.

Even with the branch it is drawn on, this is still a variable. The term 'crossed' is not the same to everyone. A large amount of business cheques come pre-printed with two lines in there, and many young bank staff deem this a 'cross'.
    'A/C payee only' or '& Co' , 'not negotiable',*written* in there are forms of cross. AFAIK they all mean lodgement is necessary before payment.

I, on a few occasions have gone to the Branch one of those pre-printed cheques was drawn on, and have had to haggle a little bit. One of the senior staff now knows me, and it isn't a problem, but the younger staff always refuse until I push it.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

If you're a regular in any bar , they should have no problem cashing it. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

inisboffin wrote: »
    Even with the branch it is drawn on, this is still a variable. The term 'crossed' is not the same to everyone. A large amount of business cheques come pre-printed with two lines in there, and many young bank staff deem this a 'cross'.
    'A/C payee only' or '& Co' , 'not negotiable',*written* in there are forms of cross. AFAIK they all mean lodgement is necessary before payment.

I, on a few occasions have gone to the Branch one of those pre-printed cheques was drawn on, and have had to haggle a little bit. One of the senior staff now knows me, and it isn't a problem, but the younger staff always refuse until I push it.

Strictly speaking, your cheque should not have been cashed for you at all, but you know a member of staff who will vouch for you, so it has been. Any form of crossing means a cheque should be lodged only, this includes the examples you showed above, or any form of handwritten crossing.

OP, another choice your girlfriend has is to have a friend lodge it to their a/c and give her the cash for it, she just needs to sign and date the back of it, unfortunately if it is crossed though, she will need to lodge it to her own a/c.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

shinikins wrote: »
    Strictly speaking, your cheque should not have been cashed for you at all, but you know a member of staff who will vouch for you, so it has been. Any form of crossing means a cheque should be lodged only, this includes the examples you showed above, or any form of handwritten crossing.

OP, another choice your girlfriend has is to have a friend lodge it to their a/c and give her the cash for it, she just needs to sign and date the back of it, unfortunately if it is crossed though, she will need to lodge it to her own a/c.

This is where it gets into a grey area, I actually RANG BOI to check this, as it happens almost every time. They said that the preprinted double line (nothing written in there) is very common on a lot of cheques, but is not a full crossing. It means that the amount (if drawn on the bank you try to cash it in) is payable *only* to the person named, and with ID. It is the difference between an 'open cross' (nothing in there) and a written cross (like not negotiable etc). I didn't actually know personally anyone in that bank, but the first time I went in, I mentioned these facts to the senior member (after she also questioned the crossing) and then she said, 'oh ok, yes, that's right', and cashed it ever since (I get these every 2 months or so). Another senior staff member also always does, and doesn't know me really.

However, even within the bank, not everyone seems to agree/know this!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I got a cheque recently drawn on an account in an AIB branch in Dublin. It had the preprinted double lines on it. The cheque was coming from AXA, and was for a reatively small amount.

I went in to AIB Lynches Castle to cash it, only to be told that in order to cash it I'd have to go to the branch it was drawn on (due to it being crossed) as the branches are deemed to be seperate companies.

Otherwise, if I had an AIB account, I could lodge it and get my money in 3 days, or I could lodge it to an account in a different bank and get my money in 5 days.

So, AIB (and probably the rest of the banks) seem to be incapable of checking internally if there are funds available to meet the cheque.

To be honest, I felt that it was a cop out; they really do try to make things as awkward as possible for their customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

Can someone who works in a bank please tell me why it takes 5 days for inter bank transfers and 3 days for a cheque, it is the 21st century after all, or is it a manual system? Or does it sit in some resevoir account gaining interest then is passed on to the customer? :confused: Kind of annoying especially when in this country we the tax payers are going to be paying off their debts for who knows how long?!

Advertisement