Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo DS Charger multimetering

Options
  • 05-08-2010 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭

So I fixed the fuses, but I have no idea why the DS won't charge now.

The F1 fuse is connected to the same trace as one of the pins of the charger. I've tested it and it's fine. However I have no idea how to multimeter the charger to ensure it's providing a voltage. The LED doesn't come on on the DS.

DSConnectorOn.jpg

If I put the red end of the multimeter on the +5V and the black one on the GND, with the charger plugged in and powered on, should I get a voltage? Because I'm not :P

Any other ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Use the DS, Plug in charger , and multimeter off some large ground point (the cart slot) and the top of f1

EDIT, to answer your edit, yes! Faulty charger syndrome

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Silly one, but does the DS turn on? Battery could be full

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Use the DS, Plug in charger , and multimeter off some large ground point (the cart slot) and the top of f1

I can't use the DS because to get at F1 I need the cover off and I've no way to keep the battery in. Us mere mortals have 2 hands :D

With the charger in and metering between the +5V pin on the charger socket and the large ground (card slot) I'm not getting any voltage - is the charger wrecked? If it is then that'd be a bit of relief but I won't know until Sunday when I get the spare charger up to me

Silly one, but does the DS turn on? Battery could be full

Yeah, red light, UI says low battery. Multimetering the battery gives 3.5v or so so it's practically flat.

*Edit: Cheers witnessmenow, time to get a new charger! I guess i was secondguessing my fuse skills :P *

Hacked and slashed me a USB charger, cleaned up a really terrible mess I made at the ground point for the battery terminal and there we are, charging away beside me - happy days! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Agreed on the charger. Measuring the output without the DS attatched is fine, as a multi-meter acts as a consumer (unless its set in ammeter/resistance mode). No voltage is pretty conclusive.

Advertisement